Hard Bags or Soft Bags?

aks801

You know, I just don't see that many VFRs with hard side bags. Is it a popular way to go or not? I see a VFR at the fitness club by my office all the time, and he has hard side bags and a top trunk. It looks like a good setup, but they do kind of dominate the appearance of the bike. Maybe aesthetics shouldn't be the primary deciding factor, especially for a touring setup, but let's face it: many motorcycle decisions (in fact a lot of decisions period) are based on emotional considerations.

Those I know who have hard bags sure seem to swear by them. I guess I like a more minimalist approach.

Any takes on what the prevailing wisdom seems to be for a sport touring setup?

alan

P.S. Dang I need to get a bike soon!

You know, I just don't see that many VFRs with hard side bags.  Is it a popular way to go or not?  I see a VFR at the fitness club by my office all the time, and he has hard side bags and a top trunk.  It looks like a good setup, but they do kind of dominate the appearance of the bike.  Maybe aesthetics shouldn't be the primary deciding factor, especially for a touring setup, but let's face it: many motorcycle decisions (in fact a lot of decisions period) are based on emotional considerations.

Those I know who have hard bags sure seem to swear by them.  I guess I like a more minimalist approach.

alan

P.S.  Dang I need to get a bike soon!

It all depends on your application. I want to ride cross-country, so I bought the hard bags, because they are secure, lockable, totally waterproof, and spacious. If I was only planning for weekends, I probably would have gone with less expensive soft bags, especially if only toting clothes. I'm carrying expensive farkles and such, so I want them protected.

• Member Contributer
You know, I just don't see that many VFRs with hard side bags.  Is it a popular way to go or not?  I see a VFR at the fitness club by my office all the time, and he has hard side bags and a top trunk.  It looks like a good setup, but they do kind of dominate the appearance of the bike.  Maybe aesthetics shouldn't be the primary deciding factor, especially for a touring setup, but let's face it: many motorcycle decisions (in fact a lot of decisions period) are based on emotional considerations.

Those I know who have hard bags sure seem to swear by them.  I guess I like a more minimalist approach.

alan

I've got the hard bags, plus a Rocket Locker tail bag. I commute to work a lot, and I carry a soft computer bag (in lieu of briefcase) in one bag and my small gym bag in the other. I keep my bike gear in the tail bag (rain jacket, tire repair kit, pump, etc.). I also do some overnight trips, so I like having the roomy (and waterproof!) hard bags. The look took some getting used to, but the cases don't seem to affect the ride, and I really like the convenience! :D

Ride safe! :thumbsup:

Brett

Guest Wingspan

I've toured with softbags on previous bikes, and now have hard luggage on my VFR. IMO, hard bags are the way to go. No worries about leaks, better security, more room...the hard bags win all the way around. While they do detract from the sporty look of the bike, so do soft bags. IMO, soft bags always look cobbled together and gerry-rigged. smile.gif

My Givi's go on and come off in about 5 seconds. If I really want a clean look, the rack can be removed in less than 10 minutes. Easy as pie.

Givi%20063.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Guest Hootie

alan

Got an '05 VFR with the GIVI 52 liter topcase set up. The topcase is BIG, but it swallows up just about anything I need for my 80 mile round trip commute (I carry a backpack with laptop, files, shoes, etc.).

Once at work I pull the backpack out and place my full-face helmet inside for secure storage (and less to carry into the office). It is waterproof and fully secure. Looks are in the beholder, but I think it looks great as the silver case matches the silver bike quite well - looks like an integrated setup, IMHO.

Good luck.

Hootie

I bought my new VFR ABS on 15 April, with the optional hard bags. However, I didn't get the top case. It looked to me as though, because it was very high and far back, it could disturb the handling of the bike. Also, I figured that it would create problems in crosswinds. If a top case had been available to fit directly over the back of the seat, allowing only enough room to remove the seat easily, I'd have got it.

I have yet to use the bags, but got them for touring.

I just closed a great deal on a set of GIVI 360's that I'll be putting on my '00. I admit I was concerned about the look as well but the upsides of hard luggage and the great price made me do it.

I've used MotoPak GTS-90's with great success on several trips from PA down to Deal's Gap and they've worked great.

However, I would like to be able to ride to the train station and lock up my gear without wearing/hauling it in to the city, so the lockable bags make that a reality.

Now I need recommendations on a mounting brackets - thoughts anyone?!

- Brian

I got the full set of factory hard bags for my 2005, but find that I seldom use the big tail trunk. The panniers will swallow quite a lot of stuff and the trunk DOES affect the way the bike handles. It's a subjective thing, of course, but I also think that the mounting bracket for the trunk looks like sh** when it's not being used. I considered removing it, but decided to buy a second bike instead....lol.

The VFR is for sport touring and the new bike will be for short little blasts and the occasional track day.

By the way, I also bought the soft luggage that is designed to fit inside of the hard bags and I find it quite handy....

• 8 months later...
I've toured with softbags on previous bikes, and now have hard luggage on my VFR. IMO, hard bags are the way to go. No worries about leaks, better security, more room...the hard bags win all the way around. While they do detract from the sporty look of the bike, so do soft bags. IMO, soft bags always look cobbled together and gerry-rigged. smile.gif

My Givi's go on and come off in about 5 seconds. If I really want a clean look, the rack can be removed in less than 10 minutes. Easy as pie.

Givi%20063.jpg

What givi bags are those, and how are they mounted?

You know, I just don't see that many VFRs with hard side bags. Is it a popular way to go or not? I see a VFR at the fitness club by my office all the time, and he has hard side bags and a top trunk. It looks like a good setup, but they do kind of dominate the appearance of the bike. Maybe aesthetics shouldn't be the primary deciding factor, especially for a touring setup, but let's face it: many motorcycle decisions (in fact a lot of decisions period) are based on emotional considerations.

Don't forget, emotions aren't the only driving force in decisions. You forgot about monetary consideration.

Hard bags are perhaps the utlimate sport-touring assessory, but they are also very expensive. Soft bags on the other hand are quite a bit cheaper and perform very well.

Total cost for my hard bags and top-box (including inner bag liners) was about $1060. :o

gallery_4208_389_237992.jpg

My 2003 did not have any bags whatsoever except for a tank bag. My new 2006 has the factory color matched Givi's and I love em. I can take em off lickity split and the mounting rack is not very offensive to the eyes. No worries about leaks, and theft that you have with the soft luggage. When I bought them I was not sure if I would like them but once I got em on and used them I can't believe I went without. I just leave them on and everyone expescially the BMW crowd always wants to check the VFR out because they are not sure what it is and they really like the locking/handle mechanism. I ride alot with my wife who rides a Ninja 650 so I end up taking her gear on rides in my bags. We do alot of day trips and it's nice to take shorts and flip flops and change once we reach our destination, find a bathroom change and lock all our gear in the hard bags and just walk away, although I never go to far from the VFR :thumbsup: . I also purchased a Xena disk lock with the 120 decible alarm, so I know if anyone is messing with the VFR. It also lets you know if anyone is sitting on it (pesky kids) or trying to move it.

gallery_5657_2419_358049.jpg

Glamor shot 2 Here is a second pic

• Member Contributer

I had a set of softside bags on the SV and got a lot of use from them. I found fault very quickly and vowed that my next bike would have matching hard luggage. Expensive, yes... yet worth every penny!

Downsides to soft luggage:

A ) lack of security

B ) not waterproof

C ) tends to have smaller storage space

D ) scratches & scuffs the bike (no matter what they tell you!)

E ) takes a slightly longer time to remove and install

F ) can't get them color-matched like a set of hard bags

G )

One last sidenote: while in the FL keys last May, I lost my footing in some gravel (while parking) and the bike slowly tipped over. The hardbag held strong and only received a few scratches; that small "sacrifice" saved the rest of the bike! Without the bags, I would have had a scratched (& possibly cracked) fairing. I know a guy that can repaint that hardbag for under $50. Much cheaper repair!

BTW - I still have a softside (courtech mini) tankbag and a soft courtech sport tailpak when I need the extra space. :-)

• Member Contributer

I run the GIVI small (30 ltr top, 21 ltr sides) hard cases on my 06. Don't, IMO, clutter and hide the bike so much, and helps with the temptation to "carry everything but the kitchen sink" when you pack for a trip....................... :thumbsup:

I got the Givi Hard Bag setup also. Wouldn't trade it for anything. I thought about getting the soft bags but figured if I take anymore long trips, I wouldn't have to worry about rain. I keep my top case on there all the time now. These work great for me.

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00022-2.jpg

• Member Contributer

Before I bought the VFR I had my R6 and I bought soft bags for daily commuting. Security was always a concern and stopping to pull out the weather proof covers when it started to rain was a pain but they were the only real option I had for the R6. One of the first things I started investigating was hard cases after I picked up the VFR. Yes, looks are important but the ability to drive through anything without having to stop and not have to worry about someone just opening up my baggage and helping themselves made up my mind. For Christmas I got a Givi V46 from the family and should be getting the mounting kit in today. Since the case is removable I can take it off for daily runs without problem and have it ready to go when I do 2 ups for nice rides where we can lock up our gear and enjoy the scenery unladen (I have a 120dB motion sensor alarm to warn away the too curious wink.gif ). Now I just need to work on the side cases for my birthday. :salesman:

Did I mention the fact that it can be used as a backrest for your passenger? That was also a consideration in purchasing the top case for me because I wanted my girlfriend to feel a little more secure back there. That and the optional tail light kit which adds a little more piece of mind for me knowing my brake light is right at the driver's eye level.

So for me the deciding factor were the looks of the case, weather proofing, security, capacity, and flexibility of the setup. More expensive yes, but as usual you get what you pay for.

• Member Contributer

I have some Joe Rocket soft bags I got for 80 bucks off Ebay. Pretty cheap. They work great if you only intend to do a few overnighters every now and then. Usually when I ride it is day trips, so I have no need for hard luggage. I use a net between the bags and throw my backpack on there for longer trips.

For the price you can't beat them. HOWEVER, they are cheap, will scratch your paint (notice in rear pic I cut some sweatshirt material for protection), and are not as secure (although a cable lock works well with them). They are what they are, cheap but useable! The Cortech soft bags seem to be much better quality and I wish I would have bought those.

That said, I'd love to have a setup like Wingspan!!! That looks killer. But, suspension will come first for me! :goofy:

JRBagsRear.jpg

JRBags2.jpg

I hope Trace doesn't come kick my ass when he sees my garage!! Anyone need a couch?? Some boxes? LOL!!

For commuting and touring, hard bags are hard to beat. I had soft on the VTR which was fine since I didn't do a lot of trip on it, but the VFR gets ridden a lot more in "questionable" weather. Having a rain suit and waterproof luggage is nice. I didn't like how wide the Givi's made the bike though, so I opted for the Corbin's. There isn't quite as much room, but I do have a Givi trunk for trips when needed. Overall, it is a good compromise between looks and function.

gallery_1859_551_248986.jpg

For commuting and touring, hard bags are hard to beat. I had soft on the VTR which was fine since I didn't do a lot of trip on it, but the VFR gets ridden a lot more in "questionable" weather. Having a rain suit and waterproof luggage is nice. I didn't like how wide the Givi's made the bike though, so I opted for the Corbin's. There isn't quite as much room, but I do have a Givi trunk for trips when needed. Overall, it is a good compromise between looks and function.

gallery_1859_551_248986.jpg

I love the Cobrin BBags for 5th gens. I like the fitted look that went with. The first time I saw 'jstanwoods' i thought they looked horrible, but after the weekend they grew on me. They just fit so close in, kinda molded with the bike. My $.02

• Member Contributer

One last sidenote: while in the FL keys last May, I lost my footing in some gravel (while parking) and the bike slowly tipped over. The hardbag held strong and only received a few scratches; that small "sacrifice" saved the rest of the bike! Without the bags, I would have had a scratched (& possibly cracked) fairing. I know a guy that can repaint that hardbag for under $50. Much cheaper repair!

BTW - I still have a softside (courtech mini) tankbag and a soft courtech sport tailpak when I need the extra space. :-)

I have the soft saddlebags/tailbag from Cortech and they have worked for me. If I had the $$, I would get the hardstuff. As another sidenote I have to believe that dropping the bike with soft bags (yes I have done that toooo) is a better experience. No repainting at all!

med_gallery_2144_2004_358038.jpg

• Member Contributer
I love the Cobrin BBags for 5th gens. I like the fitted look that went with. The first time I saw 'jstanwoods' i thought they looked horrible, but after the weekend they grew on me. They just fit so close in, kinda molded with the bike. My $.02

I didn't like the Corbins at first, either, but they grew on me. They are so convenient! I still take them off for local riding, though. They make my butt look big.

I am concerned there's going to be nowhere to mount the remote res. on my new shock with the bags, though. sad.gif

Once nice thing about the form-fitting Corbins is they don't drag in the corners like yours did, Jason! :D

gallery_4940_2459_44357.jpg

I am concerned there's going to be nowhere to mount the remote res. on my new shock with the bags, though. sad.gif

Oh, good point. I have a new shock coming as well and already have the Powerlet outlet off the passenger peg. Hope there's room. :goofy:

I didn't like the Corbins at first, either, but they grew on me. They are so convenient! I still take them off for local riding, though. They make my butt look big.

Once nice thing about the form-fitting Corbins is they don't drag in the corners like yours did, Jason! :D

gallery_4940_2459_44357.jpg

Yeah warning if you are thinking of getting hard bags and ride exceptionally hard, when they hit the ground around corners, you do loose traction with the rear tire, luckily I got traction back before I went off the road. Wouldn't trade them for anything but I take them off when riding hard now =P

Scrap from drag at Deal's Gap

DSC00014-3.jpg

I love the look, function, and ease of hardbags.....with that being said I own a 5th gen so Givi is really the only option. I don't use my softbags enough to justify the hard ones.....however if given the chance on a 6gen or other bike I would buy the OEM bags.....well worth it!

Now.....I bought Motopak GTS90. They are awesome, very rain resistant, sturdy, and look great on my vfr. Also their customer service is #2 only to new enough:-)

I highly recommned the Motopak GTS60 or GTS90 (slightly bigger) Good luck!

WINGSPAN any pics with the Givi's removed? My buddy has the same Givi's on his ZZR1200 and they are awesome....and I'd agree with your comments 100%. His look stealth with the bags removed but the bags stick out very wide from his Kawi. Also how much was your Givi's with the hardware and brackets? Looks good!

Hard bags arent in the budget anytime soon for me.

I'd really like to see some mounted soft luggage pics. Is there a reasonable way to overcome the scratchin issue w/ softies? I could easily overcome the waterproof issue by ziploc'ing the stuff I need kept dry.

Archived