My New Oem Bags

TimC

So I never thought I'd buy the OEM hard bags. Too expensive, would never use them enough to make the purchase worth the expense, was happy enough with my soft bags, didn't know how long I'd keep this bike, etc. Then I had an incident during a road trip where my soft bags slipped backward while riding and my exhausts melted one of the over-the-seat straps. Luckily I stopped in time to keep the bags from coming off AND had extra bungees with me to securely refasten the bags to my bike. I thought I'd try to get the bags repaired this winter or just replace them next season.

I kept an eye out for a nice used set of OEM bags here and occasionally searched eBay for a set to match my red '04, but still never seriously considered buying a set. Then I saw in person how nice the OEM bags are and thought about how often I could have used them this year. I'm planning to keep this bike awhile. I put about $1k in mods into it this year and am now putting about $1k of repairs (normal wear-and-tear parts and routine maintenance) into it now, too, so maybe it was time to upgrade my luggage, too.

Last week a brand new set w/hardware appeared on eBay, with an opening bid price of $599 (plus $45 for shipping) and no reserve. These were in the "Winning Red" of the '05 VFR, but the color is close enough to my "Italian Red" '04 that it wouldn't bother me. I put my bid in on the last day of the auction and was amazed I ended up being the only bidder, so I got them for the above price! I paid that night via PayPal and the seller shipped them the next day. I got them this afternoon and they are beautiful...and are brand-spanking-new-in-the-box!

I also bought (separately) a VERY nice set of bag liners on eBay to go with these, for $50 plus $10 shipping. They should arrive next week. Can't wait for my first road trip in '08 to try these babies out!

BTW, I know David Silver Spares is selling the OEM bags a little cheaper (including overseas shipping from England) but I still feel like I got a rockin' deal on these. Just in case the seller (Mandy) is a member here, many thanks again!!

I know you've all seen them before, but I just had to share a pic of my new bags (well, one of them anyway), so here it is:

gallery_7800_3527_1611721.jpg

Brand new OEM hard bags

Awesome Tim :beer:. You're gonna love them. Just so you know, they work great for running to the grocery store :D, i have no problem getting a weeks worth of groceries them. They are easily one of the best things i've bought for the bike thus far. Enjoy.

DSC03352.jpg

• Member Contributer

Good score Tim......hard luggage is great for lots of things. I kept my GIVIs including the top case on my VFR most all the time.....HANDY................ :thumbsup:

Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to using them a lot this year and beyond.

BTW, Travis, it's YOUR fault I just spent 7 Franklins on this stuff...YOU'RE the person whose bags I mentioned in paragraph 2 above! (Sarcastic tone here:) Thanks a lot, man! :beer:

:P Just kidding, man! I'm glad I got to see the set on your bike. I never would have bought them without seeing in person how great they are. Probably some of the best money I'll ever spend on my VFR.

• Member Contributer

You will find that the liners are well worth the money, when you are on tour, just grab your "suitcases", leave the hards on the bike to stow your lid, and off you go!!

Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to using them a lot this year and beyond.

BTW, Travis, it's YOUR fault I just spent 7 Franklins on this stuff...YOU'RE the person whose bags I mentioned in paragraph 2 above! (Sarcastic tone here:) Thanks a lot, man! :beer:

:P Just kidding, man! I'm glad I got to see the set on your bike. I never would have bought them without seeing in person how great they are. Probably some of the best money I'll ever spend on my VFR.

Haha, glad i could help! :lol:

• Member Contributer

Nice catch there, Tim! Now, see you at TMAC... :goofy:

• Member Contributer
Nice catch there, Tim! Now, see you at TMAC... :goofy:

Gold Wings come with the stuff built in........start taking a look Bent.....you might want one............... wink.gif :thumbsup:

After much debate between side bags or top case, OEM or GIVI, I too purchased the OEM bags from a local dealer. They were haveing an open house and they gave me the bags for $795.00. Installing the bags was no problem. The only issue was where to put my license plate. I ended up cutting the license plate on both sides and mounted it to the new bracket between the two exhaust cans. I now just have to figure out what to do about a plate light.

gallery_10687_2646_361624.jpg

License Plate modification

gallery_10687_2646_2340035.jpg

100_2457.JPG

• Member Contributer

I don't know how I did without mine. Got them a few months ago from a VFRD member. Great for carrying stuff back and forth to work. You just have to learn to put up with your supersport buddies asking you to carry their crap for them all the time. smile.gif

vfr_bags_1b.jpg

Man, you got a great deal! I bid on some on e-bay last month, but was out-bid. The dealer here wants almost a grand for them, so I went w/a zip-off soft bag that was recommended in another forum.

I also removed my rear fender & mounted the license plate between the exhausts. I went to the local auto parts store and bought a pack of 2 single LED white lights for $5. They attach w/strong double-sided tape to the upper corners of the license plate and were easy to wire up. I then remounted the original license plate light behind the plate facing down. It illuminates the single swing arm at night and makes me even more visible from the side.

• Member Contributer
The liners are just a soft nylon insert that makes packing a lot easier. And yes, the hard bags are very waterproof.

I bought Bestem liners through e-bay for my sidebags. No complaints.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-VFR80...emZ150197257843

I still use those zippered plastic bags that come with bedding sheets for use inside my Ventura tailbag to keep stuff dry. Yes, cheap I be whenever possible.

Will you post a pic of your luggage on the bike - I want to see how noticeable (if at all) the color difference is.

Not possible right now...bike is at a local shop for routine maintenance and wiring harness recall. I'll try to remember to post a pic here with the bags installed later on. But I don't think the color difference will be too bad. Even if it isn't real close, knowing what I paid for these will ease my mind, LOL.

The liners are just a soft nylon insert that makes packing a lot easier. And yes, the hard bags are very waterproof.

I bought Bestem liners through e-bay for my sidebags. No complaints.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-VFR80...emZ150197257843

I still use those zippered plastic bags that come with bedding sheets for use inside my Ventura tailbag to keep stuff dry. Yes, cheap I be whenever possible.

That's the exact set of liners I bought. Same seller, too. I bought them so that for overnight trips so I don't have to carry the hard bags into and out of hotels, etc. The liners are easier to carry, esp. since they have shoulder straps, too. Plus as dutchinterceptor said above, it's easier to pack the soft bags, then just pop them into the hard bags.

I routinely carry Ziplock baggies in a couple different sizes, just to pop my keys (with keyless remote), cellphone and pocketknife into them in case it starts raining.

Those look great. Do the Oem bags have the same mounts as the Givi monokey bags like used on the 5th gen set up?

Negative. Here are what the mounts look like:

DSC03389.jpg

DSC03391.jpg

DSC03380.jpg

DSC03377.jpg

DSC03378.jpg

And Tim, as you can see i think i need to follow my own advice and learn that the VFR is not a dirt bike... :rolleyes:

And Tim, as you can see i think i need to follow my own advice and learn that the VFR is not a dirt bike... :beer:

LOL. Hey, winter in Ohio, you take what riding you can get, even if that means the bike gets a little dirty. wink.gif

Mine is a mess right now, too. I'll clean it when I get some time in a couple weeks. Gotta 'winterize' it, too, tho that really only means adding Stabil, putting plywood under the wheels and a hooking up a battery tender. I want it ready to ride on any nicer days we get thru the winter months!

Congrats Tim, you're gonna love'em!! :beer:

Hard bags are definitely the way to go for longer rides, around town, everything actually! Ibought them just for a long trip, and figured I'd pop them on and off as needed. Turns out this year I only took them off once or twice! I just love the reactions I get from the squids, too. Before AND after riding with them... everyone seems to love seeing a "bagger bike" doing a wheelie. :beer: :D

I got the Honda bag liners a while back too, and used them on one trip so far. I got them new on ebay from a dealer in Florida for $40, the only thing I don't like, is you can't pack as much in them as you can if you use space saver bags and the whole interior of the hard bag. The way the hard bags pop off so easy, I don't mind carrying them into and out of places.

2005 Winning Red, on 2005 Winning Red:

OUCH3007.jpg

OUCH3008.jpg

OUCH30092.jpg

OUCH3006.jpg

• Member Contributer
And Tim, as you can see i think i need to follow my own advice and learn that the VFR is not a dirt bike... :beer:

LOL. Hey, winter in Ohio, you take what riding you can get, even if that means the bike gets a little dirty. wink.gif

Mine is a mess right now, too. I'll clean it when I get some time in a couple weeks. Gotta 'winterize' it, too, tho that really only means adding Stabil, putting plywood under the wheels and a hooking up a battery tender. I want it ready to ride on any nicer days we get thru the winter months!

Supposed to be sunny and in the high 50s today...."pack them new bags and, and git' on down here boy"........... :thumbsup: ......... :beer:

Supposed to be sunny and in the high 50s today...."pack them new bags and, and git' on down here boy"........... :thumbsup: ......... :pissed:

Man, that must be nice! It was 26F this morning when i rode out to my parents' house. BRRRRR....

I got the Honda bag liners a while back too, and used them on one trip so far. I got them new on ebay from a dealer in Florida for $40, the only thing I don't like, is you can't pack as much in them as you can if you use space saver bags and the whole interior of the hard bag. The way the hard bags pop off so easy, I don't mind carrying them into and out of places.

This is why I haven't got around to getting liners yet (plus the price!). I've got a few gym bags that are small enough to fit, plus some room left over. But overnight at the kind of motels I stay at (think Motel 6), I'm gonna pop the bags off and carry them inside. I wouldn't want someone busting in to an empty hardbag, thinking there may be something inside, and destroying it. Same for my hard trunk.

A few years back, when I decided I needed to upgrade from my CBR to something more touring oriented, the hard bags were one of the main reasons I chose the VFR, and only looked at used bikes with included bags. A great investment for resale, if you eventually sell the VFR.

Bill

This is why I haven't got around to getting liners yet (plus the price!). I've got a few gym bags that are small enough to fit, plus some room left over. But overnight at the kind of motels I stay at (think Motel 6), I'm gonna pop the bags off and carry them inside. I wouldn't want someone busting in to an empty hardbag, thinking there may be something inside, and destroying it. Same for my hard trunk.

A few years back, when I decided I needed to upgrade from my CBR to something more touring oriented, the hard bags were one of the main reasons I chose the VFR, and only looked at used bikes with included bags. A great investment for resale, if you eventually sell the VFR.

Bill

When I stay at a cheap motel, I don't just bring the bags in with me...

USATOUR2006067.jpg

:D

Archived