In-ear headphones

Guest Paul P

Guest Peregrinus
Bob,

I wear the sony's and they give me problems when pulling on my helmet sometimes as well. I also have been thinking of the surgery you were talking about.

I say go for it. Then let me know how it works.

Seriously, if you can't take them back and you are going to take a loss in dumping them you might as well modify them and see if that works. If it does you have a good sounding set of earphones and if it doesn't you are only out the good deal low enough price you are talking about selling them for.

Just remember to post the results of the surgery.

Chris

Now why didn't *I* think of that??? LOL... :lol:

I'll get right on it, bro'... to get the results, just call my 900 number... :salesman:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use the the shure E3c and the work great for me,  you just have to be patient with finding an insert the works best for you :thumbsup:

+1

The E3c is much smaller outside one's ear canal than most of the other options, so it is very unlikely to interfere with the helmet.

They really do open up a whole new sonic experience. I'd estimate they provide about 25 to 28db NR with the silcone sleaves I'm using (they make a triple-ripple that is supposed to be in the mid-30s), so it's not quite as good as top of the line foam ear plugs for NR purposes on the bike. But the music... mmm... It's especially nice in a quiet room for FULL isolation. You'd be amazed that the normal hum of all the machines and such we surround ourselves with - it's in the low to mid 20dB range. Taking that out is quite noticable and enjoyable when listening to music. I'm liking the new Audioslave, myself.

But, anyway... 20-odd dB is better than none... with no tunes it will be louder than "real" earplugs. Over 30dB would be optimal for NR purposes on a motorcycle. With the E3c and moderate volume from my MP3 player, it is still within the acceptable range of hearing for safe awareness around you. A 30dB NR isolation and higher volume might be a problem, as it would prevent you from hearing some noises lower than the combined 75dB isolation + load.

Guest Peregrinus
Try wetting your ear (q-tip or finger will suffice) once lodged in ear rotate earphone upward so the wire is pointing up then run said wire up & over ear into area between ear & skull(X2 ears) then slide the cinch up so the wire is snug but not tight then slide said skull into said helmet, I am using the yellow foam insert. As you can see in the first pic i does look like the earphone is protruding but it is not as seen in the 2nd pic,    I found after trying all of the medium & soft silicone adapters the yellow worked the best and i went and order more of them as they are disposable, one more thing these are the Shure E2c's

gallery_2503_428_51257.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P6150053.JPG

gallery_2503_428_11110.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P6150056.JPG

Thanks, but this is not the same earbud: I'm talking about the Sony EX51s... and it's not just a wire out of a short right-angled stub, it's a longish right-angled tube around the wire. sad.gif Thus the thought of carefully cutting it off and removing it.

Thanks, but this is not the same earbud: I'm talking about the Sony EX51s... and it's not just a wire out of a short right-angled stub, it's a longish right-angled tube around the wire. sad.gif Thus the thought of carefully cutting it off and removing it.

Paul P was talking about Shure E2c's

+1

The E3c is much smaller outside one's ear canal than most of the other options, so it is very unlikely to interfere with the helmet.

They really do open up a whole new sonic experience.  I'd estimate they provide about 25 to 28db NR with the silcone sleaves I'm using (they make a triple-ripple that is supposed to be in the mid-30s), so it's not quite as good as top of the line foam ear plugs for NR purposes on the bike.  But the music... mmm...  It's especially nice in a quiet room for FULL isolation.  You'd be amazed that the normal hum of all the machines and such we surround ourselves with - it's in the low to mid 20dB range.  Taking that out is quite noticable and enjoyable when listening to music.  I'm liking the new Audioslave, myself.

But, anyway...  20-odd dB is better than none... with no tunes it will be louder than "real" earplugs.  Over 30dB would be optimal for NR purposes on a motorcycle.  With the E3c and moderate volume from my MP3 player, it is still within the acceptable range of hearing for safe awareness around you.  A 30dB NR isolation and higher volume might be a problem, as it would prevent you from hearing some noises lower than the combined 75dB isolation + load.

I use the yellow foam and its great but you have to occasionally replace them as they are disposable, i found the triple flange 1. didn't fit as well as the yellow foam & 2. stuck out too far was getting yanked out of my ear when putting on my helmet

gallery_2503_428_11110.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P6150056.JPG

I wear the sony's and they give me problems when pulling on my helmet sometimes as well.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. sad.gif

I bought a pair of really crappy earphones for $2, just to see how they'd go under the helmet. It was OK putting the helmet on, but when I removed it, it rotated the plugs up a bit jamming them, and that really hurt. :goofy:

Trouble here is that there's only a choice of a couple of brands (the Sony's and I think Philips). I need some decent ones to wire into my Intercom headsets, as my X-Vent doesn't have ear pockets for the headphone speakers to fit in, and they are too tight, killing my ears after an hour. Last time my wife and I went for a ride, we were both practically screaming with pain by the end of the ride, and took the headsets out. I had this mental image of screaming to a halt, ripping my helmet off and throwing it across the road. I've since modified the headset for my helmet, and installed the speakers inside the cheekpads, which is better, but I think they're now too quiet (haven't tried it on the road yet). However, this is a 'no go' for the wife, as her Shoei doesn't have removable lining.

So, if I can get earplugs to fit, and they work, that may be the answer.

• Member Contributer
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the reply's. ?I really do not want to spend 100+ for the

headphones. ?The Sure EC's are about 85. ?Seems like they may not be usable with a helmet.... ? If anyone is using these I'd like to hear about.

Thanks again,

Paul</font>

I have been using the Shure E 2's for a couple of ears now - absolutely love 'em. They fit my ears very well, and only occasionally do I knock one out when putting on my helmet - generally requires a quick re-insert and the second time always does it. I use them with my Ipod on longer rides and they block out as much wind noise as my custom molded plugs (which I use around town and on shorter rides) plus the sound is awesome - much better than the earbuds you get with an Ipod or the stock plugs that come with the typical Walkman-type/basic MP3 unit. I have found them very comfortable and have had them in-ear for 5 or 6 hours (long, hard riding w/ only stops for gas) without any discomfort - but as mentioned, here you have to find the right foam or plastic sleeve (they come with the earphones) for your ear (and ear canal) shape.

Link here: http://www.shure.com/psm/earphones/default.asp

BTW, I bought mine at a local music shop and they were cheaper than most of the websites I checked - the Shures are popular with musicians, which I guess is some kind of endorsement :music: ?

• Member Contributer

Well, on the advice of HS I tried a pair of Etymotic 6i. At first I was disappointed in the bass response, but once they were properly fitted the sound was very nice. The local dealer wanted $189 CDN and wouldn't budge on price so I too my business to eBay (mmmmm... ebay) for $100 USD including shipping. now the long wait. Thanks Slammer for your advice.

• 1 month later...
Guest daddysbike

The Etymotic ER6 are the best. I got them for $89. The $25 sony Bestbuy earphones I was using sounded o.k. but I wanted to get rid of wind/ambient noise. After much debate I got the ER6 and love them. Make sure to read directions and insert into ear by pulling up to open ear canal and insert pushing up. Its amazing, I can't even hear my bike anymore, only music. Between songs I can barley hear a faint wind sound but soooo quiet and less fatigue. Good sound.

Steve

I haven't used anything for music on the road yet... I usually use ear plugs for long rides cus my HJC helmet is kinda noisy.

I have a pair of Shure E3 earphones that I use on-stage and they sound awesome. They cost about $180 and come with half-dozen or so different size ear pieces for a "custom" fit.

I got the cheap Koss phones with my in-ear system and they SUCK BALLZ. Basically, they don't fit in the ear like the Shures do so you cannot hear anything.

Definitely go with Shure... the E2's are only $100, but they're bulkier and might not fit in the ear as well (my bass player has the E2's and complains about them not fitting as well). My rhythm guitarist uses some iPod earphones and likes them pretty well. If you want something that's really going to isolate ambient sound and provide good sound quality, you have to pay for it (at least $100).

• 2 months later...

Flailer here. Long time rider, first time posting.

I too tried the Sony's, at about $50, and was disappointed with the poor sound (road noise) isolation - which of course destroyed the audio quality. I stopped using the Sony's , and went back to EAR brand (yellow foam) ear plugs - doing without music altogether.

Then I found the Shure E3, which have the yellow foam, which does a great job of mimimizing the road noise - And the audio quality is very good. Significantly better audio quality than any other ear-buds I have tried. They appear to produce pretty close to headphone quality sound, when stopped/no background noise.

Now I wear the E3 everytime I ride or fly - even when the MP3 player is off - to cut the noise down to ear-plug level.

Oh yeah - And cause the E3 cut the background noise so well, I can run the MP3 volume so very much lower - SAVING MY HEARING - SO PEOPLE DONT HAVE TO YELL AT ME - and vice-versa

:music:

• Member Contributer
OK, I'm bummed! I've been planning on using the Sonys for a while now, just got around to loading up my MP3 player and went to take a ride with them today... and I could *not* get them to stay in while putting on my helmet! (A Shoei TZ-R, fits well.)

Any hints, tips, clues, arcane methods? :huh:

Thanks in advance-

Bob

Superglue!! :beer:

Guest Peregrinus
Flailer here.  Long time rider, first time posting.

I too tried the Sony's, at about $50, and was disappointed with the poor sound (road noise) isolation - which of course destroyed the audio quality.  I stopped using the Sony's , and went back to EAR brand (yellow foam) ear plugs - doing without music altogether.

Then I found the Shure E3, which have the yellow foam, which does a great job of mimimizing the road noise - And the audio quality is very good.  Significantly better audio quality than any other ear-buds I have tried.  They appear to produce pretty close to headphone quality sound, when stopped/no background noise. 

Now I wear the E3 everytime I ride or fly - even when the MP3 player is off - to cut the noise down to ear-plug level. 

Oh yeah - And cause the E3 cut the background noise so well, I can run the MP3 volume so very much lower - SAVING MY HEARING - SO PEOPLE DONT HAVE TO YELL AT ME - and vice-versa

:music:

What a riot... then again, prolly no coincidence: When a problem has a good solution, it makes sense that different folks eventually find their way to said solution.

My E3C's are on the way; I tried the Etymotics, which seem to work well for a lot of folks, but didn't for me. I noted the posts that folks had replied to with pix of and raves about the Shure E3C- at first I confused them with the E2C, which looks MUCH too big for helmet use- and eventually decided to give them a try, fingers crossed.

I hope that my experience parallels your own, thanks for the post!

Bob

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

If anyone's looking at the Etymotic ER-6i's, I've got a brand new pair that I'll easily part with. They sound incredible, I just don't think I'll use them enough to justify the cost. (admittedly sort of an impusle buy :beer: )

If $75 shipped sounds reasonable, or if you want to make an offer in that neighborhood, PM me.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried the Skull Candy Buds? They have an inline volume control that would be usefull with a Roady. I've also seen them modifed with Eytomic tips. Look decent for the $20-30 price range. Maybe a step above Koss?? I'm just not ready to put out $80 for earplugs.

70726012_a9bb59f479.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

• Member Contributer
Has anyone tried the Skull Candy Buds?  They have an inline volume control that would be usefull with a Roady.  I've also seen them modifed with Eytomic tips.  Look decent for the $20-30 price range.  Maybe a step above Koss??  I'm just not ready to put out $80 for earplugs.

Those look ideal. I'd like to try them as-is. Retailer?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum CEO

The reason I like the ER6 is they stand behind thier product, I tore a silicon sleeve and they replaced it free, they offer replacement parts fairly cheap, ear nubs, filters and such on their website.

The part that works for me is that they fit in your ear canal and dont stick out where they can irritate your ears by brushing up on the foam padding of your helmet, they are safely in the ear canal and out of the way.

Etymotic Research

• 2 months later...

Koss Spark Plugs are the best I've heard yet for making a bass drum or thumping techno backbeat come alive -- cerebum pulsing glory. A great value at $10.

However, clarity leaves something to desired for classical music -- intricate string lines sound muddled. I corrected this by covering the ports with cellophane tape. This killed all the bass, so I used a needle to open up half the ports. Voila! Bass is almost as good as before, and clarity is significantly improved. The right balanced for mixed listening. If you want less bass, open fewer ports.

I might just have the right ears, but the noise isolation is comparable to the ear plugs you can buy from the drug store, which is what I use while riding now. I'll try it out on the Viffer and give an update. Testing my apartment, they perform better than the earplugs I normally ride with, but getting the helmet on with them fitted is tricky -- you have to really splay the cushions and maybe keep a finger on the driver modules.

• Member Contributer
<font color='#000000'>Great! ?The Koss are much less$$. ?I'll give them a try.</font>

I've been using the Koss for three years now. The key is to find the earplugs that work best for you. I use the "Quiet Please!" by Flents. The shape works with my ear canals plus the rebound tension is firm enough to hold them in better than most. Squeeze prior to insertion and hold in place a few seconds while thee foam slowly rebounds and grabs your ear canals, takes a fairly good tug to pull them out.

Has anyone tried the Skull Candy Buds?  They have an inline volume control that would be usefull with a Roady.  I've also seen them modifed with Eytomic tips.  Look decent for the $20-30 price range.  Maybe a step above Koss??  I'm just not ready to put out $80 for earplugs.

Those look like they might be a little too long, and stick out of your ear. I have, as others have mentioned, had trouble getting my helmet over similar buds, and when you try to take the helmet off, they jam into head. The only way I can ride with my current buds is if I wear my "balaclava" over them to hold them in place, which can get very hot in the summer.

• Member Contributer

Has anyone actually purchased the Skull Candy buds? How do they sound? Etymotic 2-flange eartips would likely cut something like 30 decibels and allow these to fit deeply enough not to rub on helmets. So if the buds sound good I'd like to try that combo.

Anyone? Anyone?

(you thought I was gonna say, "Beuller?", didn't ya?)

PS: Can Etymotic ER6 2-flange eartips be purchased locally (Portland, OR), or is ePay the way to go?

Archived