Respring A Rear Shock How To?

Synaptic Misfire

Guest 767fixer

rent or borrow a spring compressor from auto zone. once its compressed its a breeze to change. just keep body parts and family away while the spring is compressed in the event it "breaks free"

Spring compressors for macphearson struts for cars are way too big. I have an old set that I am going to modify by cutting and grinding the parts that grab the springs. You might want to buy a set off ebay and modify them. Usually pretty cheap.

Guest 767fixer
Spring compressors for macphearson struts for cars are way too big. I have an old set that I am going to modify by cutting and grinding the parts that grab the springs. You might want to buy a set off ebay and modify them. Usually pretty cheap.

where do i find pictures of these macphearson's sluts??? :blink:

WHooooaaaa nevermind!!! a google search turned up "interesting" results :thumbsup:

Wrong forum Fixer :goofy:

Usually a hydraulic press is required (it's certainly the easiest way to do it). I'd just take it to a shop.

• Member Contributer

I've re-sprung several with basic tools but never an OEM honda unit .

So far, I've done a couple of yamaha's, a ducati, and a fox. They have an open slot on the bottom spring mount that allows you to get a good bite with a long pry bar to push up on (compress) the spring enough to remove the mount. The open gap on the bottom spring mount is enough to clear the shock shaft when you pull it out. The spring can them be removed from the bottom. Clamp the upper shock mount in a vice and use a very looooong pry bar for leverage. I also use a needle nose vice grip to clasp the lower spring mount when I pull it out in case something goes wrong (I like to keep all my fingertips thanks).

• Member Contributer
I've re-sprung several with basic tools but never an OEM honda unit .

So far, I've done a couple of yamaha's, a ducati, and a fox. They have an open slot on the bottom spring mount that allows you to get a good bite with a long pry bar to push up on (compress) the spring enough to remove the mount. The open gap on the bottom spring mount is enough to clear the shock shaft when you pull it out. The spring can them be removed from the bottom. Clamp the upper shock mount in a vice and use a very looooong pry bar for leverage. I also use a needle nose vice grip to clasp the lower spring mount when I pull it out in case something goes wrong (I like to keep all my fingertips thanks).

...which is very dangerous, need I point out? I have heard of a few DIY monoshock re-spring methods, but this one is definitely the one with the most potential for excitement! After carefully buying all of the component parts of the Honda OEM spring compressor (also sold by Kowa), I ended up just buying a hydraulic press (though I have yet to use it in anger). Goodus luckus...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I also took mine to a shop today, the local certified Ohlins repair facility. http://www.naake.com

Can't say enough good things about this place, he switched the spring in about 5 minutes and didn't charge a thing. And they've serviced my Ohlins previously. If you need a shock or forks reworked or serviced they're worth shipping to. Mike Naake is the owner.

Archived