Coolmax Compression Shirts

• Member Contributer

So I bought 4 of these coolmax compression t-shirts from coolmaxclothing.com and let me tell you, I don't know how I went without them before. Its been 85-90 this past weekend with no wind, and as long as I'm doing >25 mph, I get this nice cool sensation on my chest and back (through my Hein Gericke mesh jacket). I hardly notice that my legs don't receive any air (waterproof pants, waterproof race boots that allow no circulation whatsoever) because my core stays so cool.

Two things:

1. You will set new style trends (ie look like a sausage), so either keep your jacket on when in public or stay in reasonable shape. I suggest the compression style since they work by evaporative cooling, which will happen to a lesser degree if you go with a looser style shirt. However, there are looser models available.

2. Sometimes it rides up in the back while bending over the handlebars. If your jacket and pants do not stay together, the following driver will get a nice view of your backside.

And no, I'm not posting pics - I have enough women beating down my door as it is. I've already replaced two doors this month. Knowing that most members on this forum are male has me even more worried (see #2 above about bending over the handlebars) :goofy:

I'm probably going to buy even more for replacing my undershirts for everyday use. I can use all the help I can get to keep from sweating!

:thumbsup: They are great shirts. Of course due to my lack of physical conditioning I wear a regular T-shirt over the under shirt. I'd recommend them to anyone especially in the FL humidity.

• Member Contributer

Yep, used them ever since I started riding. Get the pants also; there is no way I could get into or out of my 1 piece leathers without them. When I had 2 piece leathers and would remove my jacket when stopping, I would just bring a t shirt to throw on over the underarmor shirt.

• Member Contributer
Yep, used them ever since I started riding. Get the pants also; there is no way I could get into or out of my 1 piece leathers without them. When I had 2 piece leathers and would remove my jacket when stopping, I would just bring a t shirt to throw on over the underarmor shirt.

Now if we could just get those VFRD t-shirts printed, this problem would have the perfect solution smile.gif Pants too, eh? Now look what you've done, I'm going to have to spend more money!

• Member Contributer
Now if we could just get those VFRD t-shirts printed, this problem would have the perfect solution smile.gif Pants too, eh? Now look what you've done, I'm going to have to spend more money!

I think pants are probably more important than the shirt. Many people complain of "monkey butt" and other similar problems which I think are mostly caused by wearing cotton, which when wet is miserable. I learned early on in biking (pedal power) that synthetics are the way to go and naturally carried them over to motorcycles.

• Member Contributer

For us out of shape, or misshapen guys and gals, I have the solution (and not just loosing weight wise guys)

UnderArmor Tech tshirt line. I wear the short sleeve shirts when working out and the long sleeve shirts

when riding. Always buy them one size up from your normal size and they fit just like a regular t shirt.

I have some shirts from Adidas and Nike as well, but the UnderArmor shirts look better on my curvy body wink.gif

I get them at Sports Authority on sale a lot. Nice thing about them is they pack small as well.

And if your reallygoing on a long trip, the Nike and Underarmor underwear is nice as well. Looks like

bike shorts but with them and some Monkey Butt powder you have no worries. I like thier socks for working out

but not for riding, they get too tight on the ankle. 5.11 Tactical company has nice boot socks for military and

law enforcement that feel fine.

With these types of clothing I had no problems on my Honda Hoot 2006 tour (3500 miles in five days)

I've long used saturation as a tool against heat. Yesterday, i went on a long ride with a friend knowing it would be over a hundred most of the day where we were headed. In fact, it turned out to be a much longer ride than planned when he got a flat tire (Klamath River Highway about ten miles out of Happy Camp, for those of you who know the area.) We couldn't get a plug to hold, so I left him my water and strapped the tire on my bike and took off for a tire store. It was a push because it was close to four when I left. I figured I had about sixty miles of river canyon to ride and had to be to Les Schwab in Yreka by 5. I made it with three minutes left, and they plugged the tire before that three minutes was out.

Ended up doing 595 miles in fifteen hours, with long breaks trying to patch the tire, plus meals and a few stops for gas and water.

If it's that hot, I soak my head and the inside of my helmet. Soak my t shirt and a bandana. Then I zip everything up tight and ride. It stays cool for about an hour, then I have to re-saturate.

This is survival mode, and if I can avoid it, I don't ride that long in that kind of heat. Next week I'll leave a few days early for Laguna Seca so I can ride the coast, where it should be about 65 degrees, and take my time.

Also, FWIW, in the last few years I've relaxed my rules about ATT,ATG. When it gets up to 100, I'll switch riding pants for light-weight cargo pants. It's a calculated risk. I have mesh/leather riding pants, but they just won't do for long trips with big temperature swings.

Redding: The heat-sink capital of the world. I don't know how people live there.

:thumbsup: They are great shirts. Of course due to my lack of physical conditioning I wear a regular T-shirt over the under shirt. I'd recommend them to anyone especially in the FL humidity.

To get the most out of these (coolmax/capilene) shirts you shouldn't wear cotton as a second layer. I wear a long sleeve tight fit capilene shirt for base layer and a loos fit capilene T for second layer :thumbsup:

And :rolleyes: on getting the pants too.

• Member Contributer
Steve: Did you get a price break for buying in quantity?

Nope, but at $23 they are a bit cheaper than the Underarmor, and supposedly work better at cooling (per their advertising). Maybe a group buy is in order? I've already organized one colossal group buy - its your turn, Marty smile.gif

As far as monkey butt goes, I'm still all for the beaded seat cover... The air goes right through! Then again, I do think the pants would make a huge difference, but I'd need to buy a set of mesh pants to go over the top for them to make a difference. Not sure I need a whole wardrobe change considering its 90 degrees in Cleveland for about a week out of the year.

Went shopping today for this stuff and ended up buying Champion brand DUO-Temp stuff...looks and feels just like the UnderArmour at the previous store. Next week I will be doing a solo trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway most of the week-end so I will be able to give a report on how it does with mesh gear on over it. Got bottom padded cycling shorts made out of the stuff too. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
So I bought 4 of these coolmax compression t-shirts from coolmaxclothing.com and let me tell you, I don't know how I went without them before. Its been 85-90 this past weekend with no wind, and as long as I'm doing >25 mph, I get this nice cool sensation on my chest and back (through my Hein Gericke mesh jacket). I hardly notice that my legs don't receive any air (waterproof pants, waterproof race boots that allow no circulation whatsoever) because my core stays so cool.

Two things:

1. You will set new style trends (ie look like a sausage), so either keep your jacket on when in public or stay in reasonable shape. I suggest the compression style since they work by evaporative cooling, which will happen to a lesser degree if you go with a looser style shirt. However, there are looser models available.

2. Sometimes it rides up in the back while bending over the handlebars. If your jacket and pants do not stay together, the following driver will get a nice view of your backside.

And no, I'm not posting pics - I have enough women beating down my door as it is. I've already replaced two doors this month. Knowing that most members on this forum are male has me even more worried (see #2 above about bending over the handlebars) :warranty:

I'm probably going to buy even more for replacing my undershirts for everyday use. I can use all the help I can get to keep from sweating!

They changed the name of their website from coolmaxclothing.com to coolclothingusa.com. They offer great Made in the USA 100% coolmax clothing

Coolmax is great stuff. Besides having some shifts, I've also got some coolmax Alpinestar socks and UnderArmor boxer briefs. Great for hot weather riding. :warranty:

• Member Contributer

I guess I'm a cheapo. I buy polyester athletic shirts from Kohl's for $10 each (Tek Gear Brand)

They wick the perspiration away great and they are available in lots of colors. That is all I wear under my Fieldsheer Textile and I feel quite comfy even when the temps are in the 90's.

Regards,

Rollin

I have found that a camelback works best in the heat.

it holds 70 oz of water. keeps you from getting dehydrated.

You'll sweat more, but nothing beats a quick drink on the road on a hot day.

it's great.

the small one doesn't ride up on my back also.

Archived