3d Gen Frame & Swing Arm: Polish Or "chrome" Powder?

JZH

• Member Contributer

My first thought was to powder coat everything black (I'm keeping the bodywork R-157 Italian Red), but having seen a 5th Gen with that combo, I now think that's just too...well, black.

I bought an RC30 swing arm that is already polished. Looks nice. I've been reading about frame polishing (flyguyeddie's thread), and think that might be the way forward. More maintenance to keep the metal shiny, but I hardly ride my bikes anyway. sad.gif

However, I could still powder coat with the "chrome" color, like he did the swinger? (Something has to be done about my frame--it looks too crap to leave as is.)

The wheels have been black since 1991 and they will stay black--once you've tried it, you never go back, they say... :rolleyes:

So, I think it's down to polishing the frame and keeping the swing arm as is, or powder coating the frame and swing arm in the "chrome" color. What say ye?

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

have you thought about polishing then getting some pro clear coat?

they can "chrome" anything these days.. even your skin. in what looks like real chrome.

Guest vfrrider

JZH,

I would say the least maintenance would be "chrome" powdercoat. Watch the holes though, its a pain to get out of the threads.

Post pics.

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer
My first thought was to powder coat everything black (I'm keeping the bodywork R-157 Italian Red), but having seen a 5th Gen with that combo, I now think that's just too...well, black.

I dunno, I like the black. If you look at toro1's pics of his '98, it looks pretty good.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/toro1/98vfr800/

It's such a personal preference, though.

If you do stick with shiny, I'd side with Seb. "Chrome" powdercoat just doesn't look as good as polished.

• Member Contributer
Polish, then clear powder. The fake chrome never looks right, in my opinion.

Clear powder? I've heard of various things you can put over polished alloy (e.g., in flyguyeddie's thread), but not clear powder coating. Does everyone have this, or is it something special?

Cheers,

• Member Contributer
What about that clear coating that Murray is always raving about?

Nyalic: http://www.nyalic.com/

Why do I have two threads on this topic? Oops...

Yes, well, that's what I was referring to in my reply on the other thrread. Not sure if its available here, though.

Cheers,

Polish, then clear powder. The fake chrome never looks right, in my opinion.

Clear powder? I've heard of various things you can put over polished alloy (e.g., in flyguyeddie's thread), but not clear powder coating. Does everyone have this, or is it something special?

Cheers,

It should be universal. It's used for candy top coats as well. You can actually polish your frame, then powdercoat with a tinted clear to get the candy look. Looks similar to the colored chrome window tint the ricers like to use on their Civics...

What about that clear coating that Murray is always raving about?

Nyalic: http://www.nyalic.com/

Why do I have two threads on this topic? Oops...

Yes, well, that's what I was referring to in my reply on the other thrread. Not sure if its available here, though.

Cheers,

Check their website, there is an ordering link.

Also look for Everbrite which I'm told is the name Nyalic is marketed under in the US.

Great stuff :goofy:

The wheels have been black since 1991 and they will stay black--once you've tried it, you never go back, they say... unsure.gif

Mine went full polish in 2000, but I'm going back to black... I too am wondering about swingarm and frame finish...

• 4 months later...

just noticed this thread and figureed i would weigh in. i dont like the chrome powder on my swingarm and will most likely remove it and polish the swinger.

i need to try this everbrite stuff cause my last attempt at a clearcoat ended horribly.

Archived