Camera Mount

Guest VFOr

I can't see your arse... well, maybe the extreme right upper quadrant. But it's a pretty damn good view if you ask me, way better than the view achieved with the RAM extender off the rear fottpeg support. My leg takes up half the screen with this set-up:

Why do you think it's no good? The only drawback I can see is taking the camera out if you get to close to something (like when lane splitting, etc.)

• Forum CEO

The advantage to that set up is - your in the shot so you have a subject. Granted your butt is there but at least your not picking a wedgie like valintino rossi does every time they shoot him on his race bike. It makes filming solo more interesting since you have a subject in the shot, besides the road that is. You can bend it out more, or twist the camera out a bit if you dont like so much of your bum in the shot.

I use the oregon scientific atc2k camera and it comes with a handlebar mount that I have modified to fit the forks and with wheel motion slightly in the shot it gives a little bit different view to the subject perspective. You can buy the mounting kit for this camera as a stand alone order and you might find the mounts give you more options.

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/prod...=14&pid=709

This is the camera but it is cheaper on ebay.

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/prod...=14&pid=821

And this is the mount.

The footage is stable and I use this skiing and the camera is waterproof, and I have hit a few trees with it.

The advantage to that set up is - your in the shot so you have a subject. Granted your butt is there but at least your not picking a wedgie like valintino rossi does every time they shoot him on his race bike. It makes filming solo more interesting since you have a subject in the shot, besides the road that is. You can bend it out more, or twist the camera out a bit if you dont like so much of your bum in the shot.

+1 on that, it's good to have the rider in view somewhat, gives you a better reference to things and also provides more to watch. And you're really just on the edge in your set-up, not like the view mine produces, that's overkill.

• Member Contributer
Got out for a short ride to test Rev2 camera mount, don't think its gonna work out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?eyrtjjwqndf

Actually, I found your camera setup pretty interesting. I can see the road, the rider, part of the instruments. Not bad at all. :thumbsup: However, if you could move your right elbow a little bit out I could see the full tach. Oh, and get a different color helmet! :warranty: Where is the color coordination with the bike? :goofy:

I've got a friend with a Bandit 1200 who's been experimenting with camera mounts (he's got one of those Oregon Scientific cameras), and he found that the camera was hopeless (due to vibration) on the top of the handlebar mount, the tank, etc. But (however!) when he put the mounting bracket on the crash bars down by the right-hand side of the engine case, it was very smooth, despite his engine feeling vibey. He was quite surprised at how much less blurry the picture was.

• Forum CEO
Got out for a short ride to test Rev2 camera mount, don't think its gonna work out.

Actually, I found your camera setup pretty interesting. I can see the road, the rider, part of the instruments. Not bad at all. :thumbsup: However, if you could move your right elbow a little bit out I could see the full tach. Oh, and get a different color helmet! :warranty: Where is the color coordination with the bike? :goofy:

Let me get this strait, the pimp in the orange hat is giving advice on how to dress? HEH

Oh, and get a different color helmet! :warranty: Where is the color coordination with the bike? :goofy:

Let me get this strait, the pimp in the orange hat is giving advice on how to dress? HEH

Hahahaha, yeah, strange huh? But his hat matches his shirt Slammer... even the lenses in his spectacles... :goofy: :goofy: :goofy:

I can't see your arse... well, maybe the extreme right upper quadrant. But it's a pretty damn good view if you ask me, way better than the view achieved with the RAM extender off the rear fottpeg support. My leg takes up half the screen with this set-up:

Why do you think it's no good? The only drawback I can see is taking the camera out if you get to close to something (like when lane splitting, etc.)

I think too much of screen is filled with rider's body, I want just enough of rider/bike to have it feel like a motorcycle but more road in the screen. I think extending it out a little might help, still have a bit to go before it sticks out as far as the mirror.

I tried the passenger footpeg mount also and feel the same about too much leg, not enough road.

Whole lotta boot vid:

http://www.mediafire.com/?a5wjzymwjny

The advantage to that set up is - your in the shot so you have a subject.

It makes filming solo more interesting since you have a subject in the shot, besides the road that is.

I agree completely, helmet mounts look great if you have a rider in front of you. The other thing I'm trying for is to keep the microphone near the exhaust to pick up the sound of the bike. Mounting near the back and carrying the storage camera in a seat pack or saddlebag works out nicely.

Oh, and get a different color helmet! :warranty: Where is the color coordination with the bike? :goofy:

I am a rolling fashion faux pas. Having destroyed all of my riding gear in last springs crash, I am sporting all new shiny gear, yellow Sidis, yellow helmet and yellow Icon Mercs, but hey, they all match that gorgeous yellow wing on the tank!

• Member Contributer
I use the oregon scientific atc2k camera and it comes with a handlebar mount that I have modified to fit the forks and with wheel motion slightly in the shot it gives a little bit different view to the subject perspective. You can buy the mounting kit for this camera as a stand alone order and you might find the mounts give you more options.

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/prod...=14&pid=709

This is the camera but it is cheaper on ebay.

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/prod...=14&pid=821

And this is the mount.

The footage is stable and I use this skiing and the camera is waterproof, and I have hit a few trees with it.

I use this camera and mount. I originally mounted to the mirror stock which was nice for easy access but I knew when I mounted it that it would have too much vibration. It made the picture look like a moving fun house mirror. Some how I got he bright idea to put a bumper sticker on my left fairing where it meets the front fairing and glued the basically flat helmet mount onto the sticker. Still gets some vibration and its difficult to aim the camera. My first couple tries were off and then it snowed..... try again in a couple months.

The concept of the camera is great though- SD card and two AA batteries! But I must say that they are right about removing the waterproof membrane from the microphone. The sound sucks, but thats not a big deal for us so I leave it in. Rained first time out with it and didn't have to worry.

• Member Contributer

+1 on that, it's good to have the rider in view somewhat, gives you a better reference to things and also provides more to watch. And you're really just on the edge in your set-up, not like the view mine produces, that's overkill.

+2

If it bugs you that much, keep in mind,.... 2 inches can make a huge difference.

• Member Contributer
Take a look at this guy's setup, I want one real bad, and it looks simple enough to make out of RAM equipment. I just don't have the cash or the time right now to upgrade my video setup. sad.gif

Cool stuff!

Helps to have lots of cams, and $$$ flowing out your butt.

• Member Contributer
Helps to have lots of cams, and $$$ flowing out your butt.

Could've been multiple passes? Some of it looks repeated. Betcha the guy can't make a hugger to save his life though! :blink:

I like it cause you can actually see bike.

Those camera shots are awesome! The one I can't figure out is how he got the right rear view with that much bike in the frame. I'm picturing the 6 foot RAM arm. :blink: I also like the shot that I think was mounted to the foot peg. And the riding wasn't that bad either. :lol:

Take a look at this guy's setup, I want one real bad, and it looks simple enough to make out of RAM equipment. I just don't have the cash or the time right now to upgrade my video setup. sad.gif

Cool stuff!

Great find SEB. That is one of the best I've seen. Music fit perfectly. Real professional look.

That does it.... this has me motivated to ride the bike to work. There is a tire track through the snow and ice at the end of my block that is clear.. I'm threading the needle and riding to work. Once I make it past the end of the block I'm good-to-go. 15 snow events this season... nearly constant snow coverage on my street... only three days of riding in for this year... I'm 'bout to go berserk.

• Member Contributer

Actually, I found your camera setup pretty interesting. I can see the road, the rider, part of the instruments. Not bad at all. :thumbsup: However, if you could move your right elbow a little bit out I could see the full tach. Oh, and get a different color helmet! :blink: Where is the color coordination with the bike? :goofy:

:lol:

He's actually done a great job coordinating. He's played up the accent color of the yellow Honda wing decals on the tank! :beer:

Those camera shots are awesome! The one I can't figure out is how he got the right rear view with that much bike in the frame. I'm picturing the 6 foot RAM arm. :blink: I also like the shot that I think was mounted to the foot peg. And the riding wasn't that bad either. :lol:

There's a link to the setup he used on his site. It looks like two 10 or 12" RAM arms on a base with a mount at the other end for a bullet cam. $130. :joystick:

• Member Contributer

The video quality you're getting out of your Helmet Cam is much better than mine. My 380-line Helmet Cam just gave up the ghost, so I ordered one of their 480-line units. I also run several different lenses and just picked up a 2.6mm for cockpit shots and a 16mm for zoom shots. We'll see how they work out.

In addition to the velcro strip on the side of the helmet, I have ram balls on the front of the tank, my left pillion peg bracket, the clutch mount and on the SportsRack I sometimes run. I use 3 different length arms, depending on what I'm trying to shoot. I like videos that combine different views, just to keep things interesting.

What kind of recorder are you running?

Archived