Get Them While You Can!

house

I've been waiting about a year for these to be in stock... they are not bad (especially for the price - under $50.) These fit the 6th gen viffers perfectly and hold quite a bit of stuff. They also come with a rain cover. You can find them here I own two and just ordered two more (with colors I wanted the first time but were not available.) They have saddle bags to go with them as well. I think Rivcyko has one as well. Great for commuters as they zip on and off the base (just leave it mounted to your bike) and the pack has built in backpack straps. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

KurantMTB45LARGE.jpg

Anybody got an installed pic?

I liked the looks of the Cortech sport bag until I saw how big it was on the bike... :joystick:

I think Travis has one floating around... but I will snap one of mine before I head home. Look for it later tonight. This bag is smaller than the Cortech as far as width goes. It can also unzip in the middle and get almost twice as big. I was really supprised at how much I liked these bags and how cheap they are. My first one started to come apart at the seams a little... but that was because I stuffed it every day. Now I don't carry as much wink.gif I get my laptop and Dainese jacket liner and Gerbing heated pants in this pack without expanding it for my ride home (the ride to work is in the AM before the sun comes up and it's a bit colder.)

• Member Contributer

Damn, Damn, damn! Would love to get a few. Quick,.....everyone buy huggers. LOL.

gallery_2922_262_2442443.jpg

IMG_0076.JPG

gallery_2922_262_144751.jpg

100_3225.JPG Side tags removed

gallery_2922_262_407399.jpg

100_3224.JPG Better pic

I LOVE mine. Bout time they got more. They are awesome on Kanadian Ken's mounts, too.....................

They zip off and have back pack straps on them. I love these tings. Beat the hell out of mine.

gallery_2922_262_407399.jpg

100_3224.JPG Better pic

Still too big for my liking.

I'd buy a bag that has the EXL features in a package just a little bigger than my ICON tankbag:

CBR2007001.jpg

killboyshot.jpg

That bag is zip-tied to my (never used) passenger seat, I would love to be able to zip it off and take it with me, while fitting my coffee thermos and lunch for work in it.

I've ridden with mine packed to the gills with two laptops and abunch of IT tools and a power drill and clothes. When you expand it, it comes up to the back of my neck... and I'm 6'2". Still, I never even know it's there until I hit a stoplight and lean all the way back... then I feel my back protector rub against it sometimes. I whip in and out of cars and never felt it once... no matter how full it was. Sometimes in 30 + mph winds, I feel like the pack and I catch the wind and it pushes the bike around a little... but that's only when the wind is perpendicular to me. Honesly, I forget it's there all the time... I could never say that for a tank pak... and I never have to move anything to gas up :thumbsup:

I was once a hard core tank bag guy... but now that I have tried tailpacks, I'll never go back. These are so cheap that most folks can try them with little risk. Heck, if you hated it, you can probably sell it on ebay. Motodirect was out of them for over a year.... I emailed them each month to ask when they would be in. Every month I was told either 2 to 3 weeks or 7 to 8 weeks. I was so suprised when they finally got them in that I wanted to let you guys know. They list these on ebay and I imagine they will sell out again at some point. This might not be the right thing for everyone out there... but many will dig it. I don't work for them or get any kickbacks from them... and they really tried my patience getting these in, but I don't want those considering tail packs to miss a good deal. Check out the pics... maybe they will help folks make a decision if this is for them or not...

Regular

tp11.jpg

Regular

tp12.jpg

Expanded

tp3.jpg

Expanded

tp4.jpg

Expanded

tp5.jpg

Hand not included

tp6.jpg

Hand not included

tp7.jpg

Just the mount

tp8.jpg

Just the mount

tp9.jpg

Backpack Mode

tp10.jpg

Still too big for my liking.

I'd buy a bag that has the EXL features in a package just a little bigger than my ICON tankbag:

That bag is zip-tied to my (never used) passenger seat, I would love to be able to zip it off and take it with me, while fitting my coffee thermos and lunch for work in it.

Hey Seb... they have a smaller version, but I think it will still be too big for your liking. It's 23L and does not zip off (man, I wish more luggage manufacturers would go with the zip off mounts.)

KurantMTB23LARGE.jpg

If it were this big, I could dig it.

EXL-nonXLbag.jpg

With the shape of the top half, of course.

Have you checked out the Teabags? Neat suction cup mount to keep your cowl on...

shuttle_01.gif

shuttle_03.gif

shuttle_05.gif

And a Slightly Bigger model

vpack_01.gif

They cost a bit more... but they sure look good smile.gif My laptop won't fit in those <_<

• Member Contributer
Gotta ask: Does this tail bag have Velcro'd flaps for underseat fastening, ala Luggage Locker? That's what it looks like in a couple of the pix. I'd just like to know before I order one, which I might just do tonight.

Nope. They have 4 bungies, (from each lower corner), with plastic hooks, on them.

I made a fiberglass, "base plate", for mine. (As the corners would curl under the Givi mount, making it hard to unzip, to remove). After that, I cut a .04" piece of alminum, to the base shape of the bag. I use it as a kickstand/centerstand base. Works great in grass and hilly areas. When I'm done with it, I just slip it into the, "Zip off area", so I always have it. I put mine on the Givi rack, so I can throw a pillion on at any time, and put the seat cowl in it.

Gotta ask: Does this tail bag have Velcro'd flaps for underseat fastening, ala Luggage Locker? That's what it looks like in a couple of the pix. I'd just like to know before I order one, which I might just do tonight.

I have the smaller 33 liter tailbag (the more floppy, unstreamlined one) and yes, it has a big, wide, fairly long velrco strap underneath. And lots of built-in bungees with pastic hooks and stuff. Pretty much a univeral tiedown system, and every bike and exhaust rig and seat and undertail is gonna be different. It's a great little overnight tailbag, comes with a rain cover, but I've never had to use it for this item

I also have the expandable 32 liter mag tankbag. I love it, as it holds a little (smushes down real good) or a lot (sits up pretty high, packed). It comes with a decent rain cover that work well.

The quality of this stuff is very good, regardless of price. I also have a full Nelson Rigg sport tailbag/small sidebag setup, and it's not any better, qualitywise, than this cheapo EXL stuff.

If you're looking for cheap luggage, EXL is okay by me.

Nice bags, especially for the price.

I prefer to travel as light as possible, and for that, I like this AXIO bag- I thinbk it matches the look of the bike rather well, too.

On and off in seconds with the Velcro system it's equipped with.

gallery_12595_3438_23973.jpg

(Yeah, that's an A* sticker on there, but it's an Axio bag.)

• Member Contributer
Any body know how well the side bags work. Considering the heat from the high mount exhaust, do they have some kind of heat protechtion from melting. those stock cans get pretty hot and with no wind flow if covered by the exhaust you would think would melt the bags..

From the MotoDirect website:

THESE BAGS ARE LOADED WITH FEATURES:

Brand new in the Box with Tags and Never Used! No Defects, rejects, or seconds!

FULL 2 YEAR WARRANTY AND 105 DAY 105% MONEY BACK SATISFACTION GUARANTEE.!

Ultra durable ripstop 600 Denier Nylon construction.

PVC coated for water and stain resistance.

Dimensions for each bag: 18"L x 7"W (expands to 10") x 11"H. (Total of 33 Liters of storage capacity per bag. Grand total of 66 Liter Capacity)

2 BIG outside pockets on each bag for easy access to your personals.

Bags can store as much as 33 Liters of space each!

Accomodates bikes with high exhaust systems.

Bags securely mount using Velcro and Quick-Release straps.

Heat-Resistant under panels.

Can adapt to our MTB-23 or MTB-45 Tailbags for the ultimate touring package. Please view our other listing to see them.

Rigid side walls to maintain its shape.

No-slip and non-scratch inside wall to protect the finish of your bike and to keep the bags in place.

Long, highly reflective zipper pull tabs.

Fully lined interior.

Ergonomic rubber carrying handle.

Comes with FREE 100% waterproof rain cover.

The bags detach and Come with FREE adjustable shoulder straps so you can use either bag as a carry bag.

Designed to fit virtually any bike on the market. NOTE: You may have to elocate turn signals on a few models.

So they apparently have heat resistant underpanels. What 6th gen owners need is heat resistant SIDE panels! And yes, I've melted a couple sets of saddlebags. sad.gif

• Member Contributer

In before the lock! :salesman:

Order Date: 10/31/07

Payment By: XXXX

Confirmation No: 24982768F

Shipment Tracking:

Moto-DirectUSA Items

1 EXL $99 MOTORCYCLE EXPANDABLE TAIL BAG TOURING LUGGAGE (Black) @ $47.95 = $47.95

Sub-Total: $47.95

Shipping: $7.95 (UPS Ground (1-4 Bus Days))

Sales Tax: $0.00

Moto-DirectUSA Total: $55.90

Besides the price, I like the design and method of attachment. Just as with tank bags when touring, I believe bigger is better especially if it's expandable. I just hope the zippers are robust enough.

OK, here are some things I noticed about the newer packs and some requested mounting pics. First, the side pockets are bigger and deeper (cool.) Next, the mounting zipper no longer has a pull... you can get them all over... but why get rid of it (the bungie channels are still there... just no bungies?) Third, no bungie cords built in... not a big deal on a VFR, but a pain on other bikes. Although you could get better bungies, it was nice to have them. Finally, the zippers are smaller in gauge and not as smooth. Check the pics. These are still good packs for the money... but why not keep the good features? They DID change the logos to be reflective, which is why I left the one on the back of the pack on (I usually rip them all off.)

New Pak

newpak1.jpg

Reflective Logo

newpak2.jpg

New Zipper (where's the pull?)

newpak4.jpg

Another zipper shot... the handle is nicer

newpak5.jpg

VFR Mount

newpak6.jpg

Another Shot

newpak7.jpg

FYI: free shipping over $100 as well, so i went ahead and picked up the saddlebags as well smile.gif . i'll let everyone know about the quality, fit, etc of the saddlebags once i receive them. i sure they will be on par with the tail bag.

Moto-DirectUSA Items

1 EXL $99 MOTORCYCLE EXPANDABLE TAIL BAG TOURING LUGGAGE (Black) @ $47.95 = $47.95

1 EXL $149 MOTORCYCLE EXPANDABLE SADDLEBAG TOURING LUGGAGE (Black) @ $67.95 = $67.95

Sub-Total: $115.90

Shipping: $0.00 (UPS Ground (1-4 Bus Days))

Sales Tax: $0.00

Moto-DirectUSA Total: $115.90

Store Credit: -$0.00

TOTAL DUE: $115.90

• Member Contributer

Just ordered this one from New Enough closeout sale. $38 seemed like a go price. Have used a mag mount expandable tank bag for the last two

seasons but always liked the idea of putting my gear behind me, especially when it comes time to fuel up.

gallery_6587_1254_208.jpg

CL100_06[1].jpg Nelson Riggs rear bag

I like the way Darthbling fit his cortech and am planning to do a similar method. I have Nelson Riggs full saddle bags, which encorp's plastic insert

clips for tie down.

• Member Contributer

Got them! Gonna use my old base, from my tailpack, so I don't have to deal with the straps that came with the new one. (Sure I can make it work, but I already have a system).

Question is: Where should I mount the saddle bags? Granted, long trips are almost Nill............That aside where should I mount them. I figured on the side of the tail-rack, due to the fact of not hiding the bike, or having them in pillion's way. I understand that it's gonna get heavy, but they would only stay attached for, "E-way" miles. (Come off for twisties).

100_4141.jpg

100_4142.jpg

100_4143.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics. Took the EXL badges off the sides,....First thing. LOL.

• Member Contributer

K. Got it. As they will only be temporary. For transpo,. this is what I came up with.

100_4153.jpg

100_4152.jpg

100_4150.jpg

100_4149.jpg

100_4146.jpg

100_4145.jpg

100_4144.jpg

• Member Contributer
Rivcyko, your side bags and even the top bags look... well, kind of floppy. Do they have some type of inside support? I've got Nelson-Rigg side bags and they have inserts that make them really solid. I like the EXL tailpack but it's looking a little flacid in your pics.

Fear not! For they were just stuffed in the box, and haven't remembered there shape yet. LOL. The saddle bags do have inserts (Although the inserts don't cover the expandable section.

100_4146.jpg

The tailbag has a sewn in reinforcement. I Added one, due to the fact that the inside mesh pouch, is sewn on at the top. I keep my bungee net in it, and it has a tendency to pull the top down. So I added a chunk of truck mud flap, to keep it, "Shaped". Index finger pointing to mudflap, behind mesh pouch.

100_4174.jpg

You see the shape of the old one. The new one will catch-up long before the nylon fades, lol.

100_4172.jpg

The previous pics, I just had the new bag sitt'n on the old bag base. Due to the fact of them changing the zipper's size, I had to swap bases. D-oh! I WAS hoping to just swap bags. Oh well. Here's a pic of it ACTUALLY attached. It still needs training to get into shape

100_4173.jpg

And a pic of the fiberglass base, I made for it. (Made that a while ago).

100_4154.jpg

OK everybody... I hope I didn't steer you wrong, but I have an issue with the new bags. The old bags had really great zippers with large teeth, the new bags have zippers with much smaller teeth. I didn't pay much attention to it until today. I zipped up the bag as usual, and it's always dark when I leave the house and for the whole ride to work. So I didn't notice the fact that the zipper did not engage all the way on one of the corners. I had a spirited ride on the way in, so the bag probably shifted back and forth a bit. Since the zipper was not engaged on the one corner, the bag worked it's way loose... all the way loose. For whatever reason, I got lucky - the bag stayed on. When I got to work and dismounted, my boot dragged a bit on the top of the bag (this happens alot since the accident as I can't put all my weight on the bad knee.) Anyway, when my foot brushed the bag, IT FELL OFF INTO THE PARKING LOT!!! (With my brand new laptop in it.) Luckily, there were clothes in the bag and they broke the fall, and I keep the laptop in a padded sleeve. Still, if that had happeded in a corner, I would still be looking for my laptop.

I have gone back to the first gen EXL tailpack and will call Motodirect tomorrow - the bags are under warranty for two years. Really, this is a design flaw as the new zipper is inadequate, so I don't know what they can do to help me. I will keep using my 1st gen EXL bag, they are solid; but wanted you guys and girls to know before you spent money on them. Maybe I just have a lemon, but I thought you should know.

Thinkin of getting a Givi topcase... they lock and are waterproof. I do like the look of the EXL bag and it's very flexible. I also have a Givi speedpack... but it is really big and I have not used it yet. Shame about the new EXL bags... they are just what I needed and really cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I must be the worlds largest idiot....but I can't for the life of me figure out how to attach this to my bike. I have a 2002 with the stock seat. If I try it with the cowl on, there is no way it will work. Without the cowl it is close, but strapping it under the seat pulls the D-rings down until they would be pinned between the seat and the rear fairing, causing the seat not to sit flat. If I don't pull it that tight it wobbles all around.

Anyone got any ideas for a stock seat installation?

• Member Contributer

I guess I'm confused (when ain't I?). I thought the whole point of these was to mount them to the seat and NOT the bike. That's how I mounted my previous "luggage" (see pic) and appreciated the fact that I didn't have to spend a ton of time removing bags to get to something under the seat. Plus it takes about :30secs to attach/take off unlike the speed triple guy's setup.

IMG_9271.jpg

I just got mine today after chatting with Rivcyko on the phone the other night. They look great and seem to be mounted pretty solid. They're a lot more expandable than I expected too. I only have the "buckled" strap under the seat and the two velcro straps on top. I don't think all of that will fit under the seat. FWIW, I have a Sargent on mine. I can see you guys having problems with the lower elastic straps; mine are wrapped around my Givi rack and through the rear passenger pegs.

gallery_3392_431_1143730.jpg

Early Christmas present

Of course, I haven't had them out on a speed test yet so I'll keep your posts in mind first time I do. Truth of the matter is I'll probably only really use them 4 or 5 times a year so I'm sure they'll work fine for my purposes.

Just out of curiosity, have any of you had any issues with them being melted by your exhaust?

Archived