Avon Storm

vic28222

Has anyone tried the new Avon Storms? If so, what is your impression? I hear that you can get a LOT more miles out of them than the 4500 I have been getting out of Z6s on the rear of my 99 VFR. I am very likely going to take an 8,000 mile trip in May/June and would LOVE to do so without having to get tires while on the road. The Avon tech in Seattle said if you keep the pressure right and don't wick the throttle too much you should get 9 to 11,000 touring miles out of a rear on a VFR. Is that even remotely possible? I've never gotten 5K out of a rear!

Vic

Actually I think Sebspeed did his trip on the Azaros, which I did my phx to Alaska to phx trip on. I'm getting the new Storms (which replace the Azaros this year) put on today and will do a write up after I do my Utah trip at the end of this month. I've heard nothing but good things about them so far. Reactive footprint seems to be Avons solution to wear v. grip, whereas other manufactors are going to dual compounds.

Also, I put over 9000 on the Azaros, nearly 7000 of that in 2 weeks. I have no doubt the Storms would get you through the trip and then some.

Has anyone tried the new Avon Storms? If so, what is your impression? I hear that you can get a LOT more miles out of them than the 4500 I have been getting out of Z6s on the rear of my 99 VFR. I am very likely going to take an 8,000 mile trip in May/June and would LOVE to do so without having to get tires while on the road. The Avon tech in Seattle said if you keep the pressure right and don't wick the throttle too much you should get 9 to 11,000 touring miles out of a rear on a VFR. Is that even remotely possible? I've never gotten 5K out of a rear!

Vic

I only know the 45 ST REAR , the storms predecessor, its an okay tire and useable ( heavy stiff carcus), I had alot of straightline slippage issues under dry conditions and wet, not really on a lean but accual straightline accel. Lowering pressure helped some, but it spun so much I developed a ditrusting complex, its not a tire for a front wheeled biased bike IMO. The large water gaps on the sides of the tire where way too large if you ask me. You could basically fit you finger in the crevises the road was wallowing them out even further . This is a tire for milege its not by any means a performance tire, but staay above 80 degree temps dont hammer it too much its ridable.

Now the Storm which I havent ridden , but right off the bat it has a better looking tread pattern, so I suspect it should be a little better. I just came off the AVON rear, now running a Perilli Stada, no slips at all. But I will probably try the storm cause I could use high milege also, depending on how well this pirelli does,

Sebspeed did his World Tour on a set and loved them, check with him!

Awlittle got it right, I did my trip on the old model, the Azaro AV45/46ST. I loved them so much I immediatley bought another set when I got home. I left with literally zero miles on the tires, and when I got back from the 7000+ mile trip, I put on another almost 900 miles before the rear wore out. I did change a it a little early, probably could have run another couple hundred miles on it. So, about 8000 out of the rear, but the last 900 or so was what killed it after I got home, I like to accelerate hard, and there is quite a bit of stop&go around here.

The front, on the other hand, only looks about 5/8ths worn, but I like to stick to changing tires in sets, so it is in my garage as a spare.

I put those tires through just about everything they could ever endure during that 2 week trip, hot, cold, wet, highway, dirt, tight, med, and light twisties, they handled everything well! I was also carrying about 80lbs of stuff, so a good load on them most of the time. I ran the max pressure listed on the tire the entire time, I had no slippage issues, I just took it a little easier during fresh rain, as usual.

They were/are great for me, and I only expect the same or better from the Storms! :thumbsup:

FWIW, I paid $77 for my Azaro front, and $98 for the rear... keep shopping around. I think I got the prices from a Chapparral ad in Motorcyclist magazine, then had DennisKirk.com do a price match.

Spud786,

I'm curious about the slipping you had. I'm 170 lbs and do plenty of full throttle 1st gear thru 3rd gear accelerations and only had slippage when coming out of a few turns while still coming out of lean, and usually it was more slip than spin. The bike will always stand up for me before the tire would spin.

My buddy has them on his Kawi ZZR1200 and loves them. He replaced his m. pilot roads with them and says they inspire confidence, turn in easy, and handle great. They remind me of the diablo stradas!

Spud786,

I'm curious about the slipping you had. I'm 170 lbs and do plenty of full throttle 1st gear thru 3rd gear accelerations and only had slippage when coming out of a few turns while still coming out of lean, and usually it was more slip than spin. The bike will always stand up for me before the tire would spin.

I weigh 185,

Traction loss and spinning under straightline accel (I mounted in December), the first day I rode the tire under dry condition, No problem about 100 mile, the next time was under wet conditions and the tire broke loose at about 60 mph on a mild straight accel (definitely not full throttle) , I wrote it off as residue lingering going through some construction area, but it broke loose pretty easy. over the next several thousand mile I had many spins (most below 50 degrees rainy weather) and some on dry road at 70+ degrees. All at times I was bewildered that it broke loose at stupid times it really shouldnt of and no where near full throttle. Last month it took a foreign obstical, so now I'm on a Perrelli, otherwise I'd probably still be riding it, but I'd be willing to try a storm unless this Periili yeilds 7 or 8,000 mile.

But basically the tire would be performing fine and then all of a sudden it would break traction at the most sillyest times.

It was the FZ1 spec'd tire 180/55/17, it was only less than a month old manufactured

i got over 9000 miles out of diablo stradas ... for what it's worth.

put a new set on before an 8000 mile trip... and the rear wasn't quite at the wear bars as i pulled back in the driveway. front had plenty left (it's still on there, as a matter of fact).

I'm going into my second season with Azaro's I still have about 60% tread left. I will never put anything but Avon on my bike. So far around 5500 miles or thats what 11000 KM's.

Snakeman

• Member Contributer
Seems like a decent price through these guys, I'm anxious to try a set.

https://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp?PageA...p;ProdID=391684

This seems to be the best price I have found so far on these. Anyone find a better one?

JoeW (member here) gave me a very comparable price to that (within a few $$$). Give him a shout.

• Member Contributer

I just ordered a set for my F2 wheels. I hope I can get them powdercoated quick, fast, and in a hurry so I don't go nuts waiting.

• Member Contributer
JoeW (member here) gave me a very comparable price to that (within a few $$$). Give him a shout.

grrrr, of course I didn't look just before I ordered them.

at least it was close.

+1.gif

Here's a review from a friend of mine:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=46385

I've had the same problems with the Azaro 46-ST spinning up in the wet, as recently as last week. I dropped the pressure to 34 psi which helped, but I'm rather bemused, as there is still heaps of tread on the tyre. I think it's due to the carcase being stiff so the compound doesn't warm up enough, but the tyre tech reckoned it was more likely to be the tyre absorbing contaminants (road spooge) from the road. I'm hoping my burnout earlier this week helped restore the stickiness of the tyre, but I'm really looking forward to having some Storms fitted. Unfortunately, there's none in stock here as they've been so popular, so I need to be careful as I can't get any for a couple of weeks.

not to doubt you but that seems almost unfeasable. breaking free on a VFR on dry roads?...it just doesnt have that kind of Hp. )))

I agree with ya on the unfeasable , but now you can kinda understand, why I said breaks loose at the sillyest of times, really didnt make alot of sense, sometimes i would be pushing it and it would be doing fine and then some simple straight line accel not even really on the throttle hard at all, it would break loose.

Everybody keeps talking horse power , like I'm burning the throttle at the time, couldnt be further from the truth, thats what I mean by silly, normally it was casual to medium throttle.

Now if you really want to talk about hard throttle use and breaking loose on accel, I've broken loose z4's at 80 mph on dry pavenment dropping two gear and hammering the throttle quickly. But atleast that was understandable cause I was really hammering the throttle.

But its past history now,

"Now if you really want to talk about hard throttle use and breaking loose on accel, I've broken loose z4's at 80 mph on dry pavenment dropping two gear and hammering the throttle quickly. But atleast that was understandable cause I was really hammering the throttle.

But its past history now, "

I just don't see how that is possible on a vfr. I ride my hard and don't see how you could do anything at 80 mph on a vfr that would cause that kind of overwhelming force on a 180 width tire.

• Member Contributer
I just don't see how that is possible on a vfr. I ride my hard and don't see how you could do anything at 80 mph on a vfr that would cause that kind of overwhelming force on a 180 width tire.

I've hammered my 1000R pretty damn hard and never broken the rear tire loose.... in the dry. In fact, shouldn't the bike wheelie before the rear tire spins? That is how the squids do it, right? :beer:

"Now if you really want to talk about hard throttle use and breaking loose on accel, I've broken loose z4's at 80 mph on dry pavenment dropping two gear and hammering the throttle quickly. But atleast that was understandable cause I was really hammering the throttle.

But its past history now, "

Worn Texas chip and seal roads, sometimes dont have perfect traction. When I transfered to North florida a few years back, I noticed the roads there had much better traction than alot of the texas roads i ride. I've been back in Texas for a couple years now

• Member Contributer
Seems like a decent price through these guys, I'm anxious to try a set.

https://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp?PageA...p;ProdID=391684

This seems to be the best price I have found so far on these. Anyone find a better one?

These guys finally got around to shipping my order. I'd give them a D+ for customer service. Had the tires come from SWMototires, they would be here by now.

Ehh, good prices anyway.

Here's a review from a friend of mine:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=46385

I've had the same problems with the Azaro 46-ST spinning up in the wet, as recently as last week. I dropped the pressure to 34 psi which helped, but I'm rather bemused, as there is still heaps of tread on the tyre. I think it's due to the carcase being stiff so the compound doesn't warm up enough, but the tyre tech reckoned it was more likely to be the tyre absorbing contaminants (road spooge) from the road. I'm hoping my burnout earlier this week helped restore the stickiness of the tyre, but I'm really looking forward to having some Storms fitted. Unfortunately, there's none in stock here as they've been so popular, so I need to be careful as I can't get any for a couple of weeks.

I'm guessing that they have a lower Silica content than most newer tires and don't hook up as well, especially in the wet.

I've managed to spin-up every ST tire I every tried way before it reached even half life. Wet grip is as important to me as dry grip as I often get caught in the rain and don't slow much when I do! wink.gif

Seldom do I loose grip or spin-up any of the current Sport tires I run, wet or dry. PP, Diablo, Corsa, etc.

The Diablo is hands down the Best wet tire I've ever run and pretty much the best feedback and confidence inspiring tire too, just don't last as long as the excellent Pilot Power. sad.gif

Archived