Help me find a quiet helmet

Guest ratfink

Guest ratfink

I have had several helmets over the years, and have improved the wind noise on every new purchase a little at a time. The problem is, you can't ride at 85 MPH when test fitting at the store. Tell me what manufacturer and model is the quietest for you. I use a radio, and would like to reduce the wind noise through the mic for both me and my wife. We already have a quiet rider, which helps allot, but is no substitute for a good helmet.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VFR_FLA

This has been discused a lot. It's about issues with the windscreen and the helmet.

If you get responses then it based on different people with different heights and different screens at different speeds. I am a safety professional I have a noise meter we should do a real no BS test.

This has been discused a lot. It's about issues with the windscreen and the helmet.

If you get responses then it based on different people with different heights and different screens at different speeds. I am a safety professional I have a noise meter we should do a real no BS test.

I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam, and get allot if wind at 75+ but little at slower then that. I was just looking for a well insulated and put together helmet. I hate to spend more then a couple hundred bux when your suppose to replaced your helmet every two to four years anyway.

At 85 MPH wind noise in any helmet will be high, some higher than others but either way damaging to your ear. I suggest using ear plugs, many riders use them and I find they really improve your ride.

Guest VFR_FLA

I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam. But I think this has little to do with it. Some people have higher sitting positions then others (not just on bikes). Right now I'm using a Shoei $600 plus helmet. I wouldn't have it unless my girlfriend got it thrown in the deal when we purchased the bike. If you want it quieter for both of you on the VFR maybe a DB screen will help, however many have said the stock does provide less turbulance behind the screen. I posted a question a couple of days ago about the MRA Windscreen with the extra spoiler windscreen, to see if anyone is having sucess with it. I have not heard back!

At 85 MPH wind noise in any helmet will be high, some higher than others but either way damaging to your ear.  I suggest using ear plugs, many riders use them and I find they really improve your ride.

I use plugs, that doesn't change what the mic picks up. I just want a general consensus.

I use plugs, that doesn't change what the mic picks up. I just want a general consensus.

Fair enough, I can't tell you what's quiet, but I can tell you what not to buy. Don't pick up an Arai. I've had 3 and they are really loud, much than so than the 2 Shoei's I've had. I Just find the Arai's fit really well and I dig the paint scheme.

• Member Contributer

Maxx is right, I've had many different lids and no matter what you wear, at 85 mph, anything will be noisy. I am now wearing an Arai Quantumf and it is by far the lightest and most comfortable helmet I've own, but for noise, it's all relevent to your height, windscreen, where your head is in the wind stream etc.

Go for comrfort.

fb

Guest pastyman

All the bike mags over here (UK) say Schuberth is the quietest helmet. Haven't got one though.

See www.schuberth.com.

• Member Contributer

I have a scorpion and its pretty quiet around town. Its also not bad on the highway, but I allways use earplugs on the highway when traveling. I also have the Honda high wind screen, its helps a little too.

Guest Peregrinus

The Schuberths really look like fabulous helmets... way pricey, but excellent.

I have a Shoei, and the research I did before buying it really seemed conclusive that it is one of the quietest around unless you're paying $600+ (USD). (I have the TZ-R, basically the same as the RF-1000 without the rear spoiler and vent.)

What I have not yet tried, but plan on, is the available "chin screen." It covers the big gap between neck and helmet rim, which is the source for a huge part of the air coming through the helmet and (I think) making noise.

If anyone else has already tried this, please do chime in... I may get the chin piece soon, but perhaps not, as I'm not in a huge rush.

Bob

Guest Peregrinus
"If anyone else has already tried this, please do chime in... I may get the chin piece soon, but perhaps not, as I'm not in a huge rush."

That is what a "Quiet Rider" is. I have this one... 

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_cata...leafCatId=40102

And it does help allot.

Cool... I do plan on getting the Shoei one, as (a) it is cheaper smile.gif, and (B) it's made for the Shoei, and seems easier to get on and off. I'll expect pretty much the same result, and post results one way or the other for general edification. :goofy:

Thanks for the info-

Bob

• Member Contributer
I have had several helmets over the years, and have improved the wind noise on every new purchase a little at a time. The problem is, you can't ride at 85 MPH when test fitting at the store. Tell me what manufacturer and model is the quietest for you. I use a radio, and would like to reduce the wind noise through the mic for both me and my wife. We already have a quiet rider, which helps allot, but is no substitute for a good helmet.

Now I know why I thought you all were crazy when you said that the wind noise on a VFR @ 70+mph is over 90db.... :goofy: I just realized that I have a taller aftermarket windscreen that makes a HUGE difference over stock. I know for a fact that with my windscreen, the db's are not 90!

Try an aftermarket windscreen that deflects the air higher up. Take a trip out to the Puget Sound area and I will let you see for yourself... wink.gif

Guest Vato Viejo

Schuberth also came out on top in Motorcyclist magazine's test of helmets a couple of issues ago. It and a much cheaper helmet...but that was for bonkworthiness, not noise.

I've a Shoei X-11. It is VERY loud. I may try that Quiet Rider thing. Just what I need, something to make me even hotter.

• Member Contributer

I have an Arai Signet GT, it seems to be ok. I'm not too fond of the black helmet but when I bought my bike the dealer made a great offer on it. They were trying to get rid of their inventory or something. Sold it to me for 350$.

I have been wanting to get another helmet in a different color/graphics. I've looked at the suomy helmets and they are very light. Anyone have any experience with these ?

• 4 months later...
"If anyone else has already tried this, please do chime in... I may get the chin piece soon, but perhaps not, as I'm not in a huge rush."

And it does help allot.

I found the product called the Windjammer II which was reviewed on webBikeworld. It fits similar to the Quiet Rider on the bottom of the helmet and drastically reduces the wind noise as well as stopping 90% of the cold air. I just tried mine out last night and I was very happy with the results. Glad I ordered two of them, one for me and one for my son.

• Member Contributer

And it does help allot.

Does the "Quiet Rider" make you too hot in the summer?

• Member Contributer

My HJC AC-11 Zeek is super quiet!!!!

With earplugs in.... :lol: :lol:

Schuberth also came out on top in Motorcyclist magazine's test of helmets a couple of issues ago.  It and a much cheaper helmet...but that was for bonkworthiness, not noise.

I've a Shoei X-11.  It is VERY loud.  I may try that Quiet Rider thing.  Just what I need, something to make me even hotter.

Actually the Schuberth did very well, but it was not the best at limiting G forces to the head.

Here's the test: http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/

I also have a Shoei (Z-II) and it is loud and uncomfortable after about an hour. I'm going to seriously consider the Z1R ZRP-1 which allowed the fewest Gs of any of the helmets tested and can be had for < $100.

Guest sfv_rider

I use an Arai Quantum F helmet.

I always wear foam earpliugs, so I may not be the best judge of quietmess. I have found that a double-bubble or sport touring type of windscreen has far more effect on helmet quietness than the helmet type, though.

• 2 months later...

Any comments on an AGV? I used to have a cheaper AGV and loved it....but I have just got back into bikes since 98...so maybe AGV has changed?

You can't go wrong with an Arai if you have the $$$.

Archived