Rear Rim Compatability

Guest FWBRC51

Question

Guest FWBRC51

I just bought a 97 vfr swingarm and stock 97 vfr rear rim to mount on my CBR600f2. I'm curious if it is at all possible that the 93 rear vfr rim will mount to the 97 vfr swingarm. Is it just a simple swap out or is a whole new hub assembly required? I'm sure i'm already going to be challenged with the suspension. Yes I have the shock too if i need to use it. Any tips on what is necessary for the swap?

basically what i'm trying to accomplish is a CBR600f2 with an RC30 look.

14 answers to this question

I just bought a 97 vfr swingarm and stock 97 vfr rear rim to mount on my CBR600f2. I'm curious if it is at all possible that the 93 rear vfr rim will mount to the 97 vfr swingarm. Is it just a simple swap out or is a whole new hub assembly required? I'm sure i'm already going to be challenged with the suspension. Yes I have the shock too if i need to use it. Any tips on what is necessary for the swap?

basically what i'm trying to accomplish is a CBR600f2 with an RC30 look.

I'm all confused about this too. I thought you had to notch the 3rd gen wheel to fit over the 97 hub bolts that face the wheel, but I saw a few posts before saying that you didn't have to when I mentioned it. Any 4th genners there with 3rd gen 8 spoke wheels on their bikes that can chime in??

Beck

95 VFR

...er...exactly what does notch mean with reference to the wheel and swingarm??? obviously i'm not very knowledgeable of viffers much... sorry guys, i've been a die hard f2/f3 fan for 90's bikes and a RC51 fan after the 90's. After reading up much of what are the pro's of the vfr, I may consider. Any help is great. thanks!!!

...er...exactly what does notch mean with reference to the wheel and swingarm??? obviously i'm not very knowledgeable of viffers much... sorry guys, i've been a die hard f2/f3 fan for 90's bikes and a RC51 fan after the 90's. After reading up much of what are the pro's of the vfr, I may consider. Any help is great. thanks!!!

There are bolt heads on the 4th gen that connect the cush drive to the wheel mounting plate on the right side that are not flush and might not let the face of the wheel seat fully when bolted on. People had to notch with a dremel cutter wheel the wheel center drum to accomodate these bolt heads or modify the assembly to carry flush boltheads. Again, I'm not quite sure if it is a problem with the 3rd gen wheel to 4th gen hub combi or a 5th or 6th gen wheel and 4th gen hub combi. I really thought it was the former case.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

There are bolt heads on the 4th gen that connect the cush drive to the wheel mounting plate on the right side that are not flush and might not let the face of the wheel seat fully when bolted on. People had to notch with a dremel cutter wheel the wheel center drum to accomodate these bolt heads or modify the assembly to carry flush boltheads. Again, I'm not quite sure if it is a problem with the 3rd gen wheel to 4th gen hub combi or a 5th or 6th gen wheel and 4th gen hub combi. I really thought it was the former case.

Beck

95 VFR

It's an issue when putting the 5th-6th gen wheel (all the same) on a 3rd gen. Apparently the same issue going on the 4th gen, but, the 4th gen had a 5" wide wheel. I don't know for sure but have heard rumors the 5.5" wheel from the 3rd, 5-6th gens may rub the swingarm on a 4th gen.

For a good picture of what you need to do to notch the wheel, check out this wheel for sale on the board right now. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44275

Maybe you could PM TexasDawg and see what gen swingarm he's using, it must be 3rd or 4th. :fing02:

95 VFR

It's an issue when putting the 5th-6th gen wheel (all the same) on a 3rd gen. Apparently the same issue going on the 4th gen, but, the 4th gen had a 5" wide wheel. I don't know for sure but have heard rumors the 5.5" wheel from the 3rd, 5-6th gens may rub the swingarm on a 4th gen.

No problems with a 3rd Gen wheel on a 4th gen. The only problems are when fitting a 5th or 6th gen wheel to the earlier bikes.

3rd gen's are a 5.5" and gen4's are 5". Gen3 will go on a gen4 no problem...but good luck finding a gen3 in good shape at a good price....LOL they are sought after by allot of us to make our bikes look cooler with a wider tire even though they do not perform better then the 5" rims on newer gens. Any newer Gens the rim needs to be modified to allow it to mount on a gen 4 arm. Nothing major just need to take a little off the rim to allow it to fit. You will see if you have a newer gen next to the gen 4 arm and have no problem fixing it if you have the tools or take it to shop that does.

Okay, just today I received my 94-97 swingarm and shock. I also have a 93 8 spoke rim coming soon.

Who has the most knowledge about mounting these parts to a 92 CBR600f2? which shock is recommended? f2? f3? or 97 vfr? I have all the necessary stock linkages.

another question I have is (and will worry about this more later)......how the hell do you adjust the chain? lol. single side swingarm newbie here.

This topic, and the gentleman in question, may be of some use :rolleyes:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...ckbird+swingarm

The spanner wrench ROUSE mentions goes into slots just inside the rear sprocket, like this (blatant lift from vfrworld.com smile.gif ):

Apr04_92.JPG

• Member Contributer

Slightly off-topic, but I recently put a 3rd-gen rear wheel on my 5th-gen bike--no problem, no notching.

I had not heard about the 4th-gen swing arm being dimensionally different (apart from the obvious shock mount), but as I have discovered, you never really know until you actually measure it... Fortunately, I've got spare SS swing arms from each of the gens (and more) in my cluttered garage, so I'll put that on my list of things to do!

Another thing I recently measured was wheel offset. 3/4" positive on, er, the wheel I recently measured (but was it the 3rd or the 5th?!?) I had always thought all SSSA wheels had a 0" offset, but they definitely do not. Interesting also that the offset was (like the other wheel dimensions) clearly an inch-measure. My guess (informed by having swapped several such wheels on different bikes, including NC30, and never having had any issues with wheels being out of alignment) is that this offset is common to all Honda SSSA rear wheels (though from casual observation, the NC24 wheel does look like it might be different). However, my steel rule and digital caliper will have the final say!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
I don't know for sure but have heard rumors the 5.5" wheel from the 3rd, 5-6th gens may rub the swingarm on a 4th gen.

Managed to pry a few minutes away from the family and did some quick measurements on the 3rd and 4th-gen swing arms in my garage: I put a straight edge along the inside of the hub retaining part of each swing arm, extending towards the shock linkage mounting location (both bearing carriers/hubs have been removed, so we're talking "bare" swing arms here). Then I put a steel rule on the strait edge and measured to the inner part of the swing arm proper (roughly where the tyre would rub) and came up with the following measurements: 3rd-gen swing arm 78mm; 4th-gen swing arm 79mm.

So, assuming that the bearing carriers, hubs and axles are the same (and I believe they are), there should actually be 1mm MORE tire clearance on a 4th-gen swing arm, compared to a 3rd-gen.

Didn't have time to measure the NC30, NC35, RC46 or RC30, unfortunately.

Ciao,

Archived