Modular Helmets

skuuter

• Member Contributer

We have pretty much only worn "full face" helmets for over 3 years. My wife wears glasses all the time and we got one of the modular (lift-up chin bar type) helmets for her about a year ago. She still wore her full coverage on long trips but liked the mod better on short trips. I started wearing it about 6 months ago to work and started liking it. Since then for about the last 3 months we're both wearing them all the time. I like the "flip-up" visibility at intersections and able to talk to each other without the radios at stops. F/C helmets were rated DOT and Snell, Mods are only DOT. Just wondering if anyone else here uses these or is everyone using Full-Coverage only. Yeah, I know all the "safety" arguments, but I'm still hooked.................................... <_<

Guest vfrrider
We have pretty much only worn "full face" helmets for over 3 years. My wife wears glasses all the time and we got one of the modular (lift-up chin bar type) helmets for her about a year ago. She still wore her full coverage on long trips but liked the mod better on short trips. I started wearing it about 6 months ago to work and started liking it. Since then for about the last 3 months we're both wearing them all the time. I like the "flip-up" visibility at intersections and able to talk to each other without the radios at stops. F/C helmets were rated DOT and Snell, Mods are only DOT. Just wondering if anyone else here uses these or is everyone using Full-Coverage only. Yeah, I know all the "safety" arguments, but I'm still hooked.................................... <_<

Skuuter,

There was a big study a couple of years ago about this by one of the bike mags. It's on the net somewhere.

BTW, Snell approval is by submission only, and the manufacturer's pay for it. :wheel:

But they tested the modulars (HJC Symax, because that's what I wear) passed the Snell tested, it's just never been submitted. It also carries the EEC approval, which is tougher than DOT.

The ONLY thing they can point put, is that the chin bar is polycarbonate, vs. fibergalss for the shell. Other modulars are mostly polycarbonate shell, EXCEPT the Schuberth, which is carbon, expensive and big, but very strong.

I like my Symax, and I wear it, which is the important thing.

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer

Skuuter,

There was a big study a couple of years ago about this by one of the bike mags. It's on the net somewhere.

BTW, Snell approval is by submission only, and the manufacturer's pay for it. :warranty:

But they tested the modulars (HJC Symax, because that's what I wear) passed the Snell tested, it's just never been submitted. It also carries the EEC approval, which is tougher than DOT.

The ONLY thing they can point put, is that the chin bar is polycarbonate, vs. fibergalss for the shell. Other modulars are mostly polycarbonate shell, EXCEPT the Schuberth, which is carbon, expensive and big, but very strong.

I like my Symax, and I wear it, which is the important thing.

Larry

VFRrider

Thanks......my wife has a Fulmer, but has been wanting a HJC. Our local dealer is a Fulmer Direct-Buy and we get them around cost. Has been an important factor so far, but we may go to HJC. Wife seems to have "some" influence in our decision making at times......................... :rolleyes:

I think you mean this: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/...view/index.html

Thanks......my wife has a Fulmer, but has been wanting a HJC. Our local dealer is a Fulmer Direct-Buy and we get them around cost. Has been an important factor so far, but we may go to HJC. Wife seems to have "some" influence in our decision making at times......................... :rolleyes:

I believe current issue of Motorcyclist has a two-page article/review on a variety of modular helmets.

• Member Contributer

Skuuter.

10 system helmets (as we call them) were tested by the dutch and german auto club (ANWB and ADAC) in juli 2006. All had the EC norm approval (ECE-R 22.05).

Tests were conducted on protection (measuring impact energy transmitted), visibility. areodynamics and noise and practical use/features.

No point in scanning the article since yous donot understand duch eh? <_<

The HJC (CL-Max) came in 8th (cost half of what the best cost)

"The HJC scores positive on weight and scratch-resistant visor. Negative is the open underside that causes -in the cold- an unpleasant draft over the face. The open underside also makes it a noise helmet. The visor is not easy to open and the vents donot give much ventilation.

If any of the following are sold in the US, I can post the results:

the 10 10 in sequence:

Schuberth C2

Shoei Syncrotec II (discontinued, replaced by the Multitec)

Nolan N102 Classic C-Norm

BMW Systemhelm 5

Caberg Justisimo

Nexo Modular Comfort

Airoh SV 55G

HJC CL-Max

Vemar VXD Dual EVO

MTR K-10

Having posted earlier, this will be my new helmet come spring....

HPIM3218.jpg

A snug fit and some "seal"at the underside makes a realive quiet helmet...

I picked up a Nolan N102 early last year. It's my first flip front helmet.

I really like being able to flip the front open too, but not a big fan of the fit, on longer trips it just gets too uncomfy for me. So, for longer trips, I've reverted back to wearing my Arai.

I've also noticed the clear shield on the Nolan is starting to yellow... :huh:

Love the Nolan for around town or short trips, and hot weather.

Anything longer and I'm reaching for the Arai and putting my contacts in.

I like the design of the modular helmets, but I'm pretty happy with my full-face HJC. I may eventually upgrade to an HJC carbon. I like Arai and Shoei, too, but it's hard to find them locally in XXL. I don't want to order a helmet that won't fit. I know most places will accept returns/exchanges, but it's still a pain.

• Forum CEO

I have a Nolan x-lite, not concered too much about it being crash worthy since I saw a guy with one on take a total face plant on his bimmer and he got up and smiled afterwards, Helmet was toast but he was fine, little sore in the neck. I have heard about them flipping up on guys, in crashes, and that comes about by not making sure the latch is secure in the first place before riding off! I can tell cause mine whistles when its not fully secure! So its the riders responsiblity to ensure that they lock the latch when flipping it down!

Long trips sure! I rode with it on down to Texas 3000 miles works fine - got caught in a huge down pour, I mean gully washer and it leaked a bit on the inside and it fogged up, but even my arai did that when the rain was that bad! I lost the front vent plate, that pissed me off! Gotta find a new one, it snaps in I guess. replacement visors are half the price of shoei and aria, even cheaper than my scorpion visors! comes with an anti fog insert but its fragile.

• Member Contributer

I've got a HJC, really liked it when I first bought it, still do in alot of ways, but since I got the Icon hooligan I don't seem to wear the hjc anymore, I may in the summer tho, its a little heavier, and quite a bit noisier helmet, but I really like the flip when riding with others, and I'm on the vtx,with the windsield on I can ride with it in the open position up to 50-60 very comfortably, and when its 110 degrees that is a great option!

Skuuter,

I can attest to this:

"The HJC scores positive on weight and scratch-resistant visor. Negative is the open underside that causes -in the cold- an unpleasant draft over the face. The open underside also makes it a noise helmet. The visor is not easy to open and the vents donot give much ventilation.

I where this when I run errands or not pushing my VFR. It does not do well in the cold weather as it fogs up very easy and lets LOTS of cold air in. Other than this, I love the flip up as I have glasses and it makes it so much more convenient.

I've been happy with my Nolan n-com. It is quiet and I like the visor liner that was included. It's a little on the big side, but nothing like the KBC modular I returned in favor of the Nolan. Should be getting the bluetooth system for it from my wife in a few weeks (birthday) or atleast that's MY plan.

• Member Contributer
Skuuter,

I can attest to this:

I where this when I run errands or not pushing my VFR. It does not do well in the cold weather as it fogs up very easy and lets LOTS of cold air in. Other than this, I love the flip up as I have glasses and it makes it so much more convenient.

I even like my Fulmer (have a new one on order)....wear it night/ day/ cold/ hot, etc....doesn't fog and not so much under chin air. They don't fit my wife's face right, but the HJC does. May have to get her one................ :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

It is my understanding (I obviously may be wrong) that most flip-up / modular helmets only carry the DOT / SNELL ratings as 3/4 helmets, not as full face ones. I'm pretty sure the Schuberth was one of the only ones that are actually rated equally as traditional full face ones. They are definately cool but I don't have the $700 for the high end ones so I stuck with the traditional design. Opinions / thoughts / comments?

I read somewhere once about Snell vs DOT approved helmets. Basically the conslusion was that many helmets could pass the DOT test which tested helmet durability at high speed could not sustain impact at low speeds thus causing them to fail the Snell testing. My memories of this article are vaugue and I don't remember where I read it. Has anyone else read anything to this effect? Personally I am more concerned about protection in a high speed impact than I am at a tip over. It seems to me at low speeds your number one priority when coming off is keeping your head off the ground, which is all you really need to worry about at low speeds. At high speeds however you could be thrown and have to dodge trees, telephone poles, gaurd rails, etc. while your body is thrown around like a rag doll, and that is when I want protection.

• Member Contributer

I think they are tested as Full Coverage type..............and sold as such...................... :blink:

• Member Contributer

I've had an HJC cl-max for about 2 years. It's as or maybe even more comfortable than my Arai's (arai head shape). Build quality isn't as nice but at it's price point it's pretty good. I decided to try one after a very experience rider and good friend kept recommending one and later on a trip to Europe/England notice that darn near everyone wore one.

Kinda' like a microwave oven or cell phone, you don't know how convenient a flip-up is until you use one. :thumbsup: Plus, I'm somewhat claustrophobic but would never wear an open face or not wear a helmet.

• Member Contributer

I met an optical engineer out here a couple of months ago. Turns out he's a very interesting and creative guy, rides an R1, and showed up to our group ride this past Sunday wearing his Schubert C2 (his favorite helmet). I know, I know, you're thinking to yourself big deal....

Well, he wears glasses too, and had them attached, suspended from the top AND had a video camera mounted onto the inside of his face shield when he rolled in. I found it a pretty novel setup.

He's a very prolific videographer, too. He's got two very informative videos on the glasses and the camera up on YouTube:

and

It is my understanding (I obviously may be wrong) that most flip-up / modular helmets only carry the DOT / SNELL ratings as 3/4 helmets, not as full face ones.

Yup, I think you're right. There are some 3/4 helmets out there that have Snell ratings (the HJC CL-31 for example), but as a modular helmet (like HJC's CL-Max) they don't carry the Snell rating. To date, no manufacturer has ever submitted a modular helmet to Snell for certification. According to Snell's website: At present the [snell] Foundation has not had the opportunity to test any of the flip up front type helmets for certification. We do not find any fault with these designs as long as they are used according to the manufacturers instructions and meet all of the requirements of the standard.

I read somewhere once about Snell vs DOT approved helmets. Basically the conslusion was that many helmets could pass the DOT test which tested helmet durability at high speed could not sustain impact at low speeds thus causing them to fail the Snell testing. My memories of this article are vaugue and I don't remember where I read it. Has anyone else read anything to this effect?

I think it's the other way around. DOT tests specify lower-energy impacts while Snell tests use higher-energy impacts. It was Motorcyclist magazine that had article, and they found that both DOT-only and Snell helmets performed very well in their tests. The difference they found was that DOT-only helmets were "softer", while Snell certified helmets are stiffer. I placed a URL link to Motorcyclist's article in my previous post in this thread.

• Member Contributer
I think it's the other way around. DOT tests specify lower-energy impacts while Snell tests use higher-energy impacts. It was Motorcyclist magazine that had article, and they found that both DOT-only and Snell helmets performed very well in their tests. The difference they found was that DOT-only helmets were "softer", while Snell certified helmets are stiffer. I placed a URL link to Motorcyclist's article in my previous post in this thread.

I still read "argument" articles in the mags every now and then about which is better for your noggin in reality....the "softer" or "harder" helmets upon impact. Really hard call to make, I guess without personal, real-life testing (not too excited about that program). At least I'm not the only VFRD member that likes this type helmet. I hope none of us test the helmets.....just keep buyin' and usin' em' for the comfort.............................. :thumbsup:

FWIW, I had an Arai Quantum-F for the last 5 years, and last weekend, I picked up a Nolan N102 for about 1/2 the price.

For all that I had heard, my wind noise, comfort level and general neck unhappiness were all much better than the ARAI. Not to mention, the hitherto unheard of cool factor of removable liner's ..

Archived