Broke Bike Mountain!

Kel

• Member Contributer

Here's what happens when you speed down bumpy roads full of pot holes, rock ledge, frost heaves, random chunks of pavement, creeks, hiking trails, boulders, and storm wash. I never have seen a fork seal blow like this before. I've had them fail but nothing like this. If you saw some of the roads we were on, you probably wouldn't be surprised. What started out like a fun "Long Way Round" gravel road excursion, turned into a "Wrong Way Down" fire road Moto. Still fun though wink.gif That seal didn't have 1500 miles on it.

gallery_13847_4219_243699.jpg

Broke Bike Mountain!

Don't forget to replace those brake pads. I learned the hard way that they can't be cleaned after being oiled.

Oodles of brake cleaner spray, hot soapy water, disc and pads rendered 100% spotless, reassemble everything, one lap around the block, get some heat in the pads = oily rotors again. sad.gif

• Member Contributer
Were the seals OEM or aftermarket?

Against my better judgment, they were after market. I always get Honda seals but thought I'd try these. Don't know if the failure was quality or the punishment, but the replacements will definitely be OEM.

• Member Contributer

Man, Kel, sorry about that. Strike two for the VFR vs. KTM poll. Quite the ride, though. I have NEVER ridden a road anything close to that before on the VFR. Not sure I would do it again, but it was certainly an adventure.

Here's what happens when you speed down bumpy roads full of pot holes, rock ledge, frost heaves, random chunks of pavement, creeks, hiking trails, boulders, and storm wash. I never have seen a fork seal blow like this before. I've had them fail but nothing like this. If you saw some of the roads we were on, you probably wouldn't be surprised. What started out like a fun "Long Way Round" gravel road excursion, turned into a "Wrong Way Down" fire road Moto. Still fun though wink.gif That seal didn't have 1500 miles on it.

Broke Bike Mountain!

Hey Kel,

I was looking over the route and could only guess that the road that this incident may have occured on was Hurricane Mountain Road. I have been on this road twice and I know how bad it is. Any road that is closed in the winter is typically not well maintained. Looks like you guys had great weather. Good luck with the bike.

-Bliss-

• Member Contributer

Broke Bike Mountain!

Hey Kel,

I was looking over the route and could only guess that the road that this incident may have occured on was Hurricane Mountain Road. I have been on this road twice and I know how bad it is. Any road that is closed in the winter is typically not well maintained. Looks like you guys had great weather. Good luck with the bike.

-Bliss-

Bryan,

You think Hurricane Mountain Road is bad, you ain't seen nothin'. Ask the guys about Sandwich Notch Road. That's probably where the seal broke loose. It's nothing more than a glorified hiking trail -- and we rode 8 miles of it!! I just posted the ride report, you can read about it there.

~Chris

• Member Contributer

Broke Bike Mountain!

Hey Kel,

-Bliss-

I think that was the start for sure. I went from fully unloaded to fully compressed 100 times. That is the most distorted road I've ever been on. I swear I got both wheels off the ground only to land and immediately slam a chunk of granite sticking up through a frost heave, unsettling the bike enough to make it difficult to avoid the 5" drop off of the pavements edge, right before a 40 degree inclined hairpin with a Subaru taking up the entire single lane! Some places were like riding a paved version of 8-10 foot swells. I did have a grin on my face at the bottom! The Supercross track at the end of the day was what did her in though.

• Member Contributer

This is a quote from Bryan who dropped his kR on the dreaded dirt road, yards from the end.

"BROKE BIKE MOUNTAIN

I REMEMBER THE DAY WE MET. SHE WAS BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL. SLIGHTLY HEAVIER THAN THE REST BUT HAD ALL THE SEX APPEAL OF “BEYONCE.”

LIKE EVERY NEW RELATIONSHIP WE SPENT ALL OF OUR TIME TOGETHER. VISITING THE SHORE, THE MOUNTAINS AND FAMILY GATHERINGS. AS TIME WENT ON, WE SPENT LESS TIME TOGETHER TENDING TO THE OVERWHELMING OBLIGATIONS OF THE IMPATIENT WORLD IN WHICH WE LIVE. WE STARTED TO TAKE EACH OTHER FOR GRANTED. ONLY OCCASIONALLY REUNITING FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS AND THE FALL FOLIAGE.

TODAY ON OUR FALL DATE WE MET OTHERS IN THE MOUNTAINS OF NEW HAMPSHIRE. THEY TOO WERE WITH THEIR MISTRESSES. THE DAY WAS SUNNY AND CRISP. THE PACE WAS SWIFT WITH GREAT CONVICTION. AS I FANTASIZED ABOUT THE LIGHTER, YOUNGER, SEXIER MODELS AMONG US, SHE FOUGHT ME AT EVERY TURN. I, THE CONTROLLING MALE. SHE, THE STUBBORN BEHEMOTH WITH AN ATTITUDE AND ENOUGH WEIGHT TO BACK IT UP. THE STRUGGLE WOULD CONTINUE THROUGHOUT THE DAY WITH THE ULTIMATE CONSEQUENCE.

WE WERE CLOSING IN ON THE FINAL DESTINATION WHEN IT HAPPENED. WE HAD LOST OUR WAY AND AGREED TO BUSHWHACK OVER AN EIGHT MILE, ONE LANE, DIRT AND GRAVEL MOUNTAIN ROAD. I IGNORED HER REPETITIOUS PLEA TO STOP AND CONTINUED MY FANTASY………BAD IDEA. SHE BUCKED, JUMPED AND FINALLY PLANTED US BOTH INTO A DESCENDING BED OF GRAVEL.

MY KNEE WAS THROBBING AND THE FIGHT WAS OVER. SHE WON AGAIN. IT WAS A SLOW AND QUIET TRIP HOME. BOTH FEELING WOUNDED AND MISUNDERSTOOD. TOMORROW WILL BE A NEW DAY AND WE WILL FORGIVE ONE ANOTHER AS WE HAVE IN THE PAST. THE MEMORIES OF OUR 14 YRS TOGETHER WILL NEVER FADE.

I... A LITTLE TOO BOOTYLICIOUS.

SHE .......A LITTLE LESS ATTRACTIVE.

WE SHALL NEVER BE APART.

-BRYAN SEACHRIST

I hope his wife knows! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the note, I was just about to order some RC seals for my VFR and wasn't sure about OEM vs aftermarket, I guess that decided that question. :fing02:

Good luck with the repairs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Well, I ordered All Balls seals, I'll see how they do. The ones that blew out didn't happen to be All Balls were they?

I don't think they were. I just ordered a set of Race Techs which are supposed to be an exact OEM match.

Your avatar is funny, too bad the Sox aren't playing!

• Member Contributer
This is a quote from Bryan who dropped his kR on the dreaded dirt road, yards from the end.

"BROKE BIKE MOUNTAIN

I REMEMBER THE DAY WE MET. SHE WAS BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL. SLIGHTLY HEAVIER THAN THE REST BUT HAD ALL THE SEX APPEAL OF "BEYONCE."

LIKE EVERY NEW RELATIONSHIP WE SPENT ALL OF OUR TIME TOGETHER. VISITING THE SHORE, THE MOUNTAINS AND FAMILY GATHERINGS. AS TIME WENT ON, WE SPENT LESS TIME TOGETHER TENDING TO THE OVERWHELMING OBLIGATIONS OF THE IMPATIENT WORLD IN WHICH WE LIVE. WE STARTED TO TAKE EACH OTHER FOR GRANTED. ONLY OCCASIONALLY REUNITING FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS AND THE FALL FOLIAGE.

TODAY ON OUR FALL DATE WE MET OTHERS IN THE MOUNTAINS OF NEW HAMPSHIRE. THEY TOO WERE WITH THEIR MISTRESSES. THE DAY WAS SUNNY AND CRISP. THE PACE WAS SWIFT WITH GREAT CONVICTION. AS I FANTASIZED ABOUT THE LIGHTER, YOUNGER, SEXIER MODELS AMONG US, SHE FOUGHT ME AT EVERY TURN. I, THE CONTROLLING MALE. SHE, THE STUBBORN BEHEMOTH WITH AN ATTITUDE AND ENOUGH WEIGHT TO BACK IT UP. THE STRUGGLE WOULD CONTINUE THROUGHOUT THE DAY WITH THE ULTIMATE CONSEQUENCE.

WE WERE CLOSING IN ON THE FINAL DESTINATION WHEN IT HAPPENED. WE HAD LOST OUR WAY AND AGREED TO BUSHWHACK OVER AN EIGHT MILE, ONE LANE, DIRT AND GRAVEL MOUNTAIN ROAD. I IGNORED HER REPETITIOUS PLEA TO STOP AND CONTINUED MY FANTASY………BAD IDEA. SHE BUCKED, JUMPED AND FINALLY PLANTED US BOTH INTO A DESCENDING BED OF GRAVEL.

MY KNEE WAS THROBBING AND THE FIGHT WAS OVER. SHE WON AGAIN. IT WAS A SLOW AND QUIET TRIP HOME. BOTH FEELING WOUNDED AND MISUNDERSTOOD. TOMORROW WILL BE A NEW DAY AND WE WILL FORGIVE ONE ANOTHER AS WE HAVE IN THE PAST. THE MEMORIES OF OUR 14 YRS TOGETHER WILL NEVER FADE.

I... A LITTLE TOO BOOTYLICIOUS.

SHE .......A LITTLE LESS ATTRACTIVE.

WE SHALL NEVER BE APART.

-BRYAN SEACHRIST

I hope his wife knows! :mellow:

I weep for you and rejoice for your passion...faithful are the wounds of a friend and a brother offended harder to win than a thousand enemies unknown.

:laugh: We wax poetic...bunch o' softies! :laugh:

Archived