Help me find a quiet helmet

Guest ratfink

Noise issues have me getting desperate . . . .

6 gen

std screen + Laminar Lip

foam plugs

collared Tecnic jacket

80mph 40 mile (one way) interstate commute

I have a Nolan N100E (flip up) that I noticed has a lot of noise reflecting around inside it. So I stripped it down and tried to remove the styrofoam crush lining, but I felt that I would have to bend it too far and possibly have it snap. If that happens I am out one helmet, so I put it all back together for another day.

Has anyone taken the styrofoam lining out of their helmet and sprayed the inside plastic / fiberglass shell with a sound deadening material?

Also, I noticed I have Arai ear canals to match my Arai head - oval shaped! Has anyone noticed the shape of their ear plugs when they pull them out? Too bad Arai doesn't make ear plugs - they'd fit me perfect.

Best,

- c bob

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
I have had several helmets over the years, and have improved the wind noise on every new purchase a little at a time. The problem is, you can't ride at 85 MPH when test fitting at the store. Tell me what manufacturer and model is the quietest for you. I use a radio, and would like to reduce the wind noise through the mic for both me and my wife. We already have a quiet rider, which helps allot, but is no substitute for a good helmet.

Icon Hooligan Mainframe, reasonably quiet compared to my HJC CL14. Comes with a chin curtain that cuts down on noise but contributes to fogging of glasses in colder weather/too warm for riding with the curtain right now, southwestern BC is going through a heat wave. This helmet is also a bit more aerodynamic, don't get as much wind effect as the HJC when doing a shoulder check, ratchet mechanism works a bit better too (stays cracked open at speed, HJC slammed shut, scared the hell out of me the first couple of times it slammed shut. All being said seems the better aerodynamics cuts down on wind noise. For those that use radios the Icon has pockets built in for earphones. Final note; same helmet, same bike, same ergoes, different size/shape noggin equals different noise levels so what works for me may not work for you. Good luck in your quest for silence.

I agree about Arai's and noise- I have an older Quantum F, which surprisingly is a little quieter than my new Profile. But they are the only helmet that I find comfortable.

I wear earplugs as well and would still like it to be quieter.

I was running a ZG double bubble and found that to be quite a bit noisier than the Honda screen- the turbulence was hitting the middle of my helmet shield although I felt no buffeting.

I tried the windjammer and it helps somewhat, but it was a pita to deal with when removing the helmet.

I can complain about noise now that I sold my Harley!

• Member Contributer
I have the Shoei RF-800 ( a few years old) and a Shoei RF-1000. The RF-800 has pads over the ears and makes the helmet quiet compared to the newer RF-1000. I started noticing all kinds of noises from my bike after getting the RF-1000. But when I switch back to my RF-800, all the noises go away again. But the RF-1000 is a much lighter helmet. Just my 2 cents worth.

+1.gif

I have the RF-1000 as well. I used to have Arai and love them. However when I bought my bike, I didn't have a helmet and they only sold Shoei... :pissed:

• Member Contributer

This a new soon to be imported quiet helmet:

funny33.jpg

Oh, sorry....I missunderstood someone said this is "quite a helmet" not "a quiet helmet". :lol:

As for me I ride with a Scorpion 700....noise moderate.....price can't be beat. Throw in ear plugs and you have the full silence effect!

My helmet (AGV X-Vent) is very quiet, and I love the features. Unfortunately, it's also slightly too small (it's 58cm ML, and my head is 59cm, which is L), so it makes my head hurt. I'm currently looking for a replacement, but not an AGV. I've had three now, and despite the features, the quality compared to say Shoei or Arai is not too good.

Oh - and I too found out that much of the wind noise comes from air underneath the helmet - specifically airflow over and around the neck of my jacket. I've fitted a free ($0!!) chin spoiler thingo (technical term) to the helmet which helps somewhat, and also keeps my face warmer in winter (at the expense of some airflow in summer).

Is it OK to quote yourself?

Here's an update.

On Friday I bought a Shoei XR1000 Camber, for 399 UnZud ShekelDollars (~US$311). It was quite a revelation, after wearing AGVs for the past 13 years.

For a start (and it's a good start!), it fits my head (unlike my AGV X-Vent, which was 1cm too small, even after attacking it with a soup spoon).

I thought that despite Shoei helmets being a bit better built than AGVs, the overall quality of the fittings and materials looked cheaper: the padding on the straps and in the helmet looks like it is going to wear out fairly quickly being used nearly every day, and the brow and exhaust vents look cheap compared to either the AGV or the supposedly cheaper Raid my wife has.

The next thing I noticed was that a LOT more noise from the bike and surroundings was evident. Whether this is due to differences in padding and construction or what, I dunno, but it was a bit alarming at first.

Second impression: the dark-tint (greenish) visor is nowhere near as effective at cutting out glare as the mirrored and dark grey-tinted visor on the AGV. However, the field of vision was noticeably MUCH wider.

Ventilation: I dunno how many vents I had open (definitely the brow vents), but the amount of fresh air flowing through was several times that of the X-Vent, which has ALL the vents open all the time, as well as the visor (apart from at highway speeds). What with the extra noise, the visibility and the the airflow, it was almost like not wearing a helmet!

Despite more noise being transmitted, my first wee ride seemed to have less overall noise. The X-Vent is a fairly quiet helmet, but the way it interacts with the airflow around the neck of my jacket and from the windscreen makes for some noise. Plus the visor on the XR1000 shuts much more neatly than that on the X-Vent, sitting snugly against the seals. (Side note: the two visors I have for the X-Vent must've been made in different factories or summat - I can't adjust the hinges in order that both open and shut the same!)

This morning I commuted wearing the XR1000 for the first time, in 'real world' conditions (drizzle, stop/start traffic, etc.) and the most noticeable thing was that the visor fogged up pretty readily (the X-Vent's rarely fogged up) and took a while to clear when I opened it. Also, whereas the AGV has a fairly long padded piece on the strap, which overlaps so there's no possibility of the strap rubbing your neck/chin raw, the XR1000 has a gap between the soft strap cover thingoes (technical term) which meant the strap was a little uncomfortable against my skin.

I was also amazed at how much air was blowing over the top of my head, especially since the brow vents were shut. When I got to work, I discovered one vent was open just a tad (a metric one), so they really do work!

this one and the windjammer, which i use, actually seal out draught/air from under the helmet. if you have vents in your helmet they actually work better, it forces the vents to pull the air in.

i've had the windjammer for a couple years, it makes a big difference, but anything over 60mph/100km/h and it's noisey.

i used earplugs, windjammer and ipod with headphone speakers to break the noise monotony.

That is what a "Quiet Rider" is. I have this one...

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_cata...leafCatId=40102

And it does help allot.

Does the "Quiet Rider" make you too hot in the summer?

Noise

This is one area in which we're sorely disappointed by the S1. Not only is the S1 not the "quietest helmet in the world", it's not even close. The low-frequency booming noises that are usually a result of turbulence around a helmet's neck area are relatively well controlled, but the real culprit are the S1's top rear exhaust vents. They create a noisy, high frequency whistle that starts at around 30 mph. Placing a hand over the opening for the exhaust vents completely eliminates the noise, so there's no question where it's coming from.

Hello

Could you share more on the dimensions of the S1? Am considering getting this but since this has a built in sunscreen my concern is that the helmet will be relatively larger compared to the likes of Shoei and Arai.

Thanks.

Edit: Just realised that you were quoting from a magazine. Anyone has had access to the helmet before? Appreciate all your inputs. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

I hadn't realized how vain I've become until looking at that shuberth helmet............UGGGGGGGGLY!! For the record, I have a SHOEI RF1000 and I find it to be quite loud.

The Schuberths really look like fabulous helmets... way pricey, but excellent.

I have a Shoei, and the research I did before buying it really seemed conclusive that it is one of the quietest around unless you're paying $600+ (USD). (I have the TZ-R, basically the same as the RF-1000 without the rear spoiler and vent.)

What I have not yet tried, but plan on, is the available "chin screen." It covers the big gap between neck and helmet rim, which is the source for a huge part of the air coming through the helmet and (I think) making noise.

If anyone else has already tried this, please do chime in... I may get the chin piece soon, but perhaps not, as I'm not in a huge rush.

Bob

I am using the 'shoei whisper kit' that I purchased online, cuz they are only sold in Europe (go figure). It works great. It includes the chin cover, but the real work is done by the rear add-on. In fact, I rarely use the chin part, more for the really cold weather. The rear part reduces the internal airflow a lot, so expect to run hotter in summer. It's great for the long haul rides, and goes ON/OFF in seconds.

http://www.hideout-leather.co.uk/folders/h...sper_strip_kit/

DDO-VFR

I would like to get something similar for my uvex helmet just to keep some of the cold out. How does it attach it the helmet and do you think you can attach this item to any full face helmet or just the Raid II and XR1000

Archived