(Mercedes?) electric waterpump, art.nr. ?

Guest vfroem

Question

Guest vfroem

Maybe someone :idea3: on the forum can help me :wheel: ??

To get the last few ponies I will try an electric waterpump.

I got the idea from Durbahn, he has a picture of the pump on his website (www.durbahn.de)

I already contacted Durbahn but he bought his pump about 11 years ago... (still working!) He did not know excatly what pump it is (Bosch AAP 800 ?).

The pump needs to be small, light, 12 Volt and has to do about 800 Liter per Hour.

Mercedes Benz seems to use the pump I need.

Anyone who knows the art. nr. of the pump I need ?

See pic:

gallery_668_420_23933.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

el.waterpomp.01.jpg

gallery_668_420_11960.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

el.waterpomp.02.jpg

Water injection, Is it just a matter of squirting water into the intake charge? Any other engineering considerations? any special spray heads invovled?. I'm just weary of spraying a non compressible substance into a combustion chamber. There must be some proper atomization/gallonage rates required to make it work properly.

Beck

95 VFR

Water injection, Is it just a matter of squirting water into the intake charge? Any other engineering considerations? any special spray heads invovled?. I'm just weary of spraying a non compressible substance into a combustion chamber. There must be some proper atomization/gallonage rates required to make it work properly.

Beck

95 VFR

Coolant circulation pump, nothing at all to do with water injection.

According to what I've read, many items which have historically been engine-driven will soon be electrically driven. That includes water pumps and air conditioning compressers. Cooling fans have been electric for many years, and electrically driven power steering is becoming common. The reason for all this is to improve efficiency since these devices operate efficiently over a narrower speed range than the speeds at which the engine runs. There are plans to increase the voltage of the electrical system on cars to 42 volts (3 x 14) to provide the additional power. The generator will be built into the flywheel, be much more efficient than current generators, and also operate as starter.

Most of this is not applicable to motorcycles, with the possible exception of an electrically driven water pump.

• Member Contributer

I had a 12 volt water pump from 'Vortex' in germany. I used it on my solar water heater. The pump was powered by a solar panel to circulate the water (solar water heater panels were on the same level as the storage tank) so the pump ran just when needed.

They made several different pumps. Mine lasted for many years; had to fit new brushes once.

There are several ready sources for what your after - here are a couple.

Meziere makes almost anything you could want in a remote water pump. Here is a link to their website. http://www.meziere.com/index.php?pgName=catalog check out the pages for inline pumps. I know that Jegs and Summit carry at least part of the line.

Dedenbear also has an excellent in line pump for small motor applications. Here is the one we use for a 1.6L turbo. http://www.dedenbear.com/TXTwp.htm#WP3 This pump is also available through Summit Racing or Jegs.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

the Prius uses an electric a/c compressor... electric stuff makes me nervous... an engine driven water pump will start to leak, and you can notice that. electric strikes me as just quitting when i need it most...

i dought they would make a/c compressors driven electrically on a car.that would take a huge amount of power.

BUMP-

Nice to see other people have been doing this. I was looking at mine tonight to see if I can add an electric pump. I found the perfect kit for you (and me).

http://www.thinkauto.com/waterpumps.htm

smallpump.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

It has the power you need and looks really similar.

Performance Flow 175gals(UK) per hour, 13.3 litres per min @ 0.1 bar

Max pressure 0.15 bar 1.1psi. Temp -40oCto +135oC

Max current 1.3 amps. Motor life 15,000 hrs @ 80oC

Dimensions Weight 260 grams (1.2lbs) Hose size

Overall length 4.5",117mm. Diameter 3", 76mm

Looks like you can also get a kit to eliminate the thermostat!

ewpcontrol.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Good find, Beau. That works out to 798 litres/hour, pretty much what VFROEM specified.

The thermostat eliminator looks pretty trick.

Nice !

Last week I bought an electric pump (Bosch), I paid 115 euro for it incl. 19% VAT.

12.5 litres per min.

Let me know your results after fitting your kit.

BUMP-

Nice to see other people have been doing this. I was looking at mine tonight to see if I can add an electric pump. I found the perfect kit for you (and me).

Max pressure 0.15 bar 1.1psi. Temp -40oCto +135oC

Max current 1.3 amps. Motor life 15,000 hrs @ 80oC

Dimensions Weight 260 grams (1.2lbs) Hose size

Overall length 4.5",117mm. Diameter 3", 76mm

Looks like you can also get a kit to eliminate the thermostat!

i dought they would make a/c compressors driven electrically on a car.that would take a huge amount of power.

It takes less power from the engine since it can be running at the optimal speed at all times to maximize efficiency. Of course it takes more ELECTRICAL power but with higher voltage electrical systems, there is sufficient power.

Consider that an a/c compressor has to have adequate capacity to cool the car when the engine is idling at perhaps 500 rpm. That means that when the car is cruising at 2500 rpm on the highway or running at 5000+ rpm during rapid acceleration, the compressor is running much too fast and is therefore inefficient. Also, if directly driven from the engine, its speed cannot be controlled to meet actual cooling requirements. When electrical driven, its speed can be controlled to provide only the capacity required at that instant thereby maximizing efficienty. There are electric motors and generators available that operate at > 90% efficiency, so the electrical efficiency isn't a problem.

Regarding the 12 volt water pump with brushes, that sounds like a design that is not up to date. Electric radiator fans haven't had brushes for years and a more modern 12 volt water pump wouldn't have brushes either.

I suppose that an electric water pump would be more likely to fail suddenly without warning, but bearings on mechanically driven pumps have been known to fail suddenly too. And probably an electric water pump would be easier to replace if it did fail. Still, I can see why one might feel safer with a mechanically driven pump.

Curious if anyone had tried one of these electric pumps? the one with the 'thermostat eliminator' looks specifically vfr friendly...

Yes, works perfect:

gallery_668_420_127672.jpg

S7000252.JPG

Curious if anyone had tried one of these electric pumps? the one with the 'thermostat eliminator' looks specifically vfr friendly...

Yes, works perfect:

gallery_668_420_127672.jpg

S7000252.JPG

Where's the drool smiley dammit! :thumbsup:

ANYONE handy with math equations??

The stock waterpump can't use more than ONE horsepower!!

My reasons for an electrical waterpump:

-less rotating mass.

-no radiator fan needed; more room for my rads

-less weight; removing mechanical waterpump, no fan

-better cooling; waterflow at higer speed

-waterflow always the same speed (also good flow at low rpm)

-quicker revving engine / gas respons

-probably small performance gain

Every small car waterpump can be used. Saab; mercedes, VW.

I went to a car parts wholesaler and made a choice from the several offered items.

Bought a Bosch item which is used in various cars.

I now have an EWP80 pump - not fitted yet. The pump is the latest version with the new seals. It may end up on one of my cars, however...

• Member Contributer
-no radiator fan needed; more room for my rads

I agree with all your points, except for this one.

Why no radiator fan?

how come?

and what car would you put it in? i was thinking of getting one for my future FE3 (mazda) powered locost build.

where did u get your parts from?

Ebay... 80l/min pump here:

http://cgi.ebay.com....1QQcmdZViewItem

You can get the electronic controller there too.

It probably won't end up going into the car - the replacement waterpump for the car in question (Holden Commodore, similar to Aussie Pontiac GTO/Monaro) is only $100 for the part. But I've already spent too much money lately and I have three car regos due right now sad.gif We'll see. But they apparently work well in cars, the only bad reviews I've seen have been where people have fitted them to Chev Gen3s, and considering the EWP80 is rated to 5 litres I can see why they did not work - a Gen3/4 needs an EWP110.

Archived