Pulled Over For Fender Eliminator

Cherohala

Question

• Member Contributer

After a nice day out on the back roads I got on the Highway to head back home. The LEO who pulled me over said he could not see my license plate. After a few minutes he gave me back my license with a warning. I guess it's in their computer now that I've been warned. I can understand it if he did not see the plate from the side. But he was directly behind me for several minutes, where the plate could be clearly seen, before he pulled me over.

Have any of you with fender eliminators been ticketed? Have any of you gone back to the stock? I saw how one person had bolted the top of his license plate to the bottom holes of the fender elim. to lower the plate in an attempt to make it more visible.

I have OEM side cases and brackets. Still haven't put a piece of metal back in to join the left and right luggage brackets. It does not look good at this point and may have cotributed to drawing the LEO's attention in the first place. I plan to use a piece of aluminum to join the left and right and then mount an additional LED Brake/tail light strip on there. So the additional tail light strip would appear below the Fender Elim/plate. I really like the look of the fender elim. So I'm hoping that with the addition of LED strip it will seem more visible to the LEOs.

Personally I see a lot of people with the fender mod and wonder why they dont get pulled over. What about those people who put aftermarket turn signals that are tiny and you can barely see them on?

Personally I see a lot of people with the fender mod and wonder why they dont get pulled over. What about those people who put aftermarket turn signals that are tiny and you can barely see them on?

if they're DOT approved, they're legal... that said, half of them aren't. Same goes for a lot of exhausts out there...

• Member Contributer
did I miss something here or was your post "edited" out of the list?

Yeah, there was a post by Timmy here earlier that isn't here anymore.

Damn, I missed out and didn't even get to Ban anyone! :biggrin:

I think they will at times just pull you over to check you out and need a probable cause to do so. I got pulled over by one of the Reservation LEO's in NC as I had passed on DY, but said after letting me go that he just wanted to make sure I wasn't drunk! :laugh:

It wasnt Ban-worthy, but it was outside of what were are here for, so I self edited. (no more sangria fueled posts after a crappy day on the job)

Also, A friend of mine solved this problem by always riding around with his plate under his seat. If/when he got pulled, he would just say that his bracket failed just down the road, and he was heading straight home to fix it.

It worked for years.

(IMO) Didn't seem that much over the top, but good "Self-Policing Timmy"........ :laugh: I have to do it sometimes also after I re-read what I wrote.......and then sometimes I need "straightening out" by the "VFRD MOD Police"........happens...... :laugh:

Why don't old people get pulled over for not using them in the first place?

Speaking of car turn signals, why arn't amber signal required like they are in other countries? I mean honestly, a red flashing light does not get your attention like an amber light does.

My neighbor just got pulled over a week ago for his plate because it wasn't mounted "correctly" per the pig. His was eliminator mounted at a very slight angle, maybe 10 degrees, but not anything like the ones you see that are mounted to the front of the fender. :biggrin: total bs.

• Member Contributer

::cues up karaoke music:: "Love........love will keep us together lalalala" Lucky for you guys, this is in print!

I see lots of people with their fender removed and the plate stuffed way back there by the shock.

Doesn't seem to be something they worry about much here.

Could be 1 more thing to add to the list if you get ticketed I guess. :warranty:

My VFR is stock, but my CBR came to me with the tail section of fender and turn signals in a box.

Tiny aftermarket turn signals in back. I should probably get some LED lights back there for visibility.

I'm amazed I've had the 954 for 4 years and about 17,000 miles, and have never even got pulled over on it. :unsure:

Knock wood. :laugh:

LEO=Law Enforcement Officer

Or, LEO = Looking to Enhance Operational funding

I didn't have that view until I moved to Virginia.

cop

filth

5-0

one time

feds

po po

plod

old bill

copper

johnny law

lawman

jump-out

waste of blue polyester

and my fave: cheeze whiz (ie something fake in a real container)

• Member Contributer

In Florida at least, if ANY portion of the plate is blocked or obsecured in any way...it's illegal. Even a plate frame makes it illegal because it covers up the outer perimeter of the plate. Also if your plate is bent, faded, altered (I.E Trimmed) or if your light is not visible it's a fine and possible trip to jail.

In Florida at least, if ANY portion of the plate is blocked or obsecured in any way...it's illegal. Even a plate frame makes it illegal because it covers up the outer perimeter of the plate. Also if your plate is bent, faded, altered (I.E Trimmed) or if your light is not visible it's a fine and possible trip to jail.

I've yet to see that enforced as well as everyone riding without mirrors.

Why don't old people get pulled over for not using them in the first place?

Speaking of car turn signals, why arn't amber signal required like they are in other countries? I mean honestly, a red flashing light does not get your attention like an amber light does.

So I guess you dont like my retro Red Lens and no plate light......

IMG_0644.jpg

I see lots of people with their fender removed and the plate stuffed way back there by the shock.

Doesn't seem to be something they worry about much here.

Could be 1 more thing to add to the list if you get ticketed I guess. :beer:

this is what im refering too.

• Member Contributer
Yup, they're certainly "choosy" in what they enforce her in SoCal, Lee.

I've seen stuff, day after day, which standing still merited a few tix...no plate at all, no turn signals, no mirror..."track-ready" if you will.

But the guy must ride like a saint astride a thoroughbred because he shows up in my parking garage, month after month after month with no mods to that above setup :beer: :warranty:

What about those people who put aftermarket turn signals that are tiny and you can barely see them on?

if they're DOT approved, they're legal... that said, half of them aren't.

I've seen tiny aftermarket signals that can barely be seen when flashing. Regardless of whether people think they look cool or not, shouldn't they at least work right for your safety?! :fing02:

I've seen stuff, day after day, which standing still merited a few tix...no plate at all, no turn signals, no mirror..."track-ready" if you will.

I think on my next bike I'll remove the headlight and wiring and just put a headlight decal on it, ala NASCAR race cars. Should shave a couple pounds from the bike. Of course I'll only be able to ride during daylight hours... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Repeat of a "Skuuterstory".......Several years ago a Policeman pulled me over and wrote me a ticket for him not being able to read my license plate from an angle because it was recessed up in the back between the mufflers (similar to my Kanadian Ken Fender Eliminator that's on my new VFR). I took pictures of various years and models of cars on my junk yard to show that you couldn't read them from an angle either. Before going into court, I took pictures of the Policeman's patrol car, and the Judge's Buick. Couldn't read theirs from an angle either.........."Case Dismissed"... :fing02:

• Member Contributer
LEO=Law Enforcement Officer

Or, LEO = Looking to Enhance Operational funding

I didn't have that view until I moved to Virginia.

cop

filth

5-0

one time

feds

po po

plod

old bill

copper

johnny law

lawman

jump-out

waste of blue polyester

and my fave: cheeze whiz (ie something fake in a real container)

What about the fuzz?

I think on my next bike I'll remove the headlight and wiring and just put a headlight decal on it, ala NASCAR race cars. Should shave a couple pounds from the bike. Of course I'll only be able to ride during daylight hours... :biggrin:

I know that in the UK, you CAN get a daylight only registration, just for this type of stuff. Go fig.

• Member Contributer

I think on my next bike I'll remove the headlight and wiring and just put a headlight decal on it, ala NASCAR race cars. Should shave a couple pounds from the bike. Of course I'll only be able to ride during daylight hours... :fing02:

I know that in the UK, you CAN get a daylight only registration, just for this type of stuff. Go fig.

You used to be able to ride a motorcycle in Tn with only a brake light (no headlight and tailight or turnsignals required) if you weren't on the road past 4:00 PM. It got changed somewhere around 1971 or 1972. We rode Bultaco flat trackers with brakelights around here back then sometimes........... :biggrin:

Archived