Now That Was A Fun Commute

• Member Contributer

This morning was chilly, but still clear. Not at all like Monday, when it was pouring rain the whole way. I have a 28 mile commute, Euless to west Fort Worth... I would usually drive when the weather doesn't cooperate, but the intake manifold on my car cracked last week, so I'm down to one operating vehicle. Not that I mind; between my heated jacket liner and froggtoggs, I can keep dry and warm even in pouring cold rain, and I prefer riding to driving almost no matter the situation.

Around lunchtime, a coworker stopped by my desk to let me know it was snowing outside. Eek. I walked out to check i out, and sure enough, the flakes were falling from the sky quite liberally. I shrugged and went back in to work, figuring I could catch a ride home if I had to. At about 2:00, I went outside again and it was back to rain, and all the snow on the ground had melted. I decided to pack it up and head home while the going was good.

The first 15 miles or so went fine... rainy, but moving smoothly, no big deal. Then, while on 121 heading up towards 820, the snow started again. Hmm, pull over or keep going? I opted to keep on. Everyone was driving with their heads, and speeds on the freeway slowed to 20 mph, with the occasional slow spot or stop. I was kind of surprised as to how 'normal' it felt... I really couldn't tell I was riding on snow, other then the fact that I had to reach up to clean off my visor every minute or so. The one pucker moment came after traffic stopped, and then started going again. When I shifted up from first to 2nd, the back broke loose and started scooting around. Whoops. Stayed steady on the throttle and weight on the pegs, and was able to straighten her back out after a couple of oscillations.

By the time I got home, it was really coming down, with more then an inch sitting along the shoulder of the road. Pulled up to the garage and yelled for my fiancee to go grab the camera to document my ice encrusted motorcycle. There was a small mountain of snow built up on my tankbag. For some reason, I couldn't stop laughing... even though I never broke 25mph, it was still a REALLY fun ride. Fiancee was just looking at me like I'd lost my marbles. *shrug* I don't think I'd go out for a ride in the snow again just for the hell of it, but at least I know I can do it now if I have to. :thumbsup:

gallery_9636_3007_69335.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just an inch? LOL. Cool pic. Good to be home. :salesman:

Haha! You were out in that $h!t?!

I work in Frisco, and everybody was like, "aren't you glad you didn't ride in this morning?" <_<

Don't y'all get tired of that? I'm gonna have to send those people a link to this thread.

When it snows in Texas, people don't know what to do! Everybody left early for work at my job.:thumbsup:

People around here are like, "It's snowing! FREE DAY!"

• Member Contributer
Riding in the snow is actually quite fun, love the pic - rain or shine I'm riding

We have 3feet on the ground and another foot of snow coming this weekend if you want to go riding :P

And I'd love to have a picture of every driver you passed when they saw you! I always get the "Are you crazy?!" looks when I'm out in the rain. It only adds to the enjoyment for me. Maybe next time you'll be able to snap some of those pics for me, right? :rolleyes:

I don't think there's many (any?) Canadians that could rival that picture! :beer:

I don't know about you southern guys? :rolleyes:

Riding in the snow is actually quite fun, love the pic - rain or shine I'm riding

We have 3feet on the ground and another foot of snow coming this weekend if you want to go riding :P

I'll just nip into the shed to attach the snow plough :joystick:

• Member Contributer

Has happened to me about 4 times over the years.......get caught out in it, and nothing feels as good as pulling safely into the driveway, and you and the bike totally unscathed..........great you got a picture............. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

You KNOW you had to have the picture.

I got the funny looks when I had to forge some small ponds and ride over a downed tree that were products of a 4" rain in one hour ordeal a couple of years ago.

One guy in a harley stickered truck rolled down his window to give me a :thumbsup: and whoohoo.

Congrats on the adventure!

Archived