Pics From Last Weekends Ride.

• Member Contributer

gallery_10225_2825_89211.jpg

600 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway and 140 miles getting to and from the parkway.

It turned out that my FJ1200 club were planning to have a dirt bike meet in the VA mountains so of course I had to show up. Well since I have no dirt bike I wasn't going to let that keep me down. It ended up that 2 other guys followed my lead and rode street bikes as well. We ended up having a total of 7 guys at the camp. Nothing like fire, guns, and bikes.

I left my house at 6 am last Saturday morning and followed rt221 up to the parkway around Boone. My destination was just off the parkway at MM 30 in VA, a little place called crab tree falls. Great twisty roads all over that area. The lowest temperature I encountered was 27 deg and the high was 60deg. I had on all the gear I owned which is starting to become good enough for any weather.

The first pics are of me catching the sunrise on Grandfather Mountain in NC. I was having a hard time getting these pics do to the fact that I was shivering a little from the cold.

gallery_10225_2825_296455.jpg

DSCF0026.JPG

gallery_10225_2825_175371.jpg

DSCF0027.JPG

Some pics of my beloved VFR. All of these were taken in Crabtree Falls VA at Calvin's cabin, one of my fellow FJ riders. It took me about 7 hours to get there at a sporty pace and 8 hours to get back at a relaxed pace.

gallery_10225_2825_231230.jpg

DSCF0031.JPG

gallery_10225_2825_174164.jpg

DSCF0048.JPG

gallery_10225_2825_207314.jpg

DSCF0069.JPG

gallery_10225_2825_289138.jpg

DSCF0068.JPG

Great pic of a modified FJ1200. Notice the spelling on the sign. :rolleyes:

This bike has the entire rear sub frame and seat cut down shorter to make it a solo ride. It also has the wheels changed so he can run the newest sport bike tires. He was currently using the new Pilot Road 2's which he loved.

gallery_10225_2825_308211.jpg

DSCF0055.JPG

And my favorite one from the weekend. Not sure if anyone can tell but I did another cut down on the windscreen. In the right hand side of the pic amongst the rocks was a stream that was awesome to listen to while falling asleep in the little blue cabin.

gallery_10225_2825_107239.jpg

DSCF0062.JPG

Here is a link to my Google page which shows the rest of the pictures from the rally. http://picasaweb.google.com/smola67/FallVFRBRPWTrip

Sorry I didn't stop and get more pics. It is hard to get off the bike when your in a groove.

Enjoy.

Jim

• Member Contributer
Sweet. I have done the parkway twice and it is 469 miles. Did you do skyline drive as well?

No I got on @ MM 330 in NC and took it to MM 30 in VA. I spent the night in a cabin and came home the same way.

Coldest was 27deg and the high was 60deg. Nothing like leaving at 6:00 in the morning for some clean crisp air.

Sweet. I have done the parkway twice and it is 469 miles. Did you do skyline drive as well?

No I got on @ MM 330 in NC and took it to MM 30 in VA. I spent the night in a cabin and came home the same way.

Coldest was 27deg and the high was 60deg. Nothing like leaving at 6:00 in the morning for some clean crisp air.

Oh, I see my bad. Very nice pics. My favorite part of the parkway is the southern part. MM300-469, :thumbsup: .

I love the BRP.

• Member Contributer

Oh, I see my bad. Very nice pics. My favorite part of the parkway is the southern part. MM300-469, :thumbsup: .

I love the BRP.

Yes i live closer to MM 300 and always go towards 469. Been that way many times so I thought I would try the other. 1000's of places to stop and take pics but I was having to much fun on the bike to stop much.

• Member Contributer

I love the BRP.

Yes i live closer to MM 300 and always go towards 469. Been that way many times so I thought I would try the other. 1000's of places to stop and take pics but I was having to much fun on the bike to stop much.

Great pics - I've done the entire thing from mile zero on Skyline to the very end of the line on the Blue Ridge Parkway (and then back). It was a 5-day journey. Friggin AWESOME roads. From what I recall (it's been 2 years now) there wasn't many fuel stops along the way. Perhaps off the BRP a few miles. Was everything closed up for the season?

• Member Contributer

I love the BRP.

Great pics - I've done the entire thing from mile zero on Skyline to the very end of the line on the Blue Ridge Parkway (and then back). It was a 5-day journey. Friggin AWESOME roads. From what I recall (it's been 2 years now) there wasn't many fuel stops along the way. Perhaps off the BRP a few miles. Was everything closed up for the season?

About 1/2 of the stuff was closed up. I enjoyed the GPS to find me gas and keep me close to the parkway.

• Member Contributer

It is on the "to-do-list" for me and Mrs. skuuter in 08. Years ago I did all but the very last several Northern miles of it, but the wife has only been on about 50 miles of the Southern-most part. We want to start S. travel N., and back for it's entire length................ :thumbsup: ...........great pics, makes me want to leave tomorrow........... :beer:

• Member Contributer
Nice pics. I see some potential winning calander shots in there too :thumbsup:

Thanks. I turned some in so my fingers are crossed.

The ultimate is to,

START ON SKYLINE DRIVE IN VIRGINIA, SHENNADOAH NP. RIDE THE ENTIRE PARKWAY. RIDE THE NEWFOUND GAP ROAD IN THE GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK.

All 3 are connected. We did it north to south and it was one of the best trips ever. We liked it so much we did it south to north the next year.

gallery_7269_3272_22840.jpg

DDE0F186A23511AA5F1B66F617F98.jpg

• Forum CEO
The ultimate is to,

START ON SKYLINE DRIVE IN VIRGINIA, SHENNADOAH NP. RIDE THE ENTIRE PARKWAY. RIDE THE NEWFOUND GAP ROAD IN THE GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK.

All 3 are connected. We did it north to south and it was one of the best trips ever. We liked it so much we did it south to north the next year.

I wonder if you might share a map or way-points for these roads - I intend on attending TMAC this spring again and plan on looping up north a bit - even if I am alone, for a wider assessment of Appalachia, might even go as far north as Maine before heading home. In any case the idea is to ride the whole Appalachian mountain range.

• Member Contributer
The ultimate is to,

Newfound Gap Road, then turn on the Parkway outside Cherokee, NC and go north of Asheville, NC to edge of Va is as far as I've been. Mrs. skuuter from Cherokee up about 50 miles is all. In 08 we plan to ride all the way to Skyline Drive and back one week............ :thumbsup:

The ultimate is to,

I wonder if you might share a map or way-points for these roads - I intend on attending TMAC this spring again and plan on looping up north a bit - even if I am alone, for a wider assessment of Appalachia, might even go as far north as Maine before heading home. In any case the idea is to ride the whole Appalachian mountain range.

I would love to share. I am glad you are coming to t-mac again.

I am not good at the map thing. I have been waiting on my wife to teach me. She has been very busy lately. I will get them for you if you havent found them. They shouldnt be hard to find. I may be able to do part of your trip after t-mac, if thats :thumbsup: .

Archived