Pilot Power 2ct

Red98V4

• Member Contributer

Well Took of the Qualifiers (which are great tires by the way, just longer heating time) and splurged for some new PP 2CT..First impression was "Why is my bike leaning on it's own?". These things want to turn and stick like crazy when they do. I was very confident on my Q's but these things make me feel even more confident in their abilities and this is before the scrub in.

Thumbs WAY UP.

The Front on the 2CT are the same as the regular PP but the rear usually runs 20 to 40 more than the rear and are well worth it..Next on the menu M3's. Heard they are THE tire.

• Member Contributer
Next on the menu M3's. Heard they are THE tire.

Nope you have THE tire. PP 2CT has beat everything in every competition and always scores the highest. It just doesn't get any better then what your on, no reason to change. Every sport bike I ever own, especially after lowsiding on Metzlers at a measly 40mph (I will never run them on anything EVER) will ALWAYS be shod with PP, end of story.

They put them on someone's MotoGP bike (forget who) and he ran them for a couple laps and was only 8 seconds slower then his best time ever at that track on a street tire! That is accomplishment.

• Member Contributer
Well Took of the Qualifiers (which are great tires by the way, just longer heating time) and splurged for some new PP 2CT..First impression was "Why is my bike leaning on it's own?". These things want to turn and stick like crazy when they do. I was very confident on my Q's but these things make me feel even more confident in their abilities and this is before the scrub in.

Thumbs WAY UP.

The Front on the 2CT are the same as the regular PP but the rear usually runs 20 to 40 more than the rear and are well worth it..Next on the menu M3's. Heard they are THE tire.

This could get interesting...I have M3's and plan to replace them by next track day with 2CT's. I want to see how they compare. It may not be a direct comparo for me though, cause I will try a 190/55 on the rear instead of the 190/50.

• Member Contributer

Doesn't the 2CT just have a harder compound in the center vs. regular PP? How different does the 2CT feel relative to a PP?

• Member Contributer
Doesn't the 2CT just have a harder compound in the center vs. regular PP? How different does the 2CT feel relative to a PP?

Power 2CT has the same compound in the center with a softer compound on the sides.

I prefer the regular Powers to the 2CT.

• Member Contributer

The PP is Almost on par with the 2CT the difference is the little bit softer walls get warm FAST and grip just a bit better. WIth the harder compound in the middle cupping doesn't happen as fast. The PP is one solid tire, the 2CT is like having 2 solid tires. Sitting straight up is not what this tire wants to do. It wan't to bank over.

The best way to put it I guess is where I hang off a little on the PP on the 2CT I do no hang off at all because the tire is balanced so well and leans so so easily

• Member Contributer

just my .02 The 2ct gets to hot on the edges. It sure does get slippery! Im in the same boat as Jeremy...much prefer the regular pilot powers for twisties. I am going to put on a fresh rear soon, just to see what kind of mileage i can get out of a 2ct set

• Member Contributer

I recently put PP 2CTs on my 750 Gixxer which I run mainly on the track. My response was the same: wow! I really like them. Quick warm-up and they stick really nicely. Haven't noticed any slipperiness when hot but so far I haven't run them on days hotter than 80F.

• Member Contributer

I put the regular PP's on at the end of last season and have nothing but praise. They replaced some worn out Metzler Z4's. It transformed the way the bike handles. I'm sold and will never go back. I haven't tried the 2CT's and I'm not sure I will at this point because I'm so happy with the setup.

Nope you have THE tire. PP 2CT has beat everything in every competition and always scores the highest. It just doesn't get any better then what your on, no reason to change. Every sport bike I ever own, especially after lowsiding on Metzlers at a measly 40mph (I will never run them on anything EVER) will ALWAYS be shod with PP, end of story.

They put them on someone's MotoGP bike (forget who) and he ran them for a couple laps and was only 8 seconds slower then his best time ever at that track on a street tire! That is accomplishment.

It was Colin Edwards. Follow the link to the video, it's pretty short, but you get the point...

i guess iam one of the only ones who think the pp's are ok my front is cupping bad with only 2000 miles on it

Wow, I've run through no less than 12 sets of PP and have never had one cup or wear poorly in any way(other than tread life) front or rear. In fact the front tire holds it's profile better than any other tire I've run in the last 70-80k miles and no other tire last longer in this class than the PP.

They do loose the super easy/fall into corners feel as the front wears though(into or near the wear bars) and a new one instantly remedies that problem. I do spend all my time in the twisties, so I feel the change as it wears. :thumbsup:

Have not tried the 2TC's yet, have no complaints with pushing the crap out of the standard PP to justify the extra cost of the 2tc's. Maybe track use, but I mostly use Pilot Race for that! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
i guess iam one of the only ones who think the pp's are ok my front is cupping bad with only 2000 miles on it

Wow, I've run through no less than 12 sets of PP and have never had one cup or wear poorly in any way(other than tread life) front or rear. In fact the front tire holds it's profile better than any other tire I've run in the last 70-80k miles and no other tire last longer in this class than the PP.

They do loose the super easy/fall into corners feel as the front wears though(into or near the wear bars) and a new one instantly remedies that problem. I do spend all my time in the twisties, so I feel the change as it wears. :thumbsup:

Have not tried the 2TC's yet, have no complaints with pushing the crap out of the standard PP to justify the extra cost of the 2tc's. Maybe track use, but I mostly use Pilot Race for that! :thumbsup:

+1.gif on not cupping, have never heard of anyone having that problem with Powers.

I wouldn't bother with the 2CTs, they wear on the sides a LOT faster than the regular Powers. I burned my rear 2CT at TMac in 1800 miles, where I was getting like 2200 from a Power at the fall meet (and riding harder then). A few reviews I have seen also say that regular powers are better on the street than the track because they overheat and get greasy quickly.

+1.gif on not cupping, have never heard of anyone having that problem with Powers.

I wouldn't bother with the 2CTs, they wear on the sides a LOT faster than the regular Powers. I burned my rear 2CT at TMac in 1800 miles, where I was getting like 2200 from a Power at the fall meet (and riding harder then). A few reviews I have seen also say that regular powers are better on the street than the track because they overheat and get greasy quickly.

I would be happy with harder centers and the same sides of the current PP, maybe that's what the PR 2TC( PR2 ?) will be. +1.gif

• Member Contributer

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried running more air pressure in a Pilot Race on the street to help the heat build-up to see how they would compare to Powers.................... +1.gif

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried running more air pressure in a Pilot Race on the street to help the heat build-up to see how they would compare to Powers.................... :blink:

+1.gif David, you pulling our chain?

You know lower tire pressures generate more heat sooner, not higher! +1.gif

• Member Contributer
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried running more air pressure in a Pilot Race on the street to help the heat build-up to see how they would compare to Powers.................... :huh:

:blink: David, you pulling our chain?

I guess I didn't state it right......I mean't to help the heat build-up / greasy problem, not to make em' "build-up" heat in the tire "sooner".......did I make better sense this time.... :blink: ...wait, try this....MORE AIR TO CURB THE HEAT BUILD UP AND HELP EM' RUN COOLER........... +1.gif

• Member Contributer

I know that 767fixer is running DOT Michelin's on his Gixxer and has pretty decent mileage on them with street tire pressures. I am not sure if these are the commercially available power race, or the real Pilot Race (PR) series though, I didn't look close enough.

I would expect better performance and wear characteristics out of a street/track day tire on the street than a race tire running it on the street being they are designed for different uses, but who knows.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried running more air pressure in a Pilot Race on the street to help the heat build-up to see how they would compare to Powers.................... :huh:

:blink: David, you pulling our chain?

I guess I didn't state it right......I mean't to help the heat build-up / greasy problem, not to make em' "build-up" heat in the tire "sooner".......did I make better sense this time.... :blink: ...wait, try this....MORE AIR TO CURB THE HEAT BUILD UP AND HELP EM' RUN COOLER........... +1.gif

:thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Pilot Race(not familiar to me) I assume have quicker heat build up and softer compound for track use. Pilot Powers have a somewhat harder compound and heat less quickly to help with the rigors of longer life street riding(I assume). Some of you that have access to both because of track days, that's what I wondered....if you might try the Race with more air and possibly come up with an even better combo for "twisty only" ride days, the extra air buffering the "keep building heat till they fade" street problem. Thought maybe it had already been tried ........... :thumbsup:

Many people have run Metzelers and they run just fine. Just like the michelin, you need the right tire for the right conditions. Metzeler M3's have worked marvelously on my VFR (wet and dry) as well as the M1's (except mileage was a little on the low side). I will agree that the Z6 was a llittle loose on the rear end in twisties, but then the Z6 is more like a Pilot Road which has people making the same complaint. I am running both PP's and M3's and I like them both. Point is, dont throw out the baby with the bath water....they all make various type tires for various situations. make sure you have the right tool for the right job. complaining about the screwdriver being a poor hammer doesn't help anyone.....

• Member Contributer

May's issue of german bike mag Motorrad, tested tires on a GSX-R1000 (different beast admittedly...)

Under dry conditions, the M3 came on top, in the wet the PP. both were declared "winner".

first some german language classes for you murricans

Handlichkeit = lvel of force needed to bring the bike at an angle into a turn and to keep it there. tested in both slow 50 to 80 kmh and fast 100 to 150kmh

Lenkprazision = steering precision in various fast passages through complex turns

Haftung Kurven = grip at maximum lean angle

Hafting beschleuniging= grip coming out fast of a turn

kurvenstabilitat = stability in turns with both flat and bumpy road surface

grenzbereichverhalten= controllabilty at the the edge of grip

aufstellmoment = will the bike raise itself up when the brakes are applies in a turn

dry conditions

aaaa.jpg

wet conditions

aaaawet.jpg

Good info Dutchy! :thumbsup:

I have always felt the PP were great in the wet to and as I always seem to have to ride in it, it's also a big factor for me!

I have heard nothing but good things about the M3's, but someone I ride with and with similar riding style told me they didn't last as long as the PP's he had run so I figured why bother. +1.gif

BTW is that wet (Min) lap times ? +1.gif

If so the the PP is at least 6 sec. faster a lap than #2 ! Wow!

Also this looks to be the standard PP, wonder how the 2TC would do?

I dunno maybe cupping isn't the right word maybe more like scalloping,but you can really feel it with your hand when you run it over the tire

• Member Contributer
BTW is that wet (Min) lap times ? +1.gif

If so the the PP is at least 6 sec. faster a lap than #2 ! Wow!

yep that is lap time (prefer lap dance myself :thumbsup: ). In the pissing rain, the PP pisses over the competition... (Always wondered what PP meant eh?)

They used Goodyear's testtrack in the south of France; it can be made wet in a controlled/replicable fashion. 1636 meters (is that 1 mile?) long with surfaces various from grippy to slippery...

Slippery?

SlipperyWhenWet.jpg

:P

This graph shows the speeds achieved at various points on the track, PP versus the worst, the BT14

aronf.jpg

This is what it must have been like for some at the last Motogp at LeMans eh? Pick the wrong set and you're up the creek......

Archived