Windscreens

Guest Pete McCrary

Guest Pete McCrary

Need some direction/advice on after market windscreens. Due to my uh "heft", tucking down low enough behind the stock windscreen is pretty tough (OK, my stomach and gas tank are trying to occupy the same place when I tuck in. It's my preference to be able to breathe when going 100+).

I get a lot of head buffeting at 100+. Who makes aftermarket windscreens, which are the good ones, which ones should I avoid?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks to all.

• Member Contributer

I have a Puig Double Bubble, but it does not keep enough wind off me for riding in cold weather so will probably have to look at a Touring windscreen to use in the Winter. Seems the current screen is good for those hot humid days in MS :-)

Just something to consider. Not sure (yet) that there is a good all weather all year around windscreen.

• Member Contributer

HA!

Cut it DOWN.

Works it like a,.... well,.. it works. LOL.

I was just about to start a post on the exact same topic.

I've been looking at different windscreens also, and can't decide on either the Zero Gravity Double Bubble, or the Sport Touring model. I don't see many other windscreens on the market for this bike that offer more protection than stock.

I'm 6'2" and the stock windscreen deflects wind about four inches below my helmet, and then right up my face. I have to lean forward, and slide my but all the way back to get the wind in a comfortable place. This is fine while I'm riding the twisties, but when I commute, I'd like something a little higher.

I've got a Puig as well and while I don't have a problem with any wind buffeting (6'1", mostly torso) I don't much care for the fit of the Puig. It seems to "jack" out the upper portion (the spikey end where you screw in the black plastic wings) of the upper cowl.

I'm inclined to try and MRA Double-Bubble RacingScreen next. Anyone here have any experience with 'em?

HA!

Cut it DOWN.

Rivcyko:

Are you saying cut the speed down or the windscreen down? You know sometimes that little thing inside you head says "Open this baby one up and let her stretch her legs". Again, no logical explanation or excuse, it's just something I do on occassion.

I'm 6'-2½" and 265#. Tucking in behind the stock windscreen at speed is not the easiest thing to do. Built more like a linebacker than a roadracer.

Pete

I've been happy with my DCDB (Dubious Chinese Double Bubble) for some time now, but at 5'09", I could prolly hide behind any screen. Fit well and for 30 bucks, cant beat it with a stick.

ebay0810008.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm a bit over 6'5" and I had the same problem, buffeting. Tried an MRA screen that had a lot of "flip" on the trailing edge, which got some more of the wind off everything below my chin, but buffeting at the helmet got a lot worse. So, using a bandsaw and a bench mounted belt sander to cut the thing down, I eventually ended up with this;

vfr.jpg

The way to test this kind of thing out is to remove the screen entirely (very easy to do on a 6th gen) and take it for a run. I did and it proved to me what I had read elsewhere; get the screen as short as possible. I would cut a couple inches off, remount, and try it for a month. Ended up with what's in the picture there.

Of note; my helmet got a lot louder with my normal summer jacket that has very little collar. Air is getting in between my neck, shoulders, and the bottom of the lid. Need to try some of the helmet quieting aids as it gets old, even with good earplugs. Wearing my cooler weather jacket that has a tall collar on it also helps reduce the noise. Aside from this I welcome the change, and it sometimes makes me wish I had picked up a Honda 919 as I had planned instead of the VFR because I believe the 919 would actually be better because it's not forcing all that wind at the rider with fairings.

• Member Contributer

Here's a pic of my bike with a ZG double bubble that I had cut down about 5 inches. The buffeting factor has been reduced, but there is more wind on my chest now. Not so great for cold weather riding.

alienartifacts002.jpg

• Member Contributer
HA!

Cut it DOWN.

Rivcyko:

Are you saying cut the speed down or the windscreen down? You know sometimes that little thing inside you head says "Open this baby one up and let her stretch her legs". Again, no logical explanation or excuse, it's just something I do on occassion.

I'm 6'-2½" and 265#. Tucking in behind the stock windscreen at speed is not the easiest thing to do. Built more like a linebacker than a roadracer.

Pete

Both. LOL.

gallery_2922_262_58581.jpg

fall-tech.JPG Gett'n cold out. FAST!

HA!

Cut it DOWN.

Rivcyko:

Pete

Both. LOL.

gallery_2922_262_58581.jpg

fall-tech.JPG Gett'n cold out. FAST!

Thanks Riv. Is that a stock windscreen you've cut down or an aftermarket screen?

Pete

thats odd. i am 6'2" and use to have a givi screen. the buffetting was terrible. put on the factory screen and if i sit up straight, my helmet is in completely smooth air and VERY comfortable to ride. yes, a little hard to full tuck, but since i dont ride fast, not an issue.

Pete,

It is a stocker, cut and painted. :fing02:

Make a big difference? How all of this came about for me was I was in the north GA mountains and ran across a local who wanted to ride hard. Stayed with him in the twisties just fine but on the straights I had to back of it at about 105 because my head was about to shake off my neck.

I'm planning on cutting my stock screen. Can't see spending $100 for a ZG or Puig and putting the stock one in a box unless I F-up the stock one. From everything I've been able to read, the stock Honda screen is considerably thicker/stronger than any of the aftermarkets. If I need a stock Honda screen, I think they're only about $150.

What tools/method did you use to cut your screen? Any pointers on technique would be greatly appreciated.

I'm getting the VFR so close to where I want it now. It just a matter of fine tuning some of my mods. Finally got the suspension really working great, getting lots of HP out of the motor, etc. It stays in my heated/airconditioned basement and is not ridden in the rain except in emergencies. It's 7 years old and looks like it just rolled of the show room floor.

• Member Contributer

Pete,

There are a few threads. The search function now sucks. BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a wright-up,... so does Sebspeed. Hell if I can find them.

Ya know Pete, this might be a bit like the zrx without the fairing (round headlight). It's dead calm with the round light on it, but buffets with the small fairing. Any time you try to bend the air, you get turbulence.

I could see the shorter screens being smoother. Maybe not that pleasing to the eye, but functional non-the-less.

• Member Contributer
Ya know Pete, this might be a bit like the zrx without the fairing (round headlight). It's dead calm with the round light on it, but buffets with the small fairing. Any time you try to bend the air, you get turbulence.

I could see the shorter screens being smoother. Maybe not that pleasing to the eye, but functional non-the-less.

Yup. That is the point. For years, I thought taller was better. D-OH!

• Member Contributer
I've been happy with my DCDB (Dubious Chinese Double Bubble) for some time now, but at 5'09", I could prolly hide behind any screen. Fit well and for 30 bucks, cant beat it with a stick.

Timmythecop,

Where did you get this one? I'm looking for one, and it seems like $30ish would be the best price.

Thanks,

Prof. Potty Mouth

Pete,

There are a few threads. The search function now sucks. BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a wright-up,... so does Sebspeed. Hell if I can find them.

Ditto that. I wish we had the old search engine back. I wrote Slammer and he made a post under the Site Management Section about how to get your search to perform in a similar fashion to the old system.

Us old farts don't like change do we?

• 3 weeks later...

ebay0810008.jpg

hell I would like to try that windshield for 30 bucks :wheel:

where did you get it at ?

Archived