Stupid Rider Encounter Today

Beck

Just like to rant about encountering a jerk today on Skyline going towards Alice's.

I was just minding my business riding through the mountain forest trying to stay close enough to the speed limit cause the LEOs have been heavy up there this season, when an @ssh@le on an ST1300 almost wings me by doing a pass across a double yellow, so close to my left elbow that it really startled me. I figure, it's one of these guys that just want to show everyone how fast his big ST can go. He wanted to buzz this VFR rider and just show me how great a rider he is on his big bike. Why do some of these Sport touring and big trailie bikers like this guy always have to prove something with their bikes?!! I had to calm myself down when i drove into the big parking lot by Alices. I wanted to just kick his butt right there! Ehhhh, he was kinda chicken anyway. he couldn't even look me in the eye when I stared him down as I slowly passed in front of his bike. :goofy: Riders like this don't impress me at all, they're just mostly stupid and will eventually discover the limits of their bikes in the worst way....end of rant!

Ride safe for the rest of the season guys! :thumbsup:

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
I was just minding my business

1. This is how most ED stories start.... "I was just minding my own business when out of nowhere this (insert favorite expletive) shot me." I'm not saying it was your fault he was so close since he had no business passing you the way he did, but I doubt he was trying to clip you.

2. He probably didn't look at you because he didn't see you pass by, nor did he care.

3. I'm sure the cagers Sebastian passed in his F4i video said the same thing about him. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=35746&hl=

I was just minding my business

1. This is how most ED stories start.... "I was just minding my own business when out of nowhere this (insert favorite expletive) shot me." I'm not saying it was your fault he was so close since he had no business passing you the way he did, but I doubt he was trying to clip you.

2. He probably didn't look at you because he didn't see you pass by, nor did he care.

I've been passed close many times all the years I've been riding but this one's so close it's personal. No excuses possible here, the road was wide open in that section, and there were no other vehicles sharing it with us, and yes the @ssH@le saw me good shaking my head at him when I passed him on the lot that's when he then avoided looking at me an started looking nervous.

I've been riding bikes on the road over 25 years in many places and conditions and I know jerk riders when I encounter them. I still think it's just a matter of time till he meets up with a hotter tempered rider that might finally make him finally quit buzzing other riders like he did to me on the road with a boot up where the sun don't shine.

Beck

95 VFR

Can't say since I wasn't there if this guy pulled an unsafe move and deserved to be strangled or if you were just startled and got POed. I pass on the double-yellow from time to time, and I've been POed when others pass me and I get startled. I'm guessing this guy on the ST was being some level of an asshat, and you had a right to be whizzed. Not much we can do when that happens except take a deep breath and try not to do something stupid in return.

I think it's safe to pass on the double yellow sometimes, and although it's illegal, can startle drivers, and probably hurts our reputation, I do it because I'm just not willing to get stuck behind a slow driver, or even a fairly quick driver, when I'm riding a curvy road and want to have fun and there aren't many places to pass legally. Thankfully, I live in a motorcycle paradise of great roads and very low traffic. In most of my riding, there just aren't many slow vehicles out there to overtake.

A few rules I set for myself: I try to be sure I have more than ample room. I don't want to be passing and have a car appear coming right at me. That startles everybody and it's unsafe. I also try to follow a car for a fair amount of time to be sure he knows I'm there and has a chance to pull over to let me pass. If he doesn't, I figure I'm good to pass at a safe opportunity. Still, I sometimes get impatient and pass where I probably shouldn't, and certainly I sometimes hurt our collective reputation. I feel guilty but I do it anyway. I just try to keep it safe and as unoffensive as possible.

Really unsafe things I've seen other riders do is pass in turns or with turns immediately ahead. Down at Laguna Seca, I saw the most unsafe pass of my life when the rider ended up going into a turn riding the double yellow at high speed between the passed car and an oncoming car. Amazing that there wasn't a head-on crash, and I think I would have shot the guy if I could have. I also hate it when a fellow rider passes me on the right in my lane. That lane belongs to me, and if someone is going to pass me, it should be in a place where it's safe to cross the line, double yellow or not, and pass on the left.

Anyway, Miles the Two-Wheeled Philosopher says this is a good opportunity to reflect on safety and respect for our fellow riders. Hey, it's Sunday and you're not in church.

• Member Contributer

It's called "Intelligence Quotient Deficiency".

I figure it's best to let the nutters go.

Sounds like he felt like he made a mistake out there, maybe. :goofy:

This is how most ED stories start

ED? The only thing comes to mind is from stupid adverts.

I know it's not Erectile Disfunction. I don't need to SeeAlice. :idea3: Clue me in here. :lol:

• Member Contributer

I always get the crazy motard guys blasting by. They always have their elbows hanging out. It feels like their elbow is actually inside my fairing!!

Usually scares me, as it usually happens in the tight stuff and you never see them coming up behind you. :beer:

Doesn't bother me too much if they appear to be good riders. Personally, I try and let a rider in front of me notice I am behind them prior to passing, so as not to startle them. This only works if they use their mirrors and then let me by. Otherwise, I find a spot to pass and blow by.

I try not to startle other motorists, and tho I have been passing on double-yellows a bit more lately (Shame on me.) it's always safe for me to do so and I've usually been behind the cager in front of me long enough that they should know I'm back there, assuming they've bothered to check their mirrors anyway.

I will admit that I made us look bad this morning. Traveling to work this morning on a fairly wide open 2-lane rural freeway I was behind a guy in a black 3-series BMW coupe in the passing lane. The guy was not going as fast as I was, maybe 70 mph to my 75 or so. The right lane was wide open and he should have moved over. I try not to pass on the right unless I have to. Not wanting to pass on the right, I got behind the guy and flashed my lights. No effect. Flashed again and this time he raised his arm and pointed to the right.

At this point I'm ticked. I should have just passed him on the right but I couldn't let it go that easily. There was also at least one car behind me that also should have been allowed to pass this clown in the legal manner. So I gesture with my left arm/hand that HE should move over, not me. No effect. I waited a bit more and finally downshifted to 5th and passed him on the right. As I passed him I looked over and saw him with his right arm extended with his palm up as if to say, "WTF?" Oh, and his other hand was of course being occupied by a cellphone. I then chose to utilize MY left hand to gesture back to him. Actually, I only used one finger on my left hand, and you can probably guess which one.

Now, this is something I never do. I mean, I haven't flipped anyone off in years, maybe a decade, esp. on the road. Too many crazies out there, but this guy really got me steamed. I've noticed many people unwilling to move over in recent years. I saw many cagers cruising along in the left lane during my brief ride thru Michigan on 6/30/07 and had to pass them on the right b/c they wouldn't move over, but this guy was blatant about it.

If he had finally moved over I just would have passed him normally, tho I would have been quite tempted to raise my visor and scream "Passing lane!" at him as I went by, but unfortunately he didn't yield and I took the "low road" while passing him. I'm not proud of myself but I'm sure it was amusing to the folks behind me, just as I am very sure the BMW driver thought I was a total a$$hat. That's OK, I think the same of him.

BTW, if you're going to buy a car like a BMW (and this was an "M" version) you ought to know how to freaking drive. Same thing with buying a race replica sportbike. Just my little insignificant opinion.

Sorry for the rant, and for sullying the reputation of the motorcycling community this morning, but this one got to me a bit.

• Member Contributer
Just like to rant about encountering a jerk today on Skyline going towards Alice's.

I was just minding my business riding through the mountain forest trying to stay close enough to the speed limit cause the LEOs have been heavy up there this season, when an @ssh@le on an ST1300 almost wings me by doing a pass across a double yellow, so close to my left elbow that it really startled me. I figure, it's one of these guys that just want to show everyone how fast his big ST can go. He wanted to buzz this VFR rider and just show me how great a rider he is on his big bike. Why do some of these Sport touring and big trailie bikers like this guy always have to prove something with their bikes?!! I had to calm myself down when i drove into the big parking lot by Alices. I wanted to just kick his butt right there! Ehhhh, he was kinda chicken anyway. he couldn't even look me in the eye when I stared him down as I slowly passed in front of his bike. :beer: Riders like this don't impress me at all, they're just mostly stupid and will eventually discover the limits of their bikes in the worst way....end of rant!

Ride safe for the rest of the season guys! :thumbsup:

Beck

95 VFR

Alright Beck...... :thumbsup: ....I'm movin' to your neck-a-the-woods, you only encountered one of these.....CONGRATS........I always get multiples every day............................. :beer:

• Member Contributer

ED = Emergency Department. Full of people who have done dumb things.

Archived