New Custom Luggage For 6th Gen Vfrs

Guest Robin the Boy Wonder

Guest Robin the Boy Wonder

Fellow members,

So, I am an avid VFR owner, and have modified my VFR to the hilt, with great information from this forum, by the way. But the one item I have had the hardest time with is luggage. Why, because I think most of it is horrible. The one company I like went under, due to the owner dying. So here I am, with just a tank bag from that former company.

I am an Industrial Designer, and a Design Engineer by profession. I have been designing hard goods and soft goods for close to 20 years (gulp), for top companies. Given this, maybe my standards are too high. But I want what I want, and that is luggage designed just for the VFR, that is functional, modular, a hybrid of material (hard and soft),easy on and off with no hardware left hanging, but most of all looks amazing on the bike (or as amazing as luggage will ever look on a bike).

I have concepts going, and would like to start with a tail bag, followed by a tank bag, then saddle bags. Now, I could just do this for myself and have VERY expensive bags (some tooling is required), but I think there is an opportunity here, or at least be less out of pocket for my bags by selling a few. I believe there are some patentable features as well, so that limits me on showing the concepts, for now. But trust me; there are not bags like this out there. And “one size fits all” may work for a Big Mac, but not for this. The product needs to fit the bike perfectly, and pull and blend into the design language of the VFR, and nothing does that, from what I have seen.

So here is my question: Does this interest anyone?

If so, what are your wants, your needs, your wish list…..just to be sure I am on the right track.

I would be intrested in some hard bags that compliment the styling of the bike, color matchable aka: paint to match, and leave no bulky hardware hanggign on it.

I have a tank bag and tail bag I like so i would only be intrested in the hard bags.

Sounds neat though!

Sounds interesting. Got any other work you can show us?

They should fit a large full size helmet and be rated to hold 30lbs each, minumum. And must be 100% waterproof!

I will try and post some other work.

Companies I have done softgoods for: Sony, Apple, Canon, Nikon, Hummer, Case Logic, Creative Labs, Body Glove, Ultimate, Toshibia, etc, etc, etc.

Hardgoods list is longer.

These would be a mix, hard and soft. Not plastic molded cases, my pockets are not that deep for 100K in tooling.

• Member Contributer

I have the factory hard luggage and like it a lot, but I'd be interested in a tankbag that actually fits. It must have several pockets and it needs a change holder to make toll bridges easier long trips.

Ohh and 100% waterproof. :goofy:

Don't forget the 5th gens!!

:goofy:

Interested? Yes.

There are some avenues to avoid. The Corbin Beetlebags, for example, divided people by their integrated look. But, they didn't work functionally in the sense that they were not removable - one had to unpack the bags each night or trust the locks. Once on, they couldn't be taken off for the twisties either.

I feel pretty much the same way about hard shelled luggage that was soft in the expansion zone - maybe it is a taste thing, but they just didn't look right.

There is a whole area in luggage that replaces the seat - a la the Corbin Smuggler/Sargent models - that could be explored.

• Member Contributer

I'd be interested in saddlebags that were easy on and off with no hardware left hanging.

That interests me quite a bit, actually. I have a good tank bag, but would be interested in

seeing what you have in mind. As soon as you are ready to roll and can show some designs, I'd

be very willing to take a look and if I like what I see, very willing to throw cash at it.

I agree about the Corbin bags. My biggest issue is with thier design....is the design. It is very organic in nature, which looks fine on some bikes, but is in conflict with the design langauge of the VFR. They just look wrong on the bike.

While I would love to design true hard cases, that is not an option right now due to funding. These will be a blend of formed and laminated PE board, molded and laminated EVA, and typical cut and sew. Both the EVA and PE board sections are waterproof by nature, other areas will be laminated 1680 Nylon for water proof panels, the bag will be taped, and water proof zippers. NO waterproof rain fly, that you have to stop and put on.

Keep those suggestions coming!!

I like the coin suggestion.....don't have tolls around here really, so that was overlooked.

I have no real problem with the luggage, it is fairly well thought out regarding ease of use. The only change I have considered is adding, what BMW called, City Lids. These are flat outer lids you install for daily commuting use and leave the big fat lids for touring. I miss that about my BMW bags, especially since I lane split here in California.

I wish someone made a set of City Lids for the VFR bags

Here is shot of a R1100S with a city lid bag and a standard bag. Note that the bags set out very very wide on an S

385695398_qkKgu-M.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yes I would like some newer style of hard bags. How about with a power outlet inside capable of charging phones, cameras or laptops. Maybe one side can have a paded area to tuck away a laptop from being banged around. Maybe even have a mount that makes the bags removable without leaving those bars behind on the bike. I see no reason why bags can't have pull pin mounts that attach near the rear foot pegs where the other bag makers mount their attaching hardwear. Sounds like a sweet idea. good luck. Ohh and keep the cost less than the stea :squid: lers,,,, I mean dealers.

• 2 weeks later...
Fellow members,

So, I am an avid VFR owner, and have modified my VFR to the hilt, with great information from this forum, by the way. But the one item I have had the hardest time with is luggage. Why, because I think most of it is horrible. The one company I like went under, due to the owner dying. So here I am, with just a tank bag from that former company.

I am an Industrial Designer, and a Design Engineer by profession. I have been designing hard goods and soft goods for close to 20 years (gulp), for top companies. Given this, maybe my standards are too high. But I want what I want, and that is luggage designed just for the VFR, that is functional, modular, a hybrid of material (hard and soft),easy on and off with no hardware left hanging, but most of all looks amazing on the bike (or as amazing as luggage will ever look on a bike).

I have concepts going, and would like to start with a tail bag, followed by a tank bag, then saddle bags. Now, I could just do this for myself and have VERY expensive bags (some tooling is required), but I think there is an opportunity here, or at least be less out of pocket for my bags by selling a few. I believe there are some patentable features as well, so that limits me on showing the concepts, for now. But trust me; there are not bags like this out there. And “one size fits all” may work for a Big Mac, but not for this. The product needs to fit the bike perfectly, and pull and blend into the design language of the VFR, and nothing does that, from what I have seen.

So here is my question: Does this interest anyone?

If so, what are your wants, your needs, your wish list…..just to be sure I am on the right track.

Heck yes!! I want a tail pack/bag/whatever that is easily removable and watertight. The main reason I don't buy the factory bags is that the side bags are too much, I would only need one for commuting... and their tail luggage is way too big! My EXL tail pack works well for daily commuting, but is not waterproof and wears out too quickly. Every now and then it is also too small, even when expanded. BUT the EXL bag looks good on the bike and does not take away from the bike's overall appearance, which is important to me. I was considering buying a couple of different size Givi packs, but cannot seem to find the Givi rack for my 954 (and soon to be GSX-R 750 '06 or '07). I really want a bag I can move from one bike to the other with ease and am willing to pay anything reasonable to get it. If you come up with something close to that, I would buy it and pay someone to make brackets (or buy existing brackets and modify them) to get me where I want to be smile.gif

Something like Axio luggage that's built and styled specifically for hte VFR would be nice in a tank/tailbag set.

Waterproof with waterproof in/outlets for power or sound systems would be nice.

Another interesting thought I had was the possibility of taking the clear map pocket one step further and making it a hard sealed pocket, so the maps are easily accessed and read while remaining dry(maybe even lit with a couple LED strips?).

Integrate a small lock on both to facilitate storage of valuables.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just trying to keep the fire burning. I have been looking for luggage for my bike and want the Honda styled bags that Honda sales but that 1,000.00 buy in stops me cold. One dealer quoted 950.00 and 350.00 for the tail box. Hopefully, your design and price will be a option for tight wads like me. Good luck and thanks, JD

Check with Dan Lusk at (I forget the name of the Honda dealer he works for) He discounts to VFRD members, he can give a pretty good discount on a set of honda hard bags for the VFR and you can order the 06 white like the ones I installed on my bike.

• Member Contributer

Did Robin ever come up with anything? I've got a few months before I really need to be purchasing some side bags for a major trip in May, and I'd like to consider all options before putting down my money. Right now I'm thinking SW-Motech quick release side racks and some Givi hard bags but I'd really like something that looks like it "belongs" on the bike better than that, and I don't consider the factory bags to really look that great either, especially for the money they want.

• 1 month later...
Just trying to keep the fire burning. I have been looking for luggage for my bike and want the Honda styled bags that Honda sales but that 1,000.00 buy in stops me cold. One dealer quoted 950.00 and 350.00 for the tail box. Hopefully, your design and price will be a option for tight wads like me. Good luck and thanks, JD

1,000 dollars??? FFS! What on earth is Honda thinking??? Is there anyone actually buying these OEM bags??

I mean they look the biz and all, but 1,000 bucks? :cool:

To the point, I would be very interested in seeing an attractive alternative for the Viffer. If the price is right then we can even talk about a group buy from our VFR members in Greece...

• Member Contributer
Maybe when the Boy Wonder grows up he'll post again - but I doubt it. He hasn't logged in since October '08... :cool:

Boy Wonder used us all for Market Research. I FEEL SO DIRTY!!!

Maybe when the Boy Wonder grows up he'll post again - but I doubt it. He hasn't logged in since October '08... :biggrin:

Boy Wonder used us all for Market Research. I FEEL SO DIRTY!!!

and to think, I sent him an autographed poster of me and seb in our hot weather gear :cool:

Archived