Vfr1 :-)

zRoYz

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant comment on ease of fitting, but after following Roy and Kirby for a few days I can say the headers look very good, and sound great. Kirby's bike with Staintunes sounds louder than Roys with the Lasers, but not by much. Roys sounds more refined, not so raw and raspy.

Guest thebigd

...good reading Roy. Any issues with the local authorities not running a cat ? Great toolbox btw, you would be happy with the weekend results...

Edited by thebigd

Nice Mods...

Any feedback on the Motad header?

regards,

There's a group buy stirring up for the headers purchase. Should would like some feedback from you on fitment, loundness, etc.

regards.

Sorry have been slack lately with my posting.

The Motard headers fit was perfect & for me to say that being a X fitter is for real. I have fitted 2x sets & each set bolted up without me having to use any force what so ever to bend something to line up or fit.

The sound is great not to over the top & not that much louder than aftermarket cans but with more note & crackle. The effect on my bike was very noticeable in power delivery because when you open the throttle there is power with no hesitation at all until red line & on/off throttle there is no jumpy feeling you tend to get every now & then. I don't think they would be much different from 98 headers with the main advantage being no CAT.

They have the holes for the 02 sensors & bkt for the center stand so they really are just bolt up & go, the only thing I didn't like that much was the finish which is smooth but just a painted finish over the ST/ST. If you go to Motard site you will still see pic of nice polished finish with a small note they now come painted grey which when I asked why the change was informed they got to many complaints about the headers pitting due to polished finish. I was told since they started just spraying them with paint they haven't had a complaint but I wish you could choose as I don't mind cleaning my bike & think the UK guys just lazy.

I will be having a new map on dyno done sometime in March so will post results when done as for the powers to be in AUS they think a cat has four legs with fur & wouldn't know if not installed.

If you go to Motard site you will still see pic of nice polished finish with a small note they now come painted grey which when I asked why the change was informed they got to many complaints about the headers pitting due to polished finish. I was told since they started just spraying them with paint they haven't had a complaint but I wish you could choose as I don't mind cleaning my bike & think the UK guys just lazy.

No salt on Aussie roads in winter, Roy!

Well get your act together and post away, there's an AC that's been given approval to fix, tho haggling over price, and then I need to make a visit to the OBH

If you go to Motard site you will still see pic of nice polished finish with a small note they now come painted grey which when I asked why the change was informed they got to many complaints about the headers pitting due to polished finish. I was told since they started just spraying them with paint they haven't had a complaint but I wish you could choose as I don't mind cleaning my bike & think the UK guys just lazy.

No salt on Aussie roads in winter, Roy!

Yes I know but they don't give you the option for polished & there is noway in Hell I'm going to polish them so grey it is, I was thinking about getting them coated but as there st/st & won't rust plus the cost factor I decided against it (All my spare $$ goes on tyres & track time for the CBR1000RR).

Well get your act together and post away, there's an AC that's been given approval to fix, tho haggling over price, and then I need to make a visit to the OBH

When they stop haggling give me a call. Will talk about your bike when the other 750 leaves in the next week or so (the shock I did have for it I sent back due to marks on shaft, but it seems to now be lost in the post ffs)

• Member Contributer
Tank pad & corbin are for touring, standard seat solo cowl has also been resprayed black.

The R1 forks are specials as I do work for a suspension tuner (he does the valving etc, I strip out the shocks forks etc when he needs a hand) the valving is nothing like standard R1 valving & has been specifically designed for road use as I'm the test monkey.

I'm a blue freak sorry all my cars are blue, well even my new tool box that was my xmas gift to myself.

vfr1008og7.jpg

Hey rock on brother! Blue oval all the way - love that toolbox mate it must have cost a fortune. I sure hope you own the accompanying BF or BA series FPV, XR8, or XR6 turbo as well! Personally I have a BFII XR6T which is just the ducks guts.

Hey rock on brother! Blue oval all the way - love that toolbox mate it must have cost a fortune. I sure hope you own the accompanying BF or BA series FPV, XR8, or XR6 turbo as well! Personally I have a BFII XR6T which is just the ducks guts.

I only have the BF XR6 which is my work transport & track bike transport.

picturehn9.jpg

picturehn9.eeffb3881f.jpg

Edited by zRoYz

Guest nominal_squid
I only have the BF XR6 which is my work transport & track bike transport.

picturehn9.jpg

picturehn9.eeffb3881f.jpg

You lucky bums down under get all the cool cars...I wish they had the balls to bring that to the US. Or maybe it's time to migrate south....

• 5 weeks later...
You lucky bums down under get all the cool cars...I wish they had the balls to bring that to the US. Or maybe it's time to migrate south....

Well, we did get the GTO... (was a Holden to start!)

Cool ride though, funny how that would be a "custom" here. If they made a Subaru Baja that looked less like a wagon and more like a truck(or just less like a wagon) I'd probably buy one. I'll stick to the Silverado for now though! Chevy Power!! :beer:

Well, we did get the GTO... (was a Holden to start!)

You're getting the Holden ute soon (as a Pontiac) - http://www.themotorreport.com.au/2888/pont...and-sportwagon/

Here's what the hottest version sold in Oz looks like... Mods, note motorcycle content! :D

hsv-maloo-1.jpg

And is this the next GTO?

medium_2299293000_faa7919006_o.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

mods no need to delete anything, I luv utes just as much as bikes :fing02:

I really like the new Ford performance utes about to be released here in AUS this one is the V8 we also get a turbo six.

sp5pk7.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Roy, long time no post! I realize it's winter down there now, do you guys get much snow?

I' curious to know how the front end's holding up, if you still love it, etc?

:idea3:

Excuse me I have been caught up of late playing at the track with my CBR1000RR which takes allot of my time, we only get snow in 2 places whole of Australia so you can ride all year round here.

Because it has been taking up allot of my time I'll post some pics of the CBR1000RR which I'm always adding parts too as you do.

Since this pic I have removed the Ohlins ttx shock as I didn't like it & fitted a WP shock & front rotors have been upgraded to 320mm Galfers (04/05 standard are 310mm)

gallery_2353_2169_100100.jpg

CBRTRACK.jpg

gallery_2353_2169_50388.jpg

EC19th.jpg

The VFR1 is still going strong & the R1 front end has never let me down, in fact the brakes & handling are so good there isn't anything I can do to improve it. I did have some 6 pot R1 calipers to fit but didn't bother due to the bike already will out brake the tire & I use race rubber for a front tire. Nothing upsets the front end pot holes, bumps, ripples, dirt I have never had one front end slide since the install & the best part is even with so many adjustments since finding a setting I like there hasn't been any need to add clicks of anything.

It's strange with the talk of the "maybe" new V5 or whatever VFR because the only improvement for me would be the few extra hp, but unless I'm doing 200kph+ I see no need for that. I have fitted the Motard headers which made a great improvement on smoothing out power delivery & you don't even notice VTEC except for the induction noise so driving out of turns is much smoother (dyno map bellow).

Some updated pics.

gallery_2353_2169_20303.jpg

VFRdesktop.jpg

gallery_2353_2169_291924.jpg

VFR1desktop.jpg

gallery_2353_2169_14355.jpg

ROYZ_POWER_TORQUE_RPM.JPG

gallery_2353_2169_46138.jpg

ROYZ_POWER_TIME.JPG

Nut shell: for everyday riding, touring, full sports riding, pillion comfort there is no better bike, I can do 2500kms of twisty mountain roads in 3 days & still dance a jig at the end & I'm no spring Chicken :unsure:

Looks great Roy, all of it!

Any chance you could post your details as far as your elevation above sea level where the map was tuned, what the weather was like that day(and maybe the map too)?

I am putting my 99 headers on this winter and would like to get my hands on a bunch of maps to play with.

• 11 months later...