Two and a half years later.....

Bent

• Member Contributer

It's two and a half years later, on Christmas day in fact, since my last post here. Thought I would cruise on over to VFRD and take a look at what's going on.  I didn't go to "The Dark Side"  (see my post below), I am completely out of the bike business.  In April of next year (2024) I am scheduled for back surgery at Cleveland Clinic to hopefully get at least part of a truly messed up back fixed.  I'm dreading the surgery but hoping it will do some good.  I have learned more than I want to know about the spine.  One of those things being that most spine doctors aren't qualified, hence, a trip to Cleveland Clinic, allegedly the best.  If your back isn't a mess, be thankful.  Motorcycles don't help back health.  That's what got me out of motorcycles.  In January, I go to get yet another double epidural in my back (four shots with very long needles).  Not as bad as it sounds, for temporary relief. 

In this time since last posting, I think I may have seen one VFR on the roads.  They seem to have faded away.  In fact, I don't see many of any kind of motorcycle on the roads compared to the 2000...single digit years.  Times may have changed and people sure have with me being one of them.  This back issue has been life changing.  

I clearly remember the old gang back in the "glory years" of renting the Franklin Motel and running the roads in Western NC, putting around 400 miles on the bike in a day in the twisties.  Those days have come and gone for me.  The wife and I still drive on over there now and then just to escape the home place.  The Dragon doesn't have the same demographic on it as it once did.  Fewer sport bikes everytime we go.  A lot of people haven't slain The Dragon but did get slain themselves.  It doesn't attract me any longer probably due to enough miles on it. 

Just checking in and wondering who is left on this forum.  No doubt some new members and I'll surf around and see if who from the old gang is still here. 

Merry Christmas 2023....Bent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

You're right on all of that. The Dragon is worse than it has even been. Road condition out there is bad too. RT28 use dto be like a pool table, but now is pretty dreadful. Cherohala is similar. There are less bikes, more money in them, and certainly less skill. We were lucky to ride a lot during the peak. 🙂

Good luck with the surgery and happy holidays. 

• Member Contributer

Hello Bent, Dutchy's still here.

After totalling redslut in 2016, got another 4th gen a few years ago.

Wishing your op works out.

Merry Christmas Jim! I'm still here as well. We still meet in Franklin every spring but it's down to about 20-25 regulars who show up. Wish you were still coming because these days I'm one of the oldest😉. We are doing good if we get three VFRs. It's a testament to the people that we still have a crowd at all. My wife had her second back surgery the week before Thanksgiving. She had spent month looking for a doctor for this one and ended up at UAB. It was great to see her walking two days post surgery and it was without pain for the first time in years. Hope yours goes as well.

As for riding, I've found a group of folks from North Alabama over on ADVrider and we get out for a day ride a couple of times a month. I'm riding a blue Tiger660 these days so give me a wave if you see me over your way.

• Member Contributer

Having my own medical issues to deal with this year, I can sympathize, hopefully you'll have a speedy recovery. Hope you had a good Christmas at least and here's to a healthier and pain free New Year to you!

Cheers,

D