Rain Rain Go Away.....or At Least Stay Out Of My Pants

Tightwad

Today was the first day I intentionally rode in the rain to work. I have been caught in the rain coming home before. I already knew that 1 pair of my gloves had a dye issue, and would bleed when wet, so i avoided them.

Current Gear Review:

Currently I own-

• MotoGP Mesh/Textile Jacket w/water resistant liner
  • MotoGP textile Overpants w/quilted liner
  • Leather/Mesh gloves with Carbon Fiber knuckle protection
  • Triump Boots passed down from Baileyrock to Dutch to me.
  • Leather MotoGP jacket that zippers to pants(not used when raining), with quilted Liner

The MotoGP jacket w/liner installed was surprisingly water-resistant. I didn't get wet anywhere it was covering. the water-resistant liner is just a thin rubberized nylon material, but it works. It also blocks the wind, which in 49 degree rainy weather is very nice.

The MotoGP pants are water-resistant unless the water is pushed against them....like where your butt contacts the seat. My butt and the back of my knees got wet this way.

The gloves offered NO protection from the wet, as I expected. They also let water into the sleeves of my jacket, so my cuffs on my shirt got wet. My hands were freezing.

The Boots were waterproof except the section across the top of the foot. They did keep my feet warm, but being wet would have leeched that warmth out soon enough.

Suggestions needed:

So I know I need new gear, the question is what to buy. Here are my needs:

• I need to be able to wear office clothes under the gear, if at all possible.
  • I need to be able to use the gear for other rides, not just commuting(can't afford to buy too many different options)
  • I would like max protection available, while being waterproof as possible.
  • I need to be warm, as i plan to ride through the winter. Being in Texas that means protection to 35 degrees or so, colder occasionally, but if there is a chance of ice/snow I won't ride.

Currently I only own a Tank bag....should I plan to get a Top Case, side Cases, or tailbag/saddlebags? With extra gear comes extra storage needs.

Should I just get a rain suit and winter gloves?

What is the best thing for keeping ones neck warm/dry?

• Member Contributer

I made a trip down to Santa Rosa CA last weekend (about 550 miles from here), the weather guessers were wrong and the predicted clouds turned out to be rain. I was in various types of precipitation from sprinkles to heavy rain for almost 5 hours of the ride and I was amazed at the effectiveness of my gear. I had Alpinestars boots (with Goretex), Tourmaster "Caliber" Pants with liner, and a Joe Rocket "Ballistic" 3/4 length jacket. Like you I found my gloves were not up to the task but it was only my hands that suffered, the cuffs were snug enough to prevent water from coming up my sleeves.

I had normal clothes on underneath, and a wool turtle neck sweather kept my neck warm. I have never ridden with a full rainsuit but I doubt I'd like it much. I have a pair of warmer Bates deerskin gloves I will try next time, supposedly the water will not harm them and they are much warmer than summer gloves, I'm still trying to get over the lack off feel the thicker gloves provide

When I pulled off the gear that evening I was exhausted and cold but surprisingly dry. I will add that the wetness on that trip was not continuous so I dried out a bit between each rain spell which helped but all-in-all the gear performed very well. (dryness was then remedied by a trip to the Aleworks downtown! wink.gif)

Aerostitch! I'd own one if I could afford one... :rolleyes:

edit: Maybe a First Gear 2-piece?

Yeah...forgot this part.....limited budget, which pushes me towards Frog Toggs(never used em tho), but an Olympia Suit may be in mind.

You can buy a rain suit from Nelson Rigg or other like place for about 30 bucks. My nelson rigg two piece is completely waterproof. The pants fit over my over other gear fine but depending on how bulky your jacket is you may want to size up by one or two. Some roll up and zip into a small package that would likely fit in your tankbag.

Gloves aren't waterproof. A glove that is waterproof can't breath and would be very uncomfortable. The best option is either an Aerostitch like 3 digit mitten (the name escapes me) or two grocery bags over your gloves. Seriously. Handguards would make a difference but I've never seen them on a VFR.

Hardbags are something that I will never do without again.

Suggestions needed:

I agree with Seb -- 'Stich would seem to fit your needs perfectly. However, it's a pricey option if you just need occasional rain protection, or can't afford to buy a new riding suit.

I'd seriously consider a First Gear rain suit. I have the FG Rainman rain suit, and it has provided me with literally thousands of miles of excellent protection in the rain. (See it here). I paid about $110 for the whole suit at a dealer years ago -- looks like they are about the same online now. The jacket and pants pack in integrated stuff sacks, and pack relatively small. I stash them in the lower compartment of my tank bag. They have never failed to keep me dry. Also have a nice stand-up collar with soft lining that will keep your neck warm and dry.

My only complaint is that the arms flap some in the wind at high speeds -- would like to see a velcro adjuster of some sort on the upper arms. But that is a minor complaint.

Avoid the cheap rain suits. In my experience, they just won't last. If you just want it for occasional use, well, that's your call. But remember that you usually find out how cheap they are when you need them most. sad.gif

I like my leathers, but when/if it comes time to replace them, I'll be thinking hard about a 'Stich to make my commute easier.

• Member Contributer

Olympia Phantom 1pc. suit.....1/2 price of an Aerostitch and works great for every occasion............ :thumbsup:

Olympia Phantom 1pc. suit.....1/2 price of an Aerostitch and works great for every occasion............ :thumbsup:

It is your glowing review that has me considering a complete all-weather suit. I just hate to feel I wasted the money spent thus far for other gear, especially when the accountant does her job and reviews my spending.

• Member Contributer

It is your glowing review that has me considering a complete all-weather suit. I just hate to feel I wasted the money spent thus far for other gear, especially when the accountant does her job and reviews my spending.

I know the feeling....I yard-saled and donated some "old" gear lately...............I also bought the AST Olympia jacket (basically the top half of a Phantom), and we've ordered a jacket for my wife. Pants are ordered also for both of us. I've really liked the HI-VIZ Olympia stuff. Hit the road and adjust to fit whatever weather situation you encounter................... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I tried on that Olympia Suit the other day at Moto-Liberty and was very impressed with the design even if the velcro was a bit cumbersome. The suit would have been perfect for me but it just didn't fit me as well as I'd hoped. (Stomps away to look for custom option)

I've done the Frog Togs and they were very comfortable and packed really small but sustained speeds over 70 seemed to negate their waterproofing abilities.

I did the 1 piece Motoboss suit from Cycle Gear and it leaked something terrible at the crotch. Typical vinyl material that wouldn't breathe at all. 80 degree rain rides were like a sauna and since I bought the biggest size to fit over my gear it flapped horribly at speed.

• Member Contributer
I tried on that Olympia Suit the other day at Moto-Liberty and was very impressed with the design even if the velcro was a bit cumbersome. The suit would have been perfect for me but it just didn't fit me as well as I'd hoped. (Stomps away to look for custom option)

I've done the Frog Togs and they were very comfortable and packed really small but sustained speeds over 70 seemed to negate their waterproofing abilities.

I did the 1 piece Motoboss suit from Cycle Gear and it leaked something terrible at the crotch. Typical vinyl material that wouldn't breathe at all. 80 degree rain rides were like a sauna and since I bought the biggest size to fit over my gear it flapped horribly at speed.

Mine fits a little loose/ long, but the "loose" feels good in hot weather for the cooling air space with the vents open. Fits snuggly with the liner in. Great stuff, but obviously not "custom-fitted"............. :thumbsup:

Aerostitch! I'd own one if I could afford one... :pissed:

Seb just wants to look as good as me in my Aerostitch Roadcrafter....

164140ce.jpg

Photo credit: SEBSPEED

Seriously, the Roadcrafter makes motorcycling a truly year-round hobby. Rarely does the weather decide if I am going to ride my motorcycle. Snow and ice on the road surface are about the only things that stop me now.

I do ride down into the 'teens and even the occassional single digit. My commute is six miles at above highway speeds. But I do ride for pleasure in the winter too. Much to my wife's dismay, I will often seek out a "miserable" riding day. I love being the only motorcyclist on the road.

For neck protection I wear a Columbia fleece with a high zip up collar. This is good down into the 20's. Beyond that I use an Aerostitch "wind triangle".

I have ridden with my brother in Texas in 90 + degrees in my Roadcrafter. It is great in the heat ..... just never stop moving. If your commute is stop-n-go then then Roadcrafter may not be your best option during the warm months.

Slip it on before you leave, wear it into work, slip it off hang it on the back of your office door. Most people will not even know your rode your motorcycle to work.

It is so liberating to just walk to the garage and get on your bike and ride. Worry about the weather as you ride into it. I have ridden in marble sized hail, 60+ mph quartering winds, torrential rain, and snow.

You will quickly develop an endearing "crazy, idiot, kook" image at work.

My Roadcrafter suit has now cost me less than $0.28 per riding day. (yeah, I keep a calendar of days I have ridden) Every day I ride it just gets cheaper. They cost a lot up front, yes. But they pay for themselves quickly. You bought your motorcycle to ride. You want the equipment it takes to ride it when you want.

Aerostitch should pay me for this.... but they don't.

My gear is all good, but much of it is unavailable in Mrka, and also doesn't meet your criteria of being cheap. I wear the saem gear year-round, except for the gloves, which I wear only in the winter or on very wet days. In summer, the pants and jacket have removable thermal liners and have vent zips for added cooling.

Boots: StylMartin StylSafe - 100% waterproof, oh so comfy, and have the nice "boot within a boot" feature, where the inner boot has six (6!) carbon fibre panels on it, in addition to the armour built into the outer boot. Only shortcoming is no toe-slider, but I ride with the ball of my foot on the pegs, and don't do track days, so it doesn't matter. NZ$450

Gloves: Spidi Sport Comp H2Out = 100% waterproof. NZ$250

Pants: Spidi GranTurismu = 100% waterproof, and have leather on seat and inner lower legs. :thumbsup: NZ$550

Jacket: Much-modified Teknic Hurricane. Mostly waterproof, but a little rain weeps in where the leather panels have been stitched on the shoulders, and at the top of the vent zips on the arms. Has removable thermal liner and draft guard for the neck, and two-level armour.

Way overdue for replacement, but I dunno what with (Spidi Gran Turismo jacket, mayhap, or maybe a Macna). NZ$700 + about another $400 spent on repairs and mods.

• Member Contributer

GORE-TEX A really nice outfit that IMO looks better than an aerostitch is by Alpinestars, called Drystar...astar makes this is a one piece or jacket / pants seperate. I want this set up but no $$$$

Tourmaster Elite 2 pc. rainsuit has kept me dry in day long trips in the rain. Keep it stowed on the bike...somewhere and use what protective gear you already have.

Slight downsides:

A bit bulky and it's a bit warm ie. doesn't breath very well.

I had to ride in the rain not to long a go and i bought a tourmaster defender 2pc for $60. Best money i spent IMO. I wore them over my textile jacket and leatherpants. The only thing i didnt get was water proof gloves. I had an extra pair of Joe rocket gloves so i put latex gloves on first then the leather ones. Not much of warmth but did keep my hand dry. The defender has a awesome hood you wear so water dripping from the back of your helmet doesn't drip down your back which i thought was cool. And the whole thing fits in a nice small size bag. I also took my honda top box in the rain also and it was 99% water proof. I even had my x box 360 in there and didnt even get wet.

But you have to worry about the cold too so a more expensive thicker suit would probably be the best bet :thumbsup:

good luck

I have a rain suit bought a couple years ago and still never tested. :pissed:

There's been hardly any rain. Plenty of fire the last couple days.

But that's very different then. :o

Wow, I have not seen the news for a couple of days. I did not mean to be insensitive to all those who have lost so much to the fires when I posted the pic. Pray all the vfrder's down there are safe.

On topic: anyone have or tried these?

http://www.newenough.com/protective_appare..._overpants.html

and these:

http://www.newenough.com/protective_appare...cle_jacket.html

Here is all I need for yearly riding in Florida:

-Olympia Phantom Suit (100% H20 proof....ask me how I know) for the cold stuff and up to 85-90 degrees.

-Teknic Chicane Jacket (used nikwax--water resistant) for summer time and spring

-First Gear Mesh Pants (same)- for anytime I don't wanna mess with the phantom

-Teknic Kevlar Jeans - to the store or a buddy's house

I'd highly recommend that phantom suit.....it's worth every penny. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I could never imagine riding in Florida, I'd be soaked from sweat or rain in a heartbeat....16 years or so of living there and I've never been in such a climate since.

Just picked up some clearance textile pants from Newenough...it was a good price, the TourMaster Jean pant, at least it has armor...it's more the the really cold days or when I'm wearing pants that stain easily (which is often) plus armor is good for you.

But, I'd like to get an Aerostich soon...but man they are pricey...the two people I've spoken to at length about them just didn't have enough to say about how good they were...

• 5 weeks later...

I just rode from Denton to Bartlesville,OK for Thanksgiving and boy was it cold!... until I hit the curves! While I was up there, I looked at the forecast, saw rain, and bought a Frog Togs suit for the way back.

I wore 4 pairs long underwear, long sleeve shirt, thick longsleeve shirt, two fleece sweaters, a fleece vest, jeans, Teknic sport leather pants (next time the Spidi pants- no ventilated crotch!), Joe Rocket jacket, waterproof gloves, and two pairs of thermal socks under Chippewa Rally boots (very nice boots BTW). Needless to say, I could barely move! When I had to put the rain suit on for the last 2/3 of the way home, it really helped keep me from getting wet and also helped cut the wind.

Some things I learnt:

1. waterproof your boots BEFORE you leave! My feet were wet and frozen

2. cold ain't fun

3. cold and wet REALLY ain't fun!

4. It's still better than driving :thumbsup:

5. I need to buy an insulated suit iffin I decide to make a long trip in the cold rain again!

6. The latex glove thing with cotton liners really helped

7. I looked like I should've been on the moon with all that on!

8. I couldn't feel the sleet

With the stops for gas and to warm up, it was almost seven hours to get home- I even looked longingly at a Goldwing being trailored behind a truck. Please forgive me on this one...

To make a long story short, I felt the frog togs suit worked quite well, but I did notice some places fraying where it came into contact with velcro on my gloves. Shoot, it was only 62.00...

I bought a rain suit, but until i get my tail bag figured out it won't go with me on all rides. Today was 32 degrees going into work....time for a Balaclava and installation of my heated grips!

Waterproof boots are great in all weather but July-August, where it rains inside your boots here.

• Member Contributer
I bought a rain suit, but until i get my tail bag figured out it won't go with me on all rides. Today was 32 degrees going into work....time for a Balaclava and installation of my heated grips!

Waterproof boots are great in all weather but July-August, where it rains inside your boots here.

Rode 653 miles in the Olympia the other day......27 degrees when I left, 69 degrees when I got back......one rain shower coming into Alabama from Mississippi...............handled it all great............... :thumbsup:

Archived