Buell Footpegs Modification

Darth Bling

gallery_4208_389_217810.jpg

After doing some research, I decided to add some Buell footpegs to my 2002 VFR. After installing the pegs, my first impressions were very good. I can definitely feel a difference in my knees and the bike's overall feel seems less aggressive. I'm very happy with my choice. The Buell pegs are about an inch lower than stock.

If you've been thinking about adding Buell footpegs but you can't decide to take the plunge, hopefully this little write-up will help you out. I know I was hesitant to buy the pegs because I wasn't sure what needed to be done to make the Buell footpegs fit. And to make things more difficult, nobody's posted any pictures yet of how to install the footpegs. Well, let's see if we can do something about that. :D

I believe the footpegs I used are for the Buell XB9S. The part numbers are N0520.1AD and N0521.1AD. The total cost was about $34 or so.

Now, the pegs are not a? perfect fit. As you can see in the first picture, they are shaped differently.

gallery_4208_389_67760.jpg

Also, you'll notice that the pegs are too tall.

gallery_4208_389_217810.jpg

The solution: grind the excess away! You can use a Dremel, but would take quite a bit of time (3 grinding bits and 3 hours to be exact). You could probably also use a regular file to shave down the pegs too (might be even faster than the Dremal actually. Of course, if you have a real grinder, this should only take a few minutes.

gallery_4208_389_233664.jpg

gallery_4208_389_290950.jpg

gallery_4208_389_143102.jpg

Now, the stock bolts and mounting holes are 8mm. The Buell footpegs holes are 7/16 (You can see the difference in the first picture). So, you'll need to find some bushings/sleeves to fill in the gap. You have a few different options here. The easiest way would probably be to find a bushing with a 8mm inside diameter and, using power drill increase the diameter of the Buell footget to fit the bushing. Here are some before and after pictures:

gallery_4208_389_240098.jpg

Right Peg Before.JPG

gallery_4208_389_5984.jpeg

Right Peg After.JPEG

gallery_4208_389_180480.jpg

Left Peg Before.JPG

gallery_4208_389_44301.jpg

Left Peg After.JPG

gallery_4208_389_713807.jpg

Left Peg 2 Before.JPG

gallery_4208_389_340719.jpg

Left Peg 2 After.JPG

gallery_4208_389_600797.jpg

The Buell footpegs sit about an inch lower. As you can see in the next picture, the feelers on the Buell footpeg and VFR footpeg extended down to roughly the same height. Since I don't grind my pegs when I ride (I usually lean off the bike when I go around corners), I shouldn't have any ground clearance problems at all.

gallery_4208_389_8542.jpg

All that's left to do now is adjust the shifter and brake lever and we're ready to ride. The shifter is super easy to adjust. The brake lever is another matter. Since I'm not exactly sure how to adjust the brake lever and it looks like it could be messy, I left the brake lever alone (for now). Otherwise, this mod was pretty simple and straightfoward. Just be patient when grinding down the pegs, and everything should be fine. It took me about 6 hours total to install the new footpegs (using a Dremal), so it's quite possible it'll take you less time.? :P

As others noted in the original thread, a grinder or file is the best way to go. I used a Dremal and it took me hours to grind away enough metal. Others used a grinder or file and managed to grind down the pegs in only a few minutes.

Edited by MFP-2241

Here how to adjust the brake:

gallery_4208_389_144263.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Brake Lever Adjustment

First, loosen the nut that the yellow arrow is pointing at. Then, adjust the brake lever by turning the nut that is behind the foot guide plate where the red circle is drawn. This will move adjust the lever up or down. When you're done, tighten the bottom nut (yellow arrow) back down. The green arrow points to the brake light switch adjustment dial. Because you're moving the brake lever down, the brake light will constantly be on unless the engagement point is change.

Hope this helps. I believe the bottom nut is 12mm and the top nut is 10mm.

Are these part numbers correct I ordered a set from our local dealer in Canada and they came up as a straight peg not even close to what I want. Thanks in advance fro the info.

Here are the boxes my Buell pegs came in:

gallery_4208_389_151911.jpg

Part Numbers.JPG

As you can see, the part numbers are N0520.1AD and N0521.1AD. I'm thinking the dealership you went to gave you the wrong parts, or there was a mix up somewhere and the wrong pegs got put into the wrong box.

Here's where I found the part numbers for the XB9 footpegs:

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=26913

Edited by MFP-2241

I may be doing this over the winter.? I was out cleaning the bike today and noticed that dropping the left footpeg ~1 inch might cause some interference with the sidestand.? Would you please comment on this?? Maybe the angle of the new peg still allows clearance?

Thanks.

gallery_4208_389_1948.jpg

Kickstand Clearance.JPG

There really isn't any clearance issues that you need to worry about, unless you're using a kickstand that's shorter than stock.

Edited by MFP-2241

MFP,

Again, great write up. I just got finished with the mod and thought I would share a few comments. Please don't take this as a thread jack.

The part numbers you specified were spot on.

I was most concerned about the bushings, so I made my own. I got some 7/16" drill stock and drilled out the center to make the bushings. It was a little tricky, and my holes aren't perfectly centered, but they're pretty darn close (what can I say...I'm a wood worker not a machinist). I marked the center of the piece to be drilled with a centering tool and an awl. I then drilled out a 7/32" hole and then went back through with a 5/16" hole. The 8mm peg fit through the 5/16" hole so I didn't even need the 8mm drill I bought. The holes on the Buell pegs needed to be drilled with a 7/16" drill to allow the drill stock to fit properly.

Once I made the bushings, I held them in the Buell pegs as I sanded them to shape to fit in the stock location (one in the picture hasn't been sanded yet...that is why it's longer). I just used a cheap belt / disc sander combination to do all the shaping. A few sanding / shaping iterations for each peg and I was done. It feels very solid with the steel bushings.

Follow MFP's adive for adjusting the pegs. It was also spot on.

The drill stock is cheap, and I have a bunch left over. (I bought about 3 ft and used about 4 inches.) PM me if anyone wants me to send them a piece, although buying your own from a local store may be cheaper than paying shipping.

Thanks for reposting this MFP. It'll certainly be a big help to some riders considering this mod. Excellent pics and descriptions BTW. :thumbsup:

Me, I'll be holding out for the Larryco lowering blocks. Then I can retain my '86 VFR footpegs which actually came off MY old '86.

I miss that bike, but at least I still have two parts off it.

Here are the boxes my Buell pegs came in:

gallery_4208_389_151911.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Part Numbers.JPG

Hehe, American motorcycles, japanese motorcycles, all made in Taiwan!!

(american components, russian components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!!)

What movie was it? :beer:

• Member Contributer

For those that want to know, this mod has been done on just about every modern sport bike. I first read about it on the ZX12 forum several years ago. Most bikes need some work to adapt. How many mods cost less than $50?

Guest 767fixer

ive thought about this mod. but with my long legs my toes point down while on the pegs. i have the rear brake already as low as it will go. an inch lower peg and the rear brake will be unuseable for me. anyone know a work around to get me longer adjustment?

• Forum CEO
ive thought about this mod.  but with my long legs my toes point down while on the pegs.  i have the rear brake already as low as it will go.  an inch lower peg and the rear brake will be unuseable for me.  anyone know a work around to get me longer adjustment?

Remove one of the lock nuts on the adjuster, thats another 3/4 inch of adjustment to work with, it will be tight up against the post anyway with it out all the way.

peg04.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I removed this nut for a bit more adjustment.

Guest 767fixer
Remove one of the lock nuts on the adjuster, thats another 3/4 inch of adjustment to work with, it will be tight up against the post anyway with it out all the way.

peg04.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I removed this nut for a bit more adjustment.

damn....never thought of that......thanks :beer:

but will i have enough brake light adjustment?

Picked up the Buell pegs from the HD store, I think that was the first time I've ever walked in to a Harley Dealer. :idea3:

Everyone was pretty nice, a nice young was the first the greet me and walked me to the parts counter. The parts guy addressed me by Mr. Bailey and thank you Sir.

Maybe there all just making so much money there all happy! :P

$34.80 with tax.

• Member Contributer
damn....never thought of that......thanks :idea3:

but will i have enough brake light adjustment?

I also ground about 1/8" off the threaded shaft which lowers the pedal about another 3/4". I had to "stretch" the brake switch spring IIRC.

ive thought about this mod.  but with my long legs my toes point down while on the pegs.  i have the rear brake already as low as it will go.  an inch lower peg and the rear brake will be unuseable for me.  anyone know a work around to get me longer adjustment?

Another option is what I did to my gearlever to get it in just the right position: stick it in a vice, heat it thoroughly with a hot-air gun, then lean on it with a big wrench/gorilla/LeaningOnMofoThingo.

big wrench/gorilla/LeaningOnMofoThingo.com,  i think

No, actually that was three options: a big wrench OR a big gorilla OR a big LeaningOnMofoThingo. So that would be www.tools-r-us.com, www.gorillas-r-us.com, and www.bigmofoleaningonmofothingo-r-us.com

Guest 767fixer
No, actually that was three options: a big wrench OR a big gorilla OR a big LeaningOnMofoThingo. So that would be www.tools-r-us.com, www.gorillas-r-us.com, and www.bigmofoleaningonmofothingo-r-us.com

damn...australia has the coolest stores. sad.gif

damn...australia has the coolest stores. sad.gif

Those were all Murkn stores; Ozzie ones are generally (but not always) suffixed by .com.au.

Anyway, I'm from Noo Zilund, so if we had those kewl stores they'd be .co.nz, unless they went for the .com thingo. Like if they were Murkns that had moved here, or they were marketing to Murkns. Y'know how it is, eh? wink.gif

Guest 767fixer
Those were all Murkn stores; Ozzie ones are generally (but not always) suffixed by .com.au.

Anyway, I'm from Noo Zilund, so if we had those kewl stores they'd be .co.nz, unless they went for the .com thingo. Like if they were Murkns that had moved here, or they were marketing to Murkns. Y'know how it is, eh?  wink.gif

my bad. im still waiting for the .xxx web sites :blink:

Guest Chris_VFR
Thta's alright, I fogive you. I know you Candians don't know wany better.? :P

Besides, you're in the same industry as my wife (she works for AirNZ), so that makes us practically kissing cousins.

:blink:

Yech you guys really know how to hijack a thread

:D

Edited by Chris_VFR