What is the best type of tire plug?

SEBSPEED

• Member Contributer

"Time to order a patch kit... I'm not hoping for a replay, but since next time I'll have the tools it will probably never happen again!"

If only this were true. I have a Mushroom style kit. I couldn't it to work while I was on a road trip last month. I ended up going to a shop, and they couldn;t get it to work either. So we plugged in a rope style and I limped to the next town and put on a new set of tires. I was not to interested in seeing how long a plug would hold up on two lane back roads.

So what is my lesson? Being prepared is not about haveing the tools, but kjnowing how to use them!

I will be precticing on an old tire so I am ready next time.

• Member Contributer
Hah! The Stop-n-Go Tire Plugger is the one I was looking at! This will be for emegency situation, but I will be on a loonngg trip, and need the repair to last as long as possible. I will be carrying a small bicycle hand pump, and need to make up my mind on a type of 'filler'. I didn't like the rope-type at all from looking at it, and the cone shape looks like it may give out and 'pop out' of the tire while riding?

God I love this forum and the speedy helpful people in it! i'm gonna have to donate again! +1.gif

I have used the Stop & Go Pocket Plugger which I recommend since it is fast and reliable. After fixing my flat I was able to ride 900 miles without any problem, and yes I am planning to use the tire until it is completely worn out.

Just remember one thing: Make sure that the hole in the tire is completely round and with no edges, otherwise the mushroom will not apply properly and it will leak. I had to plug the same hole twice before realizing that.

BTW, make yourself a favour. Go get an electric pump like this one: 12 volt pump conversion

In a perfect world a hand pump will work great. In real world...it's a huge pain. My .2c pesonal experience...

enjoy your trip! :thumbsup:

I have used the Stop & Go Pocket Plugger which I recommend since it is fast and reliable. After fixing my flat I was able to ride 900 miles without any problem, and yes I am planning to use the tire until it is completely worn out.

Just remember one thing: Make sure that the hole in the tire is completely round and with no edges, otherwise the mushroom will not apply properly and it will leak. I had to plug the same hole twice before realizing that.

BTW, make yourself a favour. Go get an electric pump like this one: 12 volt pump conversion

In a perfect world a hand pump will work great. In real world...it's a huge pain. My .2c pesonal experience...

enjoy your trip! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Manos! I did end up getting the Stop-& Go kit, and I plan to get an electric pump soon. I was biting off more than I could chew, so I moved my trip out to late August. Better to be patient than regret a decision halfway across the country, I say! +1.gif

• Member Contributer
Thanks, Manos!

Nada :D

...and one more thing: Do NOT cut the stem of the mushroom even to the tire's surface when you are done but let it slightly protrude. The contact with the pavement will trim it to the surface.

What happens is that, as soon as you start rolling, the stem will be slightly sucked in due to the pressure that is applied to the tire.

Nada :D

...and one more thing: Do NOT cut the stem of the mushroom even to the tire's surface when you are done but let it slightly protrude. The contact with the pavement will trim it to the surface.

What happens is that, as soon as you start rolling, the stem will be slightly sucked in due to the pressure that is applied to the tire.

mmm, good point. Methinks we need a sticky on this thread... :thumbsup:

This thread helped me a lot too!

What do you think of the CO? capsules that can be used to inflate tires?

I just bought the Dynaplug kit...have read good things about it...will practice first...also will be getting the CO2 capsules and inflater...

dynaplug.com

no affiliation, blah ,blah

rp

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
Larry: That has to be the best testimonial ever for a tire plug. They should be using that quote on their website. But why did you switch from the mushroom to the rope? :goofy:

Thanks

A good testimonial quite by accident... you see after I plugged the tire I forgot about it and just rode normal...

but during the tire change I inspected the plug and discovered that the mushroom part was showing signs of

coming un-stuck... I believe the rope type plug will not come un-stuck and thus is a better seal for the life of the

tire...

A week or two ago I jumped a double yellow on my commute home in the two lane mountain twisties I ride every day and then set up for a great set of S's on a sharp down hill. I took the first right hander and the bike kind of did a mild wallow and I thought, damn I gotta increase my rebound damp'n when I get home. In the left hander that followed the bike was all over the road and I knew then I was flat'n out.

I got stopped and looked at my new tire on the rear and a huge Phillips screw head was look'n back at me. I pulled it out and it was over 3 inches long, razor sharp and very thick. The hole was huge and was split'n. It took three patches and almost a full tube of glue, all four CO2's and a good 40 pumps with the mini mountain bike pump, I also carry, to get me home.

The tire was to far gone to try and patch like I have others so I tossed a tire with only a few hundred miles on it...Daymn.

It sure is nice be'n able to get home when ya need to. I have been ride'n full time for many many years and only had to do this a couple of times but it was worth carry'n the stuff all that time for those moments.

The patch kit, and CO2?s fit under my seat and I carry my mini pump in my tail bag on the rear.

• Member Contributer
I've worked in Firestone tire stores, repaired many a flat tire with the rope type cord and driven thousands of miles on a repaired car tire, but

I value my hide far too much to chance it on a motorcycle tire repair for anything more than a running repair to get me to a shop for a new tire.

To me this is flawed logic. People die in autos due to tire failures too. Anyone who's worked for firestone (cough...explorers....cough) knows that! (ducks and runs) :goofy:

I plug rear tires and then use them until they are used up. I have never had to plug a front so I don't know what I'd do but I have 3 used/good spares in the garage so I'd probably just plug it and swap it out at my convenience.

Archived