Magnetic Tank Bag For Daily Commute Use

SeoulMan

• Member Contributer

I have the rapid transit recon bag and it's a really good bag. It has two removeable straps for use as a backpack, and the magnets flaps fold in under the bag. It also has a rain cover thats attached and folds into its own pocket. The magnets are super strong and it has plenty of storage. I'm extremely pleased with this bag and will prolly get another when I wear this one out. Highly recommended.

• Member Contributer

Gotta vote for MotoPak. Best buy for under $100. VFRD members get a slight discount. I got the 20L expandable to 30 and I love it. Used it EVERY day this summer. also I've tried the same tail bag that baileyrock has and it was great.

• Member Contributer
Throttlepimp, and Chev,

How long have you had your icon bag? I had an Icon Primer Pack, which is basically the smaller Icon tankbag, and it wasn't the greatest quality. The little pouches around the magnet started to rip. It still works, but it has a tendancy to scratch the tank. I wanted the big Icon bag because I just like the way they look, but I don't want to buy something just to have it break after one year. Generally, the Icon stuff I've bought hasn't been the best.

I've had mine one season. I got it used for NCPaul back in the spring, but he didn't put much, if any, wear on it. I freaking love it. It will carry three days worth of gear (I do pack light) and if you do not need all that stuff, it collapses out of your way. I like it over a more narrow, but tall bag, since it really doesn't impede my riding (except for a place to rest my head on long rides). I have never turned it into a backpack, but I can see that being usefull. Now, it will resist water, but will not keep it out. You may be able to do some waterproofing, but I just pack accordingly.

As far as build quality? Mine functions as good as it did when new, but I have this friend that uses his as a backpack for school and his is still in good (dirty) shape.

If you put it on the tank fairly tight, I don't think it will come off in anything but an accident.

:fing02:

• Member Contributer

+1.gif for the Cortech sport tail bag...bought it on Baileyrock's recommendation a while back...can't go wrong with that :fing02: Came in handy for the VFRD Fall Dragon Ride...plenty of internal storage space, plus 2 side pockets, a rain cover and 2 internal bungee cords with plastic hooks at both ends. A great buy at $54.00 plus shipping from Newenough.

http://www.newenoughhp.com/tour_master_cor...il_bag_page.htm

I switched to a Tail bag after years of tank bags and like it much better! :fing02:

I think it's a Cortex Sport and converts to a back-pak if desired.

• Member Contributer

Thanks to all for your input and opinions. I discovered several brands which I didn't know existed in the process. Maybe I should have mentioned that I ride almost daily with a small day pack, so the tank bag will either supplement or swap for duties imparted to the backpack.

@ Hobie1dog - Your 2 cents are appreciated here. Thanks! :beer:

@ Quema - You wrote, "I wouldn't consider it sticking to the bike as part of your purchase decision... they will likely all stick well." There's always that one exception though, eh? ;-) I was interested in the Cortech Super Mini Tank Bag, until I tried placing it on my VFR tank. Turns out no contact of magnet to tank metal is even possible. :unsure:

Thanks for the invite to ride! I'm interested and will email you soon. :cool:

@ Baileyrock, achfly and VIPERon - I can't imagine what the attachment points are on the tail bag. Do you use the grab rails, or a strap under the seat, or some other point?

@ Baileyrock - Thanks for the great visual- it looks extremely appealing. A tail bag like that will be the second bag I buy.

Finally, we have a decision: Since no one here owns the Manta XL, since it's at the top of my list, since no one bag [nor brand of bag for that matter] was at the top of yours, and to aid future queries from riders who might be interested, I ordered the Manta XL. :smile:

• Member Contributer
:angry: for the Cortech sport tail bag...bought it on Baileyrock's recommendation a while back...can't go wrong with that :wheel: Came in handy for the VFRD Fall Dragon Ride...plenty of internal storage space, plus 2 side pockets, a rain cover and 2 internal bungee cords with plastic hooks at both ends. A great buy at $54.00 plus shipping from Newenough.

http://www.newenoughhp.com/tour_master_cor...il_bag_page.htm

That Baileyrock forced me to buy one too!!

I had wanted one for a while and when I saw the photo of his newly painted black bike with the tail bag it convinced me to order one.

As far as mounting goes, I took the hooks off and tied the bungee cords together and it just slips over the seat.

• Member Contributer

It appear the bag I have isn't made anymore. If this is so, I may cry. It was carried by motorbags but also identical to a Joe rocket model that has to separate pieces the top one being a backpack. I got the motorbags one for $39 and it is still going strong after 2 1/2 years of almost daily use. I think the joe rocket one was around $70 but I would pay twice that for the usefulness and quality has been great. I can't ride without the tankbag, it's weird to see the tank down there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Thought I'd update my thread to say how nicely the Joe Rocket Manta XL has turned out.

This main compartment is almost ideal for what I originally wanted, and turned out to be a nice compromise when I factor in the rest of the features. The way all three flaps can be tucked away makes carrying it off the bike a pleasure, as does its relatively minor weight. But don't assume the minor weight means the magnets are not powerful- because they bond very firmly.

I can fit two bottles of wine into the main area and still have room for cheese and crackers. That suits my grocery requirement nicely. A pair of size twelve shoes fits easily, too. After living with it for a week I'm very happy with the design, materials, zippers and general value it embodies.

Manta XL pics

Tail bags secured w/ bungees can be extremely dangerous. I've read horror stories of riders going over a bump bouncing the bag up and around to get wedged between the tire & fender causing the rear to lock up. Be sure that its really secure.

I have the Marsee 11litre bag and it seems to me to be of higher quality than others that I looked at. It has the zip on base and is expandable.

Marsee 11 litre

Archived