What is the best type of tire plug?

SEBSPEED

Rope style, cone shaped, or mushroom? I would think the mushroom style would stay in there better, but what do I know? I've never had to use'em! I am in the market, though, so TIA for replies!

Are you looking to repair an existing flat, or to have in case of emergency?

I used a rope style as a temporary fix to get me home from a trip. No issues, but I bought a new tire asap.

Don't want to risk leak or blow-out.

Plugs are OK for cars (couple of extra wheels), but not cool for bikes in my opinion.

see ya -- Jeff

The mushroom type, if applied properly, are good for permanent repairs, as long as they are not in the sidewall of the tyre.

Rope type are for temporary repairs only, but may last indefinitely depending on the nature of the puncture and how well the repair was done.

Never use a rope type for a motorcycle tire, unless it is an emergency. The witches hat type work (from what I have been scolded), but my preference it to replace the tire and be safe.

If the tire is stay'n on the bike for the repair, the string/glue type are best and can last the life of the tire. Ya, I know; most folks in this country will tell ya to get a new tire. You did not ask if ya should ride a patched tire so I will not go there.

The worst are are the Tire-Plugger mushroom type. They use no glue and depending on where they are in the tire the steel belts on the tire will cut the mushroom stalk in not to many miles and the head will fall into the tire...Yes, I know this from experience on my own bike and ride'n with others who have lost theirs. There are folks that have had them last for many miles but that clearly is not always the case.

The string type are sold at all auto parts stores.

If the tire is stay'n on the bike for the repair, the string/glue type are best and can last the life of the tire.  Ya, I know; most folks in this country will tell ya to get a new tire.  You did not ask if ya should ride a patched tire so I will not go there. 

The worst are are the Tire-Plugger mushroom type.  They use no glue and depending on where they are in the tire the steel belts on the tire will cut the mushroom stalk in not to many miles and the head will fall into the tire...Yes, I know this from experience on my own bike and ride'n with others who have lost theirs.  There are folks that have had them last for many miles but that clearly is not always the case.

The string type are sold at all auto parts stores.

Hah! The Stop-n-Go Tire Plugger is the one I was looking at! This will be for emegency situation, but I will be on a loonngg trip, and need the repair to last as long as possible. I will be carrying a small bicycle hand pump, and need to make up my mind on a type of 'filler'. I didn't like the rope-type at all from looking at it, and the cone shape looks like it may give out and 'pop out' of the tire while riding?

God I love this forum and the speedy helpful people in it! i'm gonna have to donate again! :blink:

I don't know if I've got my terminology right; I thought the mushroom type had a flat 'cap' that was glued inside the tyre carcase as a patch, and had a 'stalk' which protruded down throughthe cleaned-up puncture to fill the hole. This type, which can only be applied by removing or partially removing the tyre, should be good for the life of the tyre.

If this type of repair, used to permanently or semi-permanently repair a small, straightforweard puncture is not the mushroom type, then I apologise.

I've had several tyres- including a barely scrubbed-in one - repaired like this with no problems, subsequent leaks, blowouts or problems of any kind. Of course, this anecdotal evidence does not prove that this kind of repair is safe in all cases, but as far as I know it is an approved and appropriate way to repair a punctured tyre.

• Member Contributer

I have been in auto repair for 28 years ( I really need a life) and have used many repairs over the years. These are without a doubt the best and safest repair when properly applied. You will also notice they do say that these repairs work on bikes. http://www.techtirerepairs.com/catalog/index.htm

I don't know if I've got my terminology right; I thought the mushroom type had a flat 'cap' that was glued inside the tyre carcase as a patch, and had a 'stalk' which protruded down throughthe cleaned-up puncture to fill the hole. This type, which can only be applied by removing or partially removing the tyre, should be good for the life of the tyre.

If this type of repair, used to permanently or semi-permanently repair a small, straightforweard puncture is not the mushroom type, then I apologise.

I've had several tyres- including a barely scrubbed-in one - repaired like this with no problems, subsequent leaks, blowouts or problems of any kind. Of course, this anecdotal evidence does not prove that this kind of repair is safe in all cases, but as far as I know it is an approved and appropriate way to repair a punctured tyre.

The type I was looking at look just like a mushroom with a straight trunk, and are insalled using a 'gun' that looks like a rivet puller. Here is a link:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_cata...myId=#altImages

I tried pasting just the enlarged image, but it won't let me, so click the pic for a better idea of what I'm refferring to. It looks like it's engineered right, but no one has commented on the cone type yet, they are supposed to "vulcanize" themselves into the tire?

Are you looking to repair an existing flat, or to have in case of emergency?

I used a rope style as a temporary fix to get me home from a trip.  No issues, but I bought a new tire asap.

Don't want to risk leak or blow-out. 

Plugs are OK for cars (couple of extra wheels), but not cool for bikes in my opinion.

see ya -- Jeff

I gotta agree with the "replace the tire guys" Ever been down? It costs a lot more than a tire. If out on the road, plug it, then get to a bike shop and buy a new tire. Aint worth it. Tires are cheap compared to medical bills and insurance premiums. :blink:

• Member Contributer

Hey Sebastian -- I had the same questions about plugs. I recently bought the kind that looks like a sticky piede of yarn. Is that the rope kind? (Doesn't use glue from tube).

Is this the wrong kind to use?

I gotta agree with the "replace the tire guys"  Ever been down?  It costs a lot more than a tire.  If out on the road, plug it, then get to a bike shop and buy a new tire.  Aint worth it.  Tires are cheap compared to medical bills and insurance premiums.  :pissed:

As stated, I am going on a long trip(NY to AZ), and if I get stuck I want the best one on hand.

Hah! The Stop-n-Go Tire Plugger is the one I was looking at! This will be for emegency situation, but I will be on a loonngg trip, and need the repair to last as long as possible.

You got the message; stay away from the Plugger, mine is rot'n away in the garage, three plugs.......three blown plugs.

Word of advice; practice first. If yur put'n on new tires, put a screw in yur tire before ya have it replaced and practice patch'n it with a glue type.

I use the BMW kit type 'cause I have them from my old BMW's. They hold fine but take a lot of ream'n to get the hole big enough to insert them without destroy'n the plug.

Chances are good you will never need a patch kit on a tour......But, if by slim chance ya do, you will be very glad ya have one and you know how to use it.

I gotta agree with the "replace the tire guys"?

I'm a cheap bastid. With a wife who's an accountant.

I gotta agree with the "fix it if you possibly can, anti-SafetyNazi" guys. :joystick:

There's no way I'm throwing away a $300 new tyre just because it's got a thin 1" brad stuck in it.

A better idea would be for me to stop riding around cars (in the gutter, between lanes, etc.) where all the assorted tyre-attacking detritus accumulates....

I'm a cheap bastid. With a wife who's an accountant.

I gotta agree with the "fix it if you possibly can, anti-SafetyNazi" guys. :joystick:

There's no way I'm throwing away a $300 new tyre just because it's got a thin 1" brad stuck in it.

I find the same thing here as I do on the Adventure rider forum I admin/mod on. The USA guys panic at ride'n a patched tire and the guys down under do it all the time........... :lol:

There are as many people who plug and ride, as there are who prefer have a new tyre fitted. I've never known of anyone who has lost a plug, and I only know fast riders : )

I've had 5 or 6 plugs over the years, two in the one tyre once. I would recommend getting a permanent plug (internal) when you can, but for unstranding yourself there's nothing wrong with a plug.

If the tyre has any damage other than a simple nail or screw in it, replace it. Otherwise, plug it. The plugs use vulcanisation to seal, and quite possibly the seal ends up better than that of the beads against the rim - especially an internal plug.

Don't plug if the hole is within an inch of the sidewall, or is in a tread groove.

My pick is the Maruni VK-01 kit. It has a great t-handle/reamer, much better to use than the usual bent steel ones, and it folds up neatly to carry under the seat (the handle breaks into two pieces that are then joined end to end for storage, as in the pic on the packaging).

gallery_5581_740_13009.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

VK-01.jpg

• Member Contributer
My pick is the Maruni VK-01 kit. It has a great t-handle/reamer, much better to use than the usual bent steel ones, and it folds up neatly to carry under the seat (the handle breaks into two pieces that are then joined end to end for storage, as in the pic on the packaging).

Hey Phantom, that's the kit I bought years ago. I can't find replacement rubber strips for it though! The best I could find was the stuff the TyrePliers guys are selling, which aren't strips like the Maruni one, but little wedges (oddly enough called "wedge inserts").

I have a soft spot for the maruni kit because it's saved my bacon three times and never blown out (Note that I replaced the tyre right away though). Do you know anyone that sells the rubber strips still?

I have a soft spot for the maruni kit because it's saved my bacon three times and never blown out (Note that I replaced the tyre right away though).  Do you know anyone that sells the rubber strips still?

The last place I got strips was from Flemington Markets, of all places.

I'll check with the shop that sold me the Maruni kit and let you know, if they have them I can post some to you.

Guest sfv_rider

If you are looking for "string" type inserts, check your local auto parts store.

In So Cal, Pep Boys stores sell Camel brand tire repair components, including the "string" inserts, glue, and T-handle reamers and insertion tools. The reamers and insertion tools that look like a screwdriver don't hold up in production.

They sell "large" string inserts (that look a lot like a caterpillar), and are intended for large holes, and the smaller rubber inserts, about 1/4" x 1 1/2" in size. Bring extra inserts - if the hole isn't large enough, they'll break before they run through the tire carcass.

These ones are not self-adhesive - you need the glue to work with the reamer, and to dip the plug in before insertion.

I'd recommend replacing the tire if you have any concerns about durability, but I've ridden many a mile on patched tires.

If you're on tour with another bike, one of you gets the first aid kit, and the other gets the tire patch materiels and the pump.

Tire patches may not be ideal, but if they get you on your way after being stranded in the middle of nowhere, they're a blessing.

• Member Contributer

I recently purchased this BMW tire repair kit from one of the guys on this board. i am not sure what you call their style of plug? Is this the witches hat?

71112332083.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I recently purchased this BMW tire repair kit from one of the guys on this board.  i am not sure what you call their style of plug?  Is this the witches hat?

71112332083.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

That kit works fine, I have used them; couple of tips. You must ream the hole, ream it again, ream it again and so on. If ya don't, ya just break the plugs. Second; be sure the tube of glue has not dryed out. If yur not sure just buy a new tube. The couple of CO2's that come with the kit don't supply enough air for an extended ride. Get more CO2's or carry a compressor or short bicycle pump.

• Member Contributer
That kit works fine, I have used them; couple of tips. You must ream the hole, ream it again, ream it again and so on.  If ya don't, ya just break the plugs.  Second; be sure the tube of glue has not dryed out.  If yur not sure just buy a new tube.  The couple of CO2's that come with the kit don't supply enough air for an extended ride.  Get more CO2's or carry a compressor or short bicycle pump.

Thanks for the info. The kit I have, pictured above, comes with three CO2s but for some reason the new kits only come with two cannisters of the same size.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the info.  The kit I have, pictured above, comes with three CO2s but for some reason the new kits only come with two cannisters of the same size.

OK, I have a stupid question...

I was reading the tire plug thread and looking to purchase a good kit for some upcoming trips. The old BMW came with those CO2 cartridges...and I always wondered if I had a flat on that thing...how the hell do you use those?

Just screw them on the valve stem? I have never tried it so not really sure and if I get a flat at night I would be screwed...

I will probably bring along a pump just in case...and practice first...

What say you?

rp

I saw the BMW gun plug thing in use last weekend.

Many miles from a new tire.

Piece of Cake job. I'm buying one of those for $43.

Looks just like the Dennis Kirk kit. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

+1.gif Ok, I just had my first flat in I can't remember how long and fortunately the solution wasn't too painful. My gf and I were out riding and stopped near the ocean for a quick breather and noticed that tell tale hiss. We putted about a half a mile on the last pressure and managed to roll to a "service station". Thankfully there was an ACE within walking distance that sold the rope type plugs, cones, and tire slime. Desperate and already 10 minutes past their closing time I bought the cone type plugs and the slime just in case.

45 minutes later... 30 minutes walking... 10 minutes figuring out how to make it work and 5 minutes plugging it and airing it we were back on the road.

I don't have much confidence in the patch so I ordered a replacement tire, but the cone type plug with a little cement is still holding fine and air loss has been negligible since it was done several days ago.

Just remember to cut off the cone plug even with the surface of the tire when you are done patching.

Time to order a patch kit... I'm not hoping for a replay, but since next time I'll have the tools it will probably never happen again! :P

Archived