Dutch Reminded Me My Wife Isn't Coming Along

Tightwad

As I have been preparing for my first "For Fun" road trip, I have been looking at all my luggage options to see what I will use. I finally put EVERYTHING on, just to see what it's like to drive an RV-Motorcycle. Dutch suggested I pack light, so now I need to see which options I end up using.

All Dressed up, nowhere to go (until Monday):

all_dressed_up.jpg

Do the bags really make my butt look big...or was that the BBQ?

do_these_bags_make_my_butt_look_big.jpg

Tailbag envy? Remember tankbag, size doesn't matter!

tailbag_envy2.jpg

Tailbag is EXL bag on custom rack. Saddlebags are used items purchased from the Classifieds here. Tankbag is from NewEnough clearance. Total out of pocket for whole shebang is <$120.....no wonder I am called "Tightwad"....

I don't think I need all this stuff....this is a 4-5 day ride, not a 3 month tour of duty.

Lose the tailbag, it'll hurt the most in the twisties. To me, a tankbag is essential, saddlebags optional.

I swear by Space Saver bags for packing clothes for a trip. Waterproof, and really do save lots of space.

Lose the tailbag, it'll hurt the most in the twisties. To me, a tankbag is essential, saddlebags optional.

I swear by Space Saver bags for packing clothes for a trip. Waterproof, and really do save lots of space.

Saddlebags are probably first to go I think...the Tailbag doesn't move around as much and I don't have both raincovers for the saddlebags. I have to pack for 4-5 days, so I will need more space than just the smallish tankbag can provide. I think I will gather everything I plan to take and make a final decision from there.

Where are you off to?

Marco

Heading to Arkansas and Tennessee to see Slammer, Dutch and others off to TMac...Family constraints keep from going the whole way...wish I could tho! Still planning route back...or I keep meaning to plan it.

Guest mochoajr
Where are you off to?

Marco

Heading to Arkansas and Tennessee to see Slammer, Dutch and others off to TMac...Family constraints keep from going the whole way...wish I could tho! Still planning route back...or I keep meaning to plan it.

Cool, have fun and ride safe!

Marco

Guest mgtx73

I'm riding along on that same trip but I'm out 9 days. Here is what I'm packing. I'm debating taking a smaller tank bag or possibley a smaller tail bag. With no camping equipment I may be able to pull it off.

2437281375_ea54253fb2_b.jpg

2437280883_e2670ce35a_b.jpg

2438102438_c444cca894_b.jpg

Edited by mgtx73

I spent 13 days o nthe road, if it hadn't been for the camping gear, the tank and saddlebags would have been enough. As I said, the Space Saver bags are waterproof, and you should pack everything in plastic bags anyway. Even if you have hard bags, your stuff will get wet when you open them...

gallery_5444_2144_569897.jpg

Glory shot.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_2192.jpg

Coronado Trail.jpg

• Member Contributer

HOLY BAT CRAP BATMAN!!! Are you guys going to Alaska or North Carolina? :goofy: :biggrin:

The fun part about these trips is learning what you really need and what you don't. A heavy tail pack doesn't bother me any but occasionally the saddlebags throw me off a little when really pushing the curves. Just make sure you've got everything strapped down tight cause you don't want to be stopping all the time to readjust your luggage.

Is it time to go yet??

Some of those pics remind me of my first MC road trip.

Loading up the Honda 350 in the apt bldg courtyard.

I had to take 1/2 the shiit back upstairs. Way too marsh. :goofy:

Edit. The bags make your bikes butt look huge. :biggrin:

I wish it was time to leave....except then I would REALLY be in trouble because I don't even know where I am turning back....at this point I am thinking Nashville....but you never know. Only 2 more days of work...I can do it!

• Member Contributer

4 days?

credit card

2 pair of socks

2 t-shirts

2 underpants

pack of condoms

What ELSE do you need? :goofy: :biggrin: :unsure: :unsure: tongue.gif

I had to go TDY from Nellis AFB in Las Vegas to Hill AFB in Salt Lake City UT for 2 weeks. All I took was a tank bag similiar to what you have and a decent sized back pack. I had to have 2 sets of clothes, the military stuff to include combat boots and off-duty clothes. You shouldn't need too much stuff for a 4-5 day adventure, just the basics. Pretend you're flying on Delta and you're only allowed to take one bag worth of stuff...

Guest mgtx73
Pretend you're flying on Delta and you're only allowed to take one bag worth of stuff...

This is true. I fly quite a bit and last night I thought of this. I removed my huge tail bag and I'm now going with my smaller tail bag. If I was camping I would definitely take the larger tail bag.

It's almost time for TMAC! I leave Austin on Sunday!

The problem with the comparison to flying is that I don't envision having to stop for:

flat tires

mechanical issues(mine or others)

Rain

etc....when i used to travel i could travel very light. Having to be somewhat self sufficient means I pack a bit more....but not, all the bags won't be going. I might need to make room for a sleeping bag, which will cause issues.

• Member Contributer

Geeze all that stuff for 4 days?

All you need, sorry Dutchy, is

4 t-shirts.

5 pair socks

some tools

rasins

I-Pod

My pic here is after being on the road for a week and planning on being on the road for another week, ~1500 miles from home.

SouthTour07251.jpg

That's a big tank bag full of snacks, camelback, and electronics. Everything was packed in ziplock for that trip. Rain covers work ok. Zip-Loc keeps your stuff dry and lets you squeeze air out to save space.

• Member Contributer

Yup went I was on my east coast tour last summer, my stuff went in one hard bag, walking shoes, a tool kit and sleeping bag in the other hard bag, tent netted to pylon seat and I was on my way.

I like being prepared, too, but took way too much stuff with me for a 4-day trip last year, packed in (Firstgear) expanding soft saddlebags and tailbag. Over the winter I bought the OEM bags (via ebay) and am planning to finally install the brackets this weekend in preparation for TMac...

Except now I'm thinking I might be able to get away with just that big expanding tailbag and a decent tankbag instead - if I pack light enough. I'll try it tonight.