I Think I Set A Record!

Higgin

Well, today I took my wheels off to get my new tires put on. Went with some Pilot Powers. Wanted to get some Pilot Road 2's, but everybody is backordered on them, and I needed new tires for the Kentucky Revival next week. So not exactly what I wanted, but I'm interested to see how big of a difference they make to my riding style. Anyway, the record I think I set is on the mileage of my original tires. I probably shouldn't even post this up, its pretty rediculous, and I know I'll hear it from many of you..... Anyway, i went a whopping 11544 miles on the original Bridgestone BT020's. Lasted just over a year. Down to the tread wear indicators and a little beyond, but not down to cords ....still some tread left. Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else had made it that far on the stock tires? I don't count on making it anywhere close to that on the Powers.......

DSC03490.jpg

• Member Contributer

This has to be a record. I have ridden bikes since 1980 and have never had more than 6,250 on a set. Good job but did they square off on you? Thanks, JD

• 9 months later...

When I started street riding 25 years ago and drove like a granny my first set of tires lasted 15k on a CB650. Last year a set of pilot powers lasted me 10 days and 3500 miles. That was a great 10 days.

• Member Contributer

I used to get 10,000 to 12,000 miles on a rear tire, on the first few bikes I had. It's still possible to get down to the cords in three weeks.

I'm not sure what kinda miles I'm getting on the VFR, even though I've had it two years. I changed them for stickier tires for the track, then put the tires it came with back on, and I've changed each of them at least once since but heck if I remember what the mileage was or even how many tires there have been. I just replace them when they wear out.

I did the same 11k plus (11,200, I think) on my factory Bridgestones. I was more interested in getting them off than trying to set a record. They stayed on for so long due to the fact that my PR2s were lost in transit twice. The rear frightened me in the rain, and the front had evenly spaced bumps on either side of the center. With a passenger on the back, the bike would not turn properly. It would lean leisurely, then suddenly fall over like it was about to wipeout. I had to crawl though every turn and stop leaning altogether!!

Obviously, handling was crap, the ride was crap, and the Sargent was rendered impotent. My back ached so much I started to wonder if the Sargent was overrated. I couldn't stop the bike in a straight line, and wore out the rear brake pad completely compensating for this.

10 minutes into the first ride on the PR2s, I scraped a peg. This was not after the requisite 80-150 miles of scrubbing the tires (or breaking them in, or whatever the lingo is); I mean in the first 5 miles on the new tires. My back and buns no longer hurt, the bike didn't wobble coming to a halt, and there's no jouncing over 85mph. At no point do I remember anything memorable about the OEMs. They simply rotated. Had I known any better, I would have tossed them from the very beginning.

Congrats, Higgin. 11k plus is not a record I'm proud of. I hope you enjoyed your run. I think the Honda dealers still stock those Bridgestones, should you feel that the PPs are not up to par, LOL.

For me, NEVER AGAIN!

Juliani

• Member Contributer
10 minutes into the first ride on the PR2s, I scraped a peg. This was not after the requisite 80-150 miles of scrubbing the tires (or breaking them in, or whatever the lingo is); I mean in the first 5 miles on the new tires. My back and buns no longer hurt, the bike didn't wobble coming to a halt, and there's no jouncing over 85mph. At no point do I remember anything memorable about the OEMs. They simply rotated. Had I known any better, I would have tossed them from the very beginning.

No matter how wonderful a given type of tires are, they gradually become icky. This creeps up so slowly you hardly notice. Then one day you put on new tires, perhaps a different kind, and the bike handling becomes fantastic, and you say "Gosh, the {brand of new tire} are so much nicer than the {brand of old tire}. I'm never buying {brand of old tire} again. But almost all of that feeling is simply due to new tires being better than old tires. You can't truly know how much of the wonderfulness is from the newness, and how much is the tire brand/model, until you replace like with like and see what happens when you replace an old tire with a new one of the same kind.

• Member Contributer

I only ever got ~14,000km out of a rear, but I got almost 28,000km out of my Pilot Road front.

No matter how wonderful a given type of tires are, they gradually become icky. This creeps up so slowly you hardly notice. Then one day you put on new tires, perhaps a different kind, and the bike handling becomes fantastic, and you say "Gosh, the {brand of new tire} are so much nicer than the {brand of old tire}. I'm never buying {brand of old tire} again. But almost all of that feeling is simply due to new tires being better than old tires. You can't truly know how much of the wonderfulness is from the newness, and how much is the tire brand/model, until you replace like with like and see what happens when you replace an old tire with a new one of the same kind.

You are right about that. I may have gone a wee bit overboard with the Bridgestone hatred :biggrin: . I did find out recently that I find the suspension more responsive and far more comfortable when I dial the preload to the max, front and rear.

I'm loving the PR2s regardless, and have an extra set in the garage. Rant's over :cool:.

• Member Contributer

Faster tire wear sure is a lot more fun.....like 1758 miles from an M3 rear... :fing02:

Faster tire wear sure is a lot more fun.....like 1758 miles from an M3 rear... :biggrin:

That's it? Put some air in those puppies Jim! I got 1620 out of the Stock Dunlop on the DRZ, I hate Dunflops. I got 4500 out of a PP rear on the DRZ. Currently I'm running Conti Attacks and they have 2500 on them, I'm tire shopping right now, may go with Bridgestone. Does anyone know what kind of oil I should be using?

• Member Contributer

I got 4700 out of the stock Metzler M4s. Rear was severely squared and front was cupped bad. Have 200 miles already on my fresh set of Dunlop Roadsmarts and it's like a new bike. As far as turning and leaning the bike feels 100 lbs lighter. I love new tires. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Faster tire wear sure is a lot more fun.....like 1758 miles from an M3 rear... :biggrin:

That's it? Put some air in those puppies Jim! I got 1620 out of the Stock Dunlop on the DRZ, I hate Dunflops. I got 4500 out of a PP rear on the DRZ. Currently I'm running Conti Attacks and they have 2500 on them, I'm tire shopping right now, may go with Bridgestone. Does anyone know what kind of oil I should be using?

Andrew, the M3's had stock recommended air pressure and were pretty sticky. I liked 'em. They were on my K1200R = 163 HP. In spite of them being a "soft" compound street tire, the bike could still spin the rear easily coming out of a curve. I've tamed down a little...sometimes...occasionally...now and then....once in a while :laugh: :wheel:

BTW, just another opinion....Bridgestone doesn't make a tire worth a crap for either bikes or cars. Had my fill of them.... :blush: I really like the PRCT2's on the K bike. They're wearing very well and I haven't spun the rear yet. The front tire needs to be less rounded though for better handling but I seem to be able to adapt to any kind of tire (excluding Bridgestone) including crappy handling worn out tires FWIW. :biggrin:

Oh, as far as oil, I would highly recommend poly-unsaturated...better for your heart.... :fing02:

How about with this new set, you try wearing off some of the rubber on the sides.

Okay, just had get my poke in there since you expected some. I got about 6K on my last set of old Pilot Sports. I put on a new set of the old Pilot Roads last year and they seem to be doing great. Doubt I will get 6K, but we'll see what happens.

Archived