Tire Set-Up

Jovinski

Hello, everyone.  I sold my VRF back in 2019 and back then the "ideal" tire set up for how I rode was a Michelin PP front and a Michelin Pilot Road 2CT for the rear.  I have since purchased a Kawasaki z900.  It has Dunlop Road Sport tires.  They feel really heavy.  With the VFR and a pilot power front tire, it was extremely intuitive and just went were I pointed it.  The Dunlop tires resist turn in and just feel like they don't want to lean over.  So, I am looking for opinions on tires.  The Pilot Power still seems to be available, so what are opinions for rear tires?  The Pilot Roads now seem to be more geared towards heavier touring bikes.  I don't know if the Road 5's are the same concept as the Road 2CTs.  I am looking for something that's good for the long and flat roads of Kansas.  When I lived in Florida, also long and flat, but with a bit more turns, these tires were great.  So, thoughts and opinions wanted!  Thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

I run only Dunlops, so I can't help you. I never found any of them heavy to steer. Maybe you need a geometry adjustment? Are they worn in an unusual way? Most are, if they came used. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Well for a start you are comparing completely different bikes, so a lot more than tyres are involved. Like geometry, weight distribution, body positioning etc.

Dunlops normally have a steeper V profile & usually a sharper turn in because of that. For a start check your tyre pressures, as soft tyres can hamper steering response making the bike slow to turn. 

• Like 2

I have never had Dunlops on a bike before, so I don't really know how they should feel.  I just know these feel sluggish.  The best way to describe it is exactly as if they were low on air.  So, I have checked that constantly.  This bike has 500 miles on it, new from the factory with these tires.  The 2022 Z900 that I test drove prior to buying this one had Bridgestone Battle Axe tires and I didn't notice this feeling.  So, I am attributing it to the tires.  I do realize it's a completely different bike, I've had many more than just the VFR and I have had a naked previously that was very flickable and this particular Z900 doesn't feel that way.  It's a very different bike than the test ride bike.  Tire pressures are exactly as they should be.  

I don't know how I would check the geometry.  I feel like body positioning should make this bike easier to turn in, but I don't know.  Thanks for the input, I'm certainly going to put more miles on these tires before I give up on them, but it's definitely strange.  I remember having Continentals on my first VFR and when I switched to the Michelin's it was like a different bike.  Easier and way more fun to ride.  I'm hoping to get that feeling with this bike too!

• Member Contributer

In my limited experience, Michelins are usually a more "playful" feeling tyre that has better turn-in that say a comparable Bridgestone. There's probably a trade-off for stability but I haven't had any issues. As Mohawk says, steering feel is very subjective, and has an awful lot to do with weight distribution and geometry, not just tyres. I've been running Pilot Road 6s on my current bikes, but they do feel more "sluggish" on my VFR800, whereas the ST1300 and MT10 feel more eager to turn-in on them. 

With your Z900 I would first check that the recommended pressures are used, then look at the suspension sag and make sure you have about 1/4 to 1/3 sag at both ends with you onboard. You can get some change in steering speed by tipping the bike on its nose more i.e. by adding preload at the back and/or softening at the front, or slipping the forks up through the triples a little. 

At the end of the day, a set of new tyres might be all you need, and I can vouch for the Road 6s although due to where/how I ride, I can't comment on straight-line mileage...

• Member Contributer

I'm not being mean, but some of this may be in your head, trying to match a memory that may not be at all accurate. It happens. 

Brands vary. Tire models vary. Even sizes in the same model vary. Here's the same Dunlop rear in three sizes. One steers like a truck, one has less grip at lean, one is sublime. All are completely usable and feel "normal." 

Dunlopsizecomparison.JPG.31b98f15b28e1e564f2d9bdcb045aeee.JPG

Then there's tire pressure, surface material, temperature, and more. Maybe have someone else ride it and provided feedback, or ride another if the dealer has one?

Bike geometry, which is nearly always wrong from the factory. Suspension. What you're feeling through the seat and bars and pegs. How tight you're holding on and even the stiffness in your arms will all have huge effects on how the bike "feels." Is your a$$ on the seat or is some weight on your legs? 

I think that you're looking for a tire solution for a tire non-problem. $.02 worth...certainly worth less. 

A few more fun ones:

DunlopQvsQ2.jpg.edc9de27f5ba35c988fa76a01522e81e.jpg

And don't even get me going about brake pads. lol It is oil...all over again. 

Vesrapbrakepadcomparison.gif.c04265fe3f4979f4fbf625872c8ad3cc.gif

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Jovinski said:

I don't know how I would check the geometry.  I feel like body positioning should make this bike easier to turn in, but I don't know. 

Download this book (see link below) as it may help with your geometry and setting sag knowledge. As for tires, I've stuck with Michelin for some time now and The Pilot Roads, versus the Pilot Powers aren't that much different except for more longevity with the Pilot Roads. My latest tire for the '01 VFR are the Michelin Power GP and they are a kin to the Pilot Roads maybe a little more sticky but I really haven't been able to put them to a real test.

I will add though, the one tire I tried and really like for turn in and grip are the Pirelli Super Corsa, they are a bit pricey, maybe on par with the Michelin, if not more, but longevity are a bit less. Although, this may be more attributed to mostly track time with them. I just recently put them on my Hawk, but again, have not really had a chance to put them to the test yet there either.

• Thanks 2

• Member Contributer

Not to add to more complexity. did you check the head bearings? Many many moons ago, I had a 250 which Was lazy to turn in. The problem was a too tight head bearing. 

• Like 2

Over the years, I have noticed that when I change to a new tire, I often think its better. The end of life for any tire has less fun in it than the beginning.

I quit buying Michelins because they are too expensive to not use completely. Started running S21's and had a ball. Tossed them when the fun was had. Moved on to Conti's and to Dunlop. Every time it gets better. Also, it is amazing how much difference a pound of air will make in handling. Go up a pound on the front and see if it feels better. Recommended pressure is just that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do appreciate the feedback, everyone!  Temps just hit -2 today, so it will be a bit before I am out on the bike to play with all the possible fixes.  Thanks again!

I’m a dunlop guy as well. I’ve been riding them for decades. Every time I’ve swapped for something else, because of pricing, i regret it, and end up buying dunlops anyway. Arguments with people about tire sizes usually end the conversation. I ride roadsmarts to ntecs, and just cant find anything that is more intuitive in a tire than the dunlops. (Wish I were sponsored for them 😁) i would also check your wheel bearings, and brakes. Sometimes you can have stiction from pads not releasing from the rotors(need pucks popped and cleaned), and sometimes you could have the wrong spacers on the wheels incorrectly, and/or, your spindle is too tight. Tires aren’t the only variable. When weather permits, dig in and check these things out.. good luck and report back. 
oh ya… some shops also put tires on backwards… just puttin it out there… 

• Like 1