In-ear headphones

Guest Paul P

Greetings,

For the first time i rode with ear plugs this weekend.  WOW!  I can't believe how much less tired I got.  Most of my rides have

been an hour or less and not much highway riding.  Even at moderate speeds (40 to 50) the plugs really make the ride more enjoyable.

Here is my question:  I read some posts about some in-ear stereo head phones that seal out noise.  I found a pair made by Sure called the EC2.  There is another product out there that is similar.  Does anyone use these things?  Any problem getting a full face helmet on with them?  I ran a search but came up empty...

Thanks for your help

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have tried a couple brands of in ear head phones, and was never extremely satified. It always seemed a little bit of a pain to get my helmet on without knocking them out. It could have been the head phones, or my helmet. I haven't tried since I got the new brain bucket. My bro uses head phones and has no problems, but he has a skinny head. LOL  :laugh:

Guest MinnMarker

Here's my HO on ear phone plugs. ?I use a set from Precision Labs http://www.precisionweb.com/ ?Click on "Monitoring" and look at the Challenger 1. ?Do not click on Challenger. ?For some reason it shows you the Space Shuttle???????

They cost about $150 and you have to order them through a local audiologist or hearing aid shop. ?Best way to find is Yellow Pages and call around. ?They squirt goop in your ear to make a custom mold.

THEY ARE FANTASTIC! ?Listening to tunes is really nice on boring stretches and makes the twisties even better.

Plus factors:

+ They really protect your hearing and reduce fatiuge as you discovered.

+ You can listen to music at a reasonable volume. ?SWEET!

+ They are legal in most states. ?There's a web site somewhere that lists the states but I lost it.

+ You can patch your radar detector (I have an 8500) right into them using a $4 Radio shack splitter. ?It comes through loud and clear over the music!!!

+ No problem with the helmet. They fit inside your ear cavity.

Minus factors:

- You cannot hear the engine very well so you will need to pick shift points some way other than sound. ?I'm OK with this most of the time but sometimes find myself coming out of a corner at 10K rpm, one or two gears too low.

- Concentration (on the road) may be an issue for some riders. ?I have been snow skiing (fast) and mountain biking for 25 years with tunes so I am used to focusing AND listening. ?Be careful at first, especially with any roudy music. ?Handle your bike based on the road, not the beat ?:P

- You cannot hear other stuff (like cars) as well.

I tend to use them only on trips to the twisties, not in town where I use regular foam plugs.

If I lost them tomorrow I would immediately order another pair.

PS: ?You can get a nice Rio500 MP3 player on eBay for about $60. ?ENJOY!

I use custom earplugs from Earmold Design and they are very similar to the ones posted by MinnMarker.  Mine are called musicians earplugs.  They can have different levels of attunation; I have the maximum at 25 db.  Now while mine do not have earphones going directly into them, they do allow a pretty flat frequency response to enter my ear.  That way I hear everything exactly the way I would normally would just at a lower volume.  So I can still hear my communications system and all the sounds my VFR makes which help with shifting points.

Now if you want custom earplugs with built-in headphones, I highly suggest earphones from Etymotic.  They make maybe the best earphone on the market today for music.  (Headphones are another serious hobby of mine  :D )  Although they originally come with generic rubber or foam tips you can have made custom impressions that fit these earphones.

It just depends on what your budget is and how important your hearing is to you.

Thanks for the reply's.  I really do not want to spend 100+ for the

headphones.  The Sure EC's are about 85.  Seems like they may not be usable with a helmet....   If anyone is using these I'd like to hear about.

Thanks again,

Paul

Guest RedDevil

Paul,

You want a set of Koss 'The Plug' earphones and some cheap foam earplugs (I use EAR brand yellow ones). The stock earplug material they come with is crap.

Here's a writeup on the mod that makes them really useable.  :idea:

http://headwize2.powerpill.org/project....prj.htm

(note: the article describes a second stage mod for improving the bass quality - I haven't felt a need to try that one, just the earplug mod.)

I've been using this setup for years now (on my second set of 'phones, but at $12-18 a set, I think I'm getting my money's worth). The surprising thing is the sound quality. For such cheap phones, they sound really full, with rich bass. Still able to hear sirens and horns, which is important.

I use mine with a Creative Nomad II, which is a tiny (smaller than a cigarette pack) MP3/FM player that uses Smart Media cards.

Check 'em out.

Jim <--- rocking AND rolling...

Guest MinnMarker

The Koss modification is good and cheap.  I used it for years.  The problem I had was that they kept falling out at the slightest tug or over time.  The guys I ride with don't stop for ear plug reinstallation  sad.gif   Also, the noise attenuation is not as good as the custom plugs but then you might not want that much attenuation.

Try the Koss mods and see how they work.  You might have "Koss ears."  The custom molds are better IMHO but they are pricy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest VifferMike

If price is no object, the best solution is in-ear isolation earphones. Etymotic Research makes the best on the market: the ER-4 (about $300); they also make the ER-6 (about $130). Shure comes in second with the E-1c, which was initially developed by Shure (based on their phonograph stylus technology) in the mid-1990s as in-ear stage monitors for pro musicians. They effectively replaced stage monitor speakers, which are the speaker units that point directly at performers at the front of a stage to help them hear themselves sing or play. Shure's current top-of-the-line E-5c (about $500) replaced the E-1c a couple of years ago, and they sell the E-2c (about $120) as a cheaper alternative.

All of the above work well for most people with the supplied flanged silicon ear canal inserts. But for some (like myself), those inserts are uncomfortable and don't seal properly (I have an unusually oblong and narrow left ear canal). All of the above can be embedded into custom-moulded ear plugs for folks like myself. An audiologist makes a latex cast of your ear canal (pay no more than $10-$15 for this), which is then used to make the ear plugs with the headphones inserted in the plug.

I personally have a pair of Shure E-2cs with custom-moulded plugs, ordered from this company: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/. All I have to say is this: the sound is so good and the fit so comfortable - even under my helmet and attached to my tank bag-mounted Digitalway MPIO FL-100 digital media player - that they're my earphones of choice no matter what the application.

A note about other in-ear phones: if you can stand them and they'll stay in your ear, the best brands are Koss and Sennheiser. They don't seal out outside noise, however, so with helmet wind noise at speeds over 40 MPH, you'd have to turn them up so high that distortion would result, not to mention gradual hearing loss. They're not worth using on motorcycles, IMHO, for that reason.

• 1 year later...
Guest Peregrinus
<font color='#0000FF'>I use the Sony MDR-EX51LP earbud headphones. ?They work pretty good. ?They do not shut out as much noise as the regular foam earplugs I use, but they do a good enough job that I can enjoy some tunes while I'm slabbin' it. ?They are about $35 at the local Circuit City/Best buy...http://www.sonystyle.com</font>

OK, I'm bummed! I've been planning on using the Sonys for a while now, just got around to loading up my MP3 player and went to take a ride with them today... and I could *not* get them to stay in while putting on my helmet! (A Shoei TZ-R, fits well.)

Any hints, tips, clues, arcane methods? :huh:

Thanks in advance-

Bob

• Forum CEO

Take them back say they dont work, cause well they dont. And get some Entomolic ER6's Best motorcycleing earphones on the market yet!!!

gallery_491_221_4336.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

MP3 RCA Lyra MP3 Pro Player 256m

1 gig expansion Card

Etymotic ER6 isolator earspeakers

Guest Interceptore-Fatale

Hi Gang, :music:

I have to agree w HS re: the Etymotic are the best thus far. I recently got the ER-6i and just returned (last night) from a 1000mi round trip (Saddle Sore 1000) and they worked wonders.

I loaded my GPS with MP3's (almost 2Gigs worth) and listen music all the way. And, when I did not want music the sound isolation was fantastic.

Now, I was a "virgin" with regards of using earplugs or earphones and while it took getting used to putting the earphones they were very confortable that I rode 22 hours straight (just the usual pit stops/gas/bathroom etc) with them and no damage, soreness or anything.

I just can't see riding on any trip longer than 30 mins without them.

By the way, I bought them at Comp-U-Plus for $89.95 (MSRP $129.99 +/-$10.00) + delivery.

Just my 0.02 cents and I hope it helps.

Ride Safe!!!

Guest kwksilver

I agree with everyone.

Take the etymotic. DO NOT go with the better ER4 ones. You will have trouble with a helmet. The Er4 would cost you an eardrum in a crash with helmet impact. I own both and can tell you they both work GREAT. IF you desire noise isolation on the level of a good earplug order the ER4 foam earpieces (just a few bucks) and put them on the ER6 that is THE way to go.

KwKsilver

Being cheap, I took the Koss and put the ear nubs from the Etymotic ER4. Do a search on-line and you can find them sold in 6 packs for around $15-$18. You should be able to find the Koss for less than that. Pull off the end of the Koss, make sure the little tube is still on, and work the ER4 ear plug on that. I can get my helmet on easy, but I usually knock at least one out when I take it off. The plugs do a great job of cutting outside noise. I use them jogging and any time I listen to my iPod.

• Member Contributer

INTERCEPTOR-FATALE

what GPS do you use? Where did you get a 2gig card, and what type of card is it? sorry for all the questions.

Thanks man.

Justcoolen

Guest GonzoVFR

I use the phillips in ear, noise canceling earphones. They cancel out about 50% of outside noise. As for fit they are about as comfortable as any ear plug that I have worn. I wore them for an 11 hour ride without any real discomfort.

The cords on these head phones are protected with a braided nylon casing and are very durable.

The sound quality is not the best, but for the price i am very happy with these head phones and would recomend them to anybody. I was able to find them for 30 dollars from amazon.com., hope this helps some people.

GonzoVFR

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peregrinus

OK... I am not going to use the Sony EX51 earbuds as they come, as it is hard to get the helmet on without dislodging them, and impossible to get it off without pulling at least one out.

The thing is that they fit well within the ear, and I don't think there would be a problem were it not for the "danglers" that project down from the earbuds. (A small tube around the wire, prolly about 3/4 of an inch long.)

Has anyone tried performing "surgery" on these to carefully cut off and remove said tube? It's either that or put these up for sale in the classifieds section, as I ditched the packaging and really can't return them. I'm dithering about the choice... :blink:

Thanks all-

Bob

• Forum CEO

The Er6 I have came with foam isolators too but I found the silicon flanges to be better and more comfortable, they are really soft and plyable. One thing make sure that your ear canal is dry, I went for a ride right after a shower and it gunked up the filter on the speaker, I had to remove and replace it.

OK... I am not going to use the Sony EX51 earbuds as they come, as it is hard to get the helmet on without dislodging them, and impossible to get it off without pulling at least one out.

The thing is that they fit well within the ear, and I don't think there would be a problem were it not for the "danglers" that project down from the earbuds. (A small tube around the wire, prolly about 3/4 of an inch long.)

Bob - Hve you tired putting them in, then wearing a thin silk (or other) balaclava over the top? That should stop them getting dislodged.

Guest Peregrinus
Bob - Hve you tired putting them in, then wearing a thin silk (or other) balaclava over the top? That should stop them getting dislodged.

Yeah, I considered that- but I looked in the mirror when I'd put them in firmly, and the "danglies" were sticking out at such an angle, I think a bandana or somesuch over them would have the same dislodging effect as putting on the helmet, even if they didn't come out.

The only purpose I can think of for the (hard) tubie things is to protect the wire from a sudden sharp kink which could damage it. I dunno, I think maybe I'll just sell them at a low enough price to be a good deal and then mull over the ER6's... I really don't need another pair of good headphones except for riding.

Ah well... :goofy:

Yeah, I considered that- but I looked in the mirror when I'd put them in firmly, and the "danglies" were sticking out at such an angle, I think a bandana or somesuch over them would have the same dislodging effect as putting on the helmet, even if they didn't come out.

The only purpose I can think of for the (hard) tubie things is to protect the wire from a sudden sharp kink which could damage it. I dunno, I think maybe I'll just sell them at a low enough price to be a good deal and then mull over the ER6's... I really don't need another pair of good headphones except for riding.

Ah well... :goofy:

Bob,

I wear the sony's and they give me problems when pulling on my helmet sometimes as well. I also have been thinking of the surgery you were talking about.

I say go for it. :thumbsup: Then let me know how it works. :D

Seriously, if you can't take them back and you are going to take a loss in dumping them you might as well modify them and see if that works. If it does you have a good sounding set of earphones and if it doesn't you are only out the good deal low enough price you are talking about selling them for.

Just remember to post the results of the surgery.

Chris

Archived