Magnetic Tank Bag For Daily Commute Use

SeoulMan

• Member Contributer

Out where I live, in Hawaii, there is such a small inventory of retailers that I don't have the opportunity to physically examine any of these bags. So I'd like to solicit comments from those familiar with these bags.

I've listed the URL's in the approximate order of their appeal to me. So if the Manta XL is as good on the bike as it looks in the pictures, I'll have it ordered as soon as I get the nod from you folks. smile.gif

I'm riding as a daily commuter, so this bag will be the grocery, iPod, eye glass case, etc. hauler. My criteria for purchasing a tank bag is it must be a magnetic mount, cost under $100, hopefully fit a plate lunch container :rolleyes: , look visually appealing mounted, and must connect well with the gas tank.

Joe Rocket Manta XL

Cortech Super 12

Nelson-Rigg Large Magnetic

Nelson-Rigg Large Magnetic 2nd vendor

Chase Harper 650 Magnetic

Marsee 8 Liter Mighty Mini

Rapid Transit Recon 19

Firstgear Silverstone Mini

These links may or may not be the best price, as I was shooting for best price and good visuals for the purpose of this thread.

• Member Contributer

Here is your answer. This think if freaking huge and will do anything you want it to. $87.00 at this source.

Link

Buy it now :huh:

gallery_7350_1502_63140.jpg

nowhere MO absolutely no where Missouri

I won a Motopak 35L, three tier magnetic tankbag on ebay for $35! This is an awesome bag although I never use the top tier, except to hook to my motopak GTS90 saddlebags. I would highly recommend their stuff and their customer service is great. Take a look before you spend money on name like joe rocket. It also includes a map pocket and rain pouch. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Motoline! :thumbsup:

gallery_3710_217_94154.jpg

tankbag1.jpg This shows the fastening points below the bag, and the flap's velcro tag for sticking the two flaps together.

gallery_3710_217_160690.jpg

tankbag2.jpg This shows the bag zipped off the base, which has an additional map pocket. The bag then becomes a backpack.

The only two sucky things about it:

If you're dumb enough to put the rain cover on sideways, it flaps about. Strange that....

If you're stupid enough to ride on gravel roads and not check the underneath of the bag before putting it on the tank, and then wiggle it around getting it in "just the right position", it scatches the paint on thetan k. Weird... Who'd a-thunk?

Marsee all the way. You wont find better stuff. The prices are high but it's worth it.

I see that is the older marsee at newenough. That is a steal, I would jump all over that. That is pretty much the same as mine except the magnets. Mine has four one in each corner. It stays put. In the picture in my avatar and gallary the tank bag is on. Be sure to use the strap around the steering neck. I had a little spill with it and it was still on the bike.

I don't have any pics of my motopak but it is very similar to enzed_viffer's bag. I would search ebay for their stuff and do some research on motopak....that is why I chose them. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

I've had great luck with all of Nelson-Riggs stuff, and have a Joe Rocket Manta that I got recently that works great for short/around town trips. I didn't know about the XL model Manta you listed...I might have to check it out. :thumbsup:

I have a mid size motodry which is handy however for making the bike handle better and me moving around I find it gets in the way, as I believe most tank bags do ie not as safe not as fun

tis good to carry around if I am walking unlike the larger soft luggage I own

Now that it has come up I might get a smaller soft bag for my rear rack

I have the Joe Rocket Manta. For daily commuting it works great for me. The magnets stick very well. When I get to the office I just pull it off and take it in with me. I have never added the straps to secure it. On longer trips I use it as I do not like a lot of bulk on the tank in front of me.

Alot of the ones you have listed are rounded off on the top, compared to the Motoline like enzed viffer posted. If you are going to put all the things you listed(groceries), then the more squared off ones work great. Remember, this is just my 2 cents worth(which is actually nothing) :huh:

Reason why, I have a large Held bag that is the square design and I like to put a large folding binder, etc. that wouldn't fit in a more rounded off model.

First off, I don't own one of the bags you are interested in, I won't tell you about my bags because you aren't interested if it isn't on the list.

A comment about the magnets: I have owned several tank bags, they have all stuck well... I wouldn't consider it sticking to the bike as part of your purchase decision... they will likely all stick well.

A comment about the shape: I use two bags (one or the other) mostly, one is big, square and expandable (grocery getter, etc), the other is angled down and rounded (looks a lot better and doesn't get in the way as much... but won't fit more than glove, glasses, and maybe a bottle of water or two.)

Third, I am in Hawaii (oahu), wanna go ride some time? I just moved here, but my VFR will be here sometime next week I think. Email me if you want.

quema at ureach dot com

I've had this Tour Master bag for 3 years and 75,000 miles and couldn't be happier with it. Plenty of room, sticks like glue, has a map pocket, the rain cover works well, the zippers work well, and it's easy to carry. I first tried a Nelson Rigg and found the zippers very difficult to operate.

Payne

• Member Contributer
A comment about the shape: I use two bags (one or the other) mostly, one is big, square and expandable (grocery getter, etc), the other is angled down and rounded (looks a lot better and doesn't get in the way as much... but won't fit more than glove, glasses, and maybe a bottle of water or two.)

I am a 2 bagger also... I have a Joe Rocket Manta (the original one) and it's great for those trips where I need some basics (camera, bottle or water, whatever). Has 2 neat little pockets and at $40 is pretty easy on the wallet.

I also have a Joe Rocket Blaster... about $60, expandable, holds lots of stuff and has a nice map pocket. These 2 bags meet 100% of my needs... I also have a tail bag that could be used for additional hauling(groceries) and a back pack.

So for a Benjamin, you could have 2 bags....

I know your looking for info on a great tank bag but it seems that since most of them turn into backpacks for when your not riding I might also recomend a great back pack (I looked into getting a tank bag but decided that for ease of use around town a back pack would be quicker and more economical). As a daily rider who regularly rides 2 up, a waiter (that requires me to carry my uniform around everywhere), a college student, and someone living in San Francisco where parking is at a premium requiring biking it everywhere (including the grocery store), I can not imagine getting around without my backpack by Burton, it's actually a snowboarding/skateboarding bag that holds all my necessary books, my work uniform and antyhing else I wanna squeeze in it. If you go into any skating shop they'll have multiple brands, sizes, and colors to choose from, but the one key feature to look for is the two click straps on the outside of the bag designed to actually hold snowboards or skateboards. Por ejemplo, lets say your at the grocery store, you need a gallon of milk, a jug of laundry detergent, two rolls of paper towels, and other assorted groceries (frozen pizzas included), no problem. Fill the bag to the bursitn point with goodies, and then just slide those straps through the handles on the jugs and cinch em down around the paper towels and your good to go (I'd like to see most tank bags handle that load). Your out and need to carry your helmet around with you (theft is fairly common in this city, already had one helmet gangked), just do up that chin strap and attach it to the back of the bag. Riding two up and both of you need to carry around a bag of shite for the day, slip the other bag through those straps and the girl on the back can get her stuff around town just as easily as you can. Sorry to make this so long bout something so silly as a bag, but I swear by that bag, it's gotten me out of some sticky situations where my eyes were bigger than my natural ability to get stuff home and those tie down straps on it have saved my arse many a time...

• Member Contributer

I have had a Marsee for 7 years. So far, I haven't needed another bag. I have taken it cross country with just a backback strapped to my ZX-6 and even done weekends away with a pillion with it fully expanded.

It works great, no complaints. I have crashed with it several times. Bag stayed on most times and didn't get damaged. I have a "medium" sized bag. It has a long skinny pocket on each side and a small one right in front. This is very helpful to keep things organized. I basically never ride without it.

After many years, I do notice that it puts light scratches in the paint of the tank. There is probably dirt embedded in it at this point. With a little rubbing compound, the tank looked good as new for a few months so I am not worried.

Good luck.

I'm another dude with the joe rocket manta, non xl... It's decent. Joe rocket stuff, as far as what i've seen, is OK quality, high feature, nice enough looking stuff. The first time I used this one in rain, I was going about 80 in a drizzle for about half an hour when the rain cover flew off never to be seen again. It was pretty awesome because the only stuff I keep in my tank bag are wallet, phone, camera, and ipod (all of which are excellent when it comes to being soaked.)

But when its dry, or on days when you need a tank bag with nothing in it and it's raining, the manta JR is great. it looks good enough to leave on all the time, holds all the stuff my wife an i need for a ride, etc. I'm sure the XL is all this and more.

more info you don't want, because on this board, you get the info you need, and the infor the rest of us want to share:

I just got a courier bag, and like the hell out of it. You look like a dude carrying a purse, because that's what you are with one of these, but it really stays put for all but the most agressive riding styles, holds a hell of a lot, including a laptop, and you can just get off the bike and do what you're wanting to do, no fooling around with the tank bag making things secure, grabbing what you're about to need in the store / office / etc. It's really handy, if you're down with being purse dude.

• Member Contributer

I, too, have the JR Manta bag. It's an awesome little bag. I LOVE it. It is a bit small for lunch though. The XL looks great. I will have to pick up one of those too!

I also have a Marsee which works good too.

I didn't like the Icon, as mine came with lame magnets and if you turn too fast it'll just roll right off!

I, too, have the JR Manta bag. It's an awesome little bag. I LOVE it. It is a bit small for lunch though. The XL looks great. I will have to pick up one of those too!

I also have a Marsee which works good too.

I didn't like the Icon, as mine came with lame magnets and if you turn too fast it'll just roll right off!

I also eyed the Joe Rocket Manta when I was looking for a bag last year but ended up getting a Cortech mini instead, for the extra cargo space. The only thing I didn't like about the Manta was the funny nylon material theat looks like it has a caorse weave pattern, Just looks funny close up and does not feel as tough as regular weave cordura. It almost feels like a heavy polyester jersey.

Beck

95 VFR

Throttlepimp, and Chev,

How long have you had your icon bag? I had an Icon Primer Pack, which is basically the smaller Icon tankbag, and it wasn't the greatest quality. The little pouches around the magnet started to rip. It still works, but it has a tendancy to scratch the tank. I wanted the big Icon bag because I just like the way they look, but I don't want to buy something just to have it break after one year. Generally, the Icon stuff I've bought hasn't been the best.

more info you don't want, because on this board, you get the info you need, and the infor the rest of us want to share:

I just got a courier bag, and like the hell out of it. You look like a dude carrying a purse, because that's what you are with one of these, but it really stays put for all but the most agressive riding styles, holds a hell of a lot, including a laptop, and you can just get off the bike and do what you're wanting to do, no fooling around with the tank bag making things secure, grabbing what you're about to need in the store / office / etc. It's really handy, if you're down with being purse dude.

That's a good idea for riding short distances, but after a while riding with it, it starts to hurt your back, just like riding with a backpack. BTW good courier bags do hold a lot of stuff.

I know this doesn't apply to the original post, but these bags here, are a great deal.

Helen TwoWheels bags

My whole family has a few. They're all totally waterproof, very sturdy, easy to use, and cheap. I would easily compare the quality of these bags to Aerostich.

You won't go wrong with anything that tourmaster makes. I use the 21 liter mag. tankbag all the time when commuting since it holds my lunchbox. Also have their smaller tankbag & the sport tail/saddlebag combo. Very good quality & good zippers. :fing02:

Guest ex TZ tuner

I have a TourMaster Cortech series that I use daily, has never budged an inch even with 30# inside and snapping the bike around. I'll buy another when/if this one dies. BTW, it's 4 years old and isn't showing any signs of wear.

Archived