Track Day Heat Help!

Baileyrock

I dug out my F2 track bike over the weekend and went through it for a track day this coming Wed. at Nashville Super Speedway. I'm looking forward to it, but it's suppose to be 100 deg. and sunny and all I have is Non-perforated track suites. :beer:

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can use to help keep cool? Do those under garments that wick away moisture help if air can't get to them. What's out there now a days?

Any thoughts? :blink:

gallery_301_21_55616.jpg

My F2 Track bike !

• Member Contributer

I can't praise underarmors gear enough. I used to wear the cheep walmart knock off's and then spoiled my self to some real UA gear. I have a t-shirt and shorts and they are great. Under my leathers, they wisk the sweat away and keep you quite cool. Expensive but worth the money IMHO. Track bike looks great too, have some fun for me why don't ya, I have to do wedding planning all weekend.

I can't praise underarmors gear enough. I used to wear the cheep walmart knock off's and then spoiled my self to some real UA gear. I have a t-shirt and shorts and they are great. Under my leathers, they wisk the sweat away and keep you quite cool. Expensive but worth the money IMHO. Track bike looks great too, have some fun for me why don't ya, I have to do wedding planning all weekend.

Chris, were is this stuff sold and is it only m/c related ?

Thanks Harold for the offer too! :blink:

• Member Contributer

baileyrock....man when can i take that thing for a spin around the block.......thing looks good to have been dug out!!! Have fun!!!

• Member Contributer

+1 on underarmor. Anything Coolmax is pretty good. My buddy (and riding partner) is the West Coast rep for Buff products (I think they had them on Surviver TV show), which are these helmet liners/neck cooler/do rag/ thingymajigs that are little tubes of Coolmax that you can use in any number of ways. I wet it and wear it around my neck and it keeps me pretty cool, alot more thgan I would have imagined anyway. Not trying to plug, as I of course have no monetary interest or stake, but it is a pretty handy product for a motorcyclist.

I was thinking of asking H-Slammer if he would be interested in getting some cool VFRD ones for himself and members. I can get the insider deal. :thumbsup:

BTW: That bike is too cool!!! :thumbsup:

baileyrock....man when can i take that thing for a spin around the block.......thing looks good to have been dug out!!! Have fun!!!

That's an old picture from before I wadded it up at this same track 2-3 years ago! :beer: The upper and lowers are all in primer now! :blink:

Should be fun! :beer:

• Member Contributer

Most any sporting goods store will have UnderArmor. It isn't motorcycle related, but just sport related. It is top shelf quality. Make sure to get a size that fits skin tight, if it fits loose it won't work.

• Member Contributer

Most sporting goods stores handle UA (Sports Authority, Dicks, etc.) Look for anyplace that provides baseball and/or football (soccer or football) stuff and you should find UA gear.

Most any sporting goods store will have UnderArmor. It isn't motorcycle related, but just sport related. It is top shelf quality. Make sure to get a size that fits skin tight, if it fits loose it won't work.

Like this ???

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.Tex...t=SearchResults

• Member Contributer

Time to buy a leather punch and start perforating. I don't care what you have under them, non-perforated leathers in that heat is going to be REALLY HOT.

You can get coolmax stuff at a Bicycle store.

I would soak my shirt down with water before each session, that helped a little. Still just drink a ton of water also.

• Member Contributer

That's the stuff, Kevin. Bass Pro also has a less expensive version in their Redhead line of clothing. About half the cost of UA. Worked good for me during last hunting season and I was thinking of using it on my upcoming trip.

Time to buy a leather punch and start perforating. I don't care what you have under them, non-perforated leathers in that heat is going to be REALLY HOT.

You are very right on that point! Is it that easy to just punch a bunch of holes in the suit ? I have punch's! :beer:

That's the stuff, Kevin. Bass Pro also has a less expensive version in their Redhead line of clothing. About half the cost of UA. Worked good for me during last hunting season and I was thinking of using it on my upcoming trip.

I talked to BassPro and they carry very little "Hot Gear" stuff, almost all cold weather gear.

Thats the stuff. I got mine from Cabellas. Even in Black, it works pretty well.

While you're doing your track day.....I'll be heading to Laguna. After yesterdays race.........holy cow, we got a show coming up :beer:

Ohhhhh yeaaaaaahhhh!!!! +1.gif :thumbsup:

You can get coolmax stuff at a Bicycle store.

I would soak my shirt down with water before each session, that helped a little. Still just drink a ton of water also.

Good idea, I only have to make 20-30 min. sessions every hour, but i'm old and already hot and I'm sitting in my office! :P

Thats the stuff. I got mine from Cabellas. Even in Black, it works pretty well.

While you're doing your track day.....I'll be heading to Laguna. After yesterdays race.........holy cow, we got a show coming up :beer:

Man, that was a killer race, I still have adrenaline running in me just from watching!!! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
You are very right on that point! Is it that easy to just punch a bunch of holes in the suit ? I have punch's! :beer:

It's just that easy. Try not to put holes in impact zones, but you can start punching away at the chest, abdomen and upper thigh areas.

You could be neat by marking a patern with a ruler and pencil. Be sure and place a cutting board or something solid behind the front panel so your punch doesn't go all the way thru the back of the suit.

• Member Contributer

UA cool gear is the stuff you want, I use the short sleeve shirt and mid thigh short, both in white. I got them on sale as a combo for about $45 from champs sporting goods.

• Member Contributer
Make sure to get a size that fits skin tight, if it fits loose it won't work.

I use the UA Loose Gear shirts and they work great, also. I tried the tight ones, and I felt like someone was bear hugging me all day (and I couldn't fight 'em off ). I just found some silmilar shirts at Old Navy that are pretty close to the Under Armor stuff, and only cost $8 ea. Either way, once you wear one you'll never go back to wearing a cotton t-shirt for sweaty stuff.

• Member Contributer

Capilene made by Patagonia. Soak it in water first. Under leathers, I wouldn't think so but then it's going to get wet with sweat anyway, so why not.

Or, flip flops, an old sleeveless T shirt, and some cutoffs might be cooler provided you take the sunscreen. On second thought, don't, we still need you as a moderator to control us. An icebox of beer for the downtime might be refreshing too. Aw nevermind.... :beer:

It's just that easy. Try not to put holes in impact zones, but you can start punching away at the chest, abdomen and upper thigh areas.

You could be neat by marking a patern with a ruler and pencil. Be sure and place a cutting board or something solid behind the front panel so your punch doesn't go all the way thru the back of the suit.

Might be punching away tomorrow! :thumbsup:

UA cool gear is the stuff you want, I use the short sleeve shirt and mid thigh short, both in white. I got them on sale as a combo for about $45 from champs sporting goods.

I picked some up tonight, same shorts but got the long sleeve shirt. Paid $85 though! :beer:

• Member Contributer

It looks like you have the idea on how to stay cool as far as clothing goes.

Do you have a pop-up canopy so you and the bike can catch some shade? I've seen cheap ones at a grocery for as little as $50 or 100. Don't forget lawn chairs, too.

We I got busy with a punch on my leathers(top) doing a home made perforation job. Spent about an hour on the jacket and if you can't tell used Peg Board as a hole chart. :beer:

Fairly large holes and should help flow some air for tomorrows 100 deg. track day.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guy! +1.gif

gallery_301_21_126850.jpg

self perf leathers 001.jpg

gallery_301_21_278769.jpg

self perf leathers 002.jpg

What the heck is going on here... You're going to a track and don't call me?? Whats the info on the track day organizers, cost, etc..... I've got some comp time coming... I could be there tonight!!! smile.gif

I have to extract revenge on that f'n place sometime...

At least now, I know what NOT to do! :P

It's all pretty now, too:

IMG_0260.jpg

little better than:

thepicture.jpg

Archived