St. Meinrad Short Ride

2422550418_8c655efd29_b.jpg

Well after purchasing my 04' VFR in late January and lurking for nearly 5 month I feel as if it is time to post. I'll introduce myself in the intro forum, but here is a short ride I put in today after work.

Commuting to work is good and all, but in Evansville, Indiana there are a total of two curves. After work today I decided to take a quick trip to some real roads. I quickly changed after work and hit the road around 4:50pm. I got on SR 66 West heading for Troy, IN. SR 66 is pretty boring until you get into the Hoosier National Forest, but today's ride needed to be quick because I didn't want to ride in the dark for too long. I decided to head north at Troy, up to St. Meinrad.

Full Size

545 was decent fun, and the country roads were very tight and twisty. However, the small country roads had a very rough surface that didn't inspire too much confidence. Along the way I stopped at this historic bridge on Huffman's Mill Rd.

It was pretty neat, but there was a lot of lame graffiti inside. These Indiana kids need to learn how to spray art (and not on something historic). I really don't care how "bad" they think they are.

2422653732_c1e3041e1e_b.jpg

I then headed towards St. Meinrad, which is both the name of the town and the Monastery.

2422552500_afe248a076_b.jpg

2422551760_47ecd18392_b.jpg

This place sat above the whole town up on this hill. My arrival was timed perfect, and I had amazing light for some photographs with the sun setting on the Monastery. You can even see the moon rising in this picture.

2422553940_01f8e49e8e_b.jpg

2422554842_ef9bc23fd6_b.jpg

2421743259_3ef43b2720_b.jpg

The ride home was just as much fun. There were quite a few insects along the Ohio river, but a little extra cleaning never hurt anyone. Overall I'd rate this trip as a B. The scenery was excellent, but the roads didn't meet my expectations. Those roads out in the boonies get neglected.

:fing02: Here's to actually participating in the forum, and not just lurking.

Mike

• Member Contributer

Hoosier country....

Been there!!!

Albeit on a California which I rode for 3 weeks through the USA, visiting a Moto Guzzi ralley many moons ago.

no shit on the straight roads in Indiana...... tongue.gif they go on and on....

• Member Contributer

That bike and tank bag look familiar. :idea3: Looks like you're enjoying it, nice pics by the way. If you haven't ridden northeast out of Tell City yet (hwy 66 I think) it's a great ride up to hwy 62. Just watch out there are a few blind hills that will lift your front tire if your going to fast.

That bike and tank bag look familiar. :comp13: Looks like you're enjoying it, nice pics by the way. If you haven't ridden northeast out of Tell City yet (hwy 66 I think) it's a great ride up to hwy 62. Just watch out there are a few blind hills that will lift your front tire if your going to fast.

Oh snap, what's up Eric? The bike is rock solid and I've been racking up the mileage. I know exactly what you are talking about on SR-66. I've made several trips to Lexington, and have taken that route almost every time. Hopefully I can throw a ride report together for my next trip to Lex. Glad to see you are still around these parts!

Also thanks to everyone for the kind welcome and compliments! I need to do the whole introduction thing, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Great pics and post, and very nice looking bike.

Just curious about the wheels. My '04 has silver wheels. Didn't think '04's came with the black wheels.

The reason I noticed is that I really want black wheels on my '04...

Are the wheels stock?

Welcome to the forum!

Don't know if you've noticed but he's got a grey one up front and a black one up back... odd!!!!

+1 on the quality of the photographs... nice lighting, focus and composition...

Welcome, that's a more than decent first ride report!!

• Member Contributer
Don't know if you've noticed but he's got a grey one up front and a black one up back... odd!!!!

That's my fault. The rear has been painted black. I never could decide which I liked better so I sold the bike. :rolleyes:

Just curious about the wheels. My '04 has silver wheels. Didn't think '04's came with the black wheels.

The reason I noticed is that I really want black wheels on my '04...

Are the wheels stock?

Like Hoopster said, the rear was stock silver and then painted black (if you haven't already guessed, I bought the bike used from Hoopster). I will probably repaint it when I can scrounge up the money. I've been too busy riding to really pay attention to it though. :biggrin:

Archived