Best Camera To Carry?

Higgin

I'm looking at getting a camera to carry with me while I ride so that I can get some shots of where I've been (it never happened without pics right?), and people and bikes I meet along the way. I currently do not have any type of storage on the bike (no side bags, no tank bag, although tank bag will be comming eventually) other than the miniscule under seat storage and the fairly small pockets in my Icon Merc leather jacket. Just wondering if anyone had input on a good camera that I could bring with me probably in my jacket pocket or underseat, and won't cost me an arm and a leg. My friend has a Sony T1 from a few years ago. It seems to have held up much better than most cameras I think. Plus it really does take some pretty good pics, especially for its small size. I know since its came out, they've had a t5 and a t7 which are even smaller, but I figured a used T1 might be the ticket. Plus I already have a 4 gig memory stickpro duo, so it'd be a bonus to be able to use that. Suggestions????

I carry a Canon PowerShot A630 8.0MP. It has enough stuff on it for shots from a trip and it is fast and easy to use. I got it awhile back for 200 with a 2gig card. I have also received really good battery life with rechargeable batteries but it seems to suck alkaline like nothing else.

It's not really a "fit in your pocket" kind of camera but its not that big either. I can fit it in my pants cargo pocket but most of the time carry it in my backpack. I like your self do not have storage on my bike, however that will be changing since I will be taking my first long trip soon.

The A630 works for me, but whatever camera you get a tank bag is not that much money for a place to carry it.

I am no camera expert so you might want to wait for other peoples ideas. :wheel:

• Member Contributer
I'm looking at getting a camera to carry with me while I ride so that I can get some shots of where I've been (it never happened without pics right?), and people and bikes I meet along the way. I currently do not have any type of storage on the bike (no side bags, no tank bag, although tank bag will be comming eventually) other than the miniscule under seat storage and the fairly small pockets in my Icon Merc leather jacket. Just wondering if anyone had input on a good camera that I could bring with me probably in my jacket pocket or underseat, and won't cost me an arm and a leg. My friend has a Sony T1 from a few years ago. It seems to have held up much better than most cameras I think. Plus it really does take some pretty good pics, especially for its small size. I know since its came out, they've had a t5 and a t7 which are even smaller, but I figured a used T1 might be the ticket. Plus I already have a 4 gig memory stickpro duo, so it'd be a bonus to be able to use that. Suggestions????

I was a pro commercial photographer for 15 years (before getting into real estate) and I use a Sony DSC-T1 as my take anywhere camera. I have bigger digital SLRs but it is more important to have a camera that you are likely to carry than it is to have a "nicer" camera that you'll leave behind when it is a hassle. The little Sony fits a in jacket pocket, it is quick to start up and it takes sharp, snappy images. You'll be fine if you choose a T5 or T7. You also may want to look at one of the small Canon cameras. I would spend the extra money to get a new camera unless you are buying from a friend. A good camera is worth the modest investment. Don't wait, get one now, you'll be happy that you did.

If you have any more questions you are welcome to PM me anytime.

• Member Contributer

I'm pretty much a Canon guy and use the previous model to the one BlueFireIce mentioned which is the 620. It's a little slow compared to others I've used but works perfectly for my trips. My primary reason for buying it was for the flip out screen and the AA batteries(Duracell AA's last a long time for me). I like being able to find replacement batteries practically anywhere and the movable screen gives me the option to shoot at waist level or over my head and still see the screen.

My best recommendation to someone searching for a new camera is to find a Best Buy or electronic store that has several models to choose from. Play around with each camera for a while. See which ones fit your hand the best, has the best button configuration and see which has the easiest menus to navigate. Some of the smaller ones are just too difficult to operate with my fat fingers. Sony and Canon would be my top picks although most manufacturers are quite good. My personal experience is that some Vivitar and Kodak models although good quality cameras tend to be battery hogs.

Further Reading...

DPreview

Digital Camera Info

• Member Contributer

I have a Nikon Coolpix S5 (the newer S7 was released last year).

The big reason I bought it was because of it's small size (fits in any pocket and when I fall on it while snowboarding, it doesn't try to puncture my lung) and the .6 sec startup time. I used to miss pictures because of the silly startup screens that took up to 20 secs to load before the camera was ready.

It's now two years old and I don't plan on replacing it any time soon.

edit: Forgot to add that I can operate all the functions with both motorcycle and snowboard gloves on. Makes life that much easier.

• Member Contributer

For you, I can see the appeal of buying a Sony still camera to take advantage of your existing 4 gig card - probably a $100 incentive for you. IMO, however, I think the camera companies like Canon and Nikon offer better products. Their optics and features seem slightly better to me.

Using a tankbag is more convenient for impromptu photography during short stops at roadside. (Insulating the bag with some nice padding will protect the camera.) I like the ability to take shots without removing my gloves and helmet. It might look dorky wearing your gloves while trying out cameras at the store, but it could help rule out various models, especially the smallest cameras with tiny buttons. If you do go the tiny camera in jacket pocket route, get a leash long enough to secure around your neck during the ride. You will otherwise definitely drop it and small cameras are not very durable. If you use the tankbag, get into the habit of always wrapping the strap around your wrist or neck when taking it out.

Lastly, consider a camera where you can easily turn off the screen and use the viewfinder instead. During a daytime ride, it is generally difficult to see the LCD screen in bright light. The viewfinder works much better in those situations. Some Canon cameras use a swivel screen that when you swivel it into a closed position, it defaults your view to looking into the viewfinder.

• Member Contributer

After a few hits on my first gen canon...............

2133641440099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I recently transitioned to a Panasonic Lumix.

img_ls75_big.jpg

Principal reasons for picking this camera were:

1. Cheap as I am likey to drop/damage/lose it on a trip

2. Very easy to turn on with MC gloves

3. Uses AA batteries which are easy to get on the road/tour (edited to add it uses rechargeable AAs too)

4. Handles vibration with anti blur stuff/tech

5. Good resolution

My old camera took lots of hits. I started out just taking shots when I stopped (stored in tankbag) then I transitioned to a RAM mount.

med_gallery_2144_2760_205377.jpg

So I just use a cloaking device for security

med_gallery_2144_2341_894306.jpg

But had to take it off if I went out exploring on foot so now I use two cameras. The second digital a kodak has a 10 power zoom.

• Member Contributer

But had to take it off if I went out exploring on foot so now I use two cameras. The second digital a kodak has a 10 power zoom.

Definetly packed for the road.....no wonder you got a Gold Wing............. :P ........I want one too at some point, not gonna' give up the Triumph to get it though...... :blink:

• Member Contributer
use a Sony DSC-T1 as my take anywhere camera. .
:thumbsup:

the other real bonus to sony cameras are the rechargeable lithium battery pack they come with, beats the hell out of AA batteries. this will save you hundreds of dollars in itself. sony is also very user friendly. We have a DSC 3.1mp that we have dropped multiple times and it still takes great pictures. The battery lasted 5 years and was replaced for $11.

Our first digital camera was olympus and it sucked!!

if you can find a used canon powershot s80, you really can't go wrong.

the optics on it are great for the size, it gets you 8megapixels which is far more than you need, but most importantly it has a metal door which slides over the lens. nice protection.

mine's been around the world with me a few times and has never let me down. i've drunkenly dropped it and smashed is and its predecessor canon s30 into a thousand bits, and when quickly reassembled seems to work fine. it's the size of a cell phone and easily fits into most pockets and compartments. battery life has never let me down. and you can copy the files across with a usb cable rather than using a special card reader. it won't reuse your existing memory though.

i don't know why canon stopped making this design of camera, as that metal door was great. movies on it are ok, not excellent.

hit ebay for one and save a few $$. i dread the day it dies because i fear i won't find anything as nice or useful.

a review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonS80/

• Member Contributer

I recently transitioned to a Panasonic Lumix.

img_ls75_big.jpg

............................................................................................................................................................

I started out just taking shots when I stopped (stored in tankbag) then I transitioned to a RAM mount.

med_gallery_2144_2760_205377.jpg

The second digital a kodak has a 10 power zoom.

Definetly packed for the road.....no wonder you got a Gold Wing............. :P ........I want one too at some point, not gonna' give up the Triumph to get it though...... :blink:

The universal law of nature and my garage tooooooo! Junk expands to the room available!

I have a problem (actually I have several but who is counting) with space on the big bird too! But is kind of nice to throw all the electronic junk, cameras, extra batteries, chargers etc in the trunk where I guy does not have to bend down to get it. :pissed:

Panasonic on left grip of the GL.

2804372500099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Keep the Triumph and get a used Wing!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Pentax Optio WPi - it is waterproof as in you can take it underwater- it is small it will take 6 megapixel pictures and it is easy to use. I got mine from Abe's of Maine. They have a newer version out now called a W30 that is a 7.1 megapixel version. They are handy and I never worry about it getting soaked on outdoor adventure type trips. The new one is in the $220 range for the camera and then a few bucks more for extra batteries etc.

Archived