Get Them While You Can!

house

Ken... I already have a mount from you... just have not bought the case yet (but I did buy the monolock and monokey plates.) I plan to buy a small and large Givi down the road.

As for the mounting method... I posted pics a while back, but here they are again. You want to use one of the included straps for the front and the small strap for the back.... but NOT the bungee cords. Mine have been mounted this way on my CBR and VFR for quite some time with no issues.

newpak7.jpg

newpak6.jpg

• Member Contributer

You owe me nothing. Hell, after the tail paint, the paint you sent, and being one of my biggest advocates,...... I would say I owe you.

As for the part, that goes to your back, were you looking to just keep the bag popped up, or speaking of a backrest?

Will,

I think the Sargent seat has more room under it....my stock seat won't latch if the straps and D rings are under(at least not the first couple times I tried). Part of the problem is I worry about the D-rings rubbing on the fairing between the seat and the fairing, and rubbing the paint off.

I did take this opportunity to remove the grab rails and install the cowl...I love that look.

• Member Contributer
Will,

I think the Sargent seat has more room under it....my stock seat won't latch if the straps and D rings are under(at least not the first couple times I tried). Part of the problem is I worry about the D-rings rubbing on the fairing between the seat and the fairing, and rubbing the paint off.

I did take this opportunity to remove the grab rails and install the cowl...I love that look.

Gotta pic of how far back you have it, on the seat?

Will,

hmmm... seems I used mine with a stock seat for a little while... but that was a year and a trip to the ICU ago smile.gif I think it would work... but I honestly cannot remember. I can grab my stocker later this week and give it a try if you like... with pics. Just let me know. I dig the no rails and cowl too, but have been taking the wife through the GA mountains lately, so the rails gotta stay for a bit. <_<

I got it to work with a bit more finagling, a couple extra vocabulary enhancing words, and being satisfied with "pretty good" as opposed to "perfect".

I am thinking of making a base similar to what trav did, but either bolting it to the grab handles, or finding a more custom seat fit using that base (to retain easy seat removal).

I agree that the base>bag zipper is way too small...just seems out of place it is so small, and I worry about it being strong enough. I noticed the description also claims it comes with Bungees, which it did not.

• Member Contributer
I got it to work with a bit more finagling, a couple extra vocabulary enhancing words, and being satisfied with "pretty good" as opposed to "perfect".

I am thinking of making a base similar to what trav did, but either bolting it to the grab handles, or finding a more custom seat fit using that base (to retain easy seat removal).

I agree that the base>bag zipper is way too small...just seems out of place it is so small, and I worry about it being strong enough. I noticed the description also claims it comes with Bungees, which it did not.

You're welcome to give me a buzz, if you wish. I could make one for you, as I did for House, depending on what you have in mind. 734-649-9242. Be more than happy to banter with 'ya, as to what you have in mind.

:joystick: :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well just great, something else I want now. THANKS HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! +1.gif :lol:

My current bag is fine

My current bag is fine

My current bag is fine

Take your stock pipe, and coat it with a film of oil, then wrap it in Saran Wrap...this should seal it from Rust/Corrosion

Thanks!!!

:goofy:

Question for you... are you happy with them? I powdercoated my stock cans and was happy till I heard lasers. Now I want a set... but I think I may have them jet-coated to match all the black I dkd on the bike. Soooo, I wanna be sure I know they are worth it before I buy a set and spend the cash to coat them. Also, now I wonder how that would hold up... where is Jeremy when you need him :P

• Member Contributer
Take your stock pipe, and coat it with a film of oil, then wrap it in Saran Wrap...this should seal it from Rust/Corrosion

Thanks!!!

:goofy:

Question for you... are you happy with them? I powdercoated my stock cans and was happy till I heard lasers. Now I want a set... but I think I may have them jet-coated to match all the black I dkd on the bike. Soooo, I wanna be sure I know they are worth it before I buy a set and spend the cash to coat them. Also, now I wonder how that would hold up... where is Jeremy when you need him :P

I love mine! I love the way they sound which was the driving force behind my choice of pipes. They are loud and deep but not super loud, I can hear my Ipod just fine. I also like the way they look! Everyone else seems to also because they seem to draw a crowd when I go places. Sportsbike riders and Harley riders alike seem to flock to them. Too bad I'm not single! :lol: I also knew when I bought them that I would never buy hard bags.. I think hard bags would cover them up too much if you can even do that.

They are hard to line up though - I personally never touched them but my husband couldn't get them lined up. HOWEVER, when the mechanic installed my LED brake lights he lined them up for me so you could see the brake lights better!! :thumbsup: Go Bryan!! WOOT!!!

I've had the EXL tailbag for 3 months now. Here's what happened: Day 2- rain fly flew off (it is not attached in any way to the tailbag), Yesterday-extremely tiny zipper that holds the bag to the base broke. It is now completely unusable as a tailbag.

The zippers they put of the bag are all fairly stout---except for the most important one that holds the bag onto the base. It looks like it came off of a toddler's jacket. What a bad design.

I've had the EXL tailbag for 3 months now. Here's what happened: Day 2- rain fly flew off (it is not attached in any way to the tailbag), Yesterday-extremely tiny zipper that holds the bag to the base broke. It is now completely unusable as a tailbag.

The zippers they put of the bag are all fairly stout---except for the most important one that holds the bag onto the base. It looks like it came off of a toddler's jacket. What a bad design.

I noticed the same thing on the second gen bags... the first gen bags had much better zippers. Earlier, i called and complained. Maybe they will give you a refund!

• Member Contributer

Nice thread Will. I'll look into some of this stuff.

Apparently, you aren't riding enough....your garage is entirely too neat! J / K.

Look forward to seeing you next time. :thumbsup:

Got mine in but will be returning it sad.gif It fits somewhat ok but I'd have to go through some effort to keep the bottom part from scratching up the paint.

I think I'll be going the ventura route. Quick on / off and easy to move from bike to bike.

I have ventura packs... they are sweet, but I liked the EXL better for daily use. the second gen packs do not have the same quality zipper as the first gen packs.... maybe you can get a refund or better pack (if they fixed the zippers.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have the large one.... Zippers are cheap but I'm not having any issues with the whole setup. Just have to be careful...

On a side note I will be getting "aftermarket" zippers installed if these go south... a nice big plastic zipper would be perfect for the base of the bag.

EDIT: Also.. have had the base on the bike for a couple of months now and have noted that it has stretched out nicely making it a lot easier to get on and off of my stock seat..

• 2 weeks later...

Just received mine today. These look like a great idea, and I was waiting to get it.

Unfortunately, my lap top will not fit in it. It goes in and sits ok in the front, but it will not sit in the bottom at the rear; therefore, I can't use it and will have to return it. I can't believe they didn't make it big enough for a standard size lap top.

I also had a hard time getting the straps to fit under the stock seat...looks like it may be easier on the aftermarket seats, however (from the pics, at least).

Just thought I'd let everyone know in case they need to carry a laptop.

I guess I'll have to go the top case route...

• Member Contributer
Just received mine today. These look like a great idea, and I was waiting to get it.

Unfortunately, my lap top will not fit in it. It goes in and sits ok in the front, but it will not sit in the bottom at the rear; therefore, I can't use it and will have to return it. I can't believe they didn't make it big enough for a standard size lap top.

I also had a hard time getting the straps to fit under the stock seat...looks like it may be easier on the aftermarket seats, however (from the pics, at least).

Just thought I'd let everyone know in case they need to carry a laptop.

I guess I'll have to go the top case route...

Laptops keep gett'n bigger. Define dimensions, please.

This is my older one (10.25" x 12.25"). It will definitely not fit.

My newer one is at the office, so I don't have exact diminsions for it. It's a wide-screen, so it's longer and not as wide.

It may have a better chance of fitting in the bag than the old one.

Wish I'd read the rest of the posts before I ordered. I worked and was able to get the stock seat to latch, but didn't like it, as the mechanism was under stress (had to push down on the back of the seat to get it to unlatch) and hard parts of the buckles were rubbing on plastic and paint. I can't stand that, so I'll have to go another route. Anyone interested in a bag??? :salesman:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey VFRoj - did you get the larger tail pack or the smaller one? Which version were you having trouble with?

I'm thinking about one of these too. Do you need any tail mount - or does that base just slip over the stock seat?

Good info - thanks,

HJ

I finally built my own bracket to mount mine on. I still need to add a couple finishing touches, but it works very well....and I can use the cowl, plus get under the seat without any problems:

tailbag_rack_for_vfr_001.jpg

Mounted....looks lopsided because bike is on side stand, and the bag leans a little left because of it(bag has gear in it):

tailbag_rack_for_vfr_012.jpg

This part is what needs finishing....gotta paint it still....but this is how it comes off easily:

tailbag_rack_for_vfr_013.jpg

And because I made it from a server door...I added some nerdyness:

tailbag_rack_for_vfr_007.jpg

Man, that is a sweet setup! My laptop fits fine, but I have to angle it when I put it in or take it out. 9x13 are the dimensions on my laptop.

I had my tailbag 1 week and the rain fly flew off (it's not attached to the bag). After 1 month, the tiny base zipper broke. Fortunately, the bag has backpack straps and I was able to get my gear home from work. It's been taking up space in my garage for 6 months now. I'm going to take it to 'Tactical Tailor' and have a larger and more dependable zipper placed on it.

I really like the hard mount that you made for the EXL. Any directions on how to make one myself?

Thanks! For the record, I rarely remove the bag....so I haven't had an issue with the zippers. I can see how they would be an issue if you frequently use them. I am hoping the rack takes some of the stress off anyway.

Amazes me that the thing is nearly full....of course the day I take the Rainsuit or Sweatshirt and Winter gloves out it will begin sleeting in buckets or something...

Archived