Vtec electrical problems info post

Baileyrock

Hey guys, guess 40k miles is time for me to get on the electrical gremlin bandwagon here with my 2002 non ABS.

The issues began about a month ago, at work. Key on, hit starter, and she was dead. I tried to jump start the bike, but the second I removed the auxiliary battery, it died. Went to Interstate (In a 52hp Diesel Jetta) to get another battery, installed it, ran great. I figured the battery was sulfated and it had an internal short.

Fast forward another month and it did the exact same thing. I knew about the R/R and stator issues, so I figured I would tear her down and see what was up. Lo and behold...whoa

post-18182-0-25477400-1435205047.jpg

So the R/R to stator connection was bad. I assume this means the R/R is bad also. I ohmed the stator out per sec. 17 of the shop manual, and everything was within spec. All I have read on the R/R is that I cannot test it at home. I figure it's bad though since the connector was fried.

post-18182-0-78472100-1435205201.jpg

Really fried.

I checked voltage through the battery negative as I did in the first place to determine if there was still a current drain and there was, I calculated it to approximately 0.4 amps, more than enough to kill a battery in a night. This being the case I made my way through the wiring diagram, looking over all the fuses, and I ran across a couple of items. The first was the red connector over the green starter relay. It was melted on the terminal that takes the RED wire. I pulled the fuse (30 amp, main fuse A), which caused the current draw from the battery to stop. I also noticed the holder for main fuse A was slightly discolored, but I do not view it as a contributing issue yet. Disconnecting that fuse did nothing to my current draw.

Once I isolated the current draw to that circuit, I followed the red wire to the keyswitch, which tested good per sec. 20-21 of the manual. I then followed the red/green wire to the instrument panel and unplugged that 20 pin connector, which stopped the current draw.

To summarize,

This bike keeps killing batteries

I found a totally destroyed R/R to stator connection

Stator ohmed out OK

Battery still is being drained whilst R/R is NOT connected (0.43A @ 12.7V battery voltage)

30 amp Fuse A connector is melted at green connector (red wire)

30 amp Fuse B connector is beginning to discolor.

Current draw ceases once Fuse A is pulled

Current draw ceases if instrument panel (20 pin) plug is disconnected (no discoloration on this connector)

I am pretty stumped as to why this is happening as it seems nobody mentions instrument panel, nor the fuse on the starter solenoid. Any suggestions on what I should test/replace? I figure I am in it for a new Rectifier and fuse holder, but I fear it could be more.

Edited by Nelso90
  • Sad 1

Thanks for the fast responses guys. I will get a standard VFRNess on order today. Should I go ahead and replace my rectifier? The current draw from the battery at key off is worrisome, but as long as the VFRness fixes it, we should be good.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the fast responses guys. I will get a standard VFRNess on order today. Should I go ahead and replace my rectifier? The current draw from the battery at key off is worrisome, but as long as the VFRness fixes it, we should be good.

I would just for the piece of mind .

Roll On ..

• 3 weeks later...

I have to do for sure the 30 amp mods , i would like to do the blue harness connector mod too , but my harness is different from yours. (see the pics)

!! no ground on the fwd side of the blue connector !!

problems encounted : engine die while running the highway, my dashboard was like a christmas tree, i don't know for the headlight lamp it happens during the day.

What solution or mods should I do?

thank you in advance guys

post-33500-0-37202000-1436795254.jpg

post-33500-0-65927300-1436795259.jpg

post-33500-0-76624400-1436795264.jpg

I have tested my system this morning,

I have checked :

reg/rec---ok

stator continuity---ok

stator voltage at idle----ok (almost all the same)

charging circuit--- connecting the black lead from multimeter to positive battery and red lead from multimeter to red wire coming out from reg/rec

this should give 0.2 volt from the fault finding chart of electrosport.

and i got 0.8 volt. the chart said more than 0.2 is : "Bad connection in the positive lead from RR to battery(+)

then I touch the 30 amp holder (who is the positive wire), ouch omg that was hot

so I ordered a vfrness from wiremybike. 2 to 5 days to canada.

give you some news when its done

• 3 weeks later...

finally I have installed my harness BUT

I don't know which connectors to use. could someone can help me with that?

see my pic.

which one goes with the "A" ?

which one goes with the "B" ?

Is it possible that I have 2 extra connectors left ?

post-33500-0-87774800-1438645130.jpg

thank you , now I can ffinish my installation.

one more thing.... in the instruction , in testing section , line 5. " retest the voltage at the accessory wire....."

is this line is only for people who took the option with the vfrness.?

at idle i should have 13.5 to 14.5 i have 14.2 thats good. but when I rev the bike at 5k. I still have 14.2 , the instruction says 14.3 to 14.7volts

do you think my bike is ok now?

• Member Contributer

thank you , now I can ffinish my installation.

one more thing.... in the instruction , in testing section , line 5. " retest the voltage at the accessory wire....."

is this line is only for people who took the option with the vfrness.?

at idle i should have 13.5 to 14.5 i have 14.2 thats good. but when I rev the bike at 5k. I still have 14.2 , the instruction says 14.3 to 14.7volts

do you think my bike is ok now?

Your are good to go !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new problem now ,

I have done the vfrness mod , everythings seems to be good . I took my bike to go to work in a hot hot day!!! 38 degre C

while a was riding my clock reset to 1:00am all by itself.

then after a few kilometers the motor stops ,so I pull the clutch and release it to start the bike . i did it 3 times before it starts ( was riding around 90 km/h).

another thing!!! my fuel tank has a fuel level problem it says its always empty or almost empty even after a refill.

do you think that this problem can cause my motor to stop ( computer wise )