Annual Maintenance for Low Annual Mileage

Skids

• Member Contributer

I'm looking to build a schedule of maintenance items for my precious '01 based on time rather than mileage as I wont be riding it very much in order to preserve her in the condition she's in now but the Service Manual and Owners Manual are focussed around servicing at mileage intervals rather than time so I wondered if anyone has a list of annual and bi-annual etc items that need inspecting and/or replacing or suggestions?

The SM/OM state coolant, brake & clutch fluids are replaced every 2 years but what about oil/filter, air filter, brake pads etc? I'm thinking annually but not sure and would appreciate some opinions (not sure that's a good idea but here goes....). :beer:

20230407_124953.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

And of course, how long should I leave it before I check the valve shims? The bike is already 22 years old and not had one yet. Is it purely a mileage-related check or does a time element come into it at any stage?

• Member Contributer

Yeah, looks great on that model.

Idk...   coolant and brake fluid every 2 years as normal?  I would say annual on the oil change.  The remaining items should be able to stay mileage related.

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

I would view the below as mileage items:

Brake pads

Chain and sprockets (keep lubed to ward off surface rust)

Valve check - changes due to heat cycles and movement

Time related:

Oil

Coolant

Brake fluid

Fork oil - 5 years?

Clean electrical connectors - corrosion can still happen over time even without riding.

Petrol tank - keep full to ward off rust and use fuel stabiliser.

Injectors - can't hurt to use an injector cleaner to help keep them clean when riding.

Tyres - after using 7 year old tyres I wouldn't again. Fit something sporty that will wear out before 5 years is reached. Get your moneys worth! Keep on stands to avoid flat spots.

Battery - tender or swap in a battery from one of the others when you want to drive it, saves buying a battery that sits on a tender for most of its life.

Mice protection  - may not affect you, plug exhaust and airbox.

Bodywork - keep covered with a soft cover even garaged. Detail and polish as the urge grabs you.

ACF on metal fittings and fixings.

Hoses - over time will get old and hard. Buy replacements now and hoard for later.

Rear hub - may be prudent to strip and regrease and then move periodically to stop it seizing, grease gumming up (?)

That's all I can think of right now but good advance thinking 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Member Contributer

Bren, that all looks like very sound advice, thanks for taking the time to reply so thoroughly. :beer:

I'll start writing a schedule. 

I like the tyre advice, never thought of that. I have a soft cover and tender and I think you've pretty much covered the rest there.

Cheers! 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Hi Skids.

- Don't worry about coolant depending on when you last changed it? For example Honda Type 2 coolant has a recommended service life of 60,000miles or near enough 100,000kms, or 5 years. By reducing the heat cycles with what you're doing probably helps to extend the 5 years time interval.

- Agree with changing clutch and brake fluid no longer than every two years as this stuff absorbs moisture over time degrading it's performance and potentially inducing corrosion.

- Agree with a full tank of fuel with stabilizer added. Avoid Ethanol blended fuel for long term storage.!

- Battery, regular charge or hooked up to an intelligent charger/maintainer.

- If you have not long replaced oil and filter with a high quality semi or full synthetic oil, can't see the need to replace this on a time basis, assume we're not talking years and years!

- A good squirt of chain lube prior to storage is a good idea.

- Like the suggestion of blocking off the air filter intakes for rodent protection, if you live where the little buggars are!

- Add a few extra psi to both tires prior to storage, set the bike up on its center stand.

- Never heard of valves being something to worry about for storage, how long are we talking about here?

- Brake pads will last a lifetime - if you never use them! Replace only when worn to minimums.

Disclaimer - As always YMMV.

Love the look of your 5gen.

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Cheers Grum :beer:

Valves will be done at 16k miles, as recommended but that could be years away so I was wondering if time had an input into them but I doubt it.

My '98 had at least 3 exhaust shims needing replacing at every 16k service all the way to 139k.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Skids said:

Bren, that all looks like very sound advice, thanks for taking the time to reply so thoroughly. :beer:

I'll start writing a schedule. 

I like the tyre advice, never thought of that. I have a soft cover and tender and I think you've pretty much covered the rest there.

Cheers! 

No worries, probably not a comprehensive list and there will be a few more points but that's all I can think of quickly. 

I would like to see your schedule when it's finished if you don't mind, always good to get more ideas.

I wonder if the reason you and others needed shims replacing so regularly was because the valve springs were out of a slightly substandard batch which either weren't tensioned sufficiently or conversely over-tensioned requiring regular shim changes. Not sure just throwing it out there.

• Member Contributer

No idea m8, just recall the difference in my experience over 130,000 miles vs others who didn't have to change shims.

I liked yr idea of buying hoses now for future use when they may no longer be available, but it's not cheap.

Not sure if all these parts would be needed but the cost of these: 2, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 x 2, 17, 18 x 2, 22 & 23 is £229.13. That is a bit of an investment, especially as I checked all the hoses on my 22 year old sub-9000 mile VFR which hadn't been ridden in 6 years and only completed 400 miles in the last 16 years and none of the hoses appeared to have deteriorated at all.

Does anyone know if any particular hoses/seals are prone to deterioration?

coolinghoses.thumb.jpg.6f0d9c6471f3ee387adad2b1c0a041c3.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well I intend to get the RS3 hoses and keep them till I need them.

I would be replacing seals 16, 17 & 18 when the time comes.

• Member Contributer

Probably means AS3 hoses... plenty of members here have purchased them... 

https://www.as3performance.com/collections/silicone-radiator-hoses-honda-vfr-800

Skids... what is your current milage today?

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Bren pointed out to keep the gas tank full... adding my OCD to it.. I also have a bike not ridden much and try to keep the tank full...plus I give the bars a good shake once in awhile to distribute all around the surfaces... (no rust allowed) 

9000? holy xxxx...wow.....  beautiful silver....

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, mello dude said:

Bren pointed out to keep the gas tank full... adding my OCD to it.. I also have a bike not ridden much and try to keep the tank full...plus I give the bars a good shake once in awhile to distribute all around the surfaces... (no rust allowed) 

9000? holy xxxx...wow.....  beautiful silver....

Yes, a lucky find and my plan is to keep the mileage down whilst still riding her occasionally.

That's my routine as well. :beer:

20230407_125028.thumb.jpg.988f8cbaf2b3d31ca4036bdee72daca0.jpg20230407_125128.thumb.jpg.74cbffab8f014f6d032bd53fdc916924.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Bren said:

Well I intend to get the RS3 hoses and keep them till I need them.

I would be replacing seals 16, 17 & 18 when the time comes.

Ordered!

Thanks. :beer:

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, mello dude said:

Probably means AS3 hoses... plenty of members here have purchased them... 

https://www.as3performance.com/collections/silicone-radiator-hoses-honda-vfr-800

Skids... what is your current milage today?

Thanks for the correction....ordered. :beer:

• Member Contributer

You will need to consider waht hose clamps to use also.... AS3 set or I am looking at Norma based on... 

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, Skids said:

Ordered!

Thanks. :beer:

Oops as Mello said AS3.

I'm in Ireland on holidays so going off my Guinness fuelled memory. Good move to get them now before they stop producing them, only Samco after that and they are $$$$

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 7/22/2023 at 2:00 PM, Bren said:

I would like to see your schedule when it's finished if you don't mind, always good to get more ideas.

@Bren - sorry it took so long, starting on winter service next week. Here's a wip, not doing 18 month replacements (air filter) and right now I'm thinking air filter every 2 years. Also still tempted to take a look at the valve shims. I know it's only 9000 miles but it's also 22 years. Dunno.

1.thumb.jpg.b9ef0cbef12dd672d29396b621f59552.jpg

Fi Long Term Servicing Plan.docx

• Member Contributer

@Skids looks good to me. I would do the electrical connectors purely due to the age, I see you have this listed already. Do you intend to change out the most likely stock RR? I got a CBR500 one which is a FH020 and it´s working perfectly, I used the Metri Pack connectors for the stator connection also instead of hard wiring them so I can remove it if necessary. If it gives you peace of mind then check the valves, won´t harm anything.

Enjoy the servicing its a great winter pastime when its not possible to ride 🍺

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

@Bren the RR is original. I have fitted a voltmeter and already have a replacement upgraded RR waiting in a box.

Just oil and filter this winter but I may decide to check the shims next winter. :beer: 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Annual service whilst she is off the road fir the winter. Plus fit new levers and a replacement binnacle as the PO made a huge scratch in this one 

20240128_140631.jpg

20240128_143856.jpg

IMG-20240128-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20240128-WA0004.jpeg