In-ear headphones

Guest Paul P

Man, it's tough to know which way to go with this stuff. I've got the $50 or so dollar Sony buds EX71 Sl's and liked them better fit wise and bass wise than the E2c's. Granted the E2c's were "clearer" overall, but they didn't fit that well and wouldn't work with helmet where the Sony's bass response is much better, fit with helmet but aren't noise canceling so I couldn't see using them while riding.

aaargh :P

There's no doubt that everyone has to find the ones that FIT and the ones they specifically like the sound of. A very personal choice. All you can do is try to read up on all the forums, reviews, and make decisions on which ones to TRY.

Then you can weed out the ones that don't fit, or sound the way you like.

Good Hunting smile.gif

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ended buying a pair of the E2c's myself, and personally I really like them a lot.

When I was shopping around for a pair of in ear phones one site that really helped was iLounge , it's an iPod centric site but they had some good reviews on head phones.

Here's the direct link to the head phone reviews iLounge head phone reviews .

Shure also make an E2g model in ear phone that is designed more towards gamers. The low end is more exagerated than the E2c's for more bass, at least that's what I got from reading reviews on them.

I also looked at some of the sony in ear's also but a lot of people were complaing about build quality and the headphone wires fraying and coming apart, and for about $20 more I got a set a phones that come with a 2 year warranty.

• Member Contributer

I just got a new Aerostitch catalog in the mail and was browsing of course(they always have lots of cool stuff smile.gif ) and noticed something in the ear bud section.

Anyone tried these "Jabra EarGels" # 3078 for $9? They're supposed to block out ambient sound quite a bit with your ear buds. Wondered if anyone's tried them?

www.aerostitch.com if you need it

• Member Contributer
#2) I couldn't get my helmet on without pulling them out.

I use e-2's and I am happy with them. I am not an audiophile but the sounds is good enough for me - and they are comfortable to wear all day. To prevent them from moving (especially when putting the helmet on) I wear a very thin skullcap pulled down over my ears. Keeps the plugs in place for longer rides and also absorbs a little sweat too - no more stinky lid!

<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the reply's. ?I really do not want to spend 100+ for the

headphones. ?The Sure EC's are about 85. ?Seems like they may not be usable with a helmet.... ? If anyone is using these I'd like to hear about.

Thanks again,

Paul</font>

Hi Paul, I have the EC2's. I use them with my SHark RSR Helmet. They work great. I can hear my music clearly at a lower volume so I will not go deaf. They stay in my ear's while putting on and taking off my helmet. The only thing I found out was to be much more alert while riding.

Brad in Ottawa

Guest MinnMarker
I use e-2's and I am happy with them.  I am not an audiophile but the sounds is good enough for me - and they are comfortable to wear all day.  To prevent them from moving (especially when putting the helmet on) I wear a very thin skullcap pulled down over my ears.  Keeps the plugs in place for longer rides and also absorbs a little sweat too - no more stinky lid!

+1.gif

I put some foam in the ear pocket area of my helmet. Just enough to press lightly against the ear and the e-2's. That keeps them in.

FWIW, I find them more comfortable than the custom molded plugs but not quite as good at blocking outside sound. YMMV

• 1 month later...

The Griffin Air Click remote must be a good safety thing to have. I have a spot in my tankbag made for an iPod and it is rather dangerous trying to scroll around and look down to see where the buttons are. Suprised I haven't wiped out yet fooling around with the thing.

Did you mount yours on the clutch resevoir with velcro?

• Member Contributer
The Griffin Air Click remote must be a good safety thing to have.? I have a spot in my tankbag made for an iPod and it is rather dangerous trying to scroll around and look down to see where the buttons are. Suprised I haven't wiped out yet fooling around with the thing.

Did you mount yours on the clutch resevoir with velcro?

Yeah, it's really a great thing for riding. Makes changing volume, tracks, being able to pause when coming to a stop to take to your buddies etc. very easy.

I've got a few ways that I figured out to mount it. The easiest one is that I've got one of those Rapid Transit Triple Tree bags and there's a raised rubber logo piece that I just snipped the middle seams on the top and bottom of the logo that are used to attach it to the top of the bag. I just slip the Air Click remote's clip under the logo and it's very secure and protected. They include a little mounting bracket with it that's pretty cool but I just use the remote's spring loaded clip.

Another nice thing I just thought of is that this allows me to put the pod in my inside chest pocket so I don't have the earbud cords dangling anywhere....totally self contained :P

I need someone to try out the new Shure E500PTH Isolating Earphones for me with three Hi-Definition Drivers. They have the new push-to hear control also that allows you to talk to others while you have them in your ears, yet otherwise provide 35-37db of isolation.

Shure E500PTH Sound IsolatingTM Earphones

Brand:Shure

Price: $499.99

Product Reference

http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wireless/s...productid=21310

Product snapshot as of 6/19/2006

Price and availability are subject to change

Product Includes

Product Overview

Shure Incorporated raises the bar in the CE market with the launch of the E500 Sound IsolatingTM Earphones, the new flagship for the award-winning E Series product line. Setting a new standard for sound isolating and noise-canceling headphones, the E500 Earphones are precision-engineered for audiophiles and include an innovative "Push-to-Hear" option that lets you alternate between complete isolation and your connection with the outside world.

What HDTV has done to the experience of watching television, the E500's Triple Hi-Definition Drivers will do for audio. Utilizing three miniature speakers-one tweeter and two woofers-the E500 lets you experience precise highs and the richest lows that are true to live performance. Delivered in a tiny "in-ear" package with a sleek and comfortable new bronze metallic design, these earphones represent the ultimate audio experience at home or on the go.

An industry first for sound-isolating earphones, the E500 is available packaged with Shure's new modular Push-to-Hear (PTH) accessory. Designed to allow consumers to alternate between complete immersion in their music or a connection with outside ambient sounds, the Push-to-Hear Control activates an external microphone and mutes the music. Perfect for brief conversations at work or when traveling, Shure's PTH is also sold separately and can be used with any sound isolating earphones.

"IDC forecasts that the portable compressed audio (MP3) player market will grow from over 105 million units shipped worldwide in 2005 to nearly 182 million in 2009," said Susan Kevorkian, Program Manager, IDC Consumer Markets: Audio, "The audio accessories best positioned to capitalize on this trend will be those that not only enhance the listening experience, but also complement the inspired design that is a hallmark of the portable MP3 player category."*

Leveraging personal monitor technology previously available only to professional musicians, the E500 offers the following features and benefits:

Unparalleled Acoustic Accuracy: The E500 is the first in Shure's earphone line to utilize 3 miniature precision-engineered drivers -- one tweeter and two woofers -- to offer the most accurate audio reproduction for the ultimate in precision highs and the richest lows.

Sound Isolating Design/Personalized Fit and Comfort: Proven more effective than noise-cancellation, Shure's sound isolating earphones block 30-37dB of outside noise with a good seal. Leveraging soft, flexible sleeves that contour to the inside of the ear for the best possible fit and maximum comfort during wear, the E500 blocks outside noise to prevent it from interfering with the audio experience.

Low-Profile Industrial Design: This is miniature technology at its best with sleek styling, bronze metallic casing, and a unique over-the-ear design to keep cables ou

I need someone to try out the new Shure E500PTH Isolating Earphones for me with three Hi-Definition Drivers.  They have the new push-to hear control also that allows you to talk to others while you have them in your ears, yet otherwise provide 35-37db of isolation.

Brand:Shure

Price: $499.99

No problem, order up a set and ship em north - I'll give them a try for you. Might need a couple months or so to get a good review done though, I'll ship em back in NOvember. THat work for ya? :lol:

ER6i's. They go in, cut noise, stay in and work just great. You should buy 'em, 'cause it'd make me feel bad if you decided to make a  decision based on your own research and experience.

Been there, done that, sounded like hogs farting against the barn door. They had absolutely nothing below 80hz. Gave them to my 2 kids, my wife, they all handed them back to me with a frown asking me why they sounded llike sh#$.

• Member Contributer
Gotta get me one of those Hz meters. I had no idea what my wife and kids have been missing.

Forget the Hertz meter. I'll just fart against your barn door while your wife and kids stand on the other side. :goofy:

Seriously, had I known that they were being deprived of the sound of your barn door farts, I would've seriously reconsidered my choice of headphones.

barn doors tend to have a resonant frequency around 6hz with the 2nd order harmonics showing their ugly head around 40hz ( bottom note of a bass guitar), depending totally upon the species of wood used. :goofy:

OK the Shure E4c really sounded like those 3.99 transistor radios that people take to the beach to listen to the ball game on AM radio.

Doing a bit of research at Circuit City for headphones and I was wondering if anybody tried the JVC HAFX55ZW ?? They're under $30 and have a frequency responce of 5-24000 Hz...

Doing a bit of research at Circuit City for headphones and I was wondering if anybody tried the JVC HAFX55ZW ??  They're under $30 and have a frequency responce of 5-24000 Hz...

Nope, haven't heard those yet. Remember, frequency response charts can say anything, and have nothing at all in relationship with what they sound like. Ya GOTTA hear them, as they all fit everyone differently and that is the biggest factor of all. Try them...you should be able to return them easily. :P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kbral
<font color='#000000'>Greetings,

For the first time i rode with ear plugs this weekend. WOW! I can't believe how much less tired I got. Most of my rides have

been an hour or less and not much highway riding. Even at moderate speeds (40 to 50) the plugs really make the ride more enjoyable.

Here is my question: I read some posts about some in-ear stereo head phones that seal out noise. I found a pair made by Sure called the EC2. There is another product out there that is similar. Does anyone use these things? Any problem getting a full face helmet on with them? I ran a search but came up empty...

Thanks for your help</font>

I use the ec2. They are great.

I use the ec2. They are great.

After trying just about everything, I finally ponied up and bought the E3c s. I love 'em, and I could have bought two pair with all the messing around trying not to spend the money I did.

Of course, right after I bought 'em they came out with the i3c, with the cell phone input. I ride on call a lot and HATE taking everything off, so this sounded great. Since my wife started riding with me recently, she just got a brand new (to her) pair of e3cs and now I have the i3's, and love them too.

FWIW,,

Steve

• Member Contributer
Doing a bit of research at Circuit City for headphones and I was wondering if anybody tried the JVC HAFX55ZW ?? They're under $30 and have a frequency responce of 5-24000 Hz...

Those simply don't cost enough!!! :salesman:

Witch in-ear head phones protect your hearing the best?

I would need them to hook up the GPS.

Sound quality is not important but they should keep noise out very well, as I'm having tinnitus already sad.gif

I just hope they are available in/to Belgium too.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

A FR of 5-24k Hz really tells nothing about the speaker. What tells about the speaker is the +/- X db rating just after the Frequency Response. A speaker that is 1-29k Hz +/- 20db is going to sound like tar, but a speaker that is 60-20k Hz +/- 1db will sound much better. The +/- rating is how much the volume of the speaker changes over the range of the frequencies listed. You want the volume to be flat (+/- 0) but that is nearly unachievable, so get close. Keep in mind that human ears can only hear 20-20k Hz, so anything beyond that is useless.

Archived