Tire Repairs

Bikes

This topic comes up in conversations but seldom do I get a sense that riders really know what they should do about the dreaded ... FLAT TIRE out on the highway.

My riding began in an era when we could actually expect to take a wheel off a bike and fix a flat tire. On the BMW's that I owned they came with a built in tire pump and a complete patch kit in the toolbox. I fixed my own tires and I fixed other stranded bikers tires with this stuff. As riders, we came to rely on the abiity to do this repair.

That was then, this is now ... modern tubless tires are better, of that there is no doubt. But they do have a problem in that fixing a tire problem is not an easy task.

SO, I thought why not ask the collective and see what others do about flat tires.

Surprisingly, the most common suggestion given is to get out the cel phone. Well, this is not a solution and to me really suggests that individual has no experience in this matter.

My conclussion is that the only reasonable solution is to use one of the available plug and refill techniques. The plug part seems ok, but I am leery of a claim that a CO2 cartridge, or two can fill a bike tire sufficiently to get back to civilization. But I also lack experience, so ...

this company offers good looking products: Flat Repair Kits

What are all those long distance riders doing to protect themselves from the dreaded Flat Tires out on the Highway

thanks for any input :unsure:

• Member Contributer
This topic comes up in conversations but seldom do I get a sense that riders really know what they should do about the dreaded ... FLAT TIRE out on the highway.

My riding began in an era when we could actually expect to take a wheel off a bike and fix a flat tire. On the BMW's that I owned they came with a built in tire pump and a complete patch kit in the toolbox. I fixed my own tires and I fixed other stranded bikers tires with this stuff. As riders, we came to rely on the abiity to do this repair.

That was then, this is now ... modern tubless tires are better, of that there is no doubt. But they do have a problem in that fixing a tire problem is not an easy task.

SO, I thought why not ask the collective and see what others do about flat tires.

Surprisingly, the most common suggestion given is to get out the cel phone. Well, this is not a solution and to me really suggests that individual has no experience in this matter.

My conclussion is that the only reasonable solution is to use one of the available plug and refill techniques. The plug part seems ok, but I am leery of a claim that a CO2 cartridge, or two can fill a bike tire sufficiently to get back to civilization. But I also lack experience, so ...

this company offers good looking products: Flat Repair Kits

What are all those long distance riders doing to protect themselves from the dreaded Flat Tires out on the Highway

thanks for any input :unsure:

For about $15.00, a trip to wallyworld and a few minmutes, you can but a pump and a patch kit. It helps to take toe plastic off the pump. That makes it a lot smaller to haul around.

Slime makes a fancier one but it is a lot more $$$.

• Member Contributer

actually i take my bicycle pump with me in my tank bag. weighs ounces, is a foot long and the handle folds. takes just a min to top a tire off to 2-up pressure, or 15 min (with breaks) to inflate from flat.

about $15.

• Member Contributer

Although I've never had a flat on my bike, I always carry a can of Fix-a-flat in my car for a time when I'm totally out of communication with civilization and the tire is just dead flat. It would work just as well on the bike, although it does mean the tire can never be properly balanced again (so says my tire guy)

Forget CO2, ya need a bunch of them, they are heavy and if ya need a second plug, yur toast. Either get a small elc pump or a new compact bicycle pump that works on both push and pull strokes. I carried a compressor on my BMW because I changed pressure all the time ride'n road and off road. With the VFR the bicycle pump is the best bet but you will just about wear yurself out pump'm from full empty.

As for plugs don't get the Stop-n-go plug kits. They are easy to put in but also fail easy. I have had three fail, two on my bike and one on another bike we patched. The best are the string type from any auto parts store. Word is the best of the best are called safety Seal Safety Seal web page

I have nut'n to do with Safety Seal and in fact have never used them but many of my fellow riders at Advrider swear by them and these guys ain't about weekend rides, if'n ya know what I mean :D

• Member Contributer

I carry a little 12v compressor and a plug kit in my tank bag. :thumbsup:

I've only had to plug a tire one time. Hopefully, I won't have to again.

• Member Contributer

I use the string type plugs and a foot pump (takes a good 10+ mins of steady pumping from empty). Now that I'm going back to a VTEC with it's limited underseat storage, I'll see if a small dc air compressor will fit after I remove the cover but I'm not counting on it. That may be a tank bag only option due to space considerations.

I've had a string type plug in one of my car tires for the last 25k miles or so. It's a 60k mile tire.

I had never thought of carrying anything for dealing with a flat and lo & behold I picked up a nail last month while miles from anywhere. I had my soft luggage loaded on the back and the bike started feeling like the rear was in sand or something (side to side movement was very mushy). I made it to the next exit and the country store there had a repair kit on the shelf!?!

Long story short, I now travel with a repair kit as part of my underseat tool storage. I'm also adding one of those compact bicycle tire pumps as standard equipment in my soft luggage.

My flat was on a Sunday PM and if the repair kit wasn't available, I would have been SOL until the next morning. Or getting towed at least an hour away.

I checked the air pressure when I stopped and it was still ~32psi. Also the nail was almost smack dab in the middle of the tire. Even more unbelieveably, it was in a tread groove..!

Over 1k miles later and the tire hasn't lost 1lb of pressure. Both rubbers' replacements are on the way due to wear, though.

I would definitely recommend avoiding fix-a-flat. Besides having questionable results (especially for two wheeled situations), it makes an absolute mess of the wheel.

• 3 months later...

Anyone use "Slime" products for roadside tire repairs? I have been checking out their moto kit that come with slime, pump, etc and appears to be very small. I understand that it may or may not be a temp repair depending on who you talk to, but im just looking for ease of use, packability, and being able to get home.

Slime products

Anyone use "Slime" products for roadside tire repairs? I have been checking out their moto kit that come with slime, pump, etc and appears to be very small. I understand that it may or may not be a temp repair depending on who you talk to, but im just looking for ease of use, packability, and being able to get home.

Slime products

Dont waste the time on slime or fixflat, we are talking tubeless tires, they repair very easy with a simple sticky string and some form of inflator whether it be compressor or bike pump.

my last flat on the VFR went perfect, the 4 flats prior to that was on tube type tires, normally I ride it home flat if possible, a 500 lb bike that aint gonna happen.

anyway my tube bike starts shuddering , and has rear flat , fioflat ddint do chit for it, second time fixoflat and c02, almost work but 2 miles down the road flat again. That was 30 dollars worth of stuff which failed, so next flat I didnt have anything, had to call my son and his truck. But that was a 300 lb bike

• Member Contributer

These two products are what I keep with me since I got stranded on a highway when I really needed to be somewhere to say goodbye.

B000ET9SB4.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V57012867_.jpg

Buy from Amazon...

And

B000ET9SAK.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V57012866_.jpg

Buy from Amazon...

I especially like the bit storage in the handle.

• Member Contributer

I have been wondering about this topic myself, the thought of getting caught in Northern Sask. just makes me think it's time to make sure my butt is covered as a cell phone will not do me any good. There has been several threads about this and the one that keeps coming up is the slime products, so I think Santa needs to leave me what CrazyinNYC has recommended once again.

• Member Contributer
I have been wondering about this topic myself, the thought of getting caught in Northern Sask. just makes me think it's time to make sure my butt is covered as a cell phone will not do me any good. There has been several threads about this and the one that keeps coming up is the slime products, so I think Santa needs to leave me what CrazyinNYC has recommended once again.

I would rather walk than put that sticky stuff in my tire.

Now that I have said that, here goes.

I carry a small 12V air pump and a plug kit on my bike because I don't want to spend much time on the side of the road.

Look around at this stuff when you are visiting your local auto parts store. There are several/many types of plug kits. I am sure that any of them is better than nothing. Some pack down pretty small, smaller than the slime stuff pictured. They vary in price. walmart has an air compressor that costs $9.99 and will end up smaller than the slime pump pictured as soon as you remove the plastic. I know this because I have both.

Look around and find out what is out there. You will likely be amazed at what there is and how much difference there is between brands. The most interesting plug kit that I have seen lately has two t-handle tools. One is a reamer. The other is the hook to insert the plug. It also has several plugs and a tube of glue. It fits in a plastic tube that is about 1 inch in diameter and 5 inches long. IIRC, it was $4.00. It is pretty easy to find a place for that on almost any bike.

Slimes website says that you can use the stuff temprarily and have the tire professionally repaired later and that it will remain luquid inisde the tire and can be wipedwashed away or left in the tire and ridden like normal. The small air compressor has been getting good reviews on other sites, but no one mentions the actual "Slime" products pros and cons. Not talking Fix O Flat just the slime.

Anyone use the stuff and if so what were the results.

• Member Contributer
Slimes website says that you can use the stuff temprarily and have the tire professionally repaired later and that it will remain luquid inisde the tire and can be wipedwashed away or left in the tire and ridden like normal. The small air compressor has been getting good reviews on other sites, but no one mentions the actual "Slime" products pros and cons. Not talking Fix O Flat just the slime.

Anyone use the stuff and if so what were the results.

A tire plug kit will do a better job than the Slime tire sealer for any large hole. If you have a very small leak that you can't seem to find, then the tire sealant will work better.

The sealant is heavy and if use a lot if it could easily affect the balance of your tire.

The tire plug kit will pack down to less space than a 16 oz bottle of slime.

I have heard from other members that the reality of cleanup is not quite as easy as the manufacturer suggests (GASP)

• Member Contributer
My riding began in an era when we could actually expect to take a wheel off a bike and fix a flat tire. On the BMW's that I owned they came with a built in tire pump and a complete patch kit in the toolbox.

I picked up BMW repair kit and it worked great.

Slimes website says that you can use the stuff temprarily and have the tire professionally repaired later

I have been told by a variety of folks (dealers and a local Pirelli rep) not to use "Slime" or any similar stuff on the bike.

I had 2 punctures at once last summer on my way home from the PNW meet, and I used a combination of CO2 cartrdiges and a small bike pump to get to the repair shop. You just need a repair kit with the reamer and plugs etc and follow the instructions. The next day I replaced it with a new kit and keep it under the seat of the VFR with the small bike pump. Don't leave home without it.

Also, FWIW, when I was a local dealer recently getting some gear, there was a newer rider practising tire repair/plugging a tire on an old tire at the rear of the shop. A little practice never hurts!

• Member Contributer

I would rather walk than put that sticky stuff in my tire.

Now that I have said that, here goes.

I carry a small 12V air pump and a plug kit on my bike because I don't want to spend much time on the side of the road.

Look around at this stuff when you are visiting your local auto parts store. There are several/many types of plug kits. I am sure that any of them is better than nothing. Some pack down pretty small, smaller than the slime stuff pictured. They vary in price. walmart has an air compressor that costs $9.99 and will end up smaller than the slime pump pictured as soon as you remove the plastic. I know this because I have both.

Look around and find out what is out there. You will likely be amazed at what there is and how muc difference there is between brands. The most interesting plug kit that I have seen lately has two t-handle tools. One is a reamer. The other is the hook to insert the plug. It also has several plugs and a tube of glue. It fits in a plastic tube that is about 1 inch in diameter and 5 inches long. IIRC, it was $4.00. It is pretty easy to find a place for that on almost any bike.

The product I am hoping Santa will bring is the pump and repair kit that CrazyinNYC recommended, not the goop that Slime also makes

I picked up a small repair kit from my local BMW bike shop which includes glue, some dog-bone shaped plugs, and two CO2 bombs.

It takes 4 bombs to fill a 180 rear tire so I picked up some extra ones. It all fits easily under the right side black panel opposite side of the battery.

I keep meaning to get the gun with the plugs that BMW has. Lots easier than trying to mess with the sticky string stuff.

And doesn't need glue, which is good since those little glue tubes always seem to be dried up when you need them. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
I have the mushroom type of patches from "stop n go" but have never used them and not sure if they work very well.

The "Stop & Go" kit works well. I used it to repair a flat when I was on the road. Once I got home I ordered a new rear tire however. Don't want to ride around on a plugged or repaired tire.....not worth the safety risk. Although I know there are those who have ridden plugged tires for hundreds of miles with no problems.

for what it's worth, it takes five or six of those little CO-2 cartridges to fill a rear tire. I recommend carrying a small tire inflator that can be connected to your battery to fill the tire properly. The CO-2 is only to be used until you can refill with air.

Archived