How Do You Carry Your Laptop?

Stéphane

• Member Contributer

I am wondering if there is any kind of backpack or something to carry a laptop. My tankbag can hold it, but it's sideways, and I am not entirely impressed with that. It's a small one (13" long X 9" wide X 1" thick)

How do you carry your laptop?

I either wedge it in my tank bag or put it in a backpack strapped to my Givi rack (I don't have the trunk). When I say "wedge" I mean damn near pound the thing in. It's really tight too. The tank bag works but then some should consider the magnets working their magic on the laptop (mine's a magnetic attachment). Since mine is a company provided one, I don't generally worry about it because I'll just say, "I don't know why it doesn't work." :P Your concerns may vary. The backpack strapped to the bike with one of those bungee nets works well too. Then I don't have a seperate bag to worry about when I get to work.

I use a tailpack from this place. I think all they have now is black and yellow... but they work great. I also found a foam/nylon sleeve to keep other junk off the laptop in the tailpack. Not for everyone, but works great for me.

• Member Contributer
I use a tailpack from this place. I think all they have now is black and yellow... but they work great. I also found a foam/nylon sleeve to keep other junk off the laptop in the tailpack. Not for everyone, but works great for me.

Is it the tailpack you posted in this forum?

• Member Contributer

Last year I looked at many different packs to carry my laptop, daily, too and from work.

Check out this site (it's Canadian eh!) http://www.heys.ca/

The specific one I have (in black and grey) is

http://shop.heys.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ePac05

gallery_6587_2693_854.jpg

heys epac, laptop backpack

Really like the isolated and padded laptop section, plus the should straps have some great padding in them; very comfy and keeps it sitting higher on the back.

Great aero shape, strong stitching, lots of different pockets, came with a nifty little lock and an ipod case.

I wore this for over 3200 km last year to the PNW meet in Newport. Kept only clothes in it to keep things

light, but still, after so many miles wearing it, it worked great.

Basically, this is my summer briefcase. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

didit

• Member Contributer
I am wondering if there is any kind of backpack or something to carry a laptop. My tankbag can hold it, but it's sideways, and I am not entirely impressed with that. It's a small one (13" long X 9" wide X 1" thick)

How do you carry your laptop?

I bought a bag from office depot. It is slightly bigger than the laptop and is padded. It has handles and pocket for the PS and whatever other junk I wanna carry.

Then I put this bag in a saddlebag and take off down the road.

My computer is about the same size as yours.

Over 4,000 miles and the laptop still works.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Guys!

I'll make a pit stop at Stapples- The Canadian Home Office) (Motor_Ref) and The Bay - Distributor of heys epac (Didit) to see what they have for "Summer breifcases".

I knew I could find an answer here! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I use a Timbucktu Messenger style lap top case.

Over one shoulder and a wasit band. It holds the lap top and several files all at once. I use it as my everyday bag, and have never had any issues wusung ut on the VFR or any othe rtwo whelled vehical.

You can find them online at REI, but I'm sure that there are other places. Try a bicycle shop of all else fails.

• Member Contributer

What ever bag you use just be careful with pressure points on the screen caused by other stuff in the bag. I had a backpack with a laptop sleeve. It was about 1/4 in padding but I had other stuff in there and used the bungee net to strap er down to the back seat. I now have small teardrop deformities in a couple spots on my screen. They arent real noticeable most of the time, but I wish I would have been more careful. Its a beautiful 17 inch screen and the machine was just a month old when I did it last summer.

• Member Contributer

I have the AXIO Swift. It carries my 17" wide screen HP in a padded pocket made for laptops with no problems. The pack is a hard case and has nice wide shoulder straps that really kicks arse for distributing weight. I have had the pack going on 2 years now and aside from the finish being scratched from common abuse it has shown no signs of wear and I use it daily. Weather proof, made for motorcycling, and I still get people asking about it when I have it on. Worth every penny. :thumbsup:

Check Ebay. It's where I purchased mine.

AXIO

I use a laptop tank bag from Bagster. Perfect solution. It's a bag designed for laptops...ample padding, space, etc. What I like most is that, like all Bagster bags, it attaches using the tank cover using mounting points and not just straps and a magnet.

Downside is that you have to buy the bag AND the tank cover, and it'll take about 3 weeks to get it from a US distributor. :goofy:

I have this one here:

http://www.bagster.com/en/moto/showroomview.php?id=51

I got a givi top box when I bought the bike (45l model). It holds my laptop (14" screen), jacket liner, wet weather gear, spare gloves and lunch.

It's fantastic.

Sean

Is it the tailpack you posted in this forum?

That's the one. My laptop is the same size as yours and the laptop fits perfectly (even with the sleeve on.) I can take pics if you like

• Member Contributer
I got a givi top box when I bought the bike (45l model). It holds my laptop (14" screen), jacket liner, wet weather gear, spare gloves and lunch.

It's fantastic.

Sean

Ya, i have a 36l and a 52 litre and hey both fit my laptop (12"powerbook) in its case from marware. And everyhtnig else i want to bring. dint use the tankbag, the gas tanks are all curved and will exert pressure on the middle of your screen, and could crack it on a hard jounce. And you always have to move it to fill up with gas and i know my tankbag has taken a dive or two while getting gas.

The old Pegaso i had came with the smaller breifcase side cases which fit the damned thing like a glove and held it sideways. was great going to college with that setup.

http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/...PYxQMpkX44XHsgg

a 15" laptop inside of a carrying bag fits perfectly inside the OEM hard luggage.

i have a Crumpler bag to tote the laptop, just open the luggage, pop it in and bob's your uncle you're off to work, school, whatever.

tried the 17" laptop of my spouse, no dice, it would have to go into a backpack.

So I'm guessing I'm the only one that just duct tapes mine to the bike :P What would be cool is to see someone mount it so that you can check VFRD while you ride.

But honestly, I just put it in a lap top sleeve thing in my messenger bag (with a stabilization strap). I'm a courier part time and those bags just are much more convenient than a normal backpack. You have more freedom of motion with your arms the weight feels more balanced, plus its way easier to swing it around and get/put something in the bag moving or not. I always carry my laptop in my bag on standby and so far no problems. It all really depends on what's comfortable for you though. I do recommend getting some type of sleeve with a good amount of padding though and never transport your computer while its on.

• Member Contributer

For starters there are a number of "Swiss Army knife" companies - at least two.) From what I understand, the "Victorinox" company is "the" Swiss Army knife company.

I did a lot of laptop bag esearch for myself. When doing so I determined that money would be no object and that I did not want a hard sided bag. Why money no object? Because my laptop costs 3K. Why worry about a bag that is under 10% of that?

The bag that I went with is the Victorinox Architecture Classic Series: Acropolis - CS2 Business Backpack. It has a lifetime repair warranty. It's laptop suspension system was the most advanced one that I saw. It had the most flexibility with how it connects to your back. It has a quick access pocket for documents on the go. Finally, I like the amount of spaces for files, peripherals, etc.

It does not have a hard side but I suspect that it would survive very well in all but the most serious crashes.

The one big downside to the bag is it's price. It was $250.00.... a lot for this sort of item.

Regardless, if you can get yourself to a place that has them for you to see you should. It's a dynamite bag. I've had mine for over a year and it's the only bag that I've had that has survived as long as it has without a hitch.

Best,

Dan

Archived