Easy, Breezy, Beautiful,..

Rivcyko

• Member Contributer

gallery_2922_1722_81409.jpg

100_3632.JPG

Well, I'll start by saying, this is an easy one. You'll need some epoxy, (5min Devcon®, works really well), grill material, tin snips, (or heavy material cutters), and some black or clear silicone.

This mod is reversable, should you come to dislike it, at a later date. I had a different material on, before, but I wanted the same grill material, to match my Bug Buster. This mod WILL NOT cause your bike to run hot. I have found that it helps kee about 70% more road desbris from sticking to the head, block and headders.

In my case, I wanted the grill to point downward, but the material was not large enough. So,.. I wired 2 pieces of it together, end to end. (Seen in areas 2 & 5).

1) Cut your material to size. Be sure it doesn't lap-up onto the boss of the plastic, where the bolts go through. (The fairing will be a pain to put back on the bike, if grill material is on the bosses).

2) Lay the grill on the fairing. and, "epoxy by the numbers", (marked by the green ovals), 1-6. Do each section at a time, NOT all at once.

3) After doing areas 1-6, and the epoxy being set, the area of grill at the top will be protruding. Working from the bottom to the top, of the fairing, suport the edge of the fairing with one hand, and push the grill material out through the openings. This takes a little finessing, and you'll probably have to do it a couple of times, to get it even.

4) At this point the protrusion at the top, (area 7), should be minimal to non exhistant. NOW epoxy this area.

5) This is optional. Marked by the red line, is where I smeared black silicone. You may not want the added weight. I did it to help insure overall adhesion, (in case of a big rock, or something hitting), to dampen any noise or vibration, and to keep from tearing my fingers to ribbons, when removing the fairing.

:thumbsup:

gallery_2922_1722_386506.jpg

grill how to.jpg

gallery_2922_1722_81409.jpg

100_3632.JPG

3) After doing areas 1-6, and the epoxy being set, the area of grill at the top will be pultruding. Working from the bottom to the top, of the fairing, suport the edge of the fairing with one hand, and push the grill material out through the openings. This takes a little finessing, and you'll probably have to do it a couple of times, to get it even.

4) At this point the pultrusion at the top, (area 7), should be minimal to non exhistant. NOW epoxy this area.

gallery_2922_1722_386506.jpg

grill how to.jpg

What the hell is "pultruding " ? :goofy:

• Member Contributer
What the hell is "pultruding " ? :blink:

A typo, that has been corrected. LOL.

Now how are the bugs gonna fry themselves on the manifold?!

Now they have to slow cook against that grill. No more charbroiled insect/small animal smell after riding?

Nice job BTW, Very clean. Looks very OEM!

Are you selling a CF version soon?

Beck

95 VFR

What exactly did you mean by, "push the grill material out through the openings" ?

What sort of mesh is this - stainless, or aluminum?

Oh - great mod, by the way! :thumbsup:

Edited by enzed_viffer

• Member Contributer
What exactly did you mean by, "push the grill material out through the openings" ?

What sort of mesh is this - stainless, or aluminum?

Oh - great mod, by the way! :thumbsup:

Push it through the openings in the fairing, "bowing", it to the front side, of the fairing.

Aluminum, clear anodized.

Thanks!

I did the same thing on the front of my truck. I got the mesh at home depot, basically chicken wire I guess. I painted it black and covered my grill opening so a rock wouldnt take out my a/c condensor. I also made some guards for some fog ligths that turned out well and work good. I was having trouble with breaking lenses and it cured that. This is a great idea and the mesh can be painted or powdered for a custom look. I might do mine now. SWEET.

Where did you get your mesh? Like I said mine was from home depot but it is 4 years old and has not rusted. I also painted it though. If I could get something better , I would get it. Thanks :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Great easy mod that ive been wanting to do for awhile. Where did you get the screening? I've looked and cant find anything suitable. You doing the grill work in the side fairings too?

• Member Contributer
Home Depot sells the stuff as "gutter screens", but they're only four or so inches wide...

We have a winner!. LOL. But it was Lowe's. LOL.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey Trav, I'm starting my track day fairing, and this is a great idea to cover the headlight holes. I'll try to find smaller holes (i.e. more opaque) but it'll be much easier for me.

SG