What To Do?

Guest Gap Trash

Question

Guest Gap Trash

For several months I've been thinking about setting my VFR up to ride long distances. I haven't ridden the VFR in several months because it is getting the plastics repaired and getting painted. The guy is taking forever. In the mean time I bought a DRZ 400SM and I don't think I'll ever be able to really enjoy the spirited twisty riding on the VFR like I have on the DRZ. If nothing else the VFR becomes dangerous to ride into curves. It took me a little bit of time to learn how much speed

I could carry into turns on the DRZ, when I first got it I was slowing down way too long before the curve, now I''m afraid of carrying too much speed into the curve on the VFR. Currently I am moving about 500 miles from home, so I thought that I would set up the VFR to make the trip on a regular basis. I was going to return the gearing to stock, mount touring tires, buy hard bags, heli-bars, I already have a Corbin, and just otherwise make the bike comfortable for long trips. I figure to get about 45-50 MPG max and most traveling will be on the interstate. Here is where the cost benefit analysis comes into play. I also have a Toyota Avalon that gets 30 MPG on the interstate. At current gas prices I figure about $75 in gas round trip to make the trip on the bike and $120 in the car. Of course in the winter I will be more motivated to ride 7 hours in the car. The months of March through November I would probably take the bike, as long as I didn't need to haul anything large. If I don't do this with the VFR I really don't know if I need to keep it, but as fun as the DRZ is sometimes I prefer the comfort of the VFR. Also my favorite riding buddy visits the area quite regularly to visit his brother and nephews, if I had two bikes we could ride together when he is here, I have no problems letting him ride my bikes. I could easily carry most everything that I needed in the hard bags and a tail bag. I would prefer to travel by motorcycle even if I'm slabbing it when the weather is decent. So here are the key facts:

-Save approximatley $45 per trip in gas by taking the bike.

-The VFR is paid for.

-I'm doing well financially and really don't need to sell the VFR and use the money for something else.

-Making that trip on the DRZ is not unthought of but would not be comfortable.

-I want to keep the VFR but don't really have any other use for it, as I have a company vehicle that the gas is paid for while I am back in Durham.

-Decently fun motorcycle roads 2/3 of the trip will make the trip much more bearable.

-I really don't like driving long distances but don't mind riding them as much.

I know this largly comes down to a personal choice but I wanted some advice from other angles as well.

I could also use advice on riding gear. I always wear full leathers, full gauntlet gloves and a back protector, I would like to find something more comfortable to wear for these long hauls. I don't want to compromise my safety but I also don't think that I need to be dressed for the track to commute on the slab and cruise back roads, I will not be riding aggressively. Any input is welcome.

Thanks,

Andrew

24 answers to this question

Sounds like you need/want to keep it. I doubt the cost would justify doing it though. You will go through more expensive tires on the bike more often than you would in the car. You would have to figure in maintenance costs between both vehicles in addition to the fuel cost, insurance, etc.

That being said, you seem to enjoy riding more and that is a long trip to not enjoy on a regular basis. Not to mention having a "buddy" bike is cool for visitors. Since the payment, insurance, license, etc. isn't really a concern, I would keep it. :unsure:

Forgot to ad that the insurance costs me a whopping $75 a year. North Carolina has a pretty ridiculous tax structure though so I'm not sure how much it will cost but I have to pay taxes on my company vehicle which is about $600 a year and the rate is based on the value of the vehicle, the bike is probably worth about $3K, the work truck is probably worth $20k. So it shouldn't be enough to really matter. I don't think tires will be too bad once I put touring tires on.

If you can avoid the regular costs of insurance and tags, and have a place to store it, then why not keep it? The gas savings is trivial at best, I wouldn't even add that to the equation. Just think about whether you want to have the option to ride the VFR, or let a friend, then use that to decide if you keep it.

Once you decide to keep it, I would go ahead and set it up for touring. If the gear you wear isn't too uncomfortable, I would continue to wear it on long trips. Sliding down the interstate or backroads at 70 MPH oddly enough feels like sliding down the track at 70 MPH (maybe worse)....and usually it isn't you that puts you there, so the pace you ride doesn't have a ton to do with it.

• Member Contributer

Short answer: I agree with wera803, keep it.

Longer answer: From your post, it sounds like you've made the decision to keep it, and would like us to back you up. (No problem!) You couldn't possibly be expecting us to talk you out of keeping it?

Take the back roads, on the bike, and enjoy the ride! You will be so much happier, it will be ridiculous. Remember, it is the journey, not the destination.

I disagree about the trivial/neglible costs. There are no little things, and they all add up. But you seem to be in a nice place where you don't have to sweat some of the small stuff.

Having a spare bike for friends is just icing on the VFR cake!

Lastly, you can always sell it later if you decide it isn't working out for you. But it'd be a pain to have to regret selling it too soon...

Mac

Short answer: I agree with wera803, keep it.

Longer answer: From your post, it sounds like you've made the decision to keep it, and would like us to back you up. (No problem!) You couldn't possibly be expecting us to talk you out of keeping it?

Take the back roads, on the bike, and enjoy the ride! You will be so much happier, it will be ridiculous. Remember, it is the journey, not the destination.

I disagree about the trivial/neglible costs. There are no little things, and they all add up. But you seem to be in a nice place where you don't have to sweat some of the small stuff.

Having a spare bike for friends is just icing on the VFR cake!

Lastly, you can always sell it later if you decide it isn't working out for you. But it'd be a pain to have to regret selling it too soon...

Mac

That's just it, I know if I sell it I will regret it and then go buy a newer VFR (and spending more money) when I loved this one and was completely content with it in the first place.

• Member Contributer

I'd say keep the VFR for touring/traveling. I have done many long trips on mine and it is a great bike for distance riding. You will also have a change of pace when the trip becomes a hassle with only one option for your ride. You can look into some of the armored mesh for traveling as they are a lot cooler than leather, but also offer some degree of protection. Or another option might be a textile/mesh combo or perforated leather traveling gear. There are lots of option available for gear.

Good luck with the decision.

I'd say keep the VFR for touring/traveling. I have done many long trips on mine and it is a great bike for distance riding. You will also have a change of pace when the trip becomes a hassle with only one option for your ride. You can look into some of the armored mesh for traveling as they are a lot cooler than leather, but also offer some degree of protection. Or another option might be a textile/mesh combo or perforated leather traveling gear. There are lots of option available for gear.

Good luck with the decision.

A couple of things....1) I routinely put 300+ mile days on the DRZ at a hot pace. 500 miles on the VFR at a relaxed pace should be much easier. I also have a 2 piece mesh Joe Rocket suit. I really don't like the pants but I've put thousands of miles on the jacket in comfort. Maybe I just need to try a different set of pants.

• Member Contributer

Keep it just for the option to take it on a two or three week trip once a year.

:laugh:

Set it up for touring and keep it.. You will be surprised how far it actually is to find twisties like your used to in the Durham area.. I assume thats where your buying your house or not far from it?

dont need to dress for the track for street riding.... Rethink that one real hard then ask it again.. What about that curve last week that almost lowsided you?

• Member Contributer

I was in your situation also. Now that I have a proper sport bike, I no longer ride the VFR as my sport bike. So now I am returning it to the comfortable bike that it was when I bought it. It will now be my long distance/commute bike. I will rarely ride it in the twisties now, but if I do it will still be fun in LD mode. I say ride the bike as your LD bike :musik20: :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Sounds like you need/want to keep it. I doubt the cost would justify doing it though. You will go through more expensive tires on the bike more often than you would in the car. You would have to figure in maintenance costs between both vehicles in addition to the fuel cost, insurance, etc.

That being said, you seem to enjoy riding more and that is a long trip to not enjoy on a regular basis. Not to mention having a "buddy" bike is cool for visitors. Since the payment, insurance, license, etc. isn't really a concern, I would keep it. :rolleyes:

%201.gif

Do it for fun, the cost of tires will offset your gas, but do it for fun.

• Member Contributer

If you keep the VFR you have all your options O P E N .

I'm not sure anyone on this forum will encourage you to sell, but I agree with everything the guys are telling you. Not much satisfaction in splitting hairs over exact gas milage. If your style is to ride back home for a visit now and then - do it right with a sport/TOURING set up and enjoy the journey.

That DRZ must be one hell of a bike?

• Member Contributer

You won't regret touring on it. Mine is standard other than a Corbin seat and I was certain that I would need a better touring bike following a proposed 7,000km trip. The trip is over and the bike was superb. I am in love again!!! I only suffered "monkey bum" late in the day and was pleased to find that I was happy to get on the bike every morning. Bought an Air Hawk seat pad at halfway mark and that helped heaps.

My travelling mate was riding a BMW R1200GS and insisted I ride it one day for an hour. In short I didn't like it. Only thing I liked about the GS was the extra room my arthritic knees had.

His comment about the VFR "That handles like a real bike". :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Keep it Andrew.......cheaper alternative on bags are the soft stuff...just started a thread on some saddlebags that really fit. I may have some used stuff for sale soon...give Ya' some real bargains Buddy.......... :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I dont want this to turn into a "gas mileage" thread, but ive noticed and as of this weekend, confirmed that the fuel mileage drops off quite a bit on the freeway at speeds of 70-80mph, as opposed to speeds of 60-65mph. My mileage to columbus, OH from milwaukee was about 46mpg taking hwy 30 across Indiana and part of Ohio, where speed was typically in the 65mph range. Taking the interstate home with speeds around 80, my mileage was noticably less. I didnt figure out the mileage on the trip home, but I can tell you just by noticing I got only about 170 miles to the tank, as opposed to 225 miles to the tank on the trip there. Factory hardbags were also on the bike both ways, if that makes a difference. I also have the front sprocket changed to one tooth larger than stock to keep rpms a bit lower on the freeway, since I end up doing alot of freeway miles on my trips. Just thought this all might be worth something considering you're figuring fuel mileage into the equasion.

• Member Contributer
I dont want this to turn into a "gas mileage" thread, but ive noticed and as of this weekend, confirmed that the fuel mileage drops off quite a bit on the freeway at speeds of 70-80mph, as opposed to speeds of 60-65mph. My mileage to columbus, OH from milwaukee was about 46mpg taking hwy 30 across Indiana and part of Ohio, where speed was typically in the 65mph range. Taking the interstate home with speeds around 80, my mileage was noticably less. I didnt figure out the mileage on the trip home, but I can tell you just by noticing I got only about 170 miles to the tank, as opposed to 225 miles to the tank on the trip there. Factory hardbags were also on the bike both ways, if that makes a difference. I also have the front sprocket changed to one tooth larger than stock to keep rpms a bit lower on the freeway, since I end up doing alot of freeway miles on my trips. Just thought this all might be worth something considering you're figuring fuel mileage into the equasion.

Yep.....60 to 65 MPH steady in high gear is as good as mine gets.....cruise it above that, or a lower gear with more RPM, and it starts dropping........... :biggrin:

I vote for keeping the VFR. You will regret the sale the minute someone buys the keys from you.

I have a Guzzi in the garage snuggled up to my VFR. They love hanging out and I love having a choice in the morning..... :wheel:

The bikes are night and day from each other in ways of style and handling (therein lies the beauty of dual-bike ownership) which takes a bit of an adjustment in the first few miles of heading out. Other than that, the maintenance, gas...oil, insurance etc.......I've adjusted to the minor extra costs.

Depending on your beliefs, you only go around once in this life, might as well have a good time.... :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
I vote for keeping the VFR. You will regret the sale the minute someone buys the keys from you.

I have a Guzzi in the garage snuggled up to my VFR. They love hanging out and I love having a choice in the morning..... :wub:

The bikes are night and day from each other in ways of style and handling (therein lies the beauty of dual-bike ownership) which takes a bit of an adjustment in the first few miles of heading out. Other than that, the maintenance, gas...oil, insurance etc.......I've adjusted to the minor extra costs.

Depending on your beliefs, you only go around once in this life, might as well have a good time.... :biggrin:

Yep, nothing better than "MULTI-BIKE SYNDRUM"..... :wheel:

I've had both bikes

when it comes to slamming into stuff and tight ruff road, you cant beat the DRZ, the DRz is actually a more comfortable bike under 80 mph.

Vfr takes over above that , but if your area is mostly flat and smooth the DRZ wont be the greatest bike, I'd like for them to come out with a DRZ500 with six speed

But yeh , I could see pimping out the VFR for long ride comfort, you already have the excercise bike

I have a Guzzi in the garage snuggled up to my VFR. They love hanging out and I love having a choice in the morning..... :wub:

Depending on your beliefs, you only go around once in this life, might as well have a good time.... :wheel:

Yep, nothing better than "MULTI-BIKE SYNDRUM"..... :goofy:

yeah Skutt.....yer right about that..... :wub: Now I'm really trying hard to figure out how I can fit a dirtbike in the garage....the southwest has amazing back roads for exploring....many of them dirt..... :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Depending on your beliefs, you only go around once in this life, might as well have a good time.... :wub:

Yep, nothing better than "MULTI-BIKE SYNDRUM"..... :goofy:

yeah Skutt.....yer right about that..... :goofy: Now I'm really trying hard to figure out how I can fit a dirtbike in the garage....the southwest has amazing back roads for exploring....many of them dirt..... :wheel:

Just got through building an addition........... :wub: Pointed out to "Mohawk Mamma" there is now room for still another one..... :biggrin: ..........she wasn't real "receptive" to the idea..... :dry: Oh well, not like I'm "BIKELESS"...... :491:

That's just it, I know if I sell it I will regret it and then go buy a newer VFR (and spending more money) when I loved this one and was completely content with it in the first place.

Right there is your answer!! :biggrin:

KEEP IT!!

Archived