Usd Fork Swappers, I Need A Measurement

flyguyeddy

can someone measure their fork tube where it clamps to the lower triple and tell me the OD of the fork tube? im hoping its 56mm.

ive got a set of YZF750 forks and it would be nice to be able to use them.

can someone measure their fork tube where it clamps to the lower triple and tell me the OD of the fork tube? im hoping its 56mm.

ive got a set of YZF750 forks and it would be nice to be able to use them.

Measurement from what? No upper or lower triple tree from any VFR will work with any USD forks. :rolleyes:

NO VFR will have 56mm, most are 41mm to 2002 when they went to 43mm.

I believe the diameter of the fork tubes are 50mm at the top triple clamp and 54mm at the bottom clamp.

Affirmative, checked my triples tonight and got the same dimensions. Funnily enough the forks themselves are described as being 43mm, which is the slider diameter of course.

I'm fairly certain that all vanilla late model USD tripleclamp dimensions are as per above, only some MVs and the like (i.e. exotica) seem to be different. Oh and earlier bikes, too...

So appears no good on the YZF750 fork swap, what about ZX-7R forks? Potentially a little short...

?what if i turned that part of the fork down to the proper diameter? i have access to that kind of equipment.

Could work, but removing material could mean removing strength/stiffness on that part of the forks. I'd check it out for feasibility/safety first before diving into it.

Beck

95 VFR

my forks are allegedly 41mm slider whereas the honda is 43. i would think that its a pretty beefy area there with the smaller slider and the honda even has a smaller OD yet.

i think it should be ok, i just need a final opinion before i crack them down and start turnin!

bailey, phantom, what do u think?

I say crack them open and found out how thick the walls are in the forks. If shaving 1 mm off around the circumference is more than 25% of the total wall thickness, I say don't do it. (I don't know why 25%, sounds like a good number).

Conversely, what about enlarging the bottom triple clamps to 56 mm? There's a lot more material there to shave off than on the forks.

Second both of Darth's comments - you need to look inside the fork before you shave it down, but modding the triple/s might be your out. There's a lot of meat in Honda's tripleclamps.

You may be correct about the Yam fork outer being pretty thick if it's only got 41mm sliders. But best to take a look first.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

i did a swap but my forks are 50mm i used vfrcanucks article as a basis for mine if you have 56mm forks you may have to go custom,on the trees that is, but one thing, with 50mm its pretty tight room wise where the tree's are i would go with some rc51 forks instead the parts are much more available and we have a write-up on this site thats is very, very, good with pics as well.good luck on your project.

i did a swap but my forks are 50mm i used vfrcanucks article as a basis for mine if you have 56mm forks you may have to go custom,on the trees that is, but one thing, with 50mm its pretty tight room wise where the tree's are i would go with some rc51 forks instead the parts are much more available and we have a write-up on this site thats is very, very, good with pics as well.good luck on your project.

+1.gif

The larger RC51/929/954 triples with the 54/50mm USD forks are extremely close to fouling the inner fairings throughout their rotation and even when pointing straight ahead.

Mine don't rub, but they're awful close. ][

One might be able to forego running the black inner fairing pieces (talking 5th gen here) down where the lower triple is, but I'm not sure how much room that would gain you, I've never investigated.

Absolutely no idea how that info would translate to a 3rd gen though. Sorry.

Maybe look at hogging out a lower RC51 (SP1) triple clamp from 54mm to 56mm? I've never looked at that avenue, but you might want to give it a thought.

(this does not constitute a recommendation)

• Member Contributer
The larger RC51/929/954 triples with the 54/50mm USD forks are extremely close to fouling the inner fairings throughout their rotation and even when pointing straight ahead.

Mine don't rub, but they're awful close. ][

One might be able to forego running the black inner fairing pieces (talking 5th gen here) down where the lower triple is, but I'm not sure how much room that would gain you, I've never investigated.

Mine did rub for whatever reason so I removed the inner fairing. There's all kinds of room now, you can reach in and change the turn signal bulbs, unplug your coil wires if you want, carry a lunch, store a cat or small dog... +1.gif