Down 1 Tooth Up Front

Guest Love2Ride

Question

Guest Love2Ride

My neighbor bought a 2006 VFR with 3800 miles. He said he is going drop to a 15 tooth

sprocket up front. Do you guys think this is too much mileage for the switch?

I have not seen the bike yet, they are still on vacation.

Thanks...

12 answers to this question

My neighbor bought a 2006 VFR with 3800 miles. He said he is going drop to a 15 tooth

Thanks...

Huh? For a bike that will last 100K miles, this is not even broken in yet. I switched to a lower front tooth at 15K miles.

Have fun.

Thanks...

Huh? For a bike that will last 100K miles, this is not even broken in yet. I switched to a lower front tooth at 15K miles.

Have fun.

I meant the wear on the sprocket and chain. I should been more detailed in the question. Did you add a speed healer

after the -1 up front?

Did you add a speed healer

after the -1 up front?

Nope, I just do the fuzzy math in my head and subtract 10 or 15% from indicated.

Speed is relative. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

When you move down one tooth up front, what is the net affect on the rpm at say 75 mph indicated? The stock sprocket set up, if memory serves, requires about 5200 rpm on a level surface at 75 mph indicated. Anyone know?

• Member Contributer
When you move down one tooth up front, what is the net affect on the rpm at say 75 mph indicated? The stock sprocket set up, if memory serves, requires about 5200 rpm on a level surface at 75 mph indicated. Anyone know?

15 tooth sprockets are seriously annoying if you do highway speed cruising. I had one on my bike for 18 months and the entire time I kept looking for sixth gear, only to find I was already in sixth.

At 75mph with a 15-tooth front sprocket, you'll be getting close to VTEC territory if yours is a 6,400rpm VTEC bike.

I have the standard sprocket, and at 75mph I'm looking at about 5,000rpm. I seem to recall it was more like 6,000rpm with the 15-tooth sprocket. The engine is not happy cruising here either, as I find it vibrates at a frequency that is uncomfortable. Of course, I don't give a shite if I'm sport riding, as it's all short-burst stuff.

Mind you, I do most of my cruising at 65mph (due to our speed limits) and I like the engine at about 4,800rpm where it's smooth as butter.

just did a 1300 mile trip this weekend. 80mph is 6krpm. (the 80mph is actual as i have a speedohealer on it and set it 1mph fast). yes you lose mpg and it is NOT as nice as stock for cruising, but if you spend a lot of time in traffic or twisties (i am twisties 80%+ of the time) it cant be beat as you never have to drop to first gear and i now actually get to use 6th gear regularly.

• Member Contributer

Shouldn't have any problems.

Questions: Does he service the bike? I assume he hasn't taken it in for the 600 mile check-up?

The reason why I ask is,.... I would wait till after the 600 mile, to put it on, BECAUSE: dealers are idiots. Should anything be wrong, they may try to pass the blame. ex: lots of folks who put add-ons, on there bikes, (that were electcical0, then had harness problems, were told THEY FRIED THE HARNESS.

If you haven't seen the bike yet, why are you so keen to change gearing? Ride it first, see what you think, then play. My two cents.

It's his neighbors bike. He just asked if the chain is too worn for a sprocket.

(Consider this change for your .02 wink.gif )

Archived