Euro Trip Report

Guest remy

Guest remy

gallery_7037_2960_79005.jpg

Grossglockner Pass in Austria

I took one final spin around the Alps last week, before the Air Force send me back to the states. Thought I would share some pictures. Only got one ticket (passing illegally in Austria, 35 euro and I was on my way), lost one license plate (somewhere between northeast Italy and Switzerland), and roasted one back tire :blink: (steel belts showing through now.) Great trip, though, despite some rain. 1100 miles total, in 3 days. Covered 5 countries (Italy, Austria, Germany, Lichtenstein, Switzerland.)The best part was, I never touched the Autostrade/Autobahn. Nothing but two-lane backroads. Probably did about 15 different mountain passes (most still snow covered), including the Grossglockner Pass one last time. Possibly the greatest road to ever ride. I'll let you know how it compares to Deal's Gap when I head to the south (Moody AFB, GA anybody?)

gallery_7037_2960_134336.jpg

Time to burn it off, and make room for a new one...

gallery_7037_2960_52090.jpg

Lake Resia

gallery_7037_2960_185262.jpg

Abula Pass...between Switzerland and Italy

gallery_7037_2960_176375.jpg

Flims, Switzerland...nice little town to stay in for the nig

gallery_7037_2960_110956.jpg

Grossglockner Pass, Austria (heaven)

gallery_7037_2960_21008.jpg

Still a little bit of snow left...

gallery_7037_2960_167252.jpg

Waterfall just before Grossglockner Pass

• Member Contributer

Sehr schöne Bilder!!! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Sounds like an awesome trip. Those pictures are great too!

• Member Contributer

Is the VFR coming back to the US with you?

Word of advice: Stay outta Holland, it's FLAT! Seems like you hit the nice stuff up there in the Alps.

• Member Contributer
Word of advice: Stay outta Holland, it's FLAT! Seems like you hit the nice stuff up there in the Alps.

You telling me you were not hitting the nice "stuff" when you were in Amsterdam? :unsure: :goofy:

But he is right, we have no Alps....

• Member Contributer

Lucky SOB!!! You are going to be hating it when you get to Moody! It is in the middle of flat lands Georgia! But hey, you are going to be 4 hours closer to the gap then i.... so you still suck! LOL. You can always visit us in florida for rides. It would be a hell-of-a day trip. PM me when you get back state side and i'll send you to a damn good fish place in Ray City (about 15-20 minutes north of Moody). Enjoy!

Kevin

Yeah, definitely bringing it back to States. It's U.S. spec, bought if from another AF guy here. Definitely recommend riding the Alps to anyone that has the chance. I don't think I'll ever find roads this great anywhere else. And Europeans are so much more motorcycle friendly than Americans. It doesn't get any better than this.

Fantastic and thanks for sharing! Looks a little cool in places or is it always snowy in the Alps ? :unsure:

BTW is your VFR right hand drive. :goofy:

Great way to finish a tour! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Great pics of a great trip. What were the average temps on your trip......still looks kinda' "winterish". If so, Georgia this time of year is gonna' more than make up for it................. :unsure:

Some of the passes I went over were pretty frickin' cold. Maybe mid to high 30's at the peaks. A lot of the peaks have snow all year round. Last year, I went through the Grossglockner Pass in mid-July, and I stopped to play in the snow.

Some of the passes I went over were pretty frickin' cold. Maybe mid to high 30's at the peaks. A lot of the peaks have snow all year round. Last year, I went through the Grossglockner Pass in mid-July, and I stopped to play in the snow.

My little brother is stationed at Moody, he's gone right now though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Cool! pun intended. smile.gif

• Member Contributer

Unbelievable! We(my wife and me) were on Grossglockner on the 3-4th of May too. Then left for Gerlos, Nockalm and did Solkpass.

Two Blue BMW with RUS plates. :-))

• Member Contributer
Early this week it was snowing above 4000ft in the Austrian Alps. webcam pointed at the Grossglockner

When we arrived on the top of Grossglockner the air t was +2C and a lot of snow:-)) Was real fun! We met three Dutch bikes(all - BMW) and one silver VFR with Polish number plate - the pilot and the girl were coming home from Croatia.

The next morning we entered from the northen side and it was dry but cool and the top was fully covered by clouds - visibility = 10 m, air -1C - so we decided not to go to Kaiser but to return from Edelweiss down. That place was fantastic. But I must say that Nockalm is same stunning and scenic!

The Dutch guys seemed not to believe that we came from Moscow by bikes and took pics of our reg plates :-))

Archived