04-06 R1 Rr Installation How To

chris2992

• Member Contributer

gallery_4338_1246_199183.jpg

I picked my 05 RR up on ebay for $18 shipped and couldn't be happier. It is much larger than stock, so I had to cut off a 1/2" from each of the fins. After cutting them off, I filed the corners to rounds so they didn't scratch everything they touched. It just barely fits behind the plastic, at the closest point it is about 3/16" to 1/4" clear. It, so far, has functioned much better than the stock unit. I get a rock steady 14.0v at idle and at 5k rpm I have 14.2v, and the max that I have seen is 14.3. To say the least, this unit is steady and consistent. Also a big perk is that it runs cool to the touch at all times, I pulled the seat after about a 2 hr ride and it couldn't have been more than 20deg f above ambient, where as the stock unit would have been untouchably hot.

As for installation, here you go.

gallery_4338_1246_321108.jpg

You have to drill a new hole for the right side, but no biggie. I also just used the hardware from my OEM RR, however I was running the upgraded unit that included longer bolts, so if you have the smaller unit, you may need new bolts.

Once mounted, on to the electrical side. The gray connector is the 3 phases coming from the stator, order is no matter, just connect the 3 wires from the stator to each of the 3 inputs on the RR. I just used gold plated standard covered spade connectors. The black connector is the output to ground and battery. The lead on the left (closest to the gray connector) is the battery positive, the lead on the right (farthest from gray connector) is the ground.

While doing this mod, I did some beefing up of the charging system wiring. So here is a diagram of what was done. All wire added was 12ga high strand.

NOTE: This shows the +/- coming out of the RR backwards, This is only for wiring, space relation is incorrect

gallery_4338_1246_52340.jpg

Wiring Upgrade New + Wires in Red, New - Wires in Green. All wires used are 12ga high strand.

Thanks to:

Original007 for the R1 RR help

Zam70 for the wiring Idea

• Member Contributer

The gray and black that you see is all mounted to the RR. The yamaha wiring harness plugs into what you see, similar to the connector on the ECU of our bikes. So no I didn't use the yamaha connectors, but made my own out of standard female spade terminals.

• Member Contributer

After trouble shooting for year and buying a new R/R and a new Stator Mr.RC45 still operated as if it were

a total lost system... so I also copied the R1 rec reg mod... major job as usual on bike this tight for extra

space... had to mill off 1/2 inch off the fins and then design and machine a custom aluminum hanger... now

I show a constant 13.7 to 14.2 volts... credit goes to Origional007 for the idea and my thanks goes to Chris

for all the help... I shall recommend this mod to other RC45 owners...

(Note to Chris... are you sure your + - is correct on your wiring diagram???)

gallery_3131_51_26532.jpg

gallery_3131_51_42896.jpg

After trouble shooting for year and buying a new R/R and a new Stator Mr.RC45 still operated as if it were

a total lost system... so I also copied the R1 rec reg mod...

Mercy! A R/R from a stinky inline-4 hung off the sculpted side of Mr. RC45?

What is the world coming to? What's next? Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria!

CLICK ME!

• Member Contributer
Mercy! A R/R from a stinky inline-4 hung off the sculpted side of Mr. RC45?

What is the world coming to? What's next? Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria!

CLICK ME!

What's next???... Buell belt... Carbon Fiber wheels... composite matrix brake dics... Mr.RC45 will never been done...

It's OK Rob... I give the Yamaha ha ha R/R a acetone bath... it don't smell like stinky inline any more...

• Member Contributer
Nooo! Don't cross the streams! That would be bad!

Bad as in bike flambe... (Note this in not Mr.RC45... rather it's a pic from a female RC45 owner over in

England... and as you can guess it was one hot ride... she almost roasted her fanny... and such a sweet

one at that...)

452586597_bcc84894ae_o.jpg

• Member Contributer

The diagram in incorrect as for wire placement on the RR. I put it together for the Beaf up Dem wires thread, not for this thread. I guess I need to make a note about it on the picture.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Member Contributer

Well i just wanted to thank Chris for the great write up. I just finished this mod today without the beef ups. I did however make my new harness out of 12 Ga. high strand for the stator wires and 10 Ga. high strand for the positive and negative. I took a 100 mile test ride and the whole time i was reading 13.5-13.7 at idle and 14.3 above that. I was reading 12.0-12.3 at idle and 13.6 above that before with a brand new stator and R/R that was just replaced last year about this time. Total cost of install with R1 R/R, wire and connectors $38. I would call that a great bank for the buck. Thanks again Chris for your write up. :thumbsup:

a total lost system... so I also copied the R1 rec reg mod... major job as usual on bike this tight for extra

space... had to mill off 1/2 inch off the fins and then design and machine a custom aluminum hanger... now

I show a constant 13.7 to 14.2 volts... credit goes to Origional007 for the idea and my thanks goes to Chris

for all the help... I shall recommend this mod to other RC45 owners...

Thanks for the honorable mention. My install uses only 1 mount bolt and is angled so as to keep as much cooling fins as possible although this is probably not needed as they run so much cooler. Jim

gallery_3131_51_26532.jpg

gallery_3131_51_42896.jpg

• Member Contributer
Thanks for the honorable mention. My install uses only 1 mount bolt and is angled so as to keep as much cooling fins as possible although this is probably not needed as they run so much cooler. Jim

You're welcome Jim... good job...

My install employs what you see but what you can't see is a second bolt that secures the bottom of the R/R

to the black plastic hugger... it's just there to steady the weight of the R/R from stressing the upper mount...

• Member Contributer
she almost roasted her fanny... and such a sweet

one at that...)

Larry, Larry, Larry.........

You go to The Island soon yes?

You want to compliment a female on her round buttocks yes?

You expect to live yes? :P

Note then that fanny in the UK is a vulgar term for vagina... :blink:

And shagging has nothing to do really with a shag carpet (although it helps keeping skin on your knees)

Be safe!!!

• Member Contributer
she almost roasted her fanny... and such a sweet

one at that...)

Larry, Larry, Larry.........

You go to The Island soon yes?

You want to compliment a female on her round buttocks yes?

You expect to live yes? :P

Note then that fanny in the UK is a vulgar term for vagina... :beer:

And shagging has nothing to do really with a shag carpet (although it helps keeping skin on your knees)

Be safe!!!

Thanks for the PM Leon... as you know my Island plans have changed...

I understand "shag" but I had no idea that "fanny" was vulgar... thanks for the tip... I never wish to sound vulgar...

• Member Contributer
Note then that fanny in the UK is a vulgar term for vagina... :beer:

A good thing to know indeed as I am working with bunch of folks from the UK :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I added you info to your pic so I could print it out easily and not forget your details. copy the pic and print it like I did if it helps

rrinstallbychris.jpg

• Member Contributer
I bought one on ebay last night. I'll see if this is the fix for my missing .5 volt.

Got mine installed today. took me a while to cut and file the fins so they where even. I had to make it look good :rolleyes: came right up to where is should be

• 2 weeks later...
Guest snowparang

what about the black wire that's found on the original R/R connector? Disregard?

gallery_11419_2992_36241.jpg

DSCF0192.jpg

Edited by snowparang

• Member Contributer

See the other thread, I replied there.

That isn't an oem RR. The black wire is a voltage signal wire not found on the 5g VFR. You may have a RR from a 6g, not sure, but that isn't a 5g RR.

On a side note, If you are having charging issues, I highly recomend the mod that you are posting in.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Hello. My name is Jim and up until about 1 hour ago I was in EDD (electrical dysfunction denial).

You see, I thought I was ahead of the electrical curve by adding a digital volt meter stashed neatly into the mirror. I thought that since I'd be able to monitor the bike's system, I'd be able to ride worry free until I decided to get off.

Well, you know the rest. Constant focus on the mirror led to an obsession with how well, or in my case, when will the system fail.

So, after almost 3 years of watching my mirror give me readings of 13.4 at speed and a roubust 12.9 while doing most everything else, and a very disappointing 13.1 above 5k, and when I revd it, the volts would most times if not the vast majority of the time drop, I decided to do some digging into the board.

I first swapped an OEM RR which showed the same output. I recently swapped the battery only to obtain about the same v figures as well. I did all of the electrical diag test minus the load tests. All that checked out.

I didn't want to crack open the stator cover only to be reassured. So, I read 007's and Chris' write up on the R1 swap.

Well, swap is complete and I'm in 14.4/14.6 heaven. I only did the wire upgrade to the RR for now. I just wanted somequick feedback. I'll add the ground-to-battery-to-frame next.

I touched the three phase wires coming from the stator which were nice an hot. I touched the RR harness and it showed no heat. The R1 RR was not even warm. I could not do that with the OEM unit.

For specs here they are:

1st observed low volts at about 6k miles, I now have about 11k (I know, get out there);

OEM unit has "SH579A-11" and "7.D" in white;

I neither had any volt spikes nor any on road failure;

All connectors/wires are fine with no signs of heat stress;

R1 RR and associated connectors - about $35

I'm stoked to belong to the VFRD community that has contributors who share their experience, troubleshoot, and publish fixes.

Thank you for all your input and a big :thumbsup: to 007 and Chris.

Jim