Help me find a quiet helmet

Guest ratfink

I find that a neck warmer considerably reduces the noise. The only problem is that it wouldn't be very comfortable in warm weather.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shoei RF700-1000 have been best for me. But most important is a tight fit. A loose fit on the cheek pads and every helmet will be loud.

• Member Contributer
You can't go wrong with an Arai if you have the $$$.

My Arai Quantum II is _LOUD!_

...wind roar easily obscures the noise from my D&D can, even with half the packing blown out!

At 85 MPH wind noise in any helmet will be high, some higher than others but either way damaging to your ear.  I suggest using ear plugs, many riders use them and I find they really improve your ride.

after reading about using earplugs on the forum, i tried it this year. holy crap. what a difference in sound (obviously) but also in fatigue levels. i'm much less tired when riding.

i never really "noticed" how loud it was until i put in the earplugs.

wish i'd done that 5 years ago when i started.

i have an HJC helmet - CL-SP, seems pretty quiet to me and i sit just above the windscreen's protection on my bike (6'1").

I wear earplugs all the time. Just part of my ATGATT regimen. For me the real noise problems seem to come from that area around my neck where the helmet is not tight against me. When you're riding, hold your hand up under the edge of your helmet by your ears. I notice a massive decrease in turbulence when I do that. I think the Quiet Rider thingy would really help with that, but I've never tried one.

For more good info on helmets and noise (and lots of other stuff), check out www.webbikeworld.com. They do helmet testing and even post recordings of the noise levels.

Still, helmet noise and fit are directly related and therefore your experience will be completely different from mine.

I like to get a helmet that has replaceable interior parts so that when the cheekpads are nasty and worn out, I can just get new ones for $10. For that, I chose the HJC AC 11 last time and I've been quite happy. YMMV of course.

Ride on! +1.gif

• Member Contributer

I just ordered the Windjammer today after reading this thread! I could use it to be a little quieter. I installed the ZG Double Bubble as well and that has helped considerably.

I'll write up a review and let everyone know when i get it!

FWIW, I use a Shoei RF-1000 -- got a plain blk one for $350.00, least expensive of the line and it's not bad. I've had alot worse in the past. I started using the chin guard to keep dirt and insects from flying up into my lid and noticed a fair reduction in the noise level with it on! Try it, if you don't like it, take it off...

I put on earplugs for one ride and I don't like 'em! I felt like I lost one of my senses, even though it was much quieter. I'd rather put up with the noise and be able to hear everything going on around me... but that's me...

• Member Contributer

I just got an Arai Profile and its pretty darn quiet compared to most I have worn.

A lot of people who have tried out the Schuberth S1 helmet says it's the most quiet helmet you can buy out there, Averaging around 70db at highway speeds. Shame about it's ridiculous pricing though! 600 bucks!? Looks nice but not 600 dollars nice IMO.

Beck

95 VFR

I bought a shoei rf800 from ebay once to see if the quality justified the price. I was amazed at how quiet this thing was. As soon as I put it on I could tell and anyone else who tried it on said the same thing. but it squished my face a little and I had also gotten an arai signet so I went with the arai. it fit way better, but now I wish it was as quiet as the shoei. I don't know if the newer models(rf1000) are the same, but if they were and vented a little better I would have to force myself not to buy one even at their high price.

• Member Contributer

No friggin way I believe any helmet is 70db at highway speeds - unless they are talking about the helmet + some really freakin amazing earplugs.

Luxury car interiors are around 70db.

The stock VFR is 80db @ 5800rpm per the DOT testing.

Earplugs are your friend.

I just got an Arai Profile too and it is pretty good. It has a ridiculous # of vents but if you close them all it's pretty darn quiet on the highway, and more importantly it keeps the noise at low frequencies where the earplugs can filter it out.

High frequency whistles and such are the annoying thing... the earplugs usually won't block them and they get on your nerves really fast.

No friggin way I believe any helmet is 70db at highway speeds - unless they are talking about the helmet + some really freakin amazing earplugs.

Luxury car interiors are around 70db.

The stock VFR is 80db @ 5800rpm per the DOT testing.

Earplugs are your friend.

I just got an Arai Profile too and it is pretty good.  It has a ridiculous # of vents but if you close them all it's pretty darn quiet on the highway, and more importantly it keeps the noise at low frequencies where the earplugs can filter it out.

High frequency whistles and such are the annoying thing... the earplugs usually won't block them and they get on your nerves really fast.

Actually I'm not sure if it was right at 70, maybe more like 78. I'm just trying to remember what I've read about the helmet. Anyway, it seems to have been considered by a lot of testers to be THE most quiet helmet available these days.

Any owners out there care to confirm this?

Beck

95 VFR

Quietest helmet is probably the Shoei RF1000 and/or X-11.

Best venting goes to the Arai. I own a Profile down here in florida (and a old RX-7 Doohan back in the day) and it is the very best venting, fit and finish you can get.

Typically the more venting a helmet has, the louder it will be. But here in florida venting is a priority.

• 11 months later...

My X-11 makes a horrible whistling noise. I spent over 600.00 for it, but have reverted back to my 5 year old, 130.00 hjc.

Actually I'm not sure if it was right at 70, maybe more like 78. I'm just trying to remember what I've read about the helmet. Anyway, it seems to have been considered by a lot of testers to be THE most quiet helmet available these days.

Any owners out there care to confirm this?

Beck

95 VFR

This is from the WebikeWorld review on the Schuberth S1 hlmet:

Noise

This is one area in which we're sorely disappointed by the S1. Not only is the S1 not the "quietest helmet in the world", it's not even close. The low-frequency booming noises that are usually a result of turbulence around a helmet's neck area are relatively well controlled, but the real culprit are the S1's top rear exhaust vents. They create a noisy, high frequency whistle that starts at around 30 mph. Placing a hand over the opening for the exhaust vents completely eliminates the noise, so there's no question where it's coming from.

• Member Contributer

My HJC AC-11 is so quiet I often leave out the earplugs so I can hear my exhuast better. It comes with a mesh chin curtain and if I take it off the wind noise goes up exponentially!! I've ridden it 125 mph(track) and it stays pretty quiet. I did my

Freddie Spencer school without the ear plugs so I could hear better and the other bikes got to me, but not the wind noise.

I'll wager all the loud helmets would go quiet with the Windjammer type of collar.

• Member Contributer
Quietest helmet is probably the Shoei RF1000 and/or X-11.

Best venting goes to the Arai. I own a Profile down here in florida (and a old RX-7 Doohan back in the day) and it is the very best venting, fit and finish you can get.

Typically the more venting a helmet has, the louder it will be. But here in florida venting is a priority.

The above is an older post but :rolleyes: on the venting qualities of the Arai.

The most "noise" however is (in my case; my height, aftermarket screen, speeds I ride) coming from below. Wind hitting my chest and being directed upwards.

I found that by placing part of my hand in a specific location under the helmet, there is a significant reduction of the noise.

My lid is a brandnew Condor

HPIM4501.jpg

That doesnot come with a mesh type under chin thingie.

But as I use these

HPIM4037.jpg

I've no need just yet to start modding....

• 1 month later...

I have an x-11 and I cant stand it without earplugs even on short trips. Its plain obnoxious for what my insurance company payed for it :D . Short story crashed with cheap HJC on State Farm told me to pick any helmet I wanted so naturally I went with one of the most expensive helmets made (Arais dont fit me for sh!t, ((and tried them all)), and I f'ed up. I should have gotten another HJC. Even with it being on of those that has the flip up face (cant remember the model), it was still way quieter and I think I paid like $150 for it off EBAY.

• Member Contributer

For the money an HJC AC-11 can't be beat. My wife's was $140 and is very nice. I have the older ac-10 and have used it for three years now with NO complaints. It's very quiet when I stand up. When seated though, I get a lot of turbulence. I've tried the Laminar lip but it didn't help much. A helmet skirt helped but wouldn't stay put and was inconvenient when putting the helmet on or taking off, not to mention HOT! My advice is get a helmet that's comfy, and wear earplugs all the time.

My helmet (AGV X-Vent) is very quiet, and I love the features. Unfortunately, it's also slightly too small (it's 58cm ML, and my head is 59cm, which is L), so it makes my head hurt. I'm currently looking for a replacement, but not an AGV. I've had three now, and despite the features, the quality compared to say Shoei or Arai is not too good.

Oh - and I too found out that much of the wind noise comes from air underneath the helmet - specifically airflow over and around the neck of my jacket. I've fitted a free ($0!!) chin spoiler thingo (technical term) to the helmet which helps somewhat, and also keeps my face warmer in winter (at the expense of some airflow in summer).

My Shoei TZ-R is the quietest helmet I've used. Tried one of the neck enclosure things, whatever they are called, on my AGV they do make it quieter but kind of bugged me and didn't like the mounting method.

Guest deetben

I have the Shoei RF-800 ( a few years old) and a Shoei RF-1000. The RF-800 has pads over the ears and makes the helmet quiet compared to the newer RF-1000. I started noticing all kinds of noises from my bike after getting the RF-1000. But when I switch back to my RF-800, all the noises go away again. But the RF-1000 is a much lighter helmet. Just my 2 cents worth.

I would expect a strong relationship between vents and noise. Also as others have noted, it seems you can place a couple fingers in the gap ( ?) between helmet and neck, find a ' quiet zone' so maybe the companies could do more research there.

my ' everyday' helmet is a Shark RSi - good in terms of noise, but the ' long oval' fit is very tight around ears, makes it difficult with glasses. My helmet for longer rides /vacations is a Quantum, fits much better with glasses, a little louder, but I wear earplugs on rides over 10 miles or so . . . get them in right, they make a big difference.

I just ordered a new Suomy Spec 1 - with 'old fashioned' simple racing stripe graphics ( Gardner, from early '90's) I hear they are on the loud side, again, more vents = more noise.

Archived